Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? (20332 Views)

Poll: Can you marry against your parents' wishes?

Yes: 55% (70 votes)
No: 44% (56 votes)
This poll has ended

My Dad Wishes Me Death, Please Help / Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill? / What's The Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by almondjoy(f): 6:45am On Mar 21, 2008
@Topic

In a heartbeat, I would marry against ma parents wishes.  I am an adult and it is ma life.  I can't be pushed around that easily.  If the marriage does not work out. . . then it is ma business!  The ones sanctioned be parents are not 100% insured with success so what is the problem? undecided

If they cannot be happy for me. . . .tooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!  They have done such a fantastic job as parents and if they choose not to have me in their lives for the chances I choose to find happiness. . . .tough!  Life goes on!

IT'S MA LIFE! cool

Thank God I do not have such parents anyway.  Whatever makes us happy is what they support.  They are not meddlesome, semi-illiterate, village-minded, gap-toothed, gossip loving, unemployed, busy-bodies or control freaks!

Only jobless, unhappy parents who regret their own prison-like marriages seek to re-live their unhappy lives through their children's by objecting to their children's marriages. Any child as an adult who listens to his or her parents flimsy objections is setting himself or herself up for "borrowed or transplanted" unhappiness.

"I CAN DO BAD ALL BY MASELF". . .so don't need anyone's help at all. They really should learn to act as parents. . .supportive not busy bodies!
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 21, 2008
I don't know why Igbos, most especially Anambra people, don't allow their children, especially the daughters, to marry from another tribe.

I don't know about this one oo
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by afamblondy: 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2008
If u have respect for your parent and u want their blessing then u would not marry against there wish if u do then u should knw that the marriage wouldn't last almost 2years their is always going to be trouble until the both of u dipart son don't do it. I'm talking from experience. i will nottalk 2much

So all failed marriages did not have the parents consent? I f yours failed it might be ur fault.You argument holds no water.
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by almondjoy(f): 3:03pm On Mar 27, 2008
afamblondy:

If u have respect for your parent and u want their blessing then u would not marry against there wish if u do then u should knw that the marriage wouldn't last almost 2years their is always going to be trouble until the both of u dipart son don't do it. I'm talking from experience. i will nottalk 2much

So all failed marriages did not have the parents consent? I f yours failed it might be your fault.You argument holds no water.

I applaud your patience in responding ever so kindly to a dimwit! kiss

I suggest you draw closer to him and tap his skull.  You will find only a "hollow" resonating sound. . . .obviously indicating that no one was ever home!  All faculties are in search of "greener" pastures in the arse of a fowl!
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 27, 2010
Of course I can marry against my parents wishes. I'm a grown man, and free to make my own choices, right or wrong. That's how we learn. If you need your parents to make one of the most important decisions in your life, you'll never learn.

And you'll remain a sissy and pushover for life.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 27, 2010
@siena

hey sweetie, how's you wife doing?
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 27, 2010
jennykadry:

@siena
hey sweetie, how's you wife doing?

Jenny, she's doing fine, though pretty uncomfortable! wink
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2010
Siena:

Jenny, she's doing fine, though pretty uncomfortable!  wink

awww poor sweetheart, let her help herself with some pelvic tilt and calf stretch exercises

Another good one is the kegel exercise(see doc for more info) atleast to make her comfy for the time being

My regards to her
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 27, 2010
^^^ Thanks, Jenny. smiley
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by chiraqDemon(m): 10:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
Elizabeth:
How can i marry against my parent wish! is not possible.Who am i in the first place.
So u mean u live ur life the way ur parents want it. Why not just move in with them and eat what they tell u to
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Certifiedkomo: 9:30pm On Nov 25, 2019
What if in a situation whereby the man's father refuses him to get married to a girl he truly loves and even went as far as laying curses on him that unless he refuses to marry the girl that the curses would go away naturally. Can the man still go ahead with the marriage plans?
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Vethinno2: 12:00pm On Aug 30, 2021
I'm in the same dilemma.
I'm a 27 years old lady who's so much inlove with an Urhobo man. He have all the qualities I want in a man, but my parents won't even agree to meet him let alone allow me marry him because he's not Igbo. I'm so TORN I don't know what to do. I don't think I can bear not getting married to him.
I need your advices please
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Lostchild(m): 1:36pm On Aug 30, 2021
Elizabeth:
How can i marry against my parent wish! is not possible.Who am i in the first place.

Africa ladies with their backward mentality

Na your parents go marry for you

Mumu
Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by Lostchild(m): 1:39pm On Aug 30, 2021
Vethinno2:
I'm in the same dilemma.
I'm a 27 years old lady who's so much inlove with an Urhobo man. He have all the qualities I want in a man, but my parents won't even agree to meet him let alone allow me marry him because he's not Igbo. I'm so TORN I don't know what to do. I don't think I can bear not getting married to him.
I need your advices please

Marriage is a choice for two person.

Wake up: You are in the 21st century. Go and marry your man. If you failed to stand your ground over what you want, you dont deserve to be his wife.

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry Against Your Parents' Wishes? by azammi(m): 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2021
I think Sir you gave the best advice
Lostchild:

Marriage is a choice for two person.

Wake up: You are in the 21st century. Go and marry your man. If you failed to stand your ground over what you want, you dont deserve to be his wife.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should A Woman Sacrifice Her Dreams For Her Marriage? / Kenyan Man Detonates 5 Petrol Bombs In His House After Accusing Wife Of Cheating / 89 Lagos Men Beaten, Violated By Their Wives In 15 Months – Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.