Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

What Is Real? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Real? (2541 Views)

When Your Prayers And Fasting Is Real, They Will Produce These Results / Woman Crashes Car After Hitting A Pole While Trying To Show That God Is Real / Stephanie Otobo Attempts To Prove Facetime She Had With Apostle Suleman Is Real (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Real? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Aug 24, 2017
Very interesting read, actually blew my mind. I'll be thinking about this for a while
Re: What Is Real? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 25, 2017
I believe there are two divisions, if you will, of reality. There is the apparent reality and the true reality.

The apparent reality is the reality that can be perceived, observed, experienced, or logically inferred. However apparent reality is completely subjective and it varies depending on the person experiencing it. The apparent reality is the reality that one is able to experience with the tools available to them, even though any reality exists beyond this apparent reality it is impossible to know as there are no means available by which it can be known if that makes sense. For the individual the only reality that exists is the apparent reality, anything beyond that cannot reasonably be said to exist.

In contrast the true reality is pure objective reality. This reality is divorced from apparent reality and it's existence is not dependant on it's observance. Although the true reality could be the same as the apparent reality in some cases, It may not always be possible to know the true reality because as you've stated we might not have the means to observe the true reality in every case.

Therefore I believe what is real is limited to what can be observed, experienced or logically inferred. While anything beyond this might exist it does not exist to us as we are not capable of knowing of it's existence.

What is known to be real is a collectively agreed upon interpretation of that with which we observe, experience or infer. A collective apparent reality. If a schizophrenic sees monsters growing from a wall, this is their apparent reality, it may not be the true reality and it is not the collective apparent reality as majority of people will see no monsters growing from a wall. Like the apparent reality, the collective apparent reality can of course be different from the true reality.

We are real because we experience ourselves experiencing our world. We could be a simulation but even within the simulation we are real and we exist.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Real? by johnydon22(m): 1:39pm On Aug 25, 2017
LightandDarkness:
I believe there are two divisions, if you will, of reality. There is the apparent reality and the true reality.

The apparent reality is the reality that can be perceived, observed, experienced, or logically inferred. However apparent reality is completely subjective and it varies depending on the person experiencing it. The apparent reality is the reality that one is able to experience with the tools available to them, even though any reality exists beyond this apparent reality it is impossible to know as there are no means available by which it can be known if that makes sense. For the individual the only reality that exists is the apparent reality, anything beyond that cannot reasonably be said to exist.

In contrast the true reality is pure objective reality. This reality is divorced from apparent reality and it's existence is not dependant on it's observance. Although the true reality could be the same as the apparent reality in some cases, It may not always be possible to know the true reality because as you've stated we might not have the means to observe the true reality in every case.

Therefore I believe what is real is limited to what can be observed, experienced or logically inferred. While anything beyond this might exist it does not exist to us as we are not capable of knowing of it's existence.

What is known to be real is a collectively agreed upon interpretation of that with which we observe, experience or infer. A collective apparent reality. If a schizophrenic sees monsters growing from a wall, this is their apparent reality, it may not be the true reality and it is not the collective apparent reality as majority of people will see no monsters growing from a wall. Like the apparent reality, the collective apparent reality can of course be different from the true reality.

We are real because we experience ourselves experiencing our world. We could be a simulation but even within the simulation we are real and we exist.

I agree with this really.

1 Like

Re: What Is Real? by Freiburger(m): 3:55pm On Aug 25, 2017
Nothing is real. We live in a holographic universe.
Re: What Is Real? by johnydon22(m): 5:40pm On Aug 25, 2017
Freiburger:
Nothing is real. We live in a holographic universe.

Isn't the hologram real?
Re: What Is Real? by Dohgon(m): 3:30am On Aug 26, 2017
johnydon22:
"Corgito Ergo sum" Famous quote from the famous French philosopher Descartes which means 'I think, therefore i am

If we have no eyes, we would be unaware of the existence of color, what if we are missing an entire part of existence because we have not the organ to detect it Anonymous Quote

What is real?

certainly many of us have never asked ourselves this question, countless times we are on this board and very many others making confident remarks, stoic convictions about life, reality and existence but have we asked ourselves a question like that above with the aim of sieving reality?

We perceive this reality through our senses, our thoughts are shaped by our perception of this reality which is through our sense but like the quote above says, what if there is an entire aspect we are missing because we have not the organ to detect it?

What if the ones we detect are illusionary made from a treacherous organs we possess?

We barely know 1% of the universe, what if what we can perceive through our senses are not even up to 1% of what reality has to offer, maybe we are missing the majority of what is real?

But wait, What exactly is real and how do we measure what is real from what is not?

Descartes even though in conclusion of his ideas went back to his old vomit, he in fact undeniably started a string that is interesting.

The rattle snake sees in infrared, the bumble bee in x-ray, to these creatures color is not real but that doesn't mean it is not, at least to us.

is reality subjective? if it is then can we then refer to it as reality?

the very definition of reality spell objectivity, therefore what is real and what is not?

We perceive the universe through our sense but times and again that has proven to be unreliable and incomplete therefore incompetent.

from the onset of his meditation descartes first dropped everything he believed, even that which is obvious to him as his body.

This is a question i am dying to discuss, this is a point i want to stretch - How do we determine what is real?

are we even real?

Do you think this is all there is to what is or is there a possibility of more to reality, what you may call spiritual or there about?

do you think that there is so much we are blinded to?

[while at it i'd appreciate we avoid stoic remarks on our convictions, rather possess a free flowing mind ready to touch every possibility and path our imaginations may lead]

What is Real?
Great question. We can only assume that Humans are equipped with all the tools we need to decipher our reality however, the 6th Sense, for instance has vertually disappeared because we no longer exercise it. What is the 6th Sense? Intuition.

Intuition is the combining of your 5 Senses to anticipate and even predict outcomes. Sadly, we are loosing it because of a reliance on technology.

We dont even know if we had more Senses however, we do know the 5 remaining are useful in deciphering reality as we know it. Senses are designed to initiate stimulation in our Brain. Different people might even experience a different stimulation than others. Color blindness is a good example. Some people may see a red color as blue. In Dohgon science every color is associated with a number according to the wavelenght.
0 is Black
1 is Red
2 is Yellow
3 is Green
4 is Blue
and so on. Black is the source of all existance, wisdom, and knowledge. We dont strive for enlightnment, we strive for endarkenment.
1 is Red because Red has the longest wavelenght. That is why Red is used to get attention. It is the easiest to see.

So what happens when someone is color blind? Their reality will be mixed up. They might go through a traffic light and cause an accident. We might even say those people are living in a different reality because they dont see it as a majority of people do. Reality is therefore based on the interpretations of our stimulations.

Then there are the Authistic (some call them witches and demons) whos Brains are locked in one or two Senses enabling them to perform exceptionally at one thing while being inept at another.

Yes there is a lot we are blind to and may never know or gain knowledge of because of blind Faith and Fear of the Unknown.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Real? by Deicide: 7:21am On Aug 27, 2017
I think perception is reality
Re: What Is Real? by PastorAIO: 2:10pm On Aug 27, 2017
johnydon22:

To us humans what is real is directly influenced by our perception of it, like you said what directly has an effect on us even in the most negligible way is obviously real.

By perception I suppose you don't mean awareness. Something can affect us yet we won't be aware of it. Such a thing would be real but we wouldn't be aware of it. In fact most of reality would be beyond our awareness.

Perception suggests a certain quaila involved while we may be effected by an event but not feel we have perceived the event.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Real? by PastorAIO: 2:27pm On Aug 27, 2017
johnydon22:

Our perception is feeble, it can come up with dreams, imaginations and hallucinations, perceptional mirages that tickle our realities.

But what if our whole reality is just in our head, what if my computer screen and keyboard is just in my mind, what if even my own body is but a dream of a mind somewhere in eternity?

Are we simulated?
I'm
Religiously yes we are!
it is not impossible.

So how do we really tell what we perceive is real?

But at the end of the day we are unbearably limited, what ever method we employ to judge our mind will always be the judge, but our mind is the only thing we can really tell is real, nothing stops every other thing from being just a picture in the mind

I still think that whatever it is that is in our imaginations and dreams the question would be whether or not they are totally spontaneous phenomena with no relation with anything else or whether they arise as a response to a verifiable reality.

For instance, when a teenager has a wet dream, is the dream a spontaneous event with no relationship to anything real? Or is it the effect of the very real fact that his body is been flooded with hormones like testosterone.

Can our dreams tell us about reality? Even our phantasies. Or are they unrelated to reality?

Everything real is entangled and interacting with everything else that's real. Everything that is not caught up in, or entangled with, the rest of reality cannot be real. Including parrallel universes.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Real? by sonmvayina(m): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
Taking about what is real and what is true...take poverty for instance, to us it might be true as it is the reality we experience but to buhari's children or dangote's children, it is not their reality..so it is true to us and real....but not to their children..

But one thing I know, we live in a simulated universe..we are avatars. Much like the pieces in a chess board...
Re: What Is Real? by PastorAIO: 3:38pm On Aug 27, 2017
I agree with you distinction of apparent and true reality.

I would go further to say that there is a relationship between apparent reality and true reality. That apparent reality is dependent on and derived from true reality.

In other words, our senses take true reality and create an apparent reality from it. Even the apparent reality of the most deluded fellows is based on true reality too, and if only we knew how then we could interpret their delusions to get good information in truth.

LightandDarkness:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Real? by PastorAIO: 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
Would consistency be an attribute of true reality. I.e what was was can never be again would mean that it was not true reality. But what was, is and forever will be would be the only true reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Real? by OlamartDynasty(m): 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2017
djdoxxx:

The ONLY way to Activate your Imaginations is to REFLECT on them...

And, the ONLY way to activate your REFLECTIONS is to develop internal ENERGIES ( positive or negative ) towards your REFLECTS.

The easiest way to activate ANY of these Energies( positive or negative ) within you is to "WRITE".

Johnnydon22 , Seun, Akin Alabi, Pavore9, Plattoen and so many smart nairalanders on here unconsciously, subconsciously and consciously KNOW that " WRITING" is the ACTION TRIGGER to grow and make manifest any imagination from the unconsciousness to consciousness (real life).

Coincidentally, this thread is another virtual trigger to my real existence ( who I really am?). Something I have been shying away from...

A pointer: Ask yourself this question;

Why really do I exist ?

This is a question every living individual should have answer(s) to.

And the answer(s) to the question above can not be farfetched when you answer yourself with this question :

"What is my service to humanity ?"

Now, this is becoming more confusing right?

And the answer(s) to the immediate question above can not be farfetched when you answer yourself with this question :

" What can I do to HEAL THE WORLD?"

Rings a bell right?
...Michael Jackson was totally right when he sang back in time with some other amazing musicians who saw the need for the world to be a better place when they activated their REFLECTIONS through WRITING the Lyrics and SINGING the song ' Heal The World'. ( That is their own way of helping humanity - touching the life of humanity through strings and chords of their hands and voice). No doubt, helping humanity brings about ABSOLUTE SUCCESS.

Yea, the world already is in so many problems and troubles today...how do you and I contribute to solving/reducing one or many of the problems of the world?

This simple act is what makes successful people successful - Solving problems for people ; and this makes them happy and successful.

And the ONLY way to achieve success (helping people; solving problems) is to BE REAL.

Being REAL is to practice and master the "ART of Nature"

I am presently working on a book I titled : " The School of Life - LIFE IN BRIEF"...

Once I'm done, I will be putting it up on nairaland for free.... I will be sending you personal copy if you so want one.

Send me the book if you now have it written
Re: What Is Real? by johnydon22(m): 9:36am On Jul 18, 2018
PastorAIO:
Would consistency be an attribute of true reality. I.e what was was can never be again would mean that it was not true reality. But what was, is and forever will be would be the only true reality.

Let's bring this back?
Re: What Is Real? by orisa37: 1:08pm On Jul 18, 2018
Christ:- God "of Light". God "A GOOD IMAGE". God "God's Life". God "The Faith". God "The Hope". "God of Peace". "God in Love". Exists in all His Splendour and His Existence endures forever.
Re: What Is Real? by PastorAIO: 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2018
johnydon22:

Let's bring this back?

Okay, but you have to respond to my last contributions.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Believe Witches Exists? / A Big Mighty Earthquake Is Very Imminent And Will Happy Anytime From Now / Muhammed Suicide Attempts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.