Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,577 members, 7,823,510 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades (18410 Views)

Mercedes-Benz Announces New Sales Record For October 2019. / New Vehicle Sales Drop 48% In Q3 / Nigeria’s New Vehicle Sales Drops To Abysmal 10,000 Units (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by lonelydora: 8:55am On May 12, 2017
obamabinladen:

He's only telling us that many Nigerians will lose their jobs very soon.

Exactly

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by SalamRushdie: 9:02am On May 12, 2017
layzie:

Bro, even with all these challenges you listed above..a single individual from Nnewi was able to set up a plant here. How much more a global brand with access to funding from their parent company? I think even Dangote has one now for trucks. The earlier Toyota key in, the better.

They were already building an assembly plant before we elected a visionless man as our president who came to slow things down ..The Hyundai assembly plant in Lagos was already rolling out 1 million naira cars before Buhari got elected and now tgey have even stopped production

5 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ephi123(f): 9:03am On May 12, 2017
MetaHuman:
same old nonsense excuses

And those other people doing their business nko? They have 2 heads?

It is obvious you do not run a business or know what is involved in sustaining a profitable business, else you wouldn't continue justifying the current business environment.

The others "doing their business" - do you know how much better they would perform if basic things like power were easily available?

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by layzie: 9:03am On May 12, 2017
chronique:

They should review prices of goods they bought at dollar of 520, to reflect exchange rate of 380? Who will pay for the loss/difference?

Sales is a strategy thing. There should be quick fix, medium term and long term strategies if your sales figures must continue to increase. If the dealer's have imported massively when USD was N520, then it's bad move on their part.
But Toyota as a brand should begin to look seriously at their medium to long term strategies in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by layzie: 9:05am On May 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:

They were already building an assembly plant before we elected a visionless man as our president who came to slow things down ..The Hyundai assembly plant in Lagos was already rolling out 1 million naira cars before Buhari got elected and now tgey have even stopped production

Which of the policies affected the automotive industry and how?
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Eyop: 9:06am On May 12, 2017
dumo1:

Even if I had the cash to buy such vehicles I won't buy them cos the moment a car steps our of the show room it's value deprecites by the day, although there's nothing like driving a brand new tear rubber vehicle. instead I will ship in a tokunbo toyota vehicle from the US, pay custom duty on the vehicle and invest the remaining money on building a house or a very good investment that will give me valuable returns. why will I pay 45 million naira for motor when dem no swear for me from village come Lagos.
cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ephi123(f): 9:07am On May 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I know a number of small business owners and the amount they spend on diesel for generators wipes a good chunk off their profits, it is a struggle to run a sustainable business in this country, especially for start-ups. And someone up there is justifying this nonsense? What kind of country is this exactly?

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 9:10am On May 12, 2017
xcolanto:

Oga what corolla goes for 4m?? You need to visit the dealership for recent prices.

What about 2012 and above? Go to Elizade and Kojo ask how much.

See for yourself.

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 9:13am On May 12, 2017
ehie:
lol @ordinary when u cant even produce a bolt

If we had a functional steel industry we d produce such, by the way Ajaokuta produces irons rods, bolts can be fabricated too.
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 9:23am On May 12, 2017
layzie:
What do u expect when you put a price tag of N18m on a Toyota Corolla? That we should buy? Review your prices ASAP and watch the sales figure go north.

When guys dey buy tokunbo?

Na only politicians and CEOs dey buy new Toyota
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by SalamRushdie: 9:46am On May 12, 2017
layzie:

Which of the policies affected the automotive industry and how?

By automotive industry i guess you are refering to automobile assembly ..Buharis poor economic leadership and lack of vision caused many set backs in the Automobile industry and i will atke them 1 by one

1 : His poor leadership brought about hyper inflation that eroded the middle class once sustainable income which meant the middle class entered survival mode and no longer had disposable income to put into purchase decisions like buying a brand new car , this auotomatically changed the projection of all those whoe were already setting up assembly plants and ofcourse their creditors because without a boisterous and properous middle class not much sales can be achieved when it comes to regular cars .

2 : Buhari poorly thought out military operations in the Niger delta saw the disruption of of gas supplies to our available power plants which also saw our electricity supplies drop to an all time low meaning the cost of assmbling had gone up further defeating the aim of even setti g up an assembly plant in the first place .

3: Increase in the price of deisel and elctricty tariff in the same month also affected the cost of production projections for some of the planned and existing assembly plant .

4: Buharis sudden implementation of the TSA meant banks and financial lenders suddenly had less money than planned to give out as loan or meet up credit obligations which saw them opting instead to retain more of their funds as shock absorbers and also favouring short term investments over long term ones ..Remember and Assembly plant is a long term investme nt and they were affected .

5: Remember till date the Buhari govt has still not been clear on its economic policy and it always flip flopping implementing and reversing in a trial and error manner , such behaviour always scares investors who usulally slow down further investments till they get where exactly the govt of the day is headed .

I could go on and on but I have got some work to do

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 10:05am On May 12, 2017
ephi123:

It is obvious you do not run a business or know what is involved in sustaining a profitable business, else you wouldn't continue justifying the current business environment.

The others "doing their business" - do you know how much better they would perform if basic things like power were easily available?
learn to read and comprehend before you post.
That's what differentiate real business men like us to mummy I'm hungry like yourself.
You want to set up a business, won't you consider power, environment etc before you start.

how are those doing business here getting their own power?
Dangote is building biggest refinery in africa, where is he going to get electricity to power it?

Dangote is the richest black man in the world, he made all his money doing business in your so called terrible business environment.
Mtn is the biggest network in africa, thanks to nigeria.

Why are these companies making billions with all these problems?

Name one country in the world that doing business is so smooth and no problem at all?
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ephi123(f): 10:09am On May 12, 2017
MetaHuman:
learn to read and comprehend before you post.
That's what differentiate real business men like us to mummy I'm hungry like yourself.
You want to set up a business, won't you consider power, environment etc before you start.

how are those doing business here getting their own power?
Dangote is building biggest refinery in africa, where is he going to get electricity to power it?

Dangote is the richest black man in the world, he made all his money doing business in your so called terrible business environment.
Mtn is the biggest network in africa, thanks to nigeria.

Why are these companies making billions with all these problems?

Name one country in the world that doing business is so smooth and no problem at all?

You are still defending the current business environment? I totally give up on you.

No wonder the country is where it is when people are so comfortable with mediocrity.

We are talking about startups and small business owners, you are mentioning dangote. Besides how many dangotes do we have in Nigeria? A handful. Rather than growing more, you are celebrating having just one. Imagine.

Smh.

-------------------------------------------------------

FYI - Britain which has a population 1/3rd of Nigeria's is growing the number of billionaires it has year on year. But people like you keep on singing Dangote year on year. Jeez.

The 2017 list, which is in its 29th year, reveals London has more billionaires than any other city in the world, with 86.
There are now 134 billionaires in the UK, which has increased from 120 in last year's list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/06/britain-has-billionaires-ever-2017-rich-list-reveals/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ayindejimmy(m): 10:17am On May 12, 2017
ehie:
more easier for them to close them or na u go give them light.

They'll find a way to balance it.
There's no constant power and big businesses have been generating their own power.
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ayindejimmy(m): 10:24am On May 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Stop spreading propaganda and false information just because you've not fully recovered from the flu of the last election.
The Hyundai Assembly Plant in Lagos is fully operational till today.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/15/hyundai-motors-nigeria-unveils-grand-savings-bonanza/

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/wow-made-in-nigeria-hyundai-cars-now-on-salesee-the-prices/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 10:26am On May 12, 2017
ephi123:

You are still defending the current business environment? I totally give up on you.

No wonder the country is where it is when people are so comfortable with mediocrity.

We are talking about startups and small business owners, you are mentioning dangote. Besides how many dangotes do we have in Nigeria? A handful. Rather than growing more, you are celebrating having just one. Imagine.

Smh.
and you are defending the fact that a company has 24% share in a large country where they don't even have showroom.
That's absurd.

We all know doing business has its own challenges just like every other country in the world, but saying for that reason, companies shouldn't come is a complete stupidity.

E.g dangote is building biggest refinery and 12 thousand megawatt of electricity to power it, he will sell some of this megawatt to the country out of those 12kmw. Now imagine if we have 5 to 6 of this projects, are we still gonna be having electricity problem for small scale businesses?

You people just can't see beyond the problems of the country and only think government has the magic wand to wave all those problems away.
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ephi123(f): 10:30am On May 12, 2017
MetaHuman:
and you are defending the fact that a company has 24% share in a large country where they don't even have showroom.
That's absurd.

We all know doing business has its own challenges just like every other country in the world, but saying for that reason, companies shouldn't come is a complete stupidity.

E.g dangote is building biggest refinery and 12 thousand megawatt of electricity to power it, he will sell some of this megawatt to the country out of those 12kmw. Now imagine if we have 5 to 6 of this projects, are we still gonna be having electricity problem for small scale businesses?

You people just can't see beyond the problems of the country and only think government has the magic wand to wave all those problems away.

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. Did I mention 24 percent market share in any of my initial posts? Nope. So face the topic we were thrashing which is the business environment being unsuitable for small businesses, but which you are justifying by going on and on about Dangote.

I have modified my previous reply and provided more details of a country growing the number of billionaires per year. That should be food for thought.

It's bad enough that the average person in this country generates their own electricity, but justifying it like you are doing is a No No. Recipe for stagnancy - which is where we are.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 10:32am On May 12, 2017
ayindejimmy:

They'll find a way to balance it.
There's no constant power and big businesses have been generating their own power.
At what cost, like i said, it will be easier for industries to shut down, import or write us off that to spend outrageous sums of money producing basic things, Bushiness are not charities, no multinational companies owes Nigeria anything, they will just shut down go to Lome or Cotonou or Abidjan where the environment is conducive while we delude ourselves we are the giant of africa.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ayindejimmy(m): 10:32am On May 12, 2017
MetaHuman:
That's absurd.

Don't mind that dude.
Actually, the representative of Toyota in Nigeria have set up an Assembly Plant already but the commencement was delayed by the current recession.

"The plant, which is currently operating on a single shift is a multi-brand plant where the company would also assemble the Toyota brand in Nigeria.
Speaking to journalists at the plant, the Managing Director, Elizade Nigeria Limited, Mr. Ademola Ade-Ojo said that the plant would have commenced operations earlier than now but for their inability to source foreign exchange for production."

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/02/elizade-commences-production-jac/
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 10:33am On May 12, 2017
ephi123:

Please stop trying to put words in my mouth. Did I mention 24 percent market share in any of my initial posts? Nope. So face the topic we were thrashing which is the business environment being unsuitable for small businesses, but which you are justifying by going on and on about Dangote.

I have modified my previous reply and provided more details of a country growing the number of billionaires per year. That should be food for thought.
read original post ... That's why I said read and comprehend before joining any conversation.

Don't just quote because the feature is available.
Even the guy that quoted me is not talking again before you jumped into the conversation like puma.

Original posts says toyota is crying cos of low sales despite the fact that the company has 24% shares.
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by luckygirl02(f): 10:34am On May 12, 2017
Seems this thread is for the rich. Make I waka go back with my legediz benz.
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ayindejimmy(m): 10:36am On May 12, 2017
ehie:
At what cost, like i said, it will be easier for industries to shut down, import or write us off that to spend outrageous sums of money producing basic things, Bushiness are not charities, no multinational companies owes Nigeria anything, they will just shut down go to Lome or Cotonou or Abidjan where the environment is conducive while we delude ourselves we are the giant of africa.

They already have an Assembly Plant in Nigeria and operation has commence since February.. I guess that settles the argument.

The obstacles to businesses in Nigeria is what made things like phones, electronic and cars very expensive in Nigeria. But we still buy them, don't we?
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by Nobody: 10:36am On May 12, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Don't mind that dude.
Actually, the representative of Toyota in Nigeria have set up an Assembly Plant already but the commencement was delayed by the current recession.

"The plant, which is currently operating on a single shift is a multi-brand plant where the company would also assemble the Toyota brand in Nigeria.
Speaking to journalists at the plant, the Managing Director, Elizade Nigeria Limited, Mr. Ademola Ade-Ojo said that the plant would have commenced operations earlier than now but for their inability to source foreign exchange for production."

Thanks for enlightening me jare.

Now I know.
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ephi123(f): 10:36am On May 12, 2017
MetaHuman:
read original post ... That's why I said read and comprehend before joining any conversation.

Don't just quote because the feature is available.
Even the guy that quoted me is not talking again before you jumped into the conversation like puma.

Original posts says toyota is crying cos of low sales despite the fact company has 24% shares.

Maybe you should learn to express yourself better and stop trying to twist your words.

Anyway I am sure I have passed across a key point to you. Next time before you justify a challenging business environment as being okay and start singing Dangote, you will remember there are other countries providing a conducive environment for both big and small businesses, and also growing the number of billionaires every year.

Eod.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ylaa(f): 10:38am On May 12, 2017
this man no see as we country be?
where him want make we see money buy him motor
if him go gi us for credit, after recession we pay
am interested, you nko?

1 Like

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by SalamRushdie: 10:40am On May 12, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Stop spreading propaganda and false information just because you've not fully recovered from the flu of the last election.
The Hyundai Assembly Plant in Lagos is fully operational till today.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2017/04/15/hyundai-motors-nigeria-unveils-grand-savings-bonanza/

http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/wow-made-in-nigeria-hyundai-cars-now-on-salesee-the-prices/

Keep fooling yourself with old articles ..there is no car in Hyundai Nigeria below 2.9 million now and that car is the Xcent I 10 grand which used to be the one assembled here under Jonathan with a price tag of a million naira then ..As we speak no singel vehicle has been assembled in that plant in the last 1 year ...Goc and check your facts agains

1 Like

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by ayindejimmy(m): 10:51am On May 12, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Keep fooling yourself with old articles ..there is no car in Hyundai Nigeria below 2.9 million now and that car is the Xcent I 10 grand which used to be the one assembled here under Jonathan with a price tag of a million naira then ..As we speak no singel vehicle has been assembled in that plant in the last 1 year ...Goc and check your facts agains

2017 is old, abi?
Remind me the year we're in.

2. 9m is even reasonable for a brand new car in Nigeria presently considering the hash economic and infrastructural challenges we have.

Lemme make some extraction for you.

"Hyundai cars in the company’s periodic sales campaign, ‘Hyundai Grand Savings Bonanza.’
Announcing the offer in Lagos, HMNL Head, Sales and Marketing, Jatin Nadkarni said the 2017 Hyundai Grand Savings Bonanza promises to make prices very competitive during and after the campaign.
The offer which is restricted to select Hyundai models such as Hyundai i10, Grand Xcent and Accent could afterward be extended to cover other models in the Hyundai line-up, the Hyundai Motors sales and marketing helmsman assured.
He said: “Stallion Hyundai Motors Nigeria is determined to cushion imminent scarcity of functional B segment cars and mitigate price increase of cars owing to last year prohibition of used vehicle import through the land borders.
The offer also gives customers to buy the desired Hyundai models during this Easter festive season” Buyers of these three homemade models are offered free registration and free service for 6 months or 10,000km, whichever is earlier.
Even though the promo is a limited period offer and subject to availability, the incentives are in addition to Hyundai standard 3-year or 100,000 kilometre warranty for i10 and Grand Xcent, and 5-year or 100,000 kilometre warranty for Accent, Mr. Nadkarni explained.
Hyundai Grand Xcent, i10 and Accent cars are assembled in Nigeria at the Hyundai Motors plant in Lagos."

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by gbope(m): 11:16am On May 12, 2017
rozayx5:
45Million can build a clean set of 12-15 Self Cons and rent in Akwa Ibom

why waste it on shapeless metal undecided

a good RX330/ Honda Pilot at 4M will serve my SUV needs well

Bros your head dey dere jare...I always tell people that I will prefer a tokunbo car over a brand new car . Forget say brandnew car, I've seen my tokunbo sienna outlast those ugly yeye plastic cars of today . Plus after 2 years of driving in Nigeria, you cannot differentiate between a tokunbo or brand new... most of those that buy brand new do it for Bragging purposes . They are some exceptional sound tokunbos.

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by alaskido(m): 11:51am On May 12, 2017
For this recession na him I go buy car? I don sell the one wey I dey use. I go buy new one when Buhari leave government in 2019 or before 2019.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by nkemjacob2(m): 11:55am On May 12, 2017
dem cv2000# out 9000 dem no happy.
my salary is #15000 do toyota has any brand of car of dat price?
Re: Toyota Boss Laments Nigeria’s Lowest Vehicle Sales Record In Decades by sshalom(m): 1:22pm On May 12, 2017
The day I saw that the price of Toyota Hilux was N16.2 Million was the day I knew that the auto industry was going in for a burst!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Watch The World’s 1st Self-Driving Hydrogen Car Complete A Record 118-mile Trip / A Man Miraculously Survived A Ghastly Trailer Crush At Tincan Apapa / Bodo Buschmann – Founder Of Brabus Dies At 62

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.