Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

What Has Fashola Really Done? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Has Fashola Really Done? (8629 Views)

What Has Gej Really Done For The South East / What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? / Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Fashola Really Done? by VPersie: 4:32am On Jan 22, 2010
I have heard a lot of things both from the media and folks on her about the good things Governor Fashola has done. But when I call folks back home, they admit that infracstructure-wise, Lagos has changed, but that the life of the average Lagosian is not any better. So I ask, is Fashola really making a difference in the life of the average Lagosian? And is what he is doing really a big deal? Is he not just doing his job?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by revolt(m): 8:26am On Jan 22, 2010
Plus he's got loads of money at his disposal
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by mahal(m): 9:05am On Jan 22, 2010
@poster
With the infrastructure put in place, don't you think that would help make the life of lagosians easier and better ??
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by vicade(m): 9:15am On Jan 22, 2010
Fashola is just doing his job no doubt. But as an average Lagosian i can say the changes are immense. What he has done to oshodi and yaba and the road expansion at yaba for BRT is just sensational. it has reduced traffic and made these routes orderly

The 767 emergency number for lagos state actually works and it is free too. I had a fire scare in my house last week and called them and on two ocassions the fire service people called me back to keep calm that they are on their way. I stay in ikorodu by the way. soon enough they arrived with a brand new fire brigade truck. Mercedes to be precise.they Put demarcation to keep people away from the building and they put out thee fire before it actually spread. few years ago the house would have burnt cos there might have been no number to call, no water or no petrol or something

this is my own personal testimony to Fashola doing his job well. the only reason this is commendable is because very few politicians do their job well at all.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2010
Where in Ikorodu are you? @Vicade
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by DeepSoul(f): 2:11pm On Jan 22, 2010
VPersie:

I have heard a lot of things both from the media and folks on her about the good things Governor Fashola has done. But when I call folks back home, they admit that infracstructure-wise, Lagos has changed, but that the life of the average Lagosian is not any better. So I ask, is Fashola really making a difference in the life of the average Lagosian? And is what he is doing really a big deal? Is he not just doing his job?

That's a contradiction. If better provision of infrastructure has no effect on Lagosians, then it's useless, yes?

If Fashola has built better, more solid roads, how can a road user claim not to benefit? Apart from less time spent in traffic, ur car suffers less wear and tear, hence, less visits to the mechanic, which amounts to more money in ur pocket. This is just one of many examples
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 22, 2010
Deep Soul:

That's a contradiction. If better provision of infrastructure has no effect on Lagosians, then it's useless, yes?

If Fashola has built better, more solid roads, how can a road user claim not to benefit? Apart from less time spent in traffic, your car suffers less wear and tear, hence, less visits to the mechanic, which amounts to more money in your pocket. This is just one of many examples

Cars in Nigeria are designed to visit the mechanic garage whether they are used or not.

Something from nowhere happens to the car.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Abagworo(m): 2:31pm On Jan 22, 2010
from nigerian perspective,he has done a lot.but in a society where the expectations is more deep rooted,he will be scored low.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by VPersie: 3:45pm On Jan 22, 2010
@vicade

nice testimony.

What I am really wondering about is whether through Fashola's initiatives there is a reduction of poverty in Lagos. I know people in the middle/upper cadre of the society will significantly benefit from a more industrialized Lagos with better infrastructure, and which works better like other cities in the world. But in Lagos, there are a lot of poor people. Has Fashola made life easier for them? How? Are they significantly more likely to rise out of poverty under Fashola, than under other administrations?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by DisGuy: 4:04pm On Jan 22, 2010
he has cleaned up Lekki, Ikoyi Ajah basically all the island area
and he trying to free up all the traffic leading up to these areas- so kudo to the man Fash

Fash Da Man!

Big up all the agberos in lagos wink
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 22, 2010
And what has the Bauchi State Governor Malam Isa Yuguda, Oyo state Adebayo Alao-Akala or Ogun state OGD done?

Would you rather have them as your state governor or Fash.?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 22, 2010
Just passing by but if poster is really interested in learnning more about fashola, search nairaland archives or better still google, ***exit thread***
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by SkyBlue1: 4:35pm On Jan 22, 2010
osaass:

And what has the Bauchi State Governor Malam Isa Yuguda, Oyo state Adebayo Alao-Akala or Ogun state OGD done?

Would you rather have them as your state governor or Fash.?

Looking at choices as a pick between the lesser of evils never seems like a good choice to begin with. Let every bottle stand on its own, the poster was asking about Fashola and not about other state governors.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by queenesthr(f): 4:49pm On Jan 22, 2010
The work he has done, if compared to the amount of resources available to him, is infinitesimal.

How much does it cost to knock down shops in Oshodi?
How much does it cost to plant palm trees along the road?

He has repaved some roads in Yaba but what of Ketu-mile 12-Ikorodu? The roads are narrow and in a deplorable condition.
What of Epe? Iyana-ipaja? Egbeda? Abule-Egba? Okota? Ikotun-Egbe?

Lagos is not just Marina and Lagos Island.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by DeepSoul(f): 4:59pm On Jan 22, 2010
OMO IBO:

Cars in Nigeria are designed to visit the mechanic garage whether they are used or not.

Something from nowhere happens to the car.

It's either:
a) You've been driving 5th grade tokunbo cars or
b) Your village people are after you grin
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Jan 22, 2010
queenesthr:

The work he has done, if compared to the amount of resources available to him, is infinitesimal.

How much does it cost to knock down shops in Oshodi?
How much does it cost to plant palm trees along the road?

He has repaved some roads in Yaba but what of Ketu-mile 12-Ikorodu? The roads are narrow and in a deplorable condition.
What of Epe? Iyana-ipaja? Egbeda? Abule-Egba? Okota? Ikotun-Egbe?

Lagos is not just Marina and Lagos Island.

*****Shudders **** ROFLMAO!!!

memories!!!  cool
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jan 22, 2010
Queens-
you are probably annoyed with fashola because he didnt pave your house frontage on ikorodu road, lwkmd
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 22, 2010
Deep Soul:

It's either:
a) You've been driving 5th grade tokunbo cars or
b) Your village people are after you grin

LMAO. . . .  
This girl no go kill me.

Wetin i do you na?? lol
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Ilelobola: 5:21pm On Jan 22, 2010
Good question. Just back from Lagos and the only improvement I note is traffic seems to be moving better, still bad traffic of course and the roads just as bad. Also, our bins are collected regularly by some government agency for a token which is great. No running government water, we still depend on borehole. Solar powered street lights are a joke, they are useless as u can't see much with them at night.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Kobojunkie: 5:23pm On Jan 22, 2010
Ilelobola:

Good question. Just back from Lagos and the only improvement I note is traffic seems to be moving better, still bad traffic of course and the roads just as bad. Also, our bins are collected regularly by some government agency for a token which is great. No running government water, we still depend on borehole. Solar powered street lights are a joke, they are useless as u can't see much with them at night.

What part of Lagos did you go through?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by queenesthr(f): 5:39pm On Jan 22, 2010
What of public schools and hospitals? Have we really seen any improvements? What of public water supply?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On Jan 22, 2010
queenesthr:

What of public schools and hospitals? Have we really seen any improvements? What of public water supply?

May I ask what particular area you live in? and what local government as well?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by suxes2005(m): 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2010
Fashola is a man to follow

A role model to other govs.

He has done credibly well in Lagos.

SHALOM
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by vicade(m): 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2010
@kobojunkie

I'm @ the Agric Area of Ikorodu
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On Jan 22, 2010
vicade:

@kobojunkie

I'm @ the Agric Area of Ikorodu

Are you close to Lagos Rd/Aunty Kenny/St Augustine area, or far inside of Agric? How is internet connection there? Do you use 24/7 internet, if yes, which one and why?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by VPersie: 6:59pm On Jan 22, 2010
@Kobojunkie

Why do you come on threads, move round in circles, ask silly questions, and never contribute. You are sickening.

@Others

I still need answers on whether or not poor Lagosians have a significantly better life because of Fashola. Is there better health care and education? Is three-square meals more easy to come by? Is it easier to put a roof over a family? Those are the areas I am concerned about. However, I acknowledge his efforts in the area of building roads, managing the poor traffic situation and generally implementing what seems like a vision to make Lagos live up to its status as NIgeria's commercial nerve center. But, what about the masses?
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by DrKitaun(m): 7:13pm On Jan 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Are you close to Lagos Rd/Aunty Kenny/St Augustine area, or far inside of Agric? How is internet connection there? Do you use 24/7 internet, if yes, which one and why?

I dont know what u r insinuating but right now I am browsing from a cafe at Agric Area . . .plus almost everywhere in Lag has internet coverage cool

Zain, MTN, Glo, Reltel. . .u name it
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by babapupa: 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2010
Abagworo:

from nigerian perspective,he has done a lot.but in a society where the expectations is more deep rooted,he will be scored low.

Don't you first have to equip him with the same tools and financial resources available to folks in the so called society where expectation is more and watch him perform before judging him? Most of the societies you're talking about are working off ready made platform built by decades of attentive governance and ever increasing financial resources. Fashola is basically starting from scratch with little resources and irresponsible federal system.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by babapupa: 7:47pm On Jan 22, 2010
@ poster, why no just go to his website and find out, it's just a couple of clicks away.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by babapupa: 7:49pm On Jan 22, 2010
queenesthr:

What of public water supply?

Lagos To Get 30 Million Gallons Of Water Daily Soon

Jan 21, 2010 - Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Thursday commissioned two mini water works located at Mende, Maryland and Magodo in Kosofe Local Government with a firm commitment that 30 million gallons of water would soon be delivered to the people from the 15 mini water works being constructed across the State.

According to Governor Fashola who spoke while commissioning the two mini water works that will deliver two million gallons of water each, eight of the mini water works have been fully completed and are being handed over to the people of the communities where they are located beginning with Magodo and Mende.

He added that the remaining seven are also at different stages of completion across the State with all of them scheduled for delivery in the next few weeks as part of the short term plan of providing water for the populace.

The Governor also said the new 15 mini water works in addition to providing 30 million gallons of water to the people of Lagos daily would also each come with five kilometre reticulation to aid the distribution of the water.

Governor Fashola said as part of the medium term plan of the State Government for solving the problem of water supply, the Iju Waterworks and Adiyan water works with a capacity to produce 130 million gallons of water daily would be positioned for optimum production as the state is building a 12.5 megawatt independent power station that would be dedicated to the two water works, promising that before June this year, the Independent power station would be commissioned.

Governor Fashola who described the commissioning of the two mini water works at Mende and Magodo as a fulfillment of his electoral promises to the people two and half years ago, added that on the long term plan, the Government would build new massive waterworks through the Adiyan Phase 2 and Odomola in Epe.

While stressing that the plans form part of the water sector reforms of the Government, he invited private investors to come forward and partner with the state by investing in the water sector just as it is done overseas.

He also said water supply is a major component of the State Government’s responsibility to sustain the environment, promote sustainability and provision of health care and prevent disease.

In his words: “While some people see this as a Millennium Development Goal (MDG) or a goal that has a particular date, we in our party (the Action Congress) see it as a Minimum Development Goal”.

Governor Fashola added: “A long time ago they told us that everything will happen in Year 2010, we are now in 2010, the miraculous year. The Action Congress (AC) believes that this are things that should not have a date but should be the primary function of any serious party that wants to form government in this country” .

Governor Fashola also expressed appreciation to the contractor which handled the mini water works at Magodo for donating a computer and laboratory science block to the school behind the water works without any prompting.

He described the conduct of the contractor as a commendable act of giving something back to the community by people who have prospered from their endeavours in the area.

On the plea and clamour of some youths in Mende, Maryland for the Governor to intervene and save the playground in the area, Governor Fashola said he has been briefed on the issue by leaders like Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora and Honourable Bayo Osinowo, promising to ensure that the playground is saved.

He appealed to the residents of the communities where the water works are located not to see the projects as government properties, but facilities they should be ready to defend, adding that the people should guide against vandalisation, cutting of pipe and making illegal connections.

Governor Fashola also implored residents to pay their water bills regularly noting that refusing to do so will deprive the water corporation of resources to keep the supply going, buy diesel and maintain the facility, which would ultimately be inimical to the ability of the facility to supply water to the people.

Earlier, while speaking at the commissioning of the water works at Magodo, the Deputy Minority Leader of the Senate, Senator Olorunimbe Mamora commended Governor Babatunde Fashola for becoming the trademark for performance and good governance in Nigeria.

Senator Mamora also acknowledged the role of former Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu who laid the foundation, saying no leadership is complete without succession adding that the vision, courage and strategy laid down by Asiwaju Tinubu is what Fashola is putting in place and taking higher.

Also speaking, a member of the State House of Assembly representing Kosofe Constituency, Mr Bayo Oshinowo commended Governor Fashola for not disappointing the party which nominated him for the Governorship election in 2007 by fulfilling his electoral promises.

The Governor also inspected the Oregun and Egan-Igando Skill Acquisition centres where costumes for the forthcoming Lagos Fanty festival are being produced.

Governor Fashola who was received by the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Mrs Joke Orelope Adefulire and Mr Disun Holloway at both centres expressed satisfaction with the level of output by the trainees.

Governor Fashola told the trainees at the Egan Igando centre after he had asked one of them to assess the level of knowledge already imparted on them since the training started that he is very proud of them.

He added that he had the choice of importing the costume, but opted to give the opportunity to the Centres, adding that with the quality of what has been produced, they have confirmed that Nigerians can do well if given the opportunity.

Among those present at the ceremony were some members of the State Executive Council, party leaders like Alhaji Abiodun Sunmola, Chief Bushura Alebiosu, Group Managing Director of the Lagos State Water Corporation, Engineer Shayo Holloway, traditional rulers and many important dignitaries.

Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by Remii(m): 7:58pm On Jan 22, 2010
babapupa:

Don't you first have to equip him with the same tools and financial resources available to folks in the so called society where expectation is more and watch him perform before judging him? Most of the societies you're talking about are working off ready made platform built by decades of attentive governance and ever increasing financial resources. Fashola is basically starting from scratch with little resources and irresponsible federal system.

Lagos is making good cash, with 20% taxlaw, any worker making above N5m is paying  N1m to Lagos state every year. Imaging a state budgeting half a trillion when the whole country is budgetting four trillions. However, there appears to be less wastage compared to most states and federal governments expenditures.
Re: What Has Fashola Really Done? by ziga: 8:09pm On Jan 22, 2010
So many posts about Lagos.

You only get that kind of attention when things are happening!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cpc Rally Held In Ibadan - 14-03-2011 / Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban / Olufunso Amosun Distributes Food To 3,000 Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.