Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,670 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? (70709 Views)

Lamidi Adeosun Is Not The New Chief Of Army Staff - Army / BREAKING: We Have Arrested Killers Of Ex-chief Of Defence Staff, Badeh – Police / Alex Badeh: 9 Things People Don't Know About Dead Ex Chief Of Defence Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Histrings08(m): 7:30am On May 22, 2017
because of the men at their disposal I guess
TonyeBarcanista:
All over the world the army chief is more powerful than the defence chief within yje Army.
Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by olasaad(f): 7:32am On May 22, 2017
Histrings08:
Chief of defence of course[b].... Buh Nigerian chief of army Staff have over d years grown too powerful[/b]

Not only in Nigeria but also other countries around the world. The real power has always resides in the COAS.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by tdayof(m): 7:40am On May 22, 2017
Segadem:

hmmmmm, I'm learning, but which of these two cheifs have power to plan coup?

Abacha , Abdulsalmi Abubakar too were both CDS before they became HEAD of States. I guess that answers the question.

8 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by tdayof(m): 7:44am On May 22, 2017
bedspread:
BROS, CDS CANNOT MOBILIZE TROOPS WITHOUT THE INVOLVEMENT OF THE COAS.
THE COAS HAS THE TROOPS ON GROUND. THATS WHY HE CAN OPEN NEW FORMATIONS WHENEVER JUST LIKE BURATAI LAUNCHED IN KASTINA, PMB HOME TOWN..
CDS NA FIGURE HEAD POST.....

I hope you know some troops are under the ONSA? the CDS can use them whenever he wants. The men of the Nigerian Armed Forces special Force (AFSF) those guys won't answer to the COAS during emergency.

They're being funded by ONSA.

Whatever order the COAS gives passes through the CDS desk. The COAS reports to the CDS.

cc: Odunayaw

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Nobody: 8:53am On May 22, 2017
chief of defence staff is superior. in USA its calld defence secretary or secretary of defence

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by ikdaddy01(m): 8:54am On May 22, 2017
...ref to Lt Gen Oladikpo Diya's statement in his defence of de allegation of Coup:......
He said even if he had wanted to plan a coup, as a CDS he didnt have control of the troops and couldnt give dem orders hence.......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by OkoNDOoBo: 8:55am On May 22, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Administratively, the CDS oversee the activities of the COAS, CAS and CNS. But operationally, the CDS is "just there" while the COAS controls the ground troops and the entire Army.

However, CDS only take charge during "joint" operations, which is rare.
Also, though the CDS has Administrative supervision over the COAS, he CANNOT tell the COAS what to do at any given time. Only the C-in-C enjoy such power. All Service Chiefs brief the C-in-C irrespective of their title.

The COAS by virtue of the control he has, is more powerful and influential within the army than the CDS. The COAS is more dangerous too.

Hence, a C-in-C could make anybody CDS but the COAS is usually a TRUSTED general.

@OP The COAS na him be d koko
you re just dancing round the question ,cds is superior to coas shikenna .the likes of abacha,abdusalami were once CDs before they become head of state, I don't know any of coas becoming head of state

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Benekruku(m): 8:56am On May 22, 2017
dingbang:
Because the CDC is not corrupt like the COAS that's why he doesn't get much public attention...

Olodo! shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Tonymic4life(m): 8:56am On May 22, 2017
dingbang:
my friend get lost from my radar.. My phone..my comments

Dude! U sound frustrated! Take a chill pill.

4 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by tayo4ng(m): 8:57am On May 22, 2017
CDS is more superior than CHS it was our govt and politics in Nig that make it look the other way round

1 Like

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by theSpark(m): 8:57am On May 22, 2017
Eaa247:
chief of defence staff is superior. in USA its calld defence secretary or secretary of defence

Secretary of Defense is a civilian position. I think the position you mean was Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff.

11 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Missy89(f): 8:57am On May 22, 2017
Segadem:

hmmmmm, I'm learning, but which of these two cheifs have power to plan coup?

lol. Power to plan coup? A colonel can plan a successful coup

5 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by otunbadan(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2017
CDS is higher and he reports only to the President and commander in chief. The other service chiefs report to him. He oversees all the service chiefs.

And the Army is the most popular and visible arm of service that's why their chief is always visible in the sphere of information.

9 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by AmaechiLinus(m): 8:59am On May 22, 2017
I will come back,
Let me do more research
Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Missy89(f): 9:00am On May 22, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Administratively, the CDS oversee the activities of the COAS, CAS and CNS. But operationally, the CDS is "just there" while the COAS controls the ground troops and the entire Army.

However, CDS only take charge during "joint" operations, which is rare.
Also, though the CDS has Administrative supervision over the COAS, he CANNOT tell the COAS what to do at any given time. Only the C-in-C enjoy such power. All Service Chiefs brief the C-in-C irrespective of their title.

The COAS by virtue of the control he has, is more powerful and influential within the army than the CDS. The COAS is more dangerous too.

Hence, a C-in-C could make anybody CDS but the COAS is usually a TRUSTED general.

@OP The COAS na him be d koko

Steaming pile of Crap

8 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by awillabo: 9:00am On May 22, 2017
The CDS and the COAS both don't have operational control of the army.

Go get your facts rite. The operational control rest in the brigade commanders and unit commanders...

The CDS is a more superior Officer. He is assited by all other service chiefs.
It is the CDS duty to formulate policies and execute them..

All service chiefs report to the CDS.

The third pic is from nigerias defense ministry website.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by escobardtotti: 9:00am On May 22, 2017
The CDC is Superior and by their Ranks which is visble on their uniform states all.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Waspy(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2017
My honest view

OBJ and GEJ made use of and carried their CDS along.
I remember Olusola Petinrin was very active but truth be told, PMB will rather relate with the head of the Fulani militia than with that Yoruba CDS, Olonisakin

6 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Solowande(m): 9:02am On May 22, 2017
The chief of defence staff is just a mere coordinator just like Osinbajo.

3 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by ModsWillKillNL: 9:02am On May 22, 2017
The CDS is the only full general in the Nigerian army.

He's a Nairalander. He might be reading this. cool

6 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 9:04am On May 22, 2017
dingbang:
my friend get lost from my radar.. My phone..my comments
Lol but the forum is public
Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Nobody: 9:06am On May 22, 2017
theSpark:

Secretary of Defense is a civilian position. I think the position you mean was Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff.

oh! I tot d two positions are dsame. tanks for d correctn
Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by Nobody: 9:07am On May 22, 2017
`

7 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by sunnysunny69(m): 9:08am On May 22, 2017
Easy answer

2 Likes

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by oshudu(m): 9:08am On May 22, 2017
Chief of defence staff is superior to all the services chief's the rank of the defense staff is general which is 4 star general why chief of army staff is (lieutenant general) which is 3 star general. The star is placed in their staff cars

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Of Defence Staff Vs Chief Of Army Staff: Which Position Is More Superior? by 2n2k(m): 9:08am On May 22, 2017
OkoNDOoBo:
you re just dancing round the question ,cds is superior to coas shikenna .the likes of abacha,abdusalami were once CDs before they become head of state, I don't know any of coas becoming head of state

Babangida was COAS

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Blasts Buhari, His Wife And Others In Fresh Broadcast From Israel. / Sowore Mobbed By Excited Family Members And Nigerians After His Release / Soldiers Carrying Abu Ali On Their Shoulder & Hailing Him (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.