Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,297 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise (35238 Views)

Are The Igbos Really Jews? See The Colonial Flag And Currency Of Nigeria / Why Do Igbos Hate Buhari? - Mustapha Gembu, Hausa Activist / Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 15, 2017
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Yes sir
Gone through your posts, you're always taking sides with Igbos and beef Yoruba's. Why?
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 6:25pm On Jun 15, 2017
Vessi:

Gone through your posts, you're always taking sides with Igbos and beef Yoruba's. Why?
Ah ah
Most Yoruba posters in the daily Igbo vs Yoruba clashes on NL don't make sense and I only side with common sense,they are also very uncouth and loud mouthed, furthermore I like fairness, Igbo are a majority tribe they ought to be treated as such, and I don't like the way some Yoruba are calling for their massacre despite knowing fully well that another civil war will mean doom and instability to the whole sub region .
Last but not the least Igbos are Bantu Cameroonian im my brother's keeper .
Yoruba are the problem of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:00am On Jun 16, 2017
Sweetguy25:
Nigeria was created in 1914. Were the Igbos occupants of the British territory called Nigeria in 1914? Yes they were.

End of story.
good point.

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:03am On Jun 16, 2017
lepasharon:
hat they branched out of igbo and formed their own thing

So where do the igboid ethnic groups come from? Like efik and annang, I believe they branched out of igbos
i am not sure about efik and annang. i have never met any. but if i see them and study their phenotype I will be able to decisively tell you if they branched out of igbo. now if they happen to geographically be in that igbo region then chances are very high that they branched out of igbo and formed their own thing this happens alot. apparently itsekiri branched out of yoruba
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:06am On Jun 16, 2017
MalcoImX:
Sources were even provided from IPOB website that showed the Cameroonian origins of the Biafrans.
Indeed my brother. the wise will see all the evidence

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:15am On Jun 16, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@sukkot Where in my post was Biafra mentioned? Where did you find that,sir? If the ibos have changed the name of their tribe to biafra then I am afraid I ain't aware of that. The tribe has always been known as ibo from earliest record and I don't think much has changed. The Biafra issue is a new dimension. What the Portuguese named or christened biafra was a region stretching from the Kameruns(or perhaps parts of eastern Nigerian coast in my opinion) to what is today Gabon. With time the water body south of that region(stretching from the eastern region of what is today Nigeria to Gabon) somehow came to be known as the bight of biafra(today bight of Bonny since the end of the civil war). When the time came for Ojukwu to name his country the name of the water body south of the Eastern region came in handy and he called it Biafra. So,as Nigeria got its name from a water body(a river) so did Biafra get its name from another water body(a bay/bight) this time...
i have provided historical text from biafran historians and cameroon historians and european historians that say you are camerroonian bantus who migrated to the region. the name biafra is not an original name that you created. that name has existed long before ojukwu was born. the name has cameroonian origins. point being your love affair with the name biafra is borne out of the fact you think it is an original name created by igbos and your love affair with the biafran agitation is borne out of the ignorance of not knowing you are migrants to hat area. point being there is nothing original or legal about this agitation or the name of the agitation

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:18am On Jun 16, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@sukkot When he called the country Biafra,he was not trying to admit the bogus claims like the ones we have here that the ibos were or are not from somewhere in Cameroun or wherever[b] he merely named it after a geographical feature-in this case,the Bight of Biafra. [/b]A name had to come from somewhere. Infact,I read somewhere where it was stated that the name "Biafra" just tickled his fancy and he picked it.
well its good to know you are enlightened. many igbos seem to think this is an igbo name created by igbos. they love the sound of that name biafra because they think igbos created it lol. they dont know its cameroonian in origin. but good to see that at least you know the name was derived from another place and acknowledging the name is not igbo in origin

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by kingzizzy: 8:20am On Jun 16, 2017
I wonder how anybody can say that Igbo land isnt on the map when Asaba is clearly on the map
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:21am On Jun 16, 2017
mansakhalifa:
@sukkot Even the yorubas will tell you that their ancestors moved into what is now Nigeria from Egypt(or Arabia). The Kibakus(of chibok fame) will tell you they migrated from outside the borders of this country to where they are today. The ancestors of the Kanuris lived East of the lake Chad(present-day Chad) before moving to where they are today. And there are many tales like that as far as the tribes in this country are concerned. So,even if the ibos moved to where they are now from Cameroun,burkina faso or wherever how is that a problem. How the constitution defines who a citizen is is what we,as educate as we are,should be looking at. Not some derelict piece of cartography that goes way back to the 1800s. For that reason I will refer you to section 25. Case closed. Besides trolling ain't a mature thing to do since it merely exposes you. Nothing personal. Got nothing to lose or gain from this baseless topic. Salaam. I'm out.
its never a problem. however this agitation is incumbent on igbos thinking their father created that piece of land they are living on lmao. if theyy realize they are migrants to that area and dont own the land maybe their blood will calm down small lol

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:22am On Jun 16, 2017
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Igbos are Bantu Cameroonian and most Igbos look Cameroonian ..esp southern/central Cameroonian
indeed. very astute observation. its the same people separated by present day borders
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:27am On Jun 16, 2017
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Ah ah
Most Yoruba posters in the daily Igbo vs Yoruba clashes on NL don't make sense and I only side with common sense,they are also very uncouth and loud mouthed, furthermore I like fairness, Igbo are a majority tribe they ought to be treated as such, and I don't like the way some Yoruba are calling for their massacre despite knowing fully well that another civil war will mean doom and instability to the whole sub region .
Last but not the least Igbos are Bantu Cameroonian im my brother's keeper .
Yoruba are the problem of Nigeria
igbos here we have a man from cameroon telling you the real history and saying you are the same people. salute to you CAMNEWTON. are you based in cameroon today ?

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by oladeebo: 6:03pm On Jun 16, 2017
...igbo didn't investigated before embark on biafra project! igbo have no legal backing to agitating for biafra in Nigeria!
It's like black America agitating for Africa country in US soil, or some one agitating for Dahomey, or Upper Volta or God coast in Nigeria, it can't be possible!
Igbo wants Nigeria dead, if Nigeria die they didn't have legal right to share in the heritage! they were immigrant in Nigeria like Negro in America!
Nigeria heritage concern the Empires of Nigeria Benin Empire, Oyo Empire, Bornu Empire etc!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by oladeebo: 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2017
kingzizzy:
I wonder how anybody can say that Igbo land isnt on the map when Asaba is clearly on the map
look:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ApexPredator: 8:31pm On Jun 16, 2017
Lol Morons. Nigeria is a British created entity. Igbos had already settled on this VACANT land before the British arrived West Africa . Hence it is ours. We might be closer genetically to Cameroonians, but that doesn't make SE Nigeria any less of our possession.

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by kingzizzy: 9:04pm On Jun 16, 2017
oladeebo:

look:

Use your head. Why would the ancient Navigators call the Sea by the area "The Bight Of Biafra" if Biafra was thst Inland? They called the Sea After the Kingdom Of Biafra thst used to cover the area now called SE/SS as well the Southern Cameroons. In map below, Biafra in green colour stretches from the Southern Cameroon through the SE/SS and stops at the Bini Empire

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by realjoker(m): 9:39pm On Jun 16, 2017
melodyogonna:
I believe no one is too old to learn.

Nigerian constitution.
Part II
section 8
sub-section 1a, b, c
(a) a request, supported by at least two-thirds majority of members (representing the area demanding the creation of the new State) in each of the following, namely -
(i) the Senate and the House of Representatives,
(ii) the House of Assembly in respect of the area, and
(iii) the local government councils in respect of the area,
is received by the National Assembly;
(b) a proposal for the creation of the State is thereafter approved in a referendum by at least two-thirds majority of the people of the area where the demand for creation of the State originated;
(c) the result of the referendum is then approved by a simple majority of all the States of the Federation supported by a simple majority of members of the Houses of Assembly;

I don't know how to read constitutions, check for ur self http://nigeriaworld.com/focus/constitution/chapter1.html
seems like comprehension is your major problem.
This is for state creation and not for secession.

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by oladeebo: 10:19pm On Jun 16, 2017
kingzizzy:

Use your head. Why would the ancient Navigators call the Sea by the area "The Bight Of Biafra" if Biafra was thst Inland? They called the Sea After the Kingdom Of Biafra thst used to cover the area now called SE/SS as well the Southern Cameroons. In map below, Biafra in green colour stretches from the Southern Cameroon through the SE/SS and stops at the Bini Empire
I don't love those who refuse to understand in debate!
I want you to proof me wrong and people were here to judge!
ok be patient!
There is Biafra dead country, created by the Portuguese, and that is only biafra state exit world wide before it died, no biafra elsewhere!
and it's territory covered the Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial guinea!
So am argue with you why dead biafra resuscitated in Nigeria territory?
why anybody can't come to Nigeria and agitating for Dahomey?

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by oladeebo: 10:43pm On Jun 16, 2017
ApexPredator:
Lol Morons. Nigeria is a British created entity. Igbos had already settled on this VACANT land before the British arrived West Africa . Hence it is ours. We might be closer genetically to Cameroonians, but that doesn't make SE Nigeria any less of our possession.
I totally disagree with you!
before the arrival of British, there was Portuguese explorer or to say slave traders, who patronage the bight of Benin, the bight of biafra! those bight isname by them, Portuguese is the owner of biafra name, when the slave trade boom they crated a country name it biafra! and that's where the bight of biafra come from and this have nothing to do with biafra created by ojukwu!
so if biafra is right reserved ojukwu will not use the name or he be forced to pay for it!
So igbo migrated from the area into Nigeria! As the immigrant didn't have the right for self determination, igbo lack legal right to agitate for the land in Nigeria for secession, they can go to Cameroon , Gabon or Equatorial guinea where they have right!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by kingzizzy: 11:17pm On Jun 16, 2017
oladeebo:

I don't love those who refuse to understand in debate!
I want you to proof me wrong and people were here to judge!
ok be patient!
There is Biafra dead country, created by the Portuguese, and that is only biafra state exit world wide before it died, no biafra elsewhere!
and it's territory covered the Cameroon, Gabon and Equatorial guinea!
So am argue with you why dead biafra resuscitated in Nigeria territory?
why anybody can't come to Nigeria and agitating for Dahomey?

You dont have to worry about that. What you have to think about is that you would not be a Nigerian today if it wasnt for Britain. They created what you today call your country and they named you 'Nigerian'

If that same country that created you could allow one its areas, Nothern Ireland, a referendum to go or stay in 1973

If they could allow another of its areas, Scotland, a referendum in 2014 to go or stay

Then why cant you understand Nigeria giving any area, the right of referendum to go or stay?

You think Nigeria that is just 103 years old is more united and smarter than UK that is over 300 years old and a super power? So what is your arguement about?

"Britain made us Nigerians and we must all die together as Nigerians"?

This is the mentality of an African who lives inside a cave
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Stinson007(m): 3:41am On Jun 17, 2017
sukkot:
this is the bottomline, a group of people called the bantus in ancient times setlled in the cameroon region. with time they travelled to the south east of nigeria. they couldnt go further west because there were established empires like the benin and yoruba. so the point is, the reason why igbo has no long history in nigeria, which all historians allude to, is because you are the last mass migration into nigeria from cameroon. point being if today you are the 3rd largest tribe in the country there should be documented history of your existence in nigeria but there is none, which alludes to what that map is alluding to by not having igbo on the map. when exactly did you all come in mass ? i dont know exact dates but i will suspect its within the last 400 years. you people migrate very quickly. its like how in lagos in the sixties you will hardly see an igbo man. but in 2017 there are like 4 million or more igbos in lagos. so in just 40 years 4 million igbos appeared all of a sudden in lagos. so within the past 300 years i can see how 50 million igbos just appeared in that region from nowhere. now if that ancient map was drawn today they would include igbo because you are 40 million or so. but when that ancient map was drawn you were so few that it didnt matter to include you. maybe it was like 10,000 of you. then the mass migration of the rest happened within the past 300 years. thats the point
You lie my friend, Igbo didn't migrate from Cameroon, kamerun a place in Adamawa is still called Kamerun Kamerun and the yola south people believe their forefathers migrated from cameroon. Igbos migrated from Isreal, jews and Igbo has undeniably similar features
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ApexPredator: 7:44am On Jun 17, 2017
oladeebo:

I totally disagree with you!
before the arrival of British, there was Portuguese explorer or to say slave traders, who patronage the bight of Benin, the bight of biafra! those bight isname by them, Portuguese is the owner of biafra name, when the slave trade boom they crated a country name it biafra! and that's where the bight of biafra come from and this have nothing to do with biafra created by ojukwu!
so if biafra is right reserved ojukwu will not use the name or he be forced to pay for it!
So igbo migrated from the area into Nigeria! As the immigrant didn't have the right for self determination, igbo lack legal right to agitate for the land in Nigeria for secession, they can go to Cameroon , Gabon or Equatorial guinea where they have right!

I really detest debating with extremely stupid people, but i'll bear it for now. Igbos settled in a vacant land in what is now SE Nigeria before any European colonist landed on Africa. Nigeria is not a country in the same sense as Japan, Russia, England etc The British just gathered people of various ethnic groups together and called them Nigerians centuries after Igbos had settled here.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Litmus: 11:53am On Jun 17, 2017
The enormous population of the Igbos in the area that they occupy now in Nigeria suggests that they originate in this area of Nigeria. Migration often proceeds overpoulation especially in the timescales relevant to this discussion. The reason for Africa being proposed as the origin for mankind is predicated not just on the age of skeletal finds but the large variance in genetic population. It is likely, therefore, any Igbo-like presence in the region now Cameroon, is the result of some Igbos migrating to Cameroon from Nigeria and not the reverse. By all accounts Cameroon is a fertile place, therefore it is unlikely that the size of the Igbos in present Nigeria is the result of more favourable conditions.

Igbos are Nigerian or the people of the area where they are now, perhaps they had a different name then.

Another area to investigate is language. What language do those people in Cameroon said to resemble Igbos speak.

...incidentally, old research suggests that Bantus spread from present day Nigeria location all the way to South Africa. Perhaps this suggests why some ethnic groups in South Africa have names that sound remarkably Igbo (just me).

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by golddust6000(m): 1:19pm On Jun 17, 2017
The op is an illitrate.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
- Horn Africans are predominantly Cushite.
- East(other than Horners), West and Southern Africans are predominantly Bantu.
- North Africans are predominantly Arab/Berber mix.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by millhouse: 3:32pm On Jun 17, 2017
sukkot:
that bullcrap. you dont need to conquer a people before identifying them on a map. it doesnt work like that. you simply send a representative to ask what the name of the tribe is and then include it on the map. i dont know where you come up with this erroneous idea that you have to conquer someone before putting them on a map
Kai what has happened to sukkot?? Of course u have to conquer a territory before including them in a map.. How do u want to include them just like that...hia! Na WA o
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 3:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
millhouse:
Kai what has happened to sukkot?? Of course u have to conquer a territory before including them in a map.. How do u want to include them just like that...hia! Na WA o
lol is this nigerian logic ? please dont repeat this thing outside of nairaland so people will not laugh at you. ethiopia is a country that has never ever been conquered but it is on the map. how did that happen ?

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 3:57pm On Jun 17, 2017
golddust6000:
The op is an illitrate.
you mean illiterate ?

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by deomelo: 4:07pm On Jun 17, 2017
sukkot:
you mean illiterate ?

Gbosaa grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ossiamatown: 6:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
Sukkot I know you want the Igbos to know their origin and maybe by so doing they might calm down. The truth of the matter is you just added salt and pepper to the whole thing. You might as well trigger an online war. You are a Yoruba man and history like this coming from you mean just one thing, hate.

The country has a whole is not helping matter. We are not fair to ourselves. It looks like we are forcing ourselves to live together. You Sukkot has some unconscious hatred for the Igbos from your comment so far.

I want you to understand one thing. This people will not stop until they got what they want. They are not speaking one voice yet and the whole country is going gaga. Your post will only unite them the more so be very careful. The North did a major damage with their utterances and you a Yoruba man is about to do another damage.

Sukkot don't add to the hate that is already brewing. I expect you to channel your post and thread to peaceful coexistence but I'm so surprised it's full of hate for your fellow brother who is fight for what he believes.

I believe in one Nigeria. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
ossiamatown:
Sukkot I know you want the Igbos to know their origin and maybe by so doing they might calm down. The truth of the matter is you just added salt and pepper to the whole thing. You might as well trigger an online war. You are a Yoruba man and history like this coming from you mean just one thing, hate.

The country has a whole is not helping matter. We are not fair to ourselves. It looks like we are forcing ourselves to live together. You Sukkot has some unconscious hatred for the Igbos from your comment so far.

I want you to understand one thing. This people will not stop until they got what they want. They are not speaking one voice yet and the whole country is going gaga. Your post will only unite them the more so be very careful. The North did a major damage with their utterances and you a Yoruba man is about to do another damage.

Sukkot don't add to the hate that is already brewing. I expect you to channel your post and thread to peaceful coexistence but I'm so surprised it's full of hate for your fellow brother who is fight for what he believes.

I believe in one Nigeria. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
thats a very strange perception. i think you are the tribalist one. everywhere i have been people are living in unity with each other. so for you to think we are forcing ourselves to live together i think you have so much hate in you bro, you have to discharge this hate and live at peace with all your fellow nigerians of all tribes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by melodyogonna(m): 7:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
realjoker:
seems like comprehension is your major problem.
This is for state creation and not for secession.
Lol, what is a state referred to when you where studying government in your secondary school??

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

General Olukolade And Oby Ezekwesili Vent Anger On Each Other Over BIU Crisis / Police Officer Who Destroyed A DELSU Student's N250k Phone Has Been Arrested / Nigerian Troops Arrest Terrorists Disguised As Women In Baga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.