Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,025 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? (18598 Views)

Poll: How would you rate Governor Fashola's performance so far?

Poor: 14% (28 votes)
Acceptable: 49% (95 votes)
Excellent: 36% (70 votes)
This poll has ended

What Has Gej Really Done For The South East / What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? / What Has Fashola Really Done? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by kemofash20: 8:26am On Jul 17, 2008
Let's be sincere, Fashola has done nothing in Lagos. His priority is misplaced he is planting flowers [yet] the drainages are blocked, the roads are bad.

Take a look at what he is doing at the end of Falomo Bridge - Glover Leaf Park but yet the road beside was flooded yesterday.

Fashola has done nothing to me; he should fix our roads. What do you guys think?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by maxell(f): 9:01am On Jul 17, 2008

lets be sincere fashola has done nothing in lagos his priority is misplaced he is plnting flowers the drainages are blocked the roads are bad take look at what he is doing at the end of falomo bridge glover leaf park but yet the road beside was flooded yesterday. fashola has done nothing to me. he shld fix our roads. what do u guys think

Just because the problem of flooding hasn't been solved doesn't mean he hasn't done anything.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Godalone(m): 9:43am On Jul 17, 2008
I have visited more than 28 states during this new regime,there is no Governor that has done what Fashola has done in Lagos State.Please travel round the country that is when you will know that this guy has done a lot for Lagosians.Forget about falomo,move round Lagos state that is when you will know his level of performance.Fashola is still leading,i am not living in Lagos but i visit Lagos every month i can categorically state that he has done very well.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 9:43am On Jul 17, 2008
Why don't you list some of the ventures that the Fashola administration has undertaken including the whole micro finance issue, the reclaiming of land from the sea to begin construction of the Energy city, the massive rehabilitation of roads and basically the whole city which could be seen as a means of providing a good environment for attracting foreign investors,  etc. If you still think it is nothing after actually knowing what has been done then that is up to your discretion.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by gbolah1(m): 9:49am On Jul 17, 2008
To talk of the best gov in this regim is still the best,

You can not just used what happen in Falomo to judge the man. Look at order areas and more so Victoria Island generally is is a floading area everybody nows that
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by lucabrasi(m): 9:58am On Jul 17, 2008
@poster
as the first couple of comments have said,im sure you realise contrary to your opinions a lot of people dont share your unclear reasoning about fashola,you ignored and jumped over all his achievements and picked out the drainage issue comparing it to a little minute part of what he has done,drainage is something that has been part of lagos from GOD knows when,and its a complicated project so it takes time,fashola is not superman and he has to take his time,there are flooding everywhere in the world and drainage problems,at least i know of some parts in uk
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Pepeye(f): 10:01am On Jul 17, 2008
Godalone:

I have visited more than 28 states during this new regime,there is no Governor that has done what Fashola has done in Lagos State.Please travel round the country that is when you will know that this guy has done a lot for Lagosians.Forget about falomo,move round Lagos state that is when you will know his level of performance.Fashola is still leading,i am not living in Lagos, no wonder, but i visit Lagos every month i can categorically state that he has done very well.

Fashola leading When, where, how That’s news to me…the man is full of destructions
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 10:03am On Jul 17, 2008
@Pepeye, why don't you enlighten us then, what "destrhuctions" is the present governor of Lagos full off? And please can be objective in your response?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Pepeye(f): 11:26am On Jul 17, 2008
@ Sky Blue

This is one governor who is always indifferent and callous to the plights of the citizens, his cardinal objective is to turn Lagos into a mega-city, he believes the process is to break down people’s shops, here n there, see what he did to several Lagosians who are trying to survive, sending down his bulldozers to demolish houses, shops etc.

Again see how he burnt down/shut down an entire market for God’s knows till when- talking about the Yaba Market under the guise of some phantom rebuilding project; whilst destabilizing the vast number of market men and women.

This is again the same governor who tried to shut down private schools under the guise that the private schools were not of standard, once again panicking and destabilizing schools and panicked the private school system. Why can’t he just rebuild the dilapidated Govt. schools.

Fashola is never sensitive to the plights of the people, what is the point of emphasizing so much on the ornamental outlook when people are living under severe abject poverty. Creation of Mega city my foot! Ghetto fabulous. faux Mega city.

Fashola should align his priority properly. I think people first, then beautification second. Let him rebuild the health sector, create jobs, empower the youths, provide affordable housing; strengthen security in Lagos state, etc.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Godalone(m): 11:41am On Jul 17, 2008
That i am not living in Lagos does not mean that i do not know anything about Lagos,i lived in lagos for 12 years,i left Lagos this year January,to tell you that i know what i mean here.If you have travelled round the country which i am sure you have not, you will know that Fahola has done very well.Your assessment is zero and your valuation is wrong.How do you mean that Fashola is full of destruction? He has even performed more than Baba-go-slow.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by tollu: 11:46am On Jul 17, 2008
Lagos is overcrowded and every open space cannot be used as a market place.
Lagos state gives the rural-urban drift the greatest meaning.
If u can't find some other job to do, go back to the village! our agriculture sector is suffering.

I don't support destruction and I see what Fashola is doing as creation. Let the craetion continue.
We need massive change in Lagos state
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 11:50am On Jul 17, 2008
@Pepeye, interesting take on the issues considering you failed to mention why a lot of private schools were closed or markets closed. The hundreds of schools that were closed were closed because they were unlicensed and illegal. It just goes to show the attitude in the country, anyone can just build a house and turn it into a school. What kind off education do you expect to be obtained from such? The markets that were closed, wheren't alternatives provided? In a city were previously from my understanding streets could overnight become markets due to the unruly behaviour of the citizenry and lack of discipline to correct such, you think such should have been allowed to continue? So i am guessing you have no problems with street markets and in thesame breath i am guessing you will now lambast such measures used to curb such activities that add to the traffic problem while also lambasting government for not tackling the traffic problem, right?

Can you not see that the beautification of the city is actually beneficial to the people? Can you not see that it creates a better and conducive environment for businesses to thrive? Or would you rather the under of the bridges that were once haven for agberos and hooligans that are now open and beautified be turned back to what is once was with a return of insecurity to such areas, right? I am not even in lagos and with the littlest of research this information is available, so why not be objective and examine both sides of what you lambast? You are yet to state any action that is actually destructive (to me anyway).
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by jaybee3(m): 11:56am On Jul 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Pepeye, interesting take on the issues considering you failed to mention why a lot of private schools were closed or markets closed. The hundreds of schools that were closed were closed because they were unlicensed and illegal. It just goes to show the attitude in the country, anyone can just build a house and turn it into a school. What kind off education do you expect to be obtained from such? The markets that were closed, wheren't alternatives provided? In a city were previously from my understanding streets could overnight become markets due to the unruly behaviour of the citizenry and lack of discipline to correct such, you think such should have been allowed to continue? So i am guessing you have no problems with street markets and in thesame breath i am guessing you will now lambast such measures used to curb such activities that add to the traffic problem while also lambasting government for not tackling the traffic problem, right?

Can you not see that the beautification of the city is actually beneficial to the people? Can you not see that it creates a better and conducive environment for businesses to thrive? Or would you rather the under of the bridges that were once haven for agberos and hooligans be that are now open and beautified turned back to what is once was with a return of insecurity to sumch areas, right? I am not even in lagos and with research this information kis available to me, so why not be objective and examine both sides of what you lambast? You are yet to provide anything that is actually destructive.
Very good/matured counter argument. If only Nlers can agree to disagree like this without abusing each other.

Policies are meant to be adhered to and springing out markets out of know where can only be dealt with strong hands.
Most Nigerians don't believe in rules and regulations (i know the system allows it) so if you see a man trying to do something right for once then me thinks he should def be applauded.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Gamine(f): 11:58am On Jul 17, 2008
Flower no good?

i be think say flower good oh undecided
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2008
i guess some people just love putu putu and bad roads. Nothing wakes you up in the morning like the smell of fresh mud. My only qualms with this is that people are talking as if all that is been done is beautification which is simply not true. read the news.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by kemofash20: 12:14pm On Jul 17, 2008
now i dont need to travel round the world to know that a gov is performing or not? because in an examination of a 100 marks the highest person scored 20% does not mean he has passed? they are all failures left to me. fashola ought to deal with pressin issues. go to ojota by total filling stationn, several man hrs are wasted there due to bad roads it does not take a genius to fix dat road. y plant flowers beside it. why dress sell when u did not have a bath brush ur teeth? fashola has a misplced priority. we dont have roads in lagos this is a very bad situation nothing should come before that i am telling you. LASG fixed a road in ogba area in oct 07 as i am writing this the road is bad why? i cant go on. see lekki phase one round about. na y o and u people are praisng him.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 12:28pm On Jul 17, 2008
@kemofash so you ignore all the roads that have been built and all the areas that have been rehabilitated and all the financial and commercial mschemes that have been undertaken but focus on a filling station that apparently as you state has flowers but no good road to go on to say that there is a problem with "misplaced priorities"? So is the planting of flowers and building and maintaining of roads now handled by thesame company? In a situation whereby not even all the roads are handled by thesame company, does that even seem like an objective or fair assesment? What are you actually expecting?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by lucabrasi(m): 12:33pm On Jul 17, 2008
yes but it takes a genius to go through the decay that has been there for more than 20 years at least which fashola has been trying to sift through,lagos is a cosmopolitan area and a melting pot of diffrent ethnicities so people from diffrent ethnicities flock to lagos not even everyday but every hour so over crowding is a major reason,and he still gets the same subvention irrespective of these facts, all his megacity projects,the transport thing and others are they situated in his father's house in surulere?

there is a whole lot wrong and it will certainly take much more than 1 year to correct them all, so pls give the man some slack abeg,your president yar adull is there and you are not creating a thread for him asking what he has done i wonder about we nigerians sometimes
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SENATORJD(m): 12:40pm On Jul 17, 2008
lucabrasi:

yes but it takes a genius to go through the decay that has been there for more than 20 years at least which fashola has been trying to sift through
rightly said he is doing a lot of work if u consider what lagos has been like in the past few years

lucabrasi:

there is a whole lot wrong and it will certainly take much more than 1 year to correct them all, so please give the man some slack abeg,your president yar adull is there and you are not creating a thread for him asking what he has done i wonder about we nigerians sometimes
beats me to at times, going after Fashola,
am not against criticisms but pls let them be constructive
what has yarryslowwydua done that is tangible in the last one year?
he chose a minister that am not sure knows what he wants to do. Mr boulevard (we would demolish FMF and NNPC Towers because its in the way of the construction)
plssssss allow Fashola concentrate on his work and if u feel u can do any better 2011 aint far cool grin
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Pepeye(f): 12:49pm On Jul 17, 2008
Well spoken Sky blue but you seem to be missing the point here, when we place city beautification side by side with healthcare, food, housing, job creation and so on there should be a scale of preference; l sincerely think that city beautification is secondary. Now let’s assume Fashola actually succeeds in turning the city into Paris- investors ain’t going to still come down when there is still high crime perpetuated by the displaced people.

Fashola should be advised to embark on wealth creation for Lagosians, and then beautification will easily come on with an empowered person. He ought to first delve into the root of the problem of Lagosians, One thing leads to the other; abject poverty obviously led to the squalor. Fashola should address the root of this problem, Let him stop chasing shadows, he should create value for the system, ensure that people-oriented programs are embarked upon; and then this his much-touted beautification exercise will naturally fall in place.

Of course no one is quarrelling with city beautification exercise, but just as Wole Soyinka posited; “A Tiger does not need to proclaim its Tigeritude!”

So much for his “Eko O ni Baje!” -That is not all, how is Fashola to address the crime rates of the displaced populace, bad roads, education, healthcare delivery.

Prioritization is the issue here. The question is what place does he have for the poor, and vulnerable in his state in the scheme of this beautification exercise. A lot of these people are yet still groaning under the weight this administration. What is Fashola’s blue print for their welfare and well being. Pls l am yet to know of a good leader who made it without putting the people’s welfare and interest first.

Finally Sky Blue it is cronies like you who turn leaders into tyrants. Why get so easily swayed away by the pretentious moves of maverick politicians-
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by folem: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2008
Only AC apologists will boldly say Fashola has done well.

The type of flooding that the entire Lagos State is witnessing now shows that the "Progressive" Governments of the last 9 years have no clue about fixing the flood menace. It is certianly more important to fix roads and drainages than to plant grass and flowers (that will soon overgrow without proper maintenace) all over the state. The sand filling of Atlantic ocean is equally not a priority project since there is land at Epe, Badagry & Ikorodu to mention towns that also need development.

IMO Lagos State needs to be divided into 2 states for sustainable development all around the entire area.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ poster, you looked at fashola's works through a pin hole camera thats why you see nothing.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ poster, you looked at fashola's works through a pin hole camera thats why you see nothing.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 1:05pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Pepeye, LOL, i was wondering when someone would throw an insult. So i am now a crony because i fail to see this evil that Fashola is doing? Job creation? What on earth do you think all the construction is actually doing? Do jobs actually just appear from thing air? The BRT scheme does not only focus on buses but there is also a bus depot which has facilities for maintenance, etc which is capable of employing engineers, mechanics, security, etc as well as drivers obviously for the busus, so all these are not jobs being created? Again, are jobs going to appear from thing air? Is it now the job of government to build commercial structures or the job of private investors? And you think such would have preferred to build in an environment with bad infrastructure whereby their employees cannot even get to work in time because of crippling traffic due to bad infrastructure? What about lagos energy city? Did you even mention that? Do you know the potential such a venture has in job creation? So because roads are the obvious things mbeen addressed and it is visible, does that mean that security and other issues are not being tackled? Do you actually have information for this? Undergo wealth creation and beautificaltion will apear? So people with money will just suddenly feel the urge to go and start planting trees and flowers on the road side? Is beautification actually the only thing that is being tackled in lagos? If it isn't then why suggest that it is? And if this is the case then who is looking more like a supposed crony of sort? @folem, why not actually do some checks before you assume that the issue of drainage is not being addressed?

It is unfortunate that you would be so quick to label me a crony or apologist because i don't see this supposed evil that you see. All i see is work being done and wow, you are right, what a shame, how evil it is that an attempt to install order in the chaos that was lagos has been made. It really is the end of the world. LOL. I am not going to trade insults with you so have a nice day smiley
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by obyann(f): 1:11pm On Jul 17, 2008
beautification is good, but it's not our priority in Lagos State
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by igbsam(m): 1:13pm On Jul 17, 2008
I dont agree with the Poster or Sky Blue that Gov. Fashola has not done anything in this lagos. I consider him to be one of the best governor who took the bull by the horn to make sure he turns Lagos around and save Lagos from the congestion. If we fold our hands seeing Lagos congesting, it will soon become a pile of rubbish, but fashola decided to free Lagos and create more space for us to breathe. I knew people will hate him for what he's doing, but he's doing the right thing. Can you imagine, in Lagos we dont even have open parks for kids to play, everywhere is rubbish and congestion. He'll definitely step on some feets to create a way. So make una no vex. Fashola is doing something and it is glaring. Someone has to force beautification, we can't live like we are suffering and like we dont know what beauty is all about. If you can make your home beautiful, i think you should do the same to lagos state.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Truequest(m): 1:14pm On Jul 17, 2008
Pepeye:

Well spoken Sky blue but you seem to be missing the point here, when we place city beautification side by side with healthcare, food, housing, job creation and so on there should be a scale of preference; l sincerely think that city beautification is secondary. Now let’s assume Fashola actually succeeds in turning the city into Paris- investors ain’t going to still come down when there is still high crime perpetuated by the displaced people.

Fashola should be advised to embark on wealth creation for Lagosians, and then beautification will easily come on with an empowered person. He ought to first delve into the root of the problem of Lagosians, One thing leads to the other; abject poverty obviously led to the squalor. Fashola should address the root of this problem, Let him stop chasing shadows, he should create value for the system, ensure that people-oriented programs are embarked upon; and then this his much-touted beautification exercise will naturally fall in place.

Of course no one is quarrelling with city beautification exercise, but just as Wole Soyinka posited; “A Tiger does not need to proclaim its Tigeritude!”

So much for his “Eko O ni Baje!” -That is not all, how is Fashola to address the crime rates of the displaced populace, bad roads, education, healthcare delivery.

Prioritization is the issue here. The question is what place does he have for the poor, and vulnerable in his state in the scheme of this beautification exercise. A lot of these people are yet still groaning under the weight this administration. What is Fashola’s blue print for their welfare and well being. Please l am yet to know of a good leader who made it without putting the people’s welfare and interest first.

Finally Sky Blue it is cronies like you who turn leaders into tyrants. Why get so easily swayed away by the pretentious moves of maverick politicians-

Pepeye I can not agree less with you, Government all over the world is about people and people alone. His intentions might be right but like you said his priority is misplaced. So much bravado little impact. Bulldozers has taken over from fire that ravaged markets in Lagos, now it is bulldozer all over the place with a claim that those buildings were illegally constructed.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2008
igbsam:

I don't agree with the Poster or Sky Blue that Gov. Fashola has not done anything in this lagos. I consider him to be one of the best governor who took the bull by the horn to make sure he turns Lagos around and save Lagos from the congestion. If we fold our hands seeing Lagos congesting, it will soon become a pile of rubbish, but fashola decided to free Lagos and create more space for us to breathe. I knew people will hate him for what he's doing, but he's doing the right thing. Can you imagine, in Lagos we don't even have open parks for kids to play, everywhere is rubbish and congestion. He'll definitely step on some feets to create a way. So make una no vex. Fashola is doing something and it is glaring. Someone has to force beautification, we can't live like we are suffering and like we don't know what beauty is all about. If you can make your home beautiful, i think you should do the same to lagos state.

@igbsam, please read my posts carefully and don't misrepresent my thoughts. @Truequsts, how do you know the impacts are not being felt?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 17, 2008
any one who doubts fashola's works should visit contemporary states and see whats up there.the only snag is that the floods shouldnt have caught him in the jaw
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by agaba123(m): 1:28pm On Jul 17, 2008
Pepeye:

@ Sky Blue

This is one governor who is always indifferent and callous to the plights of the citizens, his cardinal objective is to turn Lagos into a mega-city, he believes the process is to break down people’s shops, here n there, see what he did to several Lagosians who are trying to survive, sending down his bulldozers to demolish houses, shops etc.

Again see how he burnt down/shut down an entire market for God’s knows till when- talking about the Yaba Market under the guise of some phantom rebuilding project; whilst destabilizing the vast number of market men and women.

This is again the same governor who tried to shut down private schools under the guise that the private schools were not of standard, once again panicking and destabilizing schools and panicked the private school system. Why can’t he just rebuild the dilapidated Govt. schools.

Fashola is never sensitive to the plights of the people, what is the point of emphasizing so much on the ornamental outlook when people are living under severe abject poverty. Creation of Mega city my foot! Ghetto fabulous. faux Mega city.

Fashola should align his priority properly. I think people first, then beautification second. Let him rebuild the health sector, create jobs, empower the youths, provide affordable housing; strengthen security in Lagos state, etc. 

I think the problem you have here is the fact that you may be used to mediocrity. Change can never occur without some distabilisation. It is unfortunate that people find it difficult to accept change, ask OBAMA, lol

Fashiola is the man, he is the man, I wish all other Ghana must go governor can do half of what he has done.

This is a man who had a vision of what he wanted to do and set out doing it.

You said that he does not care about the plight of the common man but I think he has an open access phone where he can be reached and he tries to attend to each complaint as much as he can, he ones had about 230 miscalls with a space of 30 minutes

I think you should rather get your own priorities right, GO FASHIOLA
NB I am not from lagos state
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by agaba123(m): 1:31pm On Jul 17, 2008
olrotimi:

A pin-hole camera can have a wide aperture, I think she did so through the eye of a needle stained with grease
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Pepeye makes some very good points here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Atiku In Secret Meeting With Ibrahim Babangida / Frame-up Allegation: Why Obasanjo Should Not Be Worried – Falana / Doyin Okupe: Atiku To Travel To US By End Of November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.