Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku (31300 Views)

Buhari’s Government Promises 2 Geo-political Zones 2023 Presidency / PDP Vrs BUHARI Chances In 6 Geo-political Zones. / Which Is The Most Developed Geo-Political Zone In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by ElsonMorali: 2:10pm On May 23, 2017
Great idea.

Abolish states. Have regions and local government areas. Let each region source for funds to develop their region and pay some token to the Federal Govt.

This is still the best idea for Nigeria as far as I'm concerned and a step in the right direction for the country to splinter peacefully without bloodshed.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by gberra: 2:20pm On May 23, 2017
kingzizzy:

Which one is unity begger? You are the person already begging for unity with 'SS'. Its laughable how someone can bring more than 40 tribes together and call them 'SS' or Niger Delta, what is that one supposed to mean?

A refendum has to be used to ask the various tribes which Region they want to belong to, not snatch peoples lands in the name of 'South South' that is not even recognised by the constitution.
Will you stop fooling yourself. The situation in the SS is similar to that of the NC each with its identifying features
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Cjrane2: 2:26pm On May 23, 2017
although this will solve most of Nigeria provlems. I believe we have gobe beyond what restructuring and true federalism can resolve.
Nigeria simply needs to break up and free the different nations entrapped within it.

2 Likes

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by nwokorozion: 2:27pm On May 23, 2017
atiku wants to be president mihtssssssss
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Cypmeni(m): 2:31pm On May 23, 2017
Cjrane2:
although this will solve most of Nigeria provlems. I believe we have gobe beyond what restructuring and true federalism can resolve.
Nigeria simply needs to break up and free the different nations entrapped within it.

It's as simple as that.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Nobody: 2:32pm On May 23, 2017
First there is nothing like 6 get - political zone
Second scrap north central and south south.it was a day light robbery.
Lastly let each region contribute to the center not the other way round.
Give west the west, give east the east north to north and let the race begin

1 Like

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Psalmwhyte(m): 2:37pm On May 23, 2017
bewla:
say who. Two FTC in a day oloooo de Jo ishilove carry go

Wen u wia enjoying ur position as d Vice President u did nt tink of dat abi, so na now d tink com clear u 4 eye say d 36 state no com mak sense again baa?

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by omoharry(f): 2:38pm On May 23, 2017
gberra:
Omo, Come to daddy.
funny you...grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 23, 2017
aolawale025:
If the six geopolitical zones are adopted as federating units, there is bound to be more resources for development. It's restructuring in another form
Buhari returned us to 25 years ago now Atiku want to return us to Awolowo days
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by bitingcool: 2:42pm On May 23, 2017
Kemperor:
Bubu said the samething... We are seeing another thing..

Nothing for you Northerners.. NIGERIANS are now politcal active no more political apathy...

Bros, manage 2 bottles of kai- kai from me
My thoughts exactly
When he gets there, he will even increase the states to 48.
Useless politicians saying nonsense to deceive people.

If he likes, make he champion the no nigeria cause, he will never taste presidency. By God's grace

1 Like

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by bola4dprec(m): 2:43pm On May 23, 2017
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by nengibo: 2:47pm On May 23, 2017
ogashman:
atiku atiku atiku!

where was ur thinking cap wen u were VP?

ohhh this is coming now because of ur presidential ambition which is already dead on arrival. we ain't buying this. let it come from a more better person with integrity.
All na wash
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 23, 2017
Buhari campaigns were all positive. Once he became president, it took him six months relocated to Aso Rock, closed to seven months to formed these incompetent and corrupt cabinet/ministers.

Buhari once said that his government officials will not be allowed to seek foreign medical care, but where is he today?

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by kingzizzy: 3:04pm On May 23, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Having states and regions should not automatically equate to having more and more layers of governance. Everything doesn't need to have a replica of the other. I'd recommend we abolish state houses of assembly and replace them with regional houses, but we should have state executives headed by governors. Having regions and scrapping states would leave us with the same old problem of over centralization.

Also, this idea of sticking to what was in the past is the problem with the African mindset. Who says we cant create something new that would work in this era. True, states were a creation of the military, that doesn't mean it should be discarded just because! We should seek a model that would take us into the future, not just something that was in the past.

My best bet would be like this:

The 6 regions and 36 states are the best geographical composition we can have in Nigeria today. So we should maintain that. I would have recommended an additional state in the South East to match up with the rest but I think that should be up to the south east to decide. But the landmass is small. If the entire South East were a state, it would be the 14th largest state in Nigeria meaning there are currently 13 states in Nigeria bigger than the 5 states of the South East combined. But then again, Lagos as small as it is stays bigger in GDP than the least 25 states combined.

I would recommend an executive President in Abuja to manage the country.
I would recommend six regional heads to serve as executives for the regions.
The state governors should be retained but state houses of assembly should be eradicated and replaced with regional houses.

Executives are responsible for development so we an have different layers for that as that requires everyday work. Lawmakers just make laws and sincerely their services are not needed daily

We need to come up with new solutions as deliberate extensively to see which would work out best. And es, if it doesn't work after trying it, we discard it and try something else!

Your idea will make things much worse by adding a 4th tier of Government to the already over bloated and expensive 3 tier system we currently operate. It will also create a lot of confusion. There is nothing like scrapping the state house of assembly. Every tier of government must have a legislature in a democracy. It is only when it is a dictatorship that you dont need legislature. Every state must have a state assembky same as every state assembly must have a state. One cannit exist without the other in a democracy.

Also, a lot of people like me want to see a weak centre and the decebtralisatiin of powers. The president of Nigeria collects two salaries, one as executive president, and the other as commander in chief. It is not fair for one man to hold so much power, thats why many people want to kill themselves to president of Nigeria. So that office should be split into two. A ceremonial president who is comnander in chief, and a prime minister who is the executive.

1 Like

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Dpharisee: 3:06pm On May 23, 2017
Northerners will say a different thing when out of power and do entirely different things when voted into power.
Why did Buhari dump the constitutional conference report?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by kingzizzy: 3:13pm On May 23, 2017
gberra:
Will you stop fooling yourself. The situation in the SS is similar to that of the NC each with its identifying features

Identifying features such as what? Oil?
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Dee60: 3:14pm On May 23, 2017
All mouth....Just looking for power.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by aribisala0(m): 3:15pm On May 23, 2017
kingzizzy:
The entire 36 states in Nigeria are a waste of time and money, they should be all abolished because Regions are much better and cost effective.

The only place I differ with Atiku is the adoption of the 6 geopolitical zones as the federating Regions. I think that a referendum should be held to allow people decide what Region they want to join.

Also, each Region will have right of secession.
Lagos state is not
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by willibounce1(m): 3:17pm On May 23, 2017
Atiku with the usual political scam. I he ever becomes president, which will not happen anyway, the story will change.

Zoning is the solution . Each region do four years. Two terms will be cancelled. You do your 4 years, get out and allow another region do. It continues to rotate with strict rules guiding appointment.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by orisa37: 3:26pm On May 23, 2017
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by gberra: 3:28pm On May 23, 2017
kingzizzy:

Identifying features such as what? Oil?
Smh!. Illiteracy.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Nobody: 4:05pm On May 23, 2017
Did he by any means remember this during his 8yrs in aso rock?
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Codes151(m): 4:15pm On May 23, 2017
First time I see that this guy is senseless!!! How u going to put 36 unrelated states into 6 ?
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by ACE1010: 4:25pm On May 23, 2017
mr1759:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/abolish-states-adopt-6-geo-political-zones-federating-units-atiku/

For once Atiku Abubakar has spoken the minds of many Nigerians including my humble self.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Fallasy(m): 4:27pm On May 23, 2017
Whatever they do to reduce the number of political seats is a welcome development.
A lot of people who are politicians today abandoned their professions and joined politics without getting to the peak of what they studied. It's really affecting the country negatively because some experienced people who are supposed to be in classrooms,hospitals,industries etc suddenly became lazy politicians who depend on stealing to survive. If Atiku becomes president tomorrow,bet me he won't remember saying this at all. Nigeria politicians have no conscience and shame.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by erimmy(m): 4:32pm On May 23, 2017
three:
In the spirit of not ignoring the message because of the character of the messenger, this is the way to go.

Restructuring is NOT because of ethnicity but SERVES TO hardwire efficient public administration and National Development Planning.

Outside of this the current system encourages 'rent seeking'.

structural growth works intensely better at Local, Regional and National level and not Local, State and National.

If we need a high speed train from Lagos to Ilorin, how does that get done unless FG intervenes (fat chance), whereas on a regional level it's easy-peasy.

The amount of wasted funds spent on Government functionaries in every state is absurd particularly in a developing country like ours.

A bank in Nigeria just increased its customer base by about 1.7M without opening an additional branch, Brick and Mortar government costs more money and is less efficient in this day and age.

'Young People' you are toying with decisions that will affect you when you are 'Old People' and the people that made the decision have since left to the other side.

Exactly,the way to go.I'm from the Niger Delta, but I don't want this idea of separation.

We are very much strong being together as a country, but let's restructure and have real federating units and not this unitary system of government, we erroneously call federation.

Let the federating units grow and develop their regions at their own pace and only make contributions to the centre .We need the central government to legislate only on issues of foreign affairs, Defence,and homeland security.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 23, 2017
aribisala0:
Lagos state is not
Let them look into national confab reports, it was not about PDP or GEJ, but Nigeria as a whole.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by Otunba2004(m): 4:40pm On May 23, 2017
Mr. Atiku even if you're president of this country you don't have constitution power to do all what you just said so don't deceive us with your sweet mouth Mr. Buhari said more than this but what we see today rubbish and nonsense.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by aolawale025: 4:57pm On May 23, 2017
luwathobi:
Buhari returned us to 25 years ago now Atiku want to return us to Awolowo days

It's not so. Buhari took us back economically. Atiku's plan would be structurally. And that was why the structure during Awolowo, Zik, Ahmadu Bello was the best. That's why Nigeria had a TV station even before some European countries then.
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by emmaitive(m): 5:15pm On May 23, 2017
mr1759:
so in south south where are we going to use as regional city capital
porthacourt
Re: Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku by emmaitive(m): 5:18pm On May 23, 2017
dt is d way to go jor..d present system is jst a taboo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obaseki Warns Ijaws: "Don’t Take My Tolerance For Granted" / Newswire Retracts Story About Terrorist Watchlist. Pantami Reacts. / APC Rules Out Statutory Delegates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.