Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad (54232 Views)

Post Pictures/ Profile Of Notable Nigerians Who Attended Your University. / Helpful Tips For Newly Admitted Students / Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 05, 2013
WARNING: Don’t quit your job or business to travel abroad for studies!

Before you make up your mind to travel abroad to study as a Nigerian, please read the tips below:

1. If your choice of field or course of study is Accounting, Business Administration, Marketing, etc, please don’t be quick to travel abroad to study because those courses are well-tutored here, and mostly based on Nigerian business environment. Most of the facilities for tutoring those courses are here in Nigeria, so consider Nigerian universities than going abroad to waste a whole lot of money only to come back with same probability of securing a job like those who studied here in Nigeria
2. If your choice of course is Engineering, foreign universities will be a better option because most Nigerian universities don’t have the necessary facilities to ground students in this field. Now, if you want to study Mechanical Engineering, consider United States of America (MIT, etc), India, and maybe UK.
3. If you want to study Chemical Engineering, and such related courses, consider Russia and United States as your best destination
4. If you want to study Medicine, United States, India and Canada is your best choice
5. If you want to study computer science, look no further than United States and India. If you want to be grounded in programming and all those stuffs, head to India.
6. If you want to study Law, Literature, etc, UK and United States should be your choice destinations.
7. If you want to stand higher chances of securing a job after graduating from a foreign university, then you must be an engineering student (mechanical, electrical, etc, from United States, India, etc).But if you studied Administrative courses, then save up money and enroll at Lagos Business School, otherwise known as PAN-AFRICAN University in Lagos Nigeria. If you can get an MBA from there (cost around 3.5 – 4million naira), you will stand better chances of securing a job in Nigeria.

There is something you need to know before deciding to travel abroad to study. First, you must find out if there are no local Nigerian universities offering your course of choice, and if they are offering it, find out if they have a proven good record in that course- are there graduates employed in good places? How are their performances after graduation? Do employers value their graduates? If your findings says yes, then why going abroad to waste resources.

For instance, Nigerian higher institutions don’t have good facilities to train graduates in Mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, electrical engineering, software engineering, biomedical technology, etc, so it wouldn’t be a bad choice for you to make the decision to travel abroad to further your engineering knowledge or education.

How can you travel abroad to study marketing? Our marketing environment here in Nigeria is quite different from the western own, so it may not be so easy for you to succeed here when you graduate from there, and employers will unlikely give you a preferential consideration as someone who studied abroad because they know that there is no difference between you and those who studied marketing in a Nigerian higher institution.

Again, before making a decision to travel abroad to study, have it in mind that you are not going there to acquire certificate and come back to be rushed after by employers. Have it in mind that you are going there to expand your practical knowledge in your chosen course, and to enrich your knowledge to be able to apply the knowledge to establish your own company if employers fail to hire you within the first two three years of returning back to Nigeria.

Lastly, don’t use your last card or last penny to further studies abroad, it is more advisable to even use half of it to acquire a higher certificate from a reputable Nigerian institution and then invest the remaining one in a viable business that you can be running while furthering your studies.

And if you want to study computer science abroad, make sure you are going there to learn truly and not just to bag certificate to stand greater chance of being employed in big firms here in Nigeria because you may not succeed, why? Employers that employ computer scientists look for their practical knowledge, how they can use programming and all of that to debug their company problems and bring more solutions, and not just to have you for nothing. Remember, we have few successful dotcom companies here in Nigeria that can pay you huge salary, so have it in mind that you will either be working independently or as a contract staff, and your success will be highly determined by your high level programming expertise and not your class or kind of certificate or degree. India and United States seem to be a good destination for computer scientists and aspiring tech-developers. Good luck, and please look well before you leap to avoid later regrets.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 05, 2013
i have been trying to google up aeronautics engineering in India but havent gotten useful info. Pls would you be kind enough to help. i have an HND in electrical electronics engineering.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 05, 2013
Try MANAV RACHNA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY INDIA- http://mriu.edu.in/fet-programmes-offered/

- Madras Inst. of Technology- http://www.annauniv.edu/Aerospace/academics.html

- Indian Inst. of Technology Mumbai: http://www.aero.iitb.ac.in/

Try the above schools, but note: India hardly accept foreign students from Africa, their admission procedures for engineering courses are so muddled up...just visit their websites and contact them directly, goodluck
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2013
DailyNews: Try MANAV RACHNA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY INDIA- http://mriu.edu.in/fet-programmes-offered/

- Madras Inst. of Technology- http://www.annauniv.edu/Aerospace/academics.html

- Indian Inst. of Technology Mumbai: http://www.aero.iitb.ac.in/

Try the above schools, but note: India hardly accept foreign students from Africa, their admission procedures for engineering courses are so muddled up...just visit their websites and contact them directly, goodluck

thanks,
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 07, 2013
teeo:

thanks,
you are welcome smiley
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Venerable612(m): 7:30am On Oct 12, 2013
please.. Which country and University bests Suite me. I will soon be agraduate of Philosophy with a Possible First Class or Surely Strong 2nd class Upper. I just want to know how much chance I stand over there.(esp. D financial status).
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Venerable612: please.. Which country and University bests Suite me. I will soon be agraduate of Philosophy with a Possible First Class or Surely Strong 2nd class Upper. I just want to know how much chance I stand over there.(esp. D financial status).
try www.ntnu.edu
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by benson3788(m): 10:24am On Dec 02, 2013
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
benson3788:

Many thanks to you on your wonderful piece. Do you think psychology is worth studying abroad ?
You're gladly welcome @benson. Remember, no course or field is a waste in life even though some field have greater demand and also greater supply, like engineering- mechanical, electrical, electronics, civil, welding, etc....but to me, travel all that far to study psychology may not be a sweet idea since we also have most of the things required to teach that course in Nigeria.

You know, people mostly travel abroad to school because of the poor infrastructures we have in our indigenous schools to teach and groom people in some courses like- mechanical engineering, biotech engineering, robotics (another form of mechatronics), space engineering, aeronautic engineering, production and manufacturing engineering (also part of mechanical engineering), computer science (not the paper one being done here), medicine and surgery, etc...

That's my own understanding though...but you can still give it a try since we Nigerians respect more of people who crossed outside the border to obtain their certificates cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by St0biz(m): 5:17am On Dec 06, 2013
Thank you very much for your for this piece of advice.
Please I'm a Maritime Management Technology (MMT) student of Futo. And i'll be graduating next year and wishes to study "Maritime Law and safetly" in either india or USA, please is this course wort studying abroad, advice me please
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by lymelyte(m): 6:05am On Dec 06, 2013
Thanks for bringing this to our notice.I need a your advice bro. I am a graduate of production engineering(uniben) and I am considering furthering my studies abroad preferably canada. What college or university will you advise for me?
Thanks as I await your anticipated response.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 06, 2013
St0biz: Thank you very much for your for this piece of advice.
Please I'm a Maritime Management Technology (MMT) student of Futo. And i'll be graduating next year and wishes to study "Maritime Law and safetly" in either india or USA, please is this course wort studying abroad, advice me please
Maritime law abroad? Its ok if u can afford it, but why not try a free masters in finland or norway than travelling to us to spend so much on that?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 06, 2013
lymelyte: Thanks for bringing this to our notice.I need a your advice bro. I am a graduate of production engineering(uniben) and I am considering furthering my studies abroad preferably canada. What college or university will you advise for me?
Thanks as I await your anticipated response.
Canada for mechanical production engineering Seriously, I don't know any to recommend cos I don't recommend what I don't know. But u can try MIT USA...its wonderful, that's if u can afford it...but as a mechanical engineer, you will be well groomed. Imagine in 2008, the first year project for first year students of mechanical engineering at MIT was molding of car engine block. As a mech engine student, u shud know what it means...the foundary work, etc.

Try MIT or Madras Inst. Of Tech India...u will become a guru and someone being sought after. I have friends who finished from Madras and they are doing greatlysmiley
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Tosdam(m): 9:05pm On Dec 06, 2013
As a student of education and language arts, where do u think is suitable to further the course.....
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Ajengb: 9:23pm On Dec 06, 2013
Pls what about going for phd in econs abroad in us or canada is it worth?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 06, 2013
Ajengb: Pls what about going for phd in econs abroad in us or canada is it worth?
Yes its worth it...but instead of travelling to USA or Canada for that, I would advice you to consider: Lagos Business School (Pan African University) for your MBA. It costs around 3.5million naira...and its worth it...you will get a good job once you are done with it. Besides, you will be engaging in internship with real companies here in Nigeria, and that makes you gain more knowledge of the Nigerian working environment and economy.

If you must go abroad to study econs...try London School of Economics, cost much though....but worth it. It all depends on your pocket and budget. There are some Chinese schools now for MBA too where you will learn real global market and business trend...MBA and economics are gradually shifting from USA to China where the global economy is being decided now.
Tosdam: As a student of education and language arts, where do u think is suitable to further the course.....
Its still depends on your field- science, engineering, health, etc....education is vast...but Uk seems to be best for educational stuffs...but why travel that far to do it when we have good schools here that can perform well too in education studies?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by lymelyte(m): 4:25am On Dec 07, 2013
DailyNews: Canada for mechanical production engineering Seriously, I don't know any to recommend cos I don't recommend what I don't know. But u can try MIT USA...its wonderful, that's if u can afford it...but as a mechanical engineer, you will be well groomed. Imagine in 2008, the first year project for first year students of mechanical engineering at MIT was molding of car engine block. As a mech engine student, u shud know what it means...the foundary work, etc.

Try MIT or Madras Inst. Of Tech India...u will become a guru and someone being sought after. I have friends who finished from Madras and they are doing greatlysmiley
Thanks bro
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Caduceus: 5:18am On Dec 07, 2013
Please,what about Medicine and Surgery?
What country is best,in terms of cost and quality,to study it?
How do I go about it?
Thanks.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 07, 2013
lymelyte:
Thanks bro
You are welcome smiley
Caduceus: Please,what about Medicine and Surgery?
What country is best,in terms of cost and quality,to study it?
How do I go about it?
Thanks.
India is cool...United States is amazing too....both cost much, and you need to be financially buoyant to start thinking towards that...
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by chrisviral(m): 12:05pm On Dec 07, 2013
I hold an offer to study Mechanical Engineering in Michigan state university USA and the same course in university of Toronto Canada, please which is better, I'm yet to accept and sign the offers, which do you think I should go ahead with??

In terms of:
Education quality...
Job opportunity and certificate value in global market...
And can an engineer go for MBA in pan lagos?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by mazizitonene(m): 1:58pm On Dec 07, 2013
Bro, I'm looking @ studying medicine abroad, india 2 be precise, but didn't see any advice for my category in ur write ups so far
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Olastep1(m): 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2013
Pls, bro. How abt studying Agro Msc courses in Asia countries?
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Ezyoung(m): 3:19pm On Dec 07, 2013
Bro. Wot about chemistry
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 07, 2013
chris viral: I hold an offer to study Mechanical Engineering in Michigan state university USA and the same course in university of Toronto Canada, please which is better, I'm yet to accept and sign the offers, which do you think I should go ahead with??

In terms of:
Education quality...
Job opportunity and certificate value in global market...
And can an engineer go for MBA in pan lagos?
Michigan State Uni is far more better than Toronto when it comes to Mech Engine...you will learn more, and their certificate in Mech Engine is more valued than that of Toronto....but the only issue there is security- student shootings....you must be very cautious, especially with mingling with female students there when you get there....just forget about Toronto if you want to study Mech Engine...Can an Engineer go for MBA in PAN University Of course YES! You can major in project management.....
Olastep1: Pls, bro. How abt studying Agro Msc courses in Asia countries?
China is okay....Hong Kong is nice...Singapore too is cool...but Uni of Agriculture Umudike and Abeokuta are doing nice in that course...at least I have friends who finished from there and are doing amazingly. Lest I forget, Japan is very good for Animal and crop science....they used to have free scholarship for Africans who wish to further their studies to masters level and maybe PhD in one or two unis in Japan....my close friend is currently doing his PhD there now on scholarship, though he was a first class student from OAU smiley

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 07, 2013
Ezyoung: Bro. Wot about chemistry
Russia....try Tomsk Polytechnic....St. Petersburg Uni, all in Russia...google them
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 07, 2013
mazizi tonene: Bro, I'm looking @ studying medicine abroad, india 2 be precise, but didn't see any advice for my category in ur write ups so far
India is a good destination for prospective medical students. Honestly, I don't know much about Indian schools that offer excellent medical studies....cos I love advising people based on what I know best or have heard people close to me recommend....so I can't really recommend any for you now....maybe I will ask some friends and ffmembers

1 Like

Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by mazizitonene(m): 10:56pm On Dec 07, 2013
Ok bro
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by chrisviral(m): 9:03am On Dec 08, 2013
DailyNews: Michigan State Uni is far more better than Toronto when it comes to Mech Engine...you will learn more, and their certificate in Mech Engine is more valued than that of Toronto....but the only issue there is security- student shootings....you must be very cautious, especially with mingling with female students there when you get there....just forget about Toronto if you want to study Mech Engine...Can an Engineer go for MBA in PAN University Of course YES! You can major in project management.....
smiley

Michigan all d way. Thanks xo much
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
mazizi tonene: Ok bro
you are welcome and happy sunday smiley
chris viral:

Michigan all d way. Thanks xo much
Lol...its a nice place, you will enjoy studying there, but stay away from girls grin...happy sunday smiley
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by chrisviral(m): 6:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
DailyNews: you are welcome and happy sunday smileyLol...its a nice place, you will enjoy studying there, but stay away from girls grin...happy sunday smiley

Happy sunday too...
Lol girls, if studying abroad is just the same way I see it in d movies... Hmmm men staying away from girls is really gonna be hard, man no b wood, buh I go try....

Please my next question, what masters can someone with mech engine go for asides corrosion engineering and robotics, I heard about mechatronics but that's new to me...
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2013
chris viral:

Happy sunday too...
Lol girls, if studying abroad is just the same way I see it in d movies... Hmmm men staying away from girls is really gonna be hard, man no b wood, buh I go try....

Please my next question, what masters can someone with mech engine go for asides corrosion engineering and robotics, I heard about mechatronics but that's new to me...
Mechatronics is just similar to robotics....its a combination of mechanical and electronics, which is partly what robotics is- using electronic panels and instructions to control machines. Its nice...you will have wide coverage....but not easy...you must pay close attention, I love robotics, its so fascinating...using ICs, panels, and programmes to control machines.
Re: Helpful Tips For Nigerians Who Wants To Study Abroad by chrisviral(m): 7:44pm On Dec 10, 2013
DailyNews: Mechatronics is just similar to robotics....its a combination of mechanical and electronics, which is partly what robotics is- using electronic panels and instructions to control machines. Its nice...you will have wide coverage....but not easy...you must pay close attention, I love robotics, its so fascinating...using ICs, panels, and programmes to control machines.

Ur description of d above is making me fall in love with it already... With time anyways I know which suits me better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of A Classroom In Nigeria In The 1950s / Breakdown Of The Result Of AROR OGHENERUKEVWE From The Database Of OAU / WAEC Timetable 2017: Comprehensive 2017/18 WAEC Timetable - May/June

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.