Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) (54226 Views)

Popoola Kehinde Esther Gets FG's Scholarship (Photos) / Meet Lilliana Akah, A Talented 13-Year-Old Nigerian Who Has Written 9 Books / Phd, A Must For University Teachers From 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Nobody: 3:06pm On May 02, 2017
eitsei:
I agree with you not downplaying her achievement but at 13 she should still be playing with her mates
Her case will just be like those guys in big band theory, they don't know anything about social interactions or relationships because they missed out a lot on their childhood, those guys at 30 they are still reading comic books and they think life is like what they see in cartoons

I'll say Bleep it. Life is what you make it. >:

1 Like

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by gabe: 3:06pm On May 02, 2017
Lol, i nor too blame d guy. We will do 1st degree for like 6yrs due to strike, masters for 5+yrs due to yeye supervisor, phd for 10 yrs. U go don old before u START real research work. So most lecturers end up stealing their students work or devise other means of getting research papers because they r too old to get stuff done. Its as if most nigerian lecturers r scared of losing their jobs to their students n frustrate them as much as possible. Education should be about ability, not a paycheck.

1 Like

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 02, 2017
eitsei:
I agree with you not downplaying her achievement but at 13 she should still be playing with her mates
Her case will just be like those guys in big band theory, they don't know anything about social interactions or relationships because they missed out a lot on their childhood, those guys at 30 they are still reading comic books and they think life is like what they see in cartoons

I'll say fuuckk it. Life is what you make it >:
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 02, 2017
nothing to celebrate, but the advanced countries who gave this ekpa twitter and all he knows today celebrate her abilities...what a fool and a presidential aide at that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 02, 2017
I understand where Tolu is coming from. In Nigeria you don't need education to achieve anything. People dey even become President with NEPA bill. So why will she need a PhD.

BTW
Tolu been dey get sense DAT year.
Why is it that anything Buhari uses or touches starts diminishing?
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 3:26pm On May 02, 2017
enemmo:

I think a 13 year old should be allowed to be 13 because that's the only time she will be 13.

This is the only sensible comment I have read on this thread.

It is a sad commentary on our own perception of what education is, that most commentators here think it is mostly about what is read in books. People, the education of a human being is a process of self consciousness and place in society - ever before it becomes a return in value to society.

What is being celebrated here has potential to gravely damage that Child's balanced development and social integration.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by theimporter(m): 3:26pm On May 02, 2017
I wonder
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by delishpot: 3:29pm On May 02, 2017
See how he is basking in his stupidity sha shocked if she likes it, is passionate about it and has the skills to become a neurosurgeon by 15, what is his business there?

1 Like

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 3:38pm On May 02, 2017
delishpot:
See how he is basking in his stupidity sha shocked if she likes it, is passionate about it and has the skills to become a neurosurgeon by 15, what is his business there?

Have you considered the various ethical and complex emotional decisions a neuro surgeon has to wade through, and do you consider that a 15 year old may have the maturity to handle and balance such, as well as the stamina to witness trauma professionally?

Do you think such can be acquired by passing exams by fifteen?

I fear it is you who has not considered this matter carefully.

1 Like

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by pinkpant: 3:40pm On May 02, 2017
But seriously does she understand what she studies or she's just very good at cram work.
it's just like a 9 year old girl developing breasts and you say She's ready to marry and bear a child.

1 Like

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by delishpot: 3:43pm On May 02, 2017
DeepSight:

Have you considered the various ethical and complex emotional decisions a neuro surgeon has to wade through, and do you consider that a 15 year old may have the maturity to handle and balance such, as well as the stamina to witness trauma professionally?

Do you think such can be acquired by passing exams by fifteen?

I fear it is you who has not considered this matter carefully.

Like I said, if she can, why not? Broaden your mind. Nothing is set on stone in life. If she is matured in her brain and mind and she willingly dedicates time to do it, then why stop her? Most that should be done is to put her under the tutelage of a qualified master to guide her until she can be trusted to handle things unsupervised rather than stopping her from pursuing her dreams and goals. I a sure if she had won a rap contest or some mediocre competition that adds nothing to the developmental guage of society, people would have been ooohhing and wowing by now. That mediocre complaining would have posted her stage performance video and title it AMAZING. Isnt it the same level of dedication it would take for her to be a movie or sport super star? TTT And other Big brother house mates are celebrated by the fed government for sucking dicks and boobs ? Romman goddess and Bobrisky are talk of town too.yet this man is angry over a girl dedicating her time to aquire accademic excellence?

4 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Chyxki: 3:47pm On May 02, 2017
She might be less matured than others, but the truth remains that she has EARNED it!

There is every reason for her to be celebrated because it's not easy, It's academics; it's not Big Brother!

3 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 3:48pm On May 02, 2017
delishpot:

Like I said, if she can, why not? Broaden your mind. Nothing is set on stone in life. If she is matured in her brain and mind and she willingly dedicates time to do it, then why stop her? Most that should be done is to put her under the tutelage of a qualified master to guide her until she can be trusted to handle things unsupervised rather than stopping her from pursuing her dreams and goals. I a sure if she had won a rap contest people would have been ooohhing and wowing by now.

This is irresponsible.
There is a reason there exists an age of majority for heavens sake.

Or do you think that is nonsense too?
And here you are advocating that children who are not permitted to drive, to vote or to enter contracts - should be allowed to take up such advanced medical responsibilities as even neuro surgery.

You are being both irresponsible and ignorant.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 02, 2017
chimebube:
President Buhari's media aide, Tolu Ogunlesi, who is also Head of Digital Communication for the Nigerian President, has slammed @Blacktolive, a Twitter handle which celebrates anything concerning black excellence, for celebrating Esther Okade, a 13-year-old British-Nigerian who is set to earn her PhD by 2018.

Esther Okade came to limelight in 2015, after a CNN report revealed that the British-Nigerian youngster was one of U.K's youngest college freshmen, after she enrolled at the Open University, a UK-based distance learning college, in January 2015 at the age of 10 and was on top of her class.

Tolu Ogunlesi who took to Twitter to disclose how he feels about Esther Okade's celebration on Black to Live, said that he sees nothing worth celebrating there, and further asked what a 13-year-old will be doing with a PhD.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2017/05/i-dont-see-anything-worth-celebrating.html
you think every country is like this useless county where oldies are the only ones qualify to earn PHD with white hair, go to US and see what teenagers in IT are doing,if we can have child hackers at 8yrs what is PHD,if you must know PHD is not a big deal outside .

2 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by delishpot: 3:52pm On May 02, 2017
DeepSight:

This is irresponsible.
There is a reason there exists an age of majority for heavens sake.

Or do you think that is nonsense too?
And here you are advocating that children who are not permitted to drive, to vote or to enter contracts - should be allowed to take up such advanced medical responsibilities as even neuro surgery.

You are being both irresponsible and ignorant.

When your chilld shows such skills, knowledge and passion, feel free to dump water on his/her fire and kill the spark. Leave this one, her degree no affect you in anyway.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by dingbang(m): 4:04pm On May 02, 2017
Please who was Jesus teaching when he was 12yrs old?

Somebody should answer my question fast

2 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by babyfaceafrica: 4:05pm On May 02, 2017
He has a point though... So after PhD what next?..who will she lecture?.. This gal is missing a lot in her formative social years..I hope it doesn't hurt her in future..who PhD help if you can't enjoy life!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 4:05pm On May 02, 2017
delishpot:

When your chilld shows such skills, knowledge and passion, feel free to dump water on his/her fire and kill the spark. Leave this one, her degree no affect you in anyway.

Stop personalizing the issue, you are tempting me to believe you are not properly educated on anything.
It has significant societal connotations when growing children are denied a proper childhood in a bid to super-excel the development level of their peers. Mind you this takes nothing away from making special provisions for Gifted Children. Right here in Nigeria we had a special school for Gifted Children (I hope it still exists). However fast-tracking a 13 year old to PHD studies will surely take away very important aspects of the Child's natural development which are very crucial for growing into a balanced and well rounded adult. I say again, Education is much more than reading books but I am surprised that this is lost on you. Perhaps you think people go to University only to read specific courses and nothing more.

Aside from those very obvious humanistic concerns perhaps you should avert your mind to the simple questions I hinted at, when you advocated making 15 year old neuro surgeons if they have the "ability". Ability in your mind is obviously an academic issue alone and just knowing that about you saddens me, as it is also true of the thinking of many parents eager to see their child more brilliantly acclaimed than any others. It is a shallow, ignorant and irresponsible attitude to parenting.

So just answer the questions:

1. Why not give a super talented 10 year old driver the legal right to drive?

2. Why not give a super talented 10 year old political analyst the right to vote?

3. Why not give a super talented 10 year old legal mind the right to enter into contracts?

Please just show me that you have an education by providing quality answers to these which should help along your view that you may thrust the responsibilities of a neuro surgeon on a 15 year old as well.

Don't worry about what I will do with my child prodigy - if at all I ever am blessed with a child. Just answer the above for now.
Thank you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by GeorgeTheCoder: 4:08pm On May 02, 2017
ikp120:
He is right sha.

Some people have extremely amazing memories, so they can handle anything that has to do with books very easily without stress at all. But working in real life(after school) is more than what you read in school books but more of real life stuffs like communication and advanced human relationship.

I also doubt if she is eligible for some kinda real big jobs before she's 18 or there about. I think there are laws in developed countries that govern labour ages.

The truth is that she is a minor. No just a minor, but a really minor minor.

I just hope that she will be able to cope sha.

You just wrote nonsense.
Google the term 'child prodigy' and inform yourself of the possible paths her career can take and how prodigy's are employed to drive society's advancement.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by lazygal: 4:09pm On May 02, 2017
ellagabs:
i concor...
hia in nigeria som stil dey batle wt 1st degree at d age of 35yrs

This guy has a point think out side the box.. After the PhD what next ? No one will employ her .do u get his point ?he is not been negative but asking a logical question

The only thing she can do is to go for more degrees that's all

2 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by chiraqDemon(m): 4:10pm On May 02, 2017
AZeD1:

She is missing out on a whole lot of fun and doing what kids her age are doing.

Child prodigies rarely turn out to be great in their adult years.
I think i agree with u on this
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by delishpot: 4:10pm On May 02, 2017
DeepSight:

Stop personalizing the issue, you are tempting me to believe you are not properly educated on anything.
It has significant societal connotations when growing children are denied a proper childhood in a bid to super-excel the development level of their peers. Mind you this takes nothing away from making special provisions for Gifted Children. Right here in Nigeria we has a special school for Gifted Children (I hope it still exists). However fast-tracking a 13 year old to PHD studies will surely take away very important aspects of the Child's natural development which are very crucial for growing into a balanced and well rounded adult. I say again, Education is much more than reading books but I am surprised that this is lost on you. Perhaps you think people go to University only to read specific courses and nothing more.

Aside from those very obvious humanistic concerns perhaps you should avert your mind to the simple questions I hinted at, when you advocated making 15 year old neuro surgeons if they have the "ability". Ability in your mind is obviously an academic issue alone and just knowing that about you saddens me, as it is also true of the thinking of many parents eager to see their child more brilliantly acclaimed than any others. It is a shallow, ignorant and irresponsible attitude to parenting.

So just answer the questions:

1. Why not give a super talented 10 year old driver the legal right to drive?

2. Why not give a super talented 10 year old political analyst the right to vote?

3. Why not give a super talented 10 year old legal mind the right to enter into contracts?

Please just show me that you have an education by providing quality answers to these which should help along your view that you may thrust the responsibilities of a neuro surgeon on a 15 year old as well.

Don't worry about what I will do with my child prodigy - if at all I ever am blessed with a child. Just answer the above for now.
Thank you.

Why stop a child from aquiring those skills even if he would not be permited to use them now? And yes, why cant a child vote? Why cant a young child who is skilled and smart enter into contracts? Those rules were set by man not God so go figure. Kings can be crowned at age 8 to rule people even though they are under the guidiance of someone mature which was exactly what I stated before. Why cant young knowledgeable kids do same? I said she should be allowed to learn if it is what she wants and someone mature should take her under their wings until she can function legally. What is wrong in that?Why must you pour water to kill their spark?

3 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by lazygal: 4:11pm On May 02, 2017
GeorgeTheCoder:

You just wrote nonsense.
Google the term 'child prodigy' and inform yourself of the possible paths her career can take and how prodigy's are employed to drive society's advancement.

Educate us and give us examples as in Practical examples .the only thing is her been moved about to encourage others discuss her secrets example .the so called child prodigy u refer to how successful has it Been ?
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by joey150(m): 4:11pm On May 02, 2017
gwmlogistic:
. Tolu mind ur biz.

In other news. Urgent sales. Fairly used AC @ very reasonable price

So you one sell una AC for office URGENTLY?

Is oga aware grin?
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by louis1995: 4:13pm On May 02, 2017
What did she study though? Cuz all courses are not the same
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by ikp120(m): 4:15pm On May 02, 2017
GeorgeTheCoder:

You just wrote nonsense.
Ok, bye1
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by GeorgeTheCoder: 4:16pm On May 02, 2017
lazygal:

Educate us and give us examples as in Practical examples .the only thing is her been moved about to encourage others discuss her secrets example .the so called child prodigy u refer to how successful has it Been ?

Ask Google. He will know.

Seriously, the level of ignorance in Nigeria is amazing

2 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 4:18pm On May 02, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
This gal is missing a lot in her formative social years..I hope it doesn't hurt her in future..

This very crucial point is apparently lost on most here!

There are subjects in universities that a five year old can follow. There is a reason why it is suggested that the child still develops on many other levels before engaging a university education at all. If my child is brilliant enough to be through with high school when he is 6 months old, that will not tempt me into rushing him into university. Obviously I would not even allow such a leap in the first place but my point is that even where a gifted child is fast tracked, for me, I would use the extra time gained to broaden that child's soft skills such as languages, physical activity and engagement in sports of diverse kinds, learning musical instruments and the arts, travel, engagement with a vast array of encyclopedic knowledge as well as extensive social engagement before I consider burdening him with college at what would then be a more suitable time of his or her life. Such a child would have gained unspeakable advantages and be far more robust that most of its peers.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by Mac2016(m): 4:19pm On May 02, 2017
Narrow minded question. Wrong system has successfully corrupted the bearer of the question. Laplace made numerous contributions to the world of science and he was made a professor at the age of 20 by academic of his time and that was long before the jet-age that we are presently. I wonder what Tolu would have made of Laplace if he was part of the people to nominate him for professorship!

3 Likes

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by babyfaceafrica: 4:23pm On May 02, 2017
DeepSight:

This very crucial point is apparently lost on most here!

There are subjects in universities that a five year old can follow. There is a reason why it is suggested that the child still develops on many other levels before engaging a university education at all. If my child is brilliant enough to be through with high school when he is 6 months old, that will not tempt me into rushing him into university. Obviously I would not even allow such a leap in the first place but my point is that even where a gifted child is fast tracked, for me, I would use the extra time gained to broaden that child's soft skills such as languages, physical activity and engagement in sports of diverse kinds, learning musical instruments and the arts, travel, engagement with a vast array of encyclopedic knowledge as well as extensive social engagement before I consider burdening him with college at what would then be a more suitable time of his or her life. Such a child would have gained unspeakable advantages and be far more robust that most of its peers.
spot on!!!
Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by porka: 4:23pm On May 02, 2017
That's what working for Buhari can cause.

You begin to think like a neanderthal.

1 Like

Re: What Is Esther Okade Doing With PhD, A 13-Year-Old? - Tolu Ogunlesi (Photo) by DeepSight(m): 4:26pm On May 02, 2017
delishpot:

Why stop a child from aquiring those skills even if he would not be permited to use them now? And yes, why cant a child vote? Why cant a young child who is skilled and smart enter into contracts? Those rules were set by man not God so go figure. Kings can be crowned at age 8 to rule people even though they are under the guidiance of someone mature which was exactly what I stated before. Why cant young knowledgeable kids do same? I said she should be allowed to learn if it is what she wants and someone mature should take her under their wings until she can function legally. What is wrong in that?Why must you pour water to kill their spark?

My friend, no one is pouring water to kill any spark, and where any spark is seen, it must be nourished: and such nourishment is possible in an abundant array of ways obviously unknown to you, other than rushing the child into a doctorate. Sure a child can acquire skills but there is an appropriate level of maturity required for certain levels of learning, because the student can then combine a certain level of worldly, social and emotional experience of the world with the hard skills being taught and understand how to be a rounded professional with both soft and hard skills at play. Certain lessons are also best not absorbed without a certain degree of understanding for the importance of certain other things. It is on this level that one might appreciate why it is counter productive to teach a child medical skills of a neuro surgeon at an age that the child can never grasp the humanistic subtleties or ethics at play.

I will not even countenance the nonsense you wrote about allowing a child who is smart at contracts enter into contracts. That alone shows what a small minded non-thinker you are. Sad, because one shouldn't even need to be a good thinker to see the pitfalls of that.

What did you study, might I ask?
And also, how old are you?

No offence - these are serious questions.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

UNN Medicine Result Vs OAU Medicine Result / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad / WAEC Timetable 2017: Comprehensive 2017/18 WAEC Timetable - May/June

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.