Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

My Wife's English Is Terrible! - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's English Is Terrible! (8774 Views)

3 Days After Our Wedding, My Wife Can't Stop Crying / How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? / Could My Wife Be Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by No2Atheism(m): 4:50am On Jan 09, 2010
@poster

- I would advise u start going to see a marriage counsellor . . .cus i feel what is happening to you is the beginning of an excuse to cheat on your wife . . . cus before u know whats happening your mind might start thinking about ladies with good english skills (aka begining of Adultery).

- You knew your wife's english was not up to your standard before u got married . . .hence now is not the time to start making it an issue. . .

- Do you best to help her improve . . .

- Let her know its bothering u . . . so that she can work on it . . .

- it does not take much to improve ones language . . . the only difference is that it can take different periods of time for different people . . .
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by No2Atheism(m): 4:52am On Jan 09, 2010
FL Gators:

rotflmaooo, you no well tongue

I am well . . .  angry . . .

FL Gators:

But I still be champion sha cool

thats the spirit . . . grin
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Princek12(m): 6:00am On Jan 09, 2010
oral and/or written English?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by bubugul(f): 6:08am On Jan 09, 2010
ada amu aka ekpe n'nka
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Ndeewonu: 7:23am On Jan 09, 2010
bubugul:

ada amu aka ekpe n'nka

Nwanne m nwanyi, I gbaliala n'asusu anyi a I si n'obodo oyibo ede. Otutu n'ime anyi ndi no n'obobo Naijiria enweghi ike idete ya otu a . Onye-nwe-anyi goziere m gi.

Asi m na o buru na asusu Bekee ekweghi nwata nwanyi a amuta, ya bido suwa nke olu ndi be anyi. Ya burugodu Igbo, ma obu Awusa, ma O bu Yoruba, ma o bo Efik, ma o bu Kalabari, ma o bu Ishan. Ma ya ekwela ka ihere mee di ya n'ogbo. Ya ekwula otutu okwu, ya mewe ka onye ogbi, ma o bu onye e jighi ikwu okwu we mara. Nke a ga-enye aka ikpuchi 'mmehie' ya.

Igbo ndi oma m ji eme onu,

Ndeewonu.

Translation:
[my sister, I commend you for writing our language from the whiteman's land. A lot of us who live in Nigeria cannot write it well like you have done. May God bless you.

My opinion is, if his wife cannot learn English, let her speak her native language, be it Igbo, or Hausa, or Yoruba,  But let her not disgrace her husband outside. Let her not be talkative, let her behave like a dumb person or somebody who is NOT known for talking too much. This will help to cover her 'sins.'

I'm proud of Nairaland.]

Ndeewonu.

I know some people will be jealous. Go, speak/write your own language. At least I can speak/write my own & English 100%. If you are angry, write your own language, let's us verify and congratulate u.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 09, 2010
You mean you're proud of being Igbo, instead of NL? undecided
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Builder: 9:31am On Jan 09, 2010
This man sef, the time u met the babe, na breast and toto u first see now u don bulala dem resourses finis na english language u wan bulala again.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by iJAY1: 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2010
I would as well feel embarrassed if i were in your shoes. Get her some good adult tutorials and encourage her to read books. Goodluck man!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by THEAMAKA(f): 6:13pm On Jan 09, 2010
did you not know that before you married her? oh well, the deed is done. live with it!
anyway, she should take adult classes if it's that much of an issue for you.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by mamagee3(f): 7:56pm On Jan 09, 2010
@poster

How good is your own English
? undecided
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by DaRapture: 2:31am On Jan 10, 2010
My wife's english is terrible.I knew this before we got married but i thought she could develop herself to improve her language skills.Two years after, it is still the same.She does not look at developing that aspect as an important issue.
This is really giving me some concern.
Please, advise on a way forward.orward.

Just divorce her and move on to the next chick.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by lovemoi2(f): 2:58am On Jan 10, 2010
the poster is just an assshole looking for an excuse to cheat on his wife, what a jerk
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 3:00am On Jan 10, 2010
lovemoi2:

the poster is just an assshole looking for an excuse to cheat on his wife, what a jerk

This is not a minor issue.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by omoovie(f): 7:34am On Jan 10, 2010
Bah
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by THEAMAKA(f): 7:36am On Jan 10, 2010
omoovie:

Speak to her in your native language. Command of the English language is not a determinant of intelligence quotient, if it was, over half the world is silly.  Enjoy the babe. Love is sexy in any language. Also, you married her knowing full well her conversance of the language was lacking. And, you know you are only worried about her language because of what your "friends" think.  Soooo, search yourself dude.
[size=25pt]GBAM!!![/size]
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 10, 2010
omoovie:

Speak to her in your native language. Command of the English language is not a determinant of intelligence quotient, if it was, over half the world is silly. Enjoy the babe. Love is sexy in any language. Also, you married her knowing full well her conversance of the language was lacking. And, you know you are only worried about her language because of what your "friends" think. Soooo, search yourself dude.

dude don step up naa . thats the problem
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by iviix(m): 9:04am On Jan 10, 2010
her inability to speak doesnt affect her intelligence, my advice is that you beta act fast, build up her vocabulary before your kids are born and start droppin bombs lyk sumbori they know :-) wink
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by redsun(m): 10:43am On Jan 10, 2010
Nothing could be more ear blowing and ear irritating than listening to a suppose uppity nigerian speaking mama's(elizabeth)english with a very loud,thick and an unpolished ascent,trying to sound like the tudor english.

To a sane mind,laying emphasis on a colonial subjected language as a criteria for enlightenment and brightness is mental degradation and insanity.

One of the obvious reason why we are placid,unreasonable and unproductive as a people is because we are not communicating,our assimilation is zero.

Likes marry likes,look into urself.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by tjimoh: 9:10am On Jan 14, 2010
It should be noted that Rome was not built in a day.for u to have understand English fluently then u need a lot of work to do.have u been blessed with child or children in your marriage? If yes, it is not too late for your wife to improve in English because your in terraction with children and wife in english will also help the matter.Nevertheless,that doesn't disturb your matrimonial home in as much is good wife.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nkeon: 12:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
2 years? undecided

Give her some more time!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by SALady(f): 1:03pm On Jan 14, 2010
Poster have you had any talk with your wife about this. I get a sense you havent said anything to her hence she doesnt think of this as an issue or something to take any serious. Please talk to her humbly about the seriousness of the matter and explain why is it so important for her or maybe for you that she learns the language.

I hope you understand that she is already an adult and that this is going to be a mountain for her to get throguh, even more so knowing that she's going to be under a lot of pressure trying to please you and doing this for someone else.

This might be an even bigger problem knowing that you've lived with the situation since you've known her and now two years later in a marriage you want to bring it up. What have you seen better out there? Guess what I am not being mean by asking you this question, just a caution that you should expect such questions from her as she tries to defend herself.

You should talk to her and support her through this. The last thing you need is to make her feel small. This might come out as a personal attack on her esteem and intellect and dont be surprised if she goes on defence mode.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by kokorunna(m): 3:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
Enrol her in an english class grin
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Shinatu: 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Poster

I am sure you saw other ladies who could speak good english, even better than the Queen before you
decided to marry your wife. Something made you ignore them to marry the one you married, please focus on those things and do not stress and frustrate the woman's life by trying to make her what she is not.

If you knew being able to speak good english was this important to you, you should have looked for one who could

These is a lesson for all those who choose patners based on other people's statements of 'a good wife'

That traditional good wife may not just suit you!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Biabeke(f): 12:10am On Feb 01, 2010
Ekpara, do you have to come to this forum to embarrass your wife?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A / How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It / Advice Needed! Am I So Picky As Regards To This Issue?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.