Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. (56825 Views)

Is It Wrong For This Young Lady To Have Accepted Lunch Before Being Interviewed? / A Lady I tried To Give A Job Of N393,000 Blocked Me On Facebook / He Was Interviewed In The Morning, Company Saw This On His Twitter Page Later (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by TWoods(m): 2:19am On Jun 08, 2017
Lagban:
GOD BLESS THE OP. God will continue to enrich him in all ramifications . Ignore those who think you did the wrong thing . You will be shocked if they were in charge of the interview. You are a true HERO. You will never lack anything by his grace. God will continue to shower his blessings on you @OP. Dont be discouraged by the ill comments of those whwo think they are MR/MRS PROFESSIONALISM. MAN NO MAN na normal thing .

1. God does not bless dishonesty - obviously you read a different bible. I challenge you to show me where God blessed such.
2. He is no hero - rather he is an example of Nigeria's decline and the lack of integrity among those who call the name of the Lord (mostly in vain).
3. There is no grace to avoid lack - the Lord does not bless evil.
4. Your dismissal of professionalism is why your country isn't going to progress anytime soon. Even if all politicians dropped dead today, Nigeria will not change. The "youths" are just as cavalier with honesty.

Sigh... I just finished reviewing 63 job applications for my employer... many of whom were Nigerians. To be honest, i basically hit the "delete" button for every Nigerian application without more than a 5 minute glance.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by akanbiaa(m): 2:21am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:

Bro he was qualified base on what my company wanted.
Your mistake on Nairaland is mentioning that 2 people had professional certificates which he does not have, you know its not everyone who reads all information to make judgement and its not everyone who understands logic of minimum requirements and some are even insinuating you are ridiculing the Teacher by mentioning low Salary and his struggling for job when he should be settled by now. This should have been the story line, I met my former Teacher today while I was interviewing qualified applicants for a job in my organization and after all the scrutiny a and questioning he came tops in who we want for the job and he has been accepted into our organization (he is to resume work soon).
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by fxtreme(m): 2:27am On Jun 08, 2017
For those of you calling this "grace/divine arrangement", I truly wonder the kind of god you worship.

You shoot yourselves in the foot and wonder why you are injured.

3 Likes

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by meetchandus(m): 2:27am On Jun 08, 2017
Hello Sir,I dont know how to reach you.Will like to chat with you.My number is 08077834277..Been a while
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Lagban(m): 2:29am On Jun 08, 2017
ok thanks for the destructive commment . We are in Nigeria ,pls wake up, the OP took the best decission . Your point is a valid one but it is meant for the developed world. it doesnt work in the Nigerian setting . 9 out of 10 Nigerians will do what the OP has done and you think 1 out of 10 is significant enough to turn things around? we all know the ideal thing but this case is a special one and it is expected to treated in its own way.
TWoods:

This is senseless. If this was the OP's private business, where he is free to hire whoever he wants, then perhaps you might have a point. His employer entrusted him with a responsibility based on trust (Proverbs 22:29)... even the bible asks us to be faithful in that which is another's before we can expect to receive that which is ours (Luke 16:12).

The OP has no right to use another man's business as a way to show "gratitude" or grant "favor" to another. His story is the reason Nigeria is in a complete nosedive. What is worse is that we have learnt to couch our corruption in the name of "God".

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by femi4: 2:29am On Jun 08, 2017
Mustay:

See this:

If the professional certification was NOT a necessary requirement/standard for the post, no problem. Nonetheless, there is still a bias by the OP as he spent 30 minutes chatting and 5 minutes doing the actual work which is why it is better to avoid such situations - you won't treat them objectively because of your bias.

In such threads, I am not perturbed by those who (and this is not referring to you chiscodedon) insult you or tell you that "na baba God", "who professionalism epp", "u fit do am if na your bro?", "get rich or die poor" and the likes. Recently, someone's incident has shown us how even criminals will pose with exotic items generated from fraudulent income and still say "Baba God, u don do am for your boys".

What you are seeing here is a SOCIETY THAT HAS COME TO ACCEPT CORRUPTION AS NORMAL. Religion and other bases are just the manipulative thoughts to justify the wrong. Ironically, these people will blame politicians and leaders alike for favoring their lot while they cannot avoid what they condemn. Like they say, it is easy to throw stones when you are outside the glass house.

I am putting this out there so that some people (especially younger ones) are not misguided and really, I am not even moved or disturbed by differences in opinions - SAYING IT AS IT IS. He has given a context and provided basis for his decision. Imagine the other guys reading this and in their minds, like NL job seekers, they believe nothing works in Nigeria because they are qualified for certain jobs but are never picked as a result of favoritism.

We all have different moral codes and let yours guide you - to each his own. Good luck manson5011
When you have 2-3 people qualified for the same job. The next thing to look at are personal qualities. This is where his ex teacher would probably edge others out.
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by tomdon(m): 2:29am On Jun 08, 2017
Country hard oo
Shey na 48k or 480k job de cause all this long talk??
Lord have mercy

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Lagban(m): 2:30am On Jun 08, 2017
ok thanks for the destructive commment . We are in Nigeria ,pls wake up, the OP took the best decission . Your point is a valid one but it is meant for the developed world. it doesnt work in the Nigerian setting . 9 out of 10 Nigerians will do what the OP has done and you think 1 out of 10 is significant enough to turn things around. we all know the ideal thing but this case is a special one and it is expected to treated in its own way.
TWoods:

This is senseless. If this was the OP's private business, where he is free to hire whoever he wants, then perhaps you might have a point. His employer entrusted him with a responsibility based on trust (Proverbs 22:29)... even the bible asks us to be faithful in that which is another's before we can expect to receive that which is ours (Luke 16:12).

The OP has no right to use another man's business as a way to show "gratitude" or grant "favor" to another. His story is the reason Nigeria is in a complete nosedive. What is worse is that we have learnt to couch our corruption in the name of "God".
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by akanbiaa(m): 2:31am On Jun 08, 2017
TWoods:

1. God does not bless dishonesty - obviously you read a different bible. I challenge you to show me where God blessed such.
2. He is no hero - rather he is an example of Nigeria's decline and the lack of integrity among those who call the name of the Lord (mostly in vain).
3. There is no grace to avoid lack - the Lord does not bless evil.
4. Your dismissal of professionalism is why your country isn't going to progress anytime soon. Even if all politicians dropped dead today, Nigeria will not change. The "youths" are just as cavalier with honesty.

Sigh... I just finished reviewing 63 job applications for my employer... many of whom were Nigerians. To be honest, i basically hit the "delete" button for every Nigerian application without more than a 5 minute glance.
1. Jacob against his more qualified brother Esau
2. Hero can mean someone God used to give one a break or life line (He was chosen among many who had more paper qualification )
3. Grace at the right time can bring you out of lack to abundance.
4. This point would have been valid if he had chosen his former teacher based on indices below the minimum job requirements.
You have not told us why you keep hitting the delete button within 5 minutes glance of the applications so others wount make the mistakes you saw and why have a set mind on Nigerians (Kind of no good can come from them) you tested their professionalism and pragmatic prowess by giving them chance of an interview to prove themselves?

2 Likes

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Lagban(m): 2:32am On Jun 08, 2017
ok thanks for the destructive commment . We are in Nigeria ,pls wake up, the OP took the best decission . Your point is a valid one but it is meant for the developed world. it doesnt work in the Nigerian setting . 9 out of 10 Nigerians will do what the OP has done and you think 1 out of 10 is significant enough to turn things around. we all know the ideal thing but this case is a special one and it is expected to treated in its own way.
TWoods:

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Odosa1(m): 2:34am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:
Its obvious that life is a cycle.
There was this job vacancy in my place of work and 8 people did apply for it which they were to be interviewed yesterday.

By privilege as an Admin/Acct Officer I was authorized by my HR who was engaged in a crucial meeting to conduct the interview on his behalf so far I know what the company requires.

Lo and behold among them was my secondary school Teacher who did teaching practice (TP) when I was in SS1.

We were both shocked when we saw each other, looking at each other, I smiled and said Sir kindly have a seat.

We gist for 30mnts then I used 5mnts to ask him where he worked before now, that's all.

Meanwhile, I recommended him OK for the job and asked him to come and start work tomorrow.

It is good to live peacefully with all men as you may not know where your turning table will stop next.
The question is, was that a dishonesty for me to have picked him as there were 2 people who had professional certification ahead of him?

Nairalanders over to you!
same happend in my office, i was shocked 2 see my s s 1 teacher as my junior staff in same office
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by ramalot(m): 2:34am On Jun 08, 2017
This is the exact reason Nigeria is the dump it is today, and the dump it will be tomorrow if y'all don't change your attitudes.

When next you point fingers at hopeless Nigerian politicians for offering critical positions to their under-qualified kin, know you're no different.

All that "divine whatever" talk is total ignorance. Go ahead and explain that crap to the more qualified applicant (who could be you).

2 Likes

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by TWoods(m): 2:38am On Jun 08, 2017
Lagban:

I understand your point - 9 of 10 Nigerians are dishonest crooks... which is why the country does not work and perhaps never will. My advice to the 1 out of 10 Nigerians is to simply move out of the country. I did that and have never regretted it one bit.
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Lagban(m): 2:46am On Jun 08, 2017
you are right .
TWoods:

I understand your point - 9 of 10 Nigerians are dishonest crooks... which is why the country does not work and perhaps never will. My advice to the 1 out of 10 Nigerians is to simply move out of the country. I did that and have never regretted it one bit.
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by TWoods(m): 2:46am On Jun 08, 2017
akanbiaa:

1. Jacob against his more qualified brother Esau
2. Hero can mean someone God used to give one a break or life line (He was chosen among many who had more paper qualification )
3. Grace at the right time can bring you out of lack to abundance.
4. This point would have been valid if he had chosen his former teacher based on indices below the minimum job requirements.
You have not told us why you keep hitting the delete button within 5 minutes glance of the applications so others wount make the mistakes you saw and why have a set mind on Nigerians (Kind of no good can come from them) you tested their professionalism and pragmatic prowess by giving them chance of an interview to prove themselves?

I deleted the Nigerian applications asap because frankly they were an embarrassment.

1. PLEASE READ JOB ADVERTS! There is a reason that clear requirements for the job are spelled out. If a job says a masters + 5 years experience or a phd are the minimum requirements, why would you apply if you simply have a bachelor's degree? Unfortunately for the candidates, i do not believe in "grace" or "favor" when it comes to doing my job.

2. Do some research. If you can't even get the correct spelling of the company offering the job then there is no point reading your application. One individual from Lagos even sent me a cover letter whose very heading indicated that he was also applying to another job in a different department! That tells me the individual is either lazy, sloppy or can't be trusted to do a good job. Yep - delete.

3. As the recruitment leader, it is my responsibility to make sure that we recruit the strongest candidate possible who will be a positive influence on the rest of the group. You really don't want to be the guy who recruited your "family" based on "grace" only to end up with an employee whose contribution is far below par.

4. Pay attention to your cover letter. Don't fill it with meaningless buzzwords (a lecturer i know in a Nigerian school did just that - i had to laugh). Be succinct, no one has all day to read a story book. You have basically 2 paragraphs to summarize your skills and tell me why i should hire you over the next guy.

5. Unexplained gaps in your employment or educational history are red flags.

6. Don't put pictures on your resume!

7. Research the company you are applying to first. What sort of applicants do they typically hire? What are their qualifications? Use this to tailor your resume and you have a better shot.

4 Likes

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by bellotaofeek: 2:53am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:
There was this job vacancy in my place of work and 8 people did apply for it which they were to be interviewed yesterday.

By privilege as an Admin/Acct Officer I was authorized by my HR who was engaged in a crucial meeting to conduct the interview on his behalf so far I know what the company requires.

Lo and behold among them was my secondary school Teacher who did teaching practice (TP) when I was in SS1.

We were both shocked when we saw each other, looking at each other, I smiled and said Sir kindly have a seat.

We gist for 30mnts then I used 5mnts to ask him where he worked before now, that's all.

Meanwhile, I recommended him OK for the job and asked him to come and start work tomorrow.

It is good to live peacefully with all men as you may not know where your turning table will stop next.
The question is, was that a dishonesty for me to have picked him as there were 2 people who had professional certification ahead of
him?

God bless you brother .

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by blaakinlagos(m): 3:23am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:

So on point sir, thnx
This is devined responds from above. God bless you brother

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Nobody: 3:42am On Jun 08, 2017
yemi2plus:
Very unprofessional. You don't bring emotion into things like this.

Professional certificate doesn't always mean anything, especially when the recipient has zero job experience in the field. I was a self-taught Oracle Cert. Assoc. DBA many years ago, but looking back now, I don't look at it as an advantage in the job market, because I had mo relevant experience.

The best attribute I look at is the strength of character of candidates in job interviews. Who better than an ex-student to be the judge of character of candidate? If that teacher was unprofessional during his TP, I'm pretty sure the OP wouldnt recomnend him for the job.
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Burgerlomo: 3:47am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:

The question is, was that a dishonesty for me to have picked him as there were 2 people who had professional certification ahead of him?

Kudos! and this is what you deserve bro.

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by bareal(m): 3:49am On Jun 08, 2017
yemi2plus:

There's nothing you could have done bro, it's called divine intervention even if you wicked pass witches and wizards ...

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by VajanahDischaj(f): 4:00am On Jun 08, 2017
yemi2plus:
u dey reason like APC people? What's the emotion there? He has know the Man I wrote time, the teacher Contributed to what he is today. If na me I go even exchange position when I get appointment letter.

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by omoelerin1: 4:00am On Jun 08, 2017
galax1:
DAT was divine arrangement 4 him it breaks protocol. rem u were not d person dat should have done d interview but Gods plan made u act as his helper
reason we find ourselves where we are in this country. unfortunately, this is kind of sermon(divine favor) that comes from the pupit in most of the churches. modern nigerian xtians always seek for scriptural backing to justify their crook ways. dont complain when ruling elites engage their cronies and accolates alone in govt work without due process.

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by omoelerin1: 4:09am On Jun 08, 2017
anthney87:
God has used u. It is now left for him to go about testifying.

Bone that guy up dere telling you it is unprofessional. It is very professional my brother. Imagine someone who did teaching practice wen u were in sec school. Bro now you are a graduate and he is still struggling to get a good job.

Fear God brother. You did the right thing. Even me that graduated 7 years ago and still don't have a job yet was almost frustrated until I decided to go into agriculture.

Imagine that guy own scenario and someone here is saying it is unprofessional. Male I no swear give u o.
if a law enforcement agent or a judge do that what will you call it? i believe you will start singing lack of justice.
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by ransomed: 4:29am On Jun 08, 2017
Mustay:

Supported. Where you realise that you have a conflict, simply step aside or have someone else do this.

We all know we have biases and I totally understand the moral part the OP is trying to make but what OP does not realise is that, this is NEPOTISM. Nepotism is also a form of CORRUPTION.

Just to emphasise, nepotism is "the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs".

The irony or negative consequences of such actions is that the candidate's future performance or character can rub off on you or affect productivity later.

Nigerians compromise truth using religions and the likes but the truth remains the truth no matter whose ox is gored. Like UDF will say

"Conscience is an open wound, only the truth can heal it” - Uthman Dan Fodio
:::--- The truth did not help to heal the conscience of Uthman Dan Fodio when he led other Jihadists to exterminate innocent people who hesitated forceful conversion to Islam. He also planted his stooges in all "conquered" communities. Is that not Crime against humanity and utmost Nepotism? Things are easier said than done. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by omoelerin1: 4:34am On Jun 08, 2017
smithsydny:
All this unprofessional people here thunder fire all of unah finish .

This same set of people will still pray to get favour were ever they go and wen its another person they begin to lament.

If u say favour is bad may it not come ur way.

Op I call that grace.. When your break through reach ntn can stop it.. It was very easy for your HR to conduct it but because Gods word has to be fulfilled then it has to happen this way.

Go to USA visa section and see miracle. Read there transcript and see how most VO just ask one question and they grant you visa. The next person the VO will drill you wella or even deny you wen your even correct with everything..

God dey jare
nigerians and religion. when we succeed in our desire even if it is through dubious act it is miracle/favour but if it is failure what will you call that one? i dont know what concerns god in such triviality.

3 Likes

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by TWoods(m): 4:52am On Jun 08, 2017
VajanahDischaj:
u dey reason like APC people? What's the emotion there? He has know the Man I wrote time, the teacher Contributed to what he is today. If na me I go even exchange position when I get appointment letter.

This post makes me really sad. Black people have a problem.
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by jtjohn(m): 5:07am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:

what a heart of Gold u have............you can't have a brother in Heaven and still go to Hell.........morale of the lesson is always be Good to people u meet irrespective of the position u are, He or she could be ur helper tomorrow or to ur unborn child ..Good Name is better than Riches.

1 Like

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Daboomb: 5:10am On Jun 08, 2017
manson5011:

All these cooked-Up stories we read on Nairaland today sef!
While "Fiction" is a good area of in Writing, at least try to make it reasonable and show that you have some brilliant imagination!
And to think that most people read it and swallowed it up? Shows the level of intelligence of all these kids that have taken-over NAIRALAND.

*If he was your "TP" teacher in SS1, that means he is a graduate (only BSc or HND teach Senior level Secondary Class).
* Doing TP also means he is a PROFESSIONAL TEACHER that went to a Teacher Training.

Add the above together and you will know that people like him are in high demand, especially now that Govt has insisted that only those who attend teacher Training, can teach. Your fictional teacher cannot be out of job, as you are portraying him.

* You, as an admin officer now (Entry level graduate job!) means you have spent a minimum of 9yrs since he was your Teacher (3yrs in Senior Sec, 4yrs in the University, 1 year NYSC, 1Year probation on job... but we all know that if we factor-in NECO/JAMB repeats, Higher Institution Strikes and Closures, job searches, e.t.c, the last time this fictional man taught you will be like 15years ago! )

Now, for a qualified teacher doing TP 15years ago, we are looking at a Senior teacher or even an HOD in some schools.
A Primary school teacher earns over 48K a month, a Private School, untrained, auxillarry Teacher earns about 35K-40K monthly, now imagine what this graduate with approx 15yrs experience is earning today!
So, telling us he came looking for a 48K job in your place of work, does not add up.

Moreover, what sort of job does an HR Manager, in what sort of Company, delegates interview to a rookie like you and then use your judgement ONLY, to employ the person! grin grin grin
You even said you asked him to "come and start work tomorrow"! shocked shocked shocked
Wetin, na you be the MD of the Company? shocked
You like to make yourself feel important sha! grin grin

These last parts shows that your story is not only fabricated, it is poorly done..and it also shows that you have no idea of how things work in a work-environment.
You are probably just one unemployed 'Yoot' still dreaming and fantasising about employing his Teacher in future.

Nice try, but always think it through, next time.
I give you 3 out of 10.
grin undecided

4 Likes

Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Hamsaini: 5:11am On Jun 08, 2017
Sometimes life is by who you know not what you know
Re: How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. by Daboomb: 5:13am On Jun 08, 2017
omoelerin1:
nigerians and religion. when we succeed in our desire even if it is through dubious act it is miracle/favour but if it is failure what will you call that one? i dont know what concerns god in such triviality.

Dat one na original Satan-the-Devil handiwork naah! grin grin
Okay, l rebuke the devil in your life, sharp-sharp! shocked shocked

But seriously, that is the Nigerian for you!

Even Armed Robbers pray to succeed, when they go to rob and kill people and they think God can be tricked into such charade.
Some of them even come back with a smal portion of the loot, to bribe God...in terms of offerings, tithes and arms giving. grin grin
SMF's!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

My Experience With A Lady I Hired And Fired Last Week / 2018 Exxonmobil Recruitment For Engineers (Experienced And Graduate Trainees) / Lets Discus Payrolls In Nigeria. What Is Your Monthly Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.