Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,276 members, 7,829,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? (715 Views)

Couple Spotted Using Man In The Box As Back Drop For Wedding Photo - Pictures / A Nairalander Prepares For Wedding With These Prewedding Pixs / My Girlfriend Is Using Another Guy To Play Games With Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by donestk(m): 8:50pm On Apr 29, 2017
"I freed a thousand slaves. I'd have freed more if only they realized that they were slaves" - Anonymous

I watched with dismay how my elder brother cleared his life savings for a few hours wedding only to start from scratch again.

Some fellas will swarm this thread to say "the lady and her guy can handle it their way". But the truth is that families hijack weddings while you foot the bills.

My questions are why please people for few hours and wipe out your life savings only to start from page one again?

Is this culture counterproductive and retrogressive?

These questions are begging for answers.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by SUPERPACK: 8:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
its an african archaic belief, that u must spend big during ur wedding, while the whites make their wedding to be very light and affordable by making their wedding to be strictly on invitation,
-
whats the essence of spending ones life savings just to impress people for a wedding u cant predict even a one year outcome, To me the best wedding is court marriage. time and money efficient.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by 9jayes: 8:56pm On Apr 29, 2017
SUPERPACK:
j
Jonathan
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Safiaa(f): 8:56pm On Apr 29, 2017
God forbid.
I wont even allow my husband to be so stupid. I really don't even want an extravagant wedding. Just a few wedding guests and thats all.

Some men should really learn how to be smart when spending on women. They will empty their bank accounts for females. Negative 100 naira dey your bank acct and you will go home to chop bread and anointing oil. Apply sense please.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 29, 2017
What is "life saving" when your life hasn't ended?
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by donestk(m): 8:59pm On Apr 29, 2017
It's not about stupidity.

It's about being in captivity of western culture and retrogressive traditional beliefs.

Safiaa:
God forbid.
I wont even allow my husband to be so stupid. I really don't even want an extravagant wedding. Just a few wedding guests and thats all.

Some men should really learn how to be smart when spending on women. They will empty their bank accounts for females, then go home to chop bread and annointing oil. Apply sense please.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by tripplephi: 8:59pm On Apr 29, 2017
IN NIGERIA WEDDING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MARRIAGE - FACT

IN NIGERIA MOST WEDDINGS ARE LAST TIME MOST COUPLES WILL EVER BE AS HAPPY.

IN NIGERIA MANY PREPARE MORE FOR THE WEDDING EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT PSYCHOLOGICALLY MATURE FOR MARRIAGE

IN NIGERIA MOST WEDDINGS ARE THE BIGGEST LIES EVER TOLD..... borrowed expensive cars, debts heaped upon debts.... many more

In Nigeria WEDDINGS are a time when people surround you like they will be there for you but ONCE you are MARRIED, everyone walks away and leaves you to sort things out

In Nigeria ladies are so crazy to be wedded than ready to be married.

donestk:
I watched with dismay how my elder brother cleared his life savings for a few hours wedding only to start from scratch again.

Some fellas will swarm this thread to say "the lady and her guy can handle it their way". But the truth is that families hijack weddings while you foot the bills.

The question is why please people for few hours and wipe out your life savings only to start from page one again?

Is this culture counterproductive and retrogressive?

These questions are begging for answers.

Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Safiaa(f): 9:00pm On Apr 29, 2017
Lalasticlala..mynd44.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by donestk(m): 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
You nailed it.

tripplephi:
IN NIGERIA WEDDING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MARRIAGE - FACT

IN NIGERIA MOST WEDDINGS ARE LAST TIME MOST COUPLES WILL EVER BE AS HAPPY.

IN NIGERIA MANY PREPARE MORE FOR THE WEDDING EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT PSYCHOLOGICALLY MATURE FOR MARRIAGE

IN NIGERIA MOST WEDDINGS ARE THE BIGGEST LIES EVER TOLD..... borrowed expensive cars, debts heaped upon debts.... many more

In Nigeria WEDDINGS are a time when people surround you like they will be there for you but ONCE you are MARRIED, everyone walks away and leaves you to sort things out

In Nigeria ladies are so crazy to be wedded than ready to be married.

Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
Oya na

Shebi you no go chop after the wedding?
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Safiaa(f): 9:04pm On Apr 29, 2017
I dont care, you can blame it on whatever you want. It's very stupid for a man to spend all his savings and every last penny on his wedding day, which will last less than 24 hours. A man with sense wouldn't be blinded by the western culture/traditions to empty his bank account dry for one day. Thats basic human knowledge. As an adult you should be able to understand the significance of spending wisely and saving.
donestk:
It's not about stupidity.

It's about being in captivity of western culture and retrogressive traditional beliefs.

Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by feldido(m): 9:11pm On Apr 29, 2017
In Today's economy u just can't help it.
Before u knw it, you have spent a Million Naira without doing anything.
Things are too expensive, but what can one do?
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by donestk(m): 9:12pm On Apr 29, 2017
You're still missing the basic point.

In Nigeria, a guy and a girl intending to get married don't have 100 percent say in this context.

Being adult in the western context does not apply here.

Safiaa:
I dont care, you can blame it on whatever you want. It's very stupid for a man to spend all his savings and every last penny on his wedding day, which will last less than 24 hours. A man with sense wouldn't be blinded by the western culture/traditions to empty his bank account dry for one day. Thats basic human knowledge. As an adult you should be able to understand the significance of spending wisely and saving.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by donestk(m): 9:13pm On Apr 29, 2017
Are you saying nothing can be done?

feldido:
In Today's economy u just can't help it.
Before u knw it, you have spent a Million Naira without doing anything.
Things are too expensive, but what can one do?
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by yomi007k(m): 9:15pm On Apr 29, 2017
donestk:
You're still missing the basic point.

In Nigeria, a guy and a girl intending to get married don't have 100 percent say in this context.

Being adult in the western context does not apply here.

Forget dt tin...do court n traditional weddig n go home.

E be like una neva see hunger before.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by firstking01(m): 9:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
That your brother needs a brain re-vamping asap....wedding is just a day event.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Apr 29, 2017
Wedding is just a ceremony where people come and eat your food,drop a gift(a miserable one in some cases),dust their butts and take their leave... The parent's blessing alongside with few witnesses and a certificate is all that matters.

1 Like

Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Archangels2(m): 9:30pm On Apr 29, 2017
As for me....it would b quick and simple. I cannot break bank to show face..anybody that would av a problem with that should either foot d bills or not come
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Nutase: 9:34pm On Apr 29, 2017
Mistake of a life time. Try it at your own detriment.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by Origin(f): 11:07pm On Apr 29, 2017
Yes yes yes.
If you don't mind soaking garri the next day.

Everyone knows the outcome of their actions so why do you still need to put mouth.
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by babyfaceafrica: 11:08pm On Apr 29, 2017
Nope..wedding is a day..marriage is for life..be wise
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by edimolu(m): 11:10pm On Apr 29, 2017
Safiaa:
God forbid.

Some men should really learn how to be smart when spending on women. They will empty their bank accounts for females. Negative 100 naira dey your bank acct and you will go home to chop bread and anointing oil. Apply sense please.
Everytin na diss upon diss for you......wah makes u think dis way?.....have u ever thot of wah any man could be asked to spend on brideprice alone? undecided
Re: Is Using Up One's Life Savings For Wedding Worth It? by feldido(m): 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2017
donestk:
Are you saying nothing can be done?

The Value of d Naira is nothing to write home about, it's just worthless

(1) (Reply)

Help!! She Gives Me Green-light But I'm Short Of Words / Woman Who Has S*X With Men In Return For Free Holidays / I Need A Nigerian Lady In US For A Serious Relationship. I Have My Papers Alread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.