Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,915 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? (19004 Views)

"Giving Your Toddler A Smartphone Is Like Giving Them Hard Drugs" - Says Expert / Wife Beats, Hits Her Husband But The Husband Refuses To Fight Back / Should A Wife's Money Be '' Hers '' , While The Husband's Money Be " Ours " ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:34pm On May 25, 2017
No
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by cuedish: 5:36pm On May 25, 2017
Raine80:
Let's clarify this
1. If the gifts were for the daughter then there is a problem. He could have done this before she got married
2. Since when do you give one party gifts at a wedding is it not meant for both of them?
3. Maybe the daughter is one of those women who makes the man know she comes from money, they argue " get out of my house" she is unhappy " get out of my car!" So the man left. It's not just about the car or the house as it was 6 months after the wedding. It is about what the car represents.

YOU NAILED IT......YOU BE MARRIAGE COUNCELOR?

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 25, 2017
now ,let me share a true life story,this couple wedded on Saturday, flew back to Lagos on Saturday evening only to return to her father's house on Monday with bruises and a swollen eye,what happened?,the man found $5,000 inside her bible during their first morning devotion gifted to her by her aunty that came from the States.my people that was how the man spent some days behind bars and the marriage was annulled.Most Nigerian men are too egocentric to handle her having things in her name

8 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Mofpearl: 5:37pm On May 25, 2017
Don't see anything wrong with it.

Why would he need hubby's permission to get me a car in the first place?
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by charain: 5:38pm On May 25, 2017
Snow84:

Learn how to pass relationship-related comments from that Raine80 moniker. If the father had made it known that he gave the car to her daughter, that marriage is doomed, especially if the man is not rich enough to own a car. If the husband is not rich, and the wife is from a rich family, enrich the man, for charity sake, and see the man becoming grateful by loving his wife more, assuming what brought them together initially is genuine love. Before marriage, the father should have tested the man by giving him 1m naira to see r what he can do with it. If the 1m naira vanishes without making any good use of it, the father would advise her daughter to be wary of the man, and steer clear of interfering in the affairs of the upcoming family. You don't have to teach young people, adversities will teach them.

The question you should ask yourself is why an egoistic poor man will marry a rich woman ?
when a woman refuse to marry below her class you say; women are only after money,
when a rich woman fall for a poor guy you accuse her of disrespecting the husband by being rich.
What exactly do you want ?

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 25, 2017
I wonder how the marriage would look like the wife rides a car and he doesn't.

Why not transfer it to cash and give the couple to start their family.

That man is unknowingly causing trouble.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:39pm On May 25, 2017
Raine80:
Let's clarify this
1. If the gifts were for the daughter then there is a problem. He could have done this before she got married
2. Since when do you give one party gifts at a wedding is it not meant for both of them?
3. Maybe the daughter is one of those women who makes the man know she comes from money, they argue " get out of my house" she is unhappy " get out of my car!" So the man left. It's not just about the car or the house as it was 6 months after the wedding. It is about what the car represents.
A father do not need ANYBODY's permission to give his daughter gifts! Nobody's permission! So you don't know inheriting one's parent through a will is a form of gift? So a parent need the husband permission to will something to his daughter? LOL!!!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 25, 2017
Saintsammurai:
I saw this on twitter..
Must a father seek permission from his daughter's husband-to-be before giving her a car or house as wedding gift?
A guy left his wife because her dad gave her a car as a wedding gift without his permission..
Its not really necessary to eat rice with beans. I learn't that the Acting president is performing well.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong with it! She is my daughter, and I will give her whatever I wanna give her.
This African mentality of 'husband is the owner of the wife, and everything that belongs to her' needs to be gone!!!
Gosh! sometimes I don't blame feminists!
If it's the husband that was gifted, nobody would say anything oh, but because it's the woman, it has become taboo.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by tutudesz: 5:40pm On May 25, 2017
dominique:
Even an in-law must walk on eggshells to massage the bloated ego of an average Nigerian man. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. Why on earth should a woman reject a gift from her own parent? Asking for permission means that there is a possibility of rejecting the car gift which is a huge disrespect to the father that raised her. So many rules and regulations a Nigerian woman must follow all in the name of "keeping her marriage". Nigerians can make marriage harder than rocket science sha.
Gift or no gift marriage that will end will end! Next the daughter will need permission from her husband to visit her dad.

3 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 25, 2017
dangotesmummy:
men and their ego again.kini big deal for goodness sake.shebi its the 2 of them that owns the car.una no dey taya undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
sisi
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:43pm On May 25, 2017
padiga047:

What is your business with what your wife own? Please what your wife own, is hers alone! What you own is for the family!

4 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by tutudesz: 5:45pm On May 25, 2017
mfm04622:

A father do not need ANYBODY's permission to give his daughter gifts! Nobody's permission! So you don't know inheriting one's parent through a will is a form of gift? So a parent need the husband permission to will something to his daughter? LOL!!!
So who among the husband or the wife will a guest take permission from before bring a car gift?
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Afam4eva(m): 5:46pm On May 25, 2017
I saw this on facebook and i was like WTF? People are taking this marriage shebang a little too seriously. How on earth is a father giving his own daughter a gift an issue bikonu?

10 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by kindkingsley: 5:47pm On May 25, 2017
makydebbie:
What makes it wrong for daddy to buy his daughter a gift?

The wrong now be say the daughter go go marry the papa with the gift. Rubbish father. Why he nor gv them as wedding gift even though we all know its indirectly for the daughter. Anything you do apply wisdom.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by DOnlooker(m): 5:49pm On May 25, 2017
HITTED:
I wish for a wife who will get a car gift from her father on our wedding day.

So help me God!
Be careful what you wish for. A father who just one hour after you and his daughter has been joined together as ONE, singles her out and gifts her a car in the full glare of the wedding guests is sending you some strong non-coded messages among which are;
1.) He doesn't see you as the head of the newly created family otherwise it should have been both of you together he will hand over the car keys.
2.) No matter the circumstances, in the event of any misunderstanding, you will always be the one at fault.
3.) He is trying to intimidate you already with money.
etc, etc.
I wouldn't want to have a FIL that will do that, not on the wedding day at least because it will leave a lasting impression on the guests that her father will continue to bankroll my marriage. A real man will understand.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nickymezor(f): 5:50pm On May 25, 2017
Mofpearl:
Don't see anything wrong with it.

Why would he need hubby's permission to get me a car in the first place?
Well said dear. I dont knw why some folks think its totally wrong wen it aint.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:50pm On May 25, 2017
Snow84:

Learn how to pass relationship-related comments from that Raine80 moniker. If the father had made it known that he gave the car to her daughter, that marriage is doomed, especially if the man is not rich enough to own a car. If the husband is not rich, and the wife is from a rich family, enrich the man, for charity sake, and see the man becoming grateful by loving his wife more, assuming what brought them together initially is genuine love. Before marriage, the father should have tested the man by giving him 1m naira to see r what he can do with it. If the 1m naira vanishes without making any good use of it, the father would advise her daughter to be wary of the man, and steer clear of interfering in the affairs of the upcoming family. You don't have to teach young people, adversities will teach them.

Please!!! This is wrong! Very wrong! My wife is from a rich background. She brought jewellery worth more than a million to my house after marriage! Is it my business? Her money is her money. Presently, she has 2 cars she bought with her money. I don't have any! It is never a problem. I maintain the cars. But they are hers. Registered in her name. Why should that be a problem?

11 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 25, 2017
mfm04622:

What is your business with what your wife own? Please what your wife own, is hers alone! What you own is for the family!
hahahahaha, if you are a woman, I would NEVER marry you.
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by ImaIma1(f): 5:51pm On May 25, 2017
padiga047:

Does it matter who drives the car? Most responsible men allow their wives to drive the only car while they find their way. They put their wife's comfort above theirs. A car gift us a gift.

9 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:53pm On May 25, 2017
tutudesz:

So who among the husband or the wife will a guest take permission from before bring a car gift?

Some gifts are too big to be given without explanation. A guest will need to explain why he or she is given another man's wife a car! Don't you think so?
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:54pm On May 25, 2017
padiga047:

Am a man. Married for 13 years now

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 25, 2017
ImaIma1:

Does it matter who drives the car? Most responsible men allow their wives to drive the only car while they find their way. They put their wife's comfort above theirs. A car gift us a gift.

There is a line between kindness and mumism.

The man who did what you said has unfortunately crossed that line.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 25, 2017
mfm04622:

Am a man. Married for 13 years now
Did your wife have a car and you didn't?
Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Dpharisee: 5:55pm On May 25, 2017
Giving a woman a big gift such as a house or car can create problems for the new couple; I know of a couple whose rich parent gave their daughter a house as wedding gift and one day they had a quarrel and she told him to his face that 'after all, he is living in her house given to her by her parents' he threw her out and she ran home to report him to her parents.

The father invited the guy and his wife and told the daughter to kneel before her husband and ask for his forgiveness and told her that the house he gave was for the two of them and that her husband is the head of the home and custodian of the property and not her.
He then asked her to promise in their presence that she will always be a good wife and she goes back to her husband's house and that solved the problem. If the father had not handled it carefully, that marriage would have packed up and today they are a happy couple.

Like was done by my family in a recent wedding, the gift of a new car by the family for the wife was placed in her hands with the husbands hand underneath same way the place the couples hands over the knife during the wedding cake cutting event.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by papauju(m): 5:55pm On May 25, 2017
HITTED:
I wish for a wife who will get a car gift from her father on our wedding day.

So help me God!
stop wishing and work smart to buy it and think of giving your own daughter too

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:56pm On May 25, 2017
padiga047:

Men are supposed to take care of their family. Even if your wife is a billionaire, her feeding and her housing, you MUST provide. Also some clothes once in a while. That is how to be a man.

4 Likes

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nofuckgiven: 5:56pm On May 25, 2017
The lady is lucky she escaped a low self-esteemed loser! How can the man ever grow with such poverty mentality?? Envy and resentment would eventually make him either become a wife beater or worse! She should find her class abeg,that dude is way below her. Marriage is not just based on love. undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by woodmood: 5:57pm On May 25, 2017
dominique:
Even an in-law must walk on eggshells to massage the bloated ego of an average Nigerian man. This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion. Why on earth should a woman reject a gift from her own parent? Asking for permission means that there is a possibility of rejecting the car gift which is a huge disrespect to the father that raised her. So many rules and regulations a Nigerian woman must follow all in the name of "keeping her marriage". Nigerians can make marriage harder than rocket science sha.

Good comment.
This should not be a topic for discussion. Useless and worthless ego predicated on emptiness.
The guy should go and double his hustle. Or in the alternative he should go and pray more because if he has cars already, he would be happy that at least his wife will NO longer drag cars with him.

On a serious note, I think the guy should know that a lot of things come along with marrying from a rich family. On of these is insult if that is what he classifies the gift as.

People now see marriage as something you can walk out of at any provocation.

What a world.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by mfm04622: 5:58pm On May 25, 2017
padiga047:
Did your wife have a car and you didn't?

She presently have 2 cars while I don't have any! So?

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 25, 2017
mfm04622:

She presently have 2 cars while I don't have any! So?
wonderful

Re: Giving Your Daughter Car As A Wedding Gift Wrong Without The Husband's Consent? by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 25, 2017
Which useless topic is this?
Permission to give my own daughter gift? Is the guy's brain on reverse or what? If it were the other way round, we would have been hearing "my mother that watched my infant bed, my mum comes first". Ordinary car? Not house?

Some Nigerian men ego be bigger than Jupiter.

See why some babes are hypergamous? Mtcheew.

10 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Surprises His Wife With A Car As Valentine Gift (Photos) / Wife Raped By Brother-in-law / “domestic Violence Can’t Be Cured” – Woman As She Walks Out Of Her Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.