Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,501 members, 7,816,191 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

My Wife's English Is Terrible! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's English Is Terrible! (8771 Views)

3 Days After Our Wedding, My Wife Can't Stop Crying / How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? / Could My Wife Be Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by agabaI23(m): 8:01pm On Jan 07, 2010
MAYOWAAK:

YOUR WIFE'S DEFICIENCY IN SPEAKING ENGLISH SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE BECAUSE I DOUBT THAT HAS NOT MADE HER LESS INTELLIGENT AND LOVING.OF WHAT USE IS A WIFE THAT HAS A FLAWLESS COMMAND OF THE ENGLISH LANGUGE BUT LACKS THE QUALITIES OF A GOOD WIFE?

MARRIAGE IS FOR BETTER grin

Thank you I agree with you 100%
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by MAYOWAAK: 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2010
ogb5:

Buy this book for her "English Without Tears" by Elizabeth Pryse

and study it with her

IN ADDITION, I RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BOOKS:FIRST AID IN ENGLISH,BRIGHTER GRAMMAR AND MASTERING ENGLISH.UNFORTUNATELY I CAN"T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE AUTHORS.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by ymozay: 8:07pm On Jan 07, 2010
Take her as she is or look for ways to help improve her English
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by agabaI23(m): 8:08pm On Jan 07, 2010
MAYOWAAK:

IN ADDITION, I RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BOOKS:FIRST AID IN ENGLISH,BRIGHTER GRAMMAR AND MASTERING ENGLISH.UNFORTUNATELY I CAN"T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE AUTHORS.
reading those stuff will be boring for an adult. reading novels will improve her english within 6 months without her labouring.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by eyoniggar(m): 8:11pm On Jan 07, 2010
Poster, are you sure she didnt say ' yes I does" during the wedding service in church?

Consistency is speaking English with her and correcting her at the right time should improve her.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by kokoye(m): 8:17pm On Jan 07, 2010
eyoniggar:

Poster, are you sure she didnt say ' yes I does" during the wedding service in church?

Consistency is speaking English with her and correcting her at the right time should improve her.

grin grin grin

The mic went off when she was about to say that.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Flavio: 8:44pm On Jan 07, 2010
Rubbish, Crap.

You should have thought carefully about it before you married her. Keep her, nah for better for worse!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by TPS360: 8:56pm On Jan 07, 2010
whats her level of education?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by mendax: 9:09pm On Jan 07, 2010
Inoticed that the poster hasn't responded since his initial post. I am just wondering how speaking impeccable English is so important to a husband or how bad can her English be. Though, many responses on the topic Are excellent, I personally feel that u may not achieve much if u take a slate and chalk and attempt to tutor her. Husbands aren't the best to do this. If it comes down to the slate & chalk, u may wish to get a 3rd party. (though the husband could pra tucally correct her grammer, depending on how bad the grammer is, cos u don't want to start upsetting ur wife ).

I also agree on the opinion that reading novels and newspapers would be more productive for an adult than brighter grammer.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by LadyT(f): 9:10pm On Jan 07, 2010
Is her bad english stopping her from being a good wife and partner?

I mean for Gods sake dont look for trouble where there is none.

Help her by teaching her or correcting her NICELY.

By the way how do you know your own english is up to standard?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by rafcrown(m): 9:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
DONT GIVE UP YET
START FROM KNOWN TO UNKNOWN
A FOR APPLE
B FOR BOY
C FOR CAR

TEACH HER DAILY
EXPLORE ALL OPPORTUNITIES AND AVENUES
ONE MUSICIAN SANG GRAMMAR NO BE MONEY
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by rafcrown(m): 9:16pm On Jan 07, 2010
DONT GIVE UP YET
START FROM KNOWN TO UNKNOWN
A FOR APPLE
B FOR BOY
C FOR CAR

TEACH HER DAILY
EXPLORE ALL OPPORTUNITIES AND AVENUES
ONE MUSICIAN SANG GRAMMAR NO BE MONEY
WHEN U KISS HER ENGLISH NO BE PROBLEM

1 Like

Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 07, 2010
I see no one suggesting a year's worth of sermon in Pst. Chris Okotie's church, weekly activities inclusive
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by chika98: 9:26pm On Jan 07, 2010
That is why I won't even mess with someone whose English is crappy
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by agabaI23(m): 9:30pm On Jan 07, 2010
chika98:

That is why I won't even mess with someone whose English is crappy
OK
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by edoreedore(m): 9:31pm On Jan 07, 2010
please dont worry my friend, english language is no issue if you love your wife, correct her in love and adhere to most of the advices afore mentioned. but dont let it be an issue in your love life, remember Bleep the west and love your own
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by sofadj(m): 9:34pm On Jan 07, 2010
start by interacting with her always in english language, above all anytime she makes a mistake while speaking please correct her in love! also note that impeccable english is not a pre-requisite for good marriage.
Goodluck as she improves

dts all
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by adconline(m): 9:36pm On Jan 07, 2010
does she want to become a lawyer or Jerry Gana?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by mindeh(f): 9:53pm On Jan 07, 2010
you married her so deal with it.i dont think not knowing a particxular language should be a big issue.am sure she will improve with time.just show her how much it means to you for her to be good in it
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by SisiKill1: 10:07pm On Jan 07, 2010
You can crack her head open, stuff it with all the english books in the world but if she she's not WILLING to learn, she'll never learn. So the first thing you have to do is get her interested in the task.

Who was it who said. . .There's nothing hard for a willing heart? Oh yeah, that would be my mama and she's never wrong. cheesy

Good luck to ya.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Sdot1(m): 10:09pm On Jan 07, 2010
Make it a point that you both converse in english. And better still get her an adult teacher.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Eagleseye1: 10:36pm On Jan 07, 2010
arkinses:

I see no one suggesting a year's worth of sermon in Pst. Chris Okotie's church, weekly activities inclusive

ROFLMAO!!!!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by whiteroses(f): 10:46pm On Jan 07, 2010
hope you dont mind me asking? where do you live and whats her job?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by agabaI23(m): 10:47pm On Jan 07, 2010
whiteroses:

hope you dont mind me asking? where do you live and whats her job?
If you know what will u do? tongue
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by whiteroses(f): 11:05pm On Jan 07, 2010
agabaI23:

If you know what will u do? tongue
ha, me i just dey wonder where she commits her blunders, i hope say na naija she dey, and i hope she nor be a primary school teacher, i just dey ask
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by TOPE20001(f): 11:06pm On Jan 07, 2010
Ekpara:

My wife's english is terrible.I knew this before we got married but i thought she could develop herself to improve her language skills.Two years after, it is still the same.She does not look at developing that aspect as an important issue.
This is really giving me some concern.
Please, advise on a way forward.orward.

There is nothing u can do abt it now.
Happy married life cool
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by altavista(m): 11:07pm On Jan 07, 2010
The spoken written English of many people making suggestions on this thread is atrocious to say the least.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by tureal(m): 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2010
@ poster she nor sabi speak pigin,, ,, english na your papa language,, polish or italian women speak bad english yet 9ja men dey marry dem,, your fellow country woman wan you marry na you dey complain say she no sabi english,, abeg show the sister love moreover is more sex-c wan you kn how to speak better pigin than english.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by netotse(m): 11:15pm On Jan 07, 2010
@all the slate-and-chalk- people
he said her english is terrible, he didnt say she's an illiterate! esp since there are many educated nigerians that cant string proper sentences together. . .sometimes i'm tempted to think NL is their headquarters sef

@all the till-death-do-us-part people
he didnt say he was thinking of getting a divorce did he?

@all the so-what people
so he shouldn't try to do anything about it abi? wot if he's running for gov later in life and during his campaign she comes out and says 'i will always does my best for the people of this state' i'm sure some of the same ppl will jump on the poor man. what if his job requires him having to attend functions with her?

@OP
in addition to some of the good suggestions, (getting novels and documentaries for her to watch) i'd recommend y'all start reading aloud to each other occasionally maybe before bedtime(if its only her it might seem 'somehow' plus the reading to each other sounds, romantic cheesy), my siblings and i used to take turns reading aloud to the family every day while we were growing up,  and i can tell you it worked wonders for my spoken engreeesh o. . .i cant fit to shout!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Ipsi(f): 11:39pm On Jan 07, 2010
if you want to make her language skills better, you can contact us at Youlookfab, we are image consultants and can help with diction and voice training. Yes you need the services of an english teacher experienced in adult education. 08022276300. our blog http://youlookfab./
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Olong(m): 11:52pm On Jan 07, 2010
4ny post, 4nyposter, 4ny responses!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by oyinda3(f): 11:54pm On Jan 07, 2010
whoever said SLATE AND CHALK omg u bad cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A / How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It / Advice Needed! Am I So Picky As Regards To This Issue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.