Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical (6912 Views)

Dealership Level Diagnostics - VW Group (1996 - 2018) - Electrical N Mechanical / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Toyota (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical / Dealership Level Diagnostics - Nissan (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:11am On Jun 25, 2017
Did you know some 2015 and 2016 Honda CR-Vs replacement engine block assemblies were manufactured with the incorrect pistons (that is to say a direct injection engine block was used in place of a regular port injection engine block) with the result that the user will have a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) come on or engine damage

The only way out is to inspect the pistons and if found to be the incorrect application, then the replacement of the following is mandatory:
1. the cylinder block,
2. the cylinder head,
3. the air fuel ratior sensor,
4. the secondary heated oxygen sensor as well as
5. the front catalytic converters
6. the floor catalytic converters

A total of 16 2WD and 4WD suffer from this misfortune, if you imported this vehicle to Nigeria as tokunbo, pray that your VIN does not fall within the problem batch.

Morale: Always do VIN discovery before vehicle purchase, you can save yourself a ton of grief!

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by Bizzyliss(m): 12:31pm On Jun 25, 2017
Bro pls my Acura TL 2006 doesn't rev past 3000 and sometimes rev past 3000 to 5000, it also jerks after the first gear and den it consumes fuel. I scanned it as it shows some kinda sensor problems
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:09am On Jun 27, 2017
Bizzyliss:
Bro pls my Acura TL 2006 doesn't rev past 3000 and sometimes rev past 3000 to 5000, it also jerks after the first gear and den it consumes fuel. I scanned it as it shows some kinda sensor problems

What does the car computer aka brainbox see?

What kind of sensor problems?

Be specific?

Please post the DTCs i.e., Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

I'll take it from there
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:25am On Jun 29, 2017
Did you know that 2011 - 2013 Honda Odyssey's suffer from a factory fault that became the subject matter of a legal case, not just a legal case, but a class action and that as a consequence of the settlement of the case, American Honda had to institute a powertrain warranty extension to 8 years from October 2013 with unlimited mileage from the original date of purchase.

You can read more on it at www.enginemisfiresettlement.com.

What happens is that the MIL would come on with DTCs P0301 thru P0304.

The repair procedure is different for 2011 models and 2012 - 2013 models respectively.

For the 2011 model, diagnosis might involve updating PCM software, replacing affected spark plugs, cleaning pistons and replacing the piston rings.

For the 2012 - 2013 models, diagnosis excludes updating PCM software, but includes replacing affected spark plugs, cleaning pistons and replacing the piston rings.

Here is the gist of the case by the way:

This Litigation is about Engine Misfire and its symptoms and causes in the Settlement Class Vehicles (i.e., 2008-2012 Honda Accord, 2008-2013 Honda Odyssey, 2009-2013 Honda Pilot, 2010-2011 Honda Accord Crosstour, and 2012 Honda Crosstour, equipped with a 6-cylinder engine with Variable Cylinder Management (“VCM-2”)). The Engine Misfire at issue generates one or more of the following vehicle diagnostic trouble codes (“DTC”): P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304.

The Named Plaintiff, Vince Eagen, alleges that the engines in some Settlement Class Vehicles suffer from Engine Misfire and related symptoms and conditions, including premature spark plug fouling. Plaintiff claims that Settlement Class Vehicles have a defect and related conditions that AHM should have disclosed and/or remedied, at no charge, under warranty.

AHM expressly denies the allegations in the Litigation, denies that it has engaged in any wrongdoing, and specifically denies the claims described above and asserted in the Litigation. The parties agree that there are no safety concerns with the Settlement Class Vehicles. The Court has not decided who would win the Litigation if it went to trial.

There were other claims alleged in the original Class Action Complaint and the First Amended Class Action Complaint that have been dismissed and are no longer part of this settlement.

You can read all of Plaintiff’s allegations in the Second Amended Class Action Complaint available here (http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/Portals/0/Documents/09-11-2013_Proposed_Class_Notice-Exh_C_to_Settlement_Agreement%5BAs%20Filed%5D.pdf) on the settlement website.

Key Take-Homes:

Always do a VIN check before purchase

Honda has updated the oil type to Full Synthetic 0W-20 for the engines in the above named vehicles

A service manual is not enough, things might have changed along the line.

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by yomingr(m): 8:58am On Jun 29, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Has your issue been sorted out?
v
Just checking up on you!
Thank you for checking in. Unfortunately I still have the check engine light on after replacing the o2 sensors.I plan to get the defouler to see if it ratifies. Yes the car has gained power on jet off and gear performance is 10/10. the code is still p0420
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:59am On Jun 30, 2017
yomingr:
Thank you for checking in. Unfortunately I still have the check engine light on after replacing the o2 sensors.I plan to get the defouler to see if it ratifies. Yes the car has gained power on jet off and gear performance is 10/10. the code is still p0420

Good to know.

You were in safe hands then.

If the cat is bad, do you plan to replace it or you are ok with the defouler trick?

POST UPDATED/MODIFIED July 6, 2017

The problem with the vast majority of Nigerian mechanics is not understanding at the theoretical level how things work which is a prerequisite for careful, systematic and high quality diagnosis.

Here is my gift to you - yomingr : if you better understand the process, the system, the sub-systems and the interrelation between them, you will be better able to solve issues that arise when:

If your cat has not been hollowed out, why not try the suggestion in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE and read this writeup at the link below so you better appreciate what is going on behind the scenes, a precursor to a repair that will permanently turn the code off for good.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/32-problems-issues/7041-engineering-analysis-p0420-p0430-catalytic-efficiency-code.html

1 Like

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by yomingr(m): 11:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Good to know.

You were in safe hands then.

If the cat is bad, do you plan to replace it or you are ok with the defouler trick?

POST UPDATED/MODIFIED July 6, 2017

The problem with the vast majority of Nigerian mechanics is not understanding at the theoretical level how things work which is a prerequisite for careful, systematic and high quality diagnosis.

Here is my gift to you - yomingr : if you better understand the process, the system, the sub-systems and the interrelation between them, you will be better able to solve issues that arise when:

If your cat has not been hollowed out, why not try the suggestion in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE and read this writeup at the link below so you better appreciate what is going on behind the scenes, a precursor to a repair that will permanently turn the code off for good.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/32-problems-issues/7041-engineering-analysis-p0420-p0430-catalytic-efficiency-code.html

Thank you once again. Did I mention that I did replace the catalytic converter with a new one as well as both sensors! At first, it was the heater sensor that threw a code which was replaced, then the o2 sensor threw a code and it was replaced too. Then after the p0420 came on again. I guess either the converter or the sensors replaced is not compatible. That's y I want to opt for the defouler. And that content "he pored in the tank?"
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by yomingr(m): 11:35pm On Jul 06, 2017
yomingr:

Thank you once again. Did I mention that I did replace the catalytic converter with a new one as well as both sensors! At first, it was the heater sensor that threw a code which was replaced, then the o2 sensor threw a code and it was replaced too. Then after the p0420 came on again. I guess either the converter or the sensors replaced is not compatible. That's y I want to opt for the defouler. And that content "he pored in the tank?"
The attached screen shots are from my scanner showing the performance of the car on current drive cycles. Can you help with that?

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:12am On Jul 13, 2017
yomingr:

Seen, been rather busy, will see how we can work this out very soon
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by kniru: 12:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
finally got the codes.
sorry for the long pause, hadn't been around for a while.
p0339
p0138
p0128

thanks boss

AutoElectNG:
Next steps - Get the codes.

We will take it from there!

You might have a transmission problem, but further analysis will make it conclusive, until then, this is purely speculative.

How long have you had this ride?

Instead of just copying, you could take a snapshot of the codes when next you meet the guy!

Until then, my hands are tied
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:08am On Aug 17, 2017
kniru:
finally got the codes.
sorry for the long pause, hadn't been around for a while.
p0339
p0138
p0128

thanks boss

Noted... I will make time to study manufacturer documentation and repair databases and revert to you soonest!

MODIFIED:
"It's easy to memorize everything at a dealer when you work on only one or two models. Don't even try when you're working as a general mechanic."
- JOHN ALLEN
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by kniru: 12:14pm On Aug 17, 2017
thanks bros.

AutoElectNG:

Noted... I will make time to study manufacturer documentation and repair databases and revert to you soonest!
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by davodyguy: 12:22pm On Aug 17, 2017
Auto, no contact number? cos i have two cars i want to report on, office pool cars with different issues
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 5:55pm On Aug 17, 2017
davodyguy:
Auto, no contact number? cos i have two cars i want to report on, office pool cars with different issues

Check my signature, it will been updated with a WhatsApp number after this post goes live, although I have a strong preference for email communication.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by kniru: 9:32am On Aug 25, 2017
bros any show, might be in abuja soon to see you ooo

AutoElectNG:

MODIFIED:
"It's easy to memorize everything at a dealer when you work on only one or two models. Don't even try when you're working as a general mechanic."
- JOHN ALLEN
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2017
kniru:
bros any show, might be in abuja soon to see you ooo

I am short on time...so I went AWOL...I should be backable online first week of September...sorry please
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 8:38am On Apr 29, 2018
Bring your abused vehicles, let's give them a new lease of life!

Post your vehicle problem brand-specific, top 3 most liked problem cars will get repaired for free.

Labor and Diagnosis free.

Cost of parts, materials and supplies required to effect the repair will be borne by owner.

Owner is free to supply parts, materials, and supplies though.

Contest closes in 21 days.

Repair process will be posted here.

This is a promotional offer.

If the vehicle does not run and drive, free offer does not apply, instead a diagnosis and labor fee of 100,000.00 maximum applies. Owner free to supply parts, materials, and supplies needed to effect the repair.

Problems that did not get the most likes but are sufficiently intriguing may be considered.

Abused vehicles welcome.

Over to you.

Offer for Abuja residents only or those outside Abuja willing to bring the vehicle to Abuja.

Terms and conditions apply.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 1:44am On May 07, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Bring your abused vehicles, let's give them a new lease of life!

Post your vehicle problem brand-specific, top 3 most liked problem cars will get repaired for free.

Labor and Diagnosis free.

Cost of parts, materials and supplies required to effect the repair will be borne by owner.

Owner is free to supply parts, materials, and supplies though.

Contest closes in 21 days.

Repair process will be posted here.

This is a promotional offer.

If the vehicle does not run and drive, free offer does not apply, instead a diagnosis and labor fee of 100,000.00 maximum applies. Owner free to supply parts, materials, and supplies needed to effect the repair.

Problems that did not get the most likes but are sufficiently intriguing may be considered.

Abused vehicles welcome.

Over to you.

Offer for Abuja residents only or those outside Abuja willing to bring the vehicle to Abuja.

Terms and conditions apply.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by kniru: 7:24am On May 07, 2018
No 4get me oo
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 4:23am On May 08, 2018
kniru:
No 4get me oo

You are welcome anytime

1 Like

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 12:18am On Jun 03, 2018
Currently negotiating to diagnose and remedy a 2011 Honda Accord with 3 problems

1. High fuel consumption
2. A/C System blockage aka Black Death
3. Fans no longer controlled by ECU logic

Inspection scheduled for tomorrow Sunday.

If we have a deal, findings will be documented here.
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 7:20pm On Jun 03, 2018
Vehicle inspected

It is a 2011 Honda Accord EX-L 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC

Summary of vehicle details included in the picture below excluding sequential number ( we respect client personally identifiable information)

Sample of vehicle uploaded below (picture from internet - not actual vehicle, actual pictures of the problems with the vehicle will be posted though)

Detailed list of issues with the vehicle coming later

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 6:26am On Jun 08, 2018
2011 Honda Accord EX-L 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC P0113
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 6:27am On Jun 08, 2018
2011 Honda Accord EX-L 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC P1298
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 6:27am On Jun 08, 2018
2011 Honda Accord EX-L 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC P2185
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 7:49am On Jun 08, 2018
Problems of this car include:

1. Extremely high fuel consumption

2. Prospective client has replaced compressor, evaporator, condenser and pipes. Then returned to change the expansion valve. The A/C was "still not blowing strong" to borrow his words so he was told to get an expansion valve. What happened was that the A/C pipes in the engine compartment are of the right temperature, but the vehicle cabin temperature did not appreciably change. A manual thermostat (actually a relay) was connected to the evaporator since that actual thermostat in the engine was non-functional. When the vehicle is stationary, the introduced A/C relay would switch on and switch off the car A/C every two minutes, but when the vehicle is in motion, it would do this every 15 seconds to 30 seconds.

3. Timeline of changes:

First contact with A/C technician:

Compressor changed
Condenser changed
Pipes changed
Expansion valve change

Second contact with A/C technician:

Evaporator changed

Third contact with A/C technician:

A/C still not cooling appropriately
In the words of the prospective client: The pipe was washed and dried, the mouth of the pipes was changed, wanted to change the drum, cut the bottom portion, removed dirt, flushed it, sealed it and reinstalled it
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by thebigkendo(m): 9:26am On Jun 08, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Problems of this car include:

2. Prospective client has replaced compressor, evaporator, condenser and pipes. Then returned to change the expansion valve. The A/C was "still not blowing strong" to borrow his words so he was told to get an expansion valve. What happened was that the A/C pipes in the engine compartment are of the right temperature, but the vehicle cabin temperature did not appreciably change. A manual thermostat (actually a relay) was connected to the evaporator since that actual thermostat in the engine was non-functional. When the vehicle is stationary, the introduced A/C relay would switch on and switch off the car A/C every two minutes, but when the vehicle is in motion, it would do this every 15 seconds to 30 seconds.

Please am interested in understanding how the AC kazeem implemented the bolded logic. I understand the timer/relay concept but the "When the vehicle is stationary and in motion"..

GAZZUZZ come and help me understand
Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:34am On Jun 08, 2018
Pictures of the Mass Air Flow/Intake Air Temperature Sensor

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:38am On Jun 08, 2018
Pictures of the ECT sensor

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:42am On Jun 08, 2018
Pictures of the Electronic Load Detector

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 9:57am On Jun 08, 2018
Pictures of the damage done to the vehicle's wiring system

1. Fans no longer controlled by ECU logic but my turning the ignition key ON or OFF

Re: Dealership Level Diagnostics - Honda (1996 - 2018)- Electrical N Mechanical by AutoElectNG: 10:03am On Jun 08, 2018
Pictures of the damage done to the vehicle's wiring system

2. Additional wiring in the engine bay connecting modified fans to the alien A/C relay inside the vehicle cabin immediately beneath the blower

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Error Codes From Nissan Murano / Automatic Or Manual Transmission- Which Is More Practical? / Toyota Corolla 2007 Vs Honda Civic 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.