Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,608 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? (8719 Views)

Court Declares Prince Ned Nwoko Winner Of The Delta North PDP Primary Election / Rumble In The Delta? I Didn’t Nominate Peter Obi, Says Wike / Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Rossikki: 10:40pm On Jul 12, 2017
I keep hearing Biafra proponents of Igbo extraction claiming to be ''specially related'' to the Niger Delta people.

I then began to conduct research into the alleged genetic or filial 'brotherhood' between both regions.

So far, I've been unable to come up with any special features that make Igbos 'closer' to Efiks, Ogonis, and Ijaws, than to say, Binis or Yorubas. In fact, during the course of my research, I found numerous examples of linguistic similarities between Igbo and Yoruba, over and above any other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Igbos marry far more Yorubas than they marry south-southerners.

So please, on what basis do Igbos claim to be ''special brothers'' with the south-south?

To the point that they are almost forcing them to join their new country?

Insisting that they must join.

It's a real mystery to me, this love and comradeship Igbos have for the south-southerners, to the exclusion of every other ethnic group in the country.

A real case of Love Nwantiti.

Please, can somebody explain the mystery to me?

8 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by rusher14: 10:59pm On Jul 12, 2017
Oil and seaport.

23 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Ever8054: 10:59pm On Jul 12, 2017
the Igbo's forced relationship with south south is born out of crude oil....if the crude oil dries in south south, and crude oil is found in Maiduguri, the Igbo's will claim they and northerners are one...and again you will agree with me that Igbo's has this dominant and oppress,and that is not happening with the hausa / Yoruba not giving them such space,so they are looking for a country were they will be majority to dominate and oppress,.. there Yoruba speaking people in Benin republic, but the Yorubas are not forcing them to form a country with them..there also Hausa speaking people in Ghana but I have not seen or read where the housas claiming "one blood with".. honestly those people wahala tire me...

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by ajapz(m): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2017
E-fighting loading........... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by coptic: 11:09pm On Jul 12, 2017
rusher14:
Oil and seaport.

grin

11 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by attackgat: 11:14pm On Jul 12, 2017
We should all remember that South South, South East and Niger Delta are just mere geographical expressions. In actual fact, they do not represent anyone.

What represents people are their ethnic names.

Now definitely, when two ethnic groups share borders fir hundreds of years, there is no way both would not have interacted in all that time.

A Yoruba or Hausa man cannot claim to know Efik, Ibibio, Ogoja, legbo,Isoko, Ananng more than Igbos. Igbos have land borders with all of them.

If Igbos decide that they want to leave the Nigerian union and begin a new country, it is only fair that Igbos inform its neigbours of what is coming and there is no harm in suggesting that they all move out together especially since but Igbos and the minority ethnic groups have the common complaint that they are marginalised in Nigeria

If there is any ethinc group that feels more comfortable in Nigeria, they should voice their opinion but it should be mainly the will of the people, not a few priviledged.

Igbos do not take people by force, it is not in their culture. Even Ojukwu asked for a mandate before declaring the Eastern Region as Biafra.

Since the end of the war, it has been the minorities themselves who have taken up arms against Nigeria more than Igbos. This shows they are not happy with Nigeria.

Hopefully, a referendum will finally settle everything once and for all.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 11:20pm On Jul 12, 2017
Rossikki:
I keep hearing Biafra proponents of Igbo extraction claiming to be ''specially related'' to the Niger Delta people.

I then began to conduct research into the alleged genetic or filial 'brotherhood' between both regions.

So far, I've been unable to come up with any special features that make Igbos 'closer' to Efiks, Ogonis, and Ijaws, than to say, Binis or Yorubas. In fact, during the course of my research, I found numerous examples of linguistic similarities between Igbo and Yoruba, over and above any other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Igbos marry far more Yorubas than they marry south-southerners.

So please, on what basis do Igbos claim to be ''special brothers'' with the south-south?

It's a real mystery to me, this love and comradeship Igbos have for the south-southerners, to the exclusion of every other ethnic group in the country.

South South is not an ethnic group. The group you listed is far from been related to Igbos in any way, and Igbos have never claimed them, except you are trying to be mischievous. These are the few groups that are related to the Igbos, Ikwerre, Etche, Anioma, Asa/Ndoki etc. Google is your friend cool. However, Igbos are not after any oil, as some part of S'East are endowed with oil already. Besides, oil is soon going to run out of value... Igbos are only interested in their Igboid brothers down S'South should the country split.

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by baddooboys: 11:21pm On Jul 12, 2017
attackgat:
We should all remember that South South, South East and Niger Delta are just mere geographical expressions. In actual fact, they do not represent anyone.

Now definitely, when two ethnic groups share borders fir hundreds of years, there is no way both would not have interacted in all that time.

A Yoruba or Hausa man cannot claim to know Efik, Ibibio, Ogoja, legbo,Isoko, Ananng more than Igbos. Igbos have land borders with all of them.

If Igbos decide that they want to leave the Nigerian union and begin a new country, it is only fair that Igbos inform its neigbours of what is coming and there is no harm in suggesting that they all move out together especially since but Igbos and the minority ethnic groups have the common complaint that they are marginalised in Nigeria

If there is any ethinc group that feels more comfortable in Nigeria, they should voice their opinion but it should be mainly the will of the people, not a few priviledged.

Igbos do not take people by force, it is not in their culture. Even Ojukwu asked for a mandate before declaring the Eastern Region as Biafra.

Since the end of the war, it has been the minorities themselves who have taken up arms against Nigeria more than Igbos. This shows they are not happy with Nigeria.

Ask them if they have heard of any Igbo state dragging land with SS before...

in a normal sense, why will two state be sharing a community...

Just imagine..

Egbema is in Rivers and Imo state.

Ndoki is in ABIA and Rivers state...

And all these are oil producing communities...

If it were to be Afonja or aboki....they would have been dragging the community..

Igbo's are business minded, they do not have time for oil or what so ever

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 11:29pm On Jul 12, 2017
Ever8054:
the Igbo's forced relationship with south south is born out of crude oil....if the crude oil dries in south south, and crude oil is found in Maiduguri, the Igbo's will claim they and northerners are one...and again you will agree with me that Igbo's has this dominant and oppress,and that is not happening with the hausa / Yoruba not giving them such space,so they are looking for a country were they will be majority to dominate and oppress,.. there Yoruba speaking people in Benin republic, but the Yorubas are not forcing them to form a country with them..there also Hausa speaking people in Ghana but I have not seen or read where the housas claiming "one blood with".. honestly those people wahala tire me...
See how daft you sound. how many of those crude oil is owned by Igbos? How many of those oil wells is controlled by Igbos? why are you guys this wicked to be spewing lies against people who don't even give a fuvk on the existence of oil that lies in abundance in their land. Our hope and aspiration is far beyond crude oil oga. We are looking forward to competing with nations like the Germans, the Japanese.... Na one head them get. They work with their brains... zero dependency on any natural resources.... you can't beat their first class economy. With the all the oil Nigerians get, what have they achieved with it? Nigerians and oil, like five and six. Mtcheew. angry

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by amjoseph19: 11:34pm On Jul 12, 2017
You claimed you have made a research to connect the dot between Igbos and the South South and you couldn't find any.

People like you sickens me. Someone who made a "Research" about a topic doesn't even know the definition of what he is looking for.

South South is a geopolitical zone while Igbo is a tribe on it's own. For the fact that you don't know this after your "research" speaks alot about you and what you stand for. You could have used "South South and Southeast" but your dumb head wouldn't tell you that.

To also show your level of propaganda, you went ahead and brought out hypothesis without any factual backing that " Igbos marries Yorubas more than those from South South ". You went ahead and use it as fact after your so called research.

I'm not going to bring history nor do a real research. I'm just going to tell you from my own personal encounter. I'm from arochukwu in abia state our neighbours are Aro ikoto epkena in cross river. We share the same land, similar culture, We inter married. There's a school called Ihechiowa High school. that school for both those in arochukwu community and aro ikoto ekpena till few yrs back. we have historical connection together which I'm not going to go into like I said earlier.

My roommate back then in 100 Level is an ikwere boy. He bears an Igbo name. we discuss most times in Igbo. He claims to be an Igbo boy in South South. But yoy are there in oshogbo claiming you have carried out a research.

You did your research and include people of agwasikwu, anioma, as in Asaba the state capital of Delta state and you really found no connection.

It's for a know fact that Igbos are known to be self sufficient. We have been doing far better than most regions with the little FG help we receive. Niger Deltans Oil is not of any interest to us. But, we are surely not going to leave our brothers behind unless if referendum says otherwise.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Ever8054: 11:36pm On Jul 12, 2017
cumbak60:

See how daft you sound. how many of those crude oil is owned by Igbos? How many of those oil wells is controlled by Igbos? why are you guys this wicked to be spewing lies against people who don't even give a fuvk on the existence of oil that lies in abundance in their land. Our hope and aspiration is far beyond crude oil oga. We are looking forward to competing with nations like the Germans, the Japanese.... Na one head them get. They work with their brains... zero dependency on any natural resources.... you can't beat their first class economy. With the all the oil Nigerians get, what have they achieved with it? Nigerians and oil, like five and six. Mtcheew. angry
why do u people hate it when someone tells you the truth about your struggle?..

7 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 11:42pm On Jul 12, 2017
hatchy:
Igbos are a greedy and domineering set of people.They are too crafty and cunning and lacks every sense of sincerity even among themselves.
His love for material things always pitch them against their host and this breeds bad blood at the long run.

They are aligning themselves just because of what they stand to gain in the Niger Delta which is oil.
Already they have started claiming port Harcourt and forcing the Ikwerre aborigines that migrated from Benin Kingdom to be part of their Biafra,all because of oil and sea port.

Igbos should know that the Niger Delta can never join them because of that domineering trait in them.
Yes Igbos are domineering according to your kindergarten brain. They are so domineering that they ruled this country for more than 35 years... Kudos to their military. They are everything that is wrong with Nigeria. From political subversion to no contribution to the national economic grid. We can even sight their terrorist group that roams about, in the guise of herdsmen, raping women and killing innocent farmers. Igbos are the problem of Nigeria. They will come to your land, set up businesses and thus encourage cash flow in your area. They end up buying land and erecting structures that gives your area a modern look. They are very bad people, because even their economic activities affects the local negatively, because most locals become middlemen, suppliers and contractors, thus gaining employment on the process. Igbos are bad, I swear.
As for Ikwerre, even Akalaka, and Ochichi, an obvious Igbo names, their forebear, were forced by Igbos to bear Igbo name. This Igbo people ehn, nawa for them shocked They are super humans.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 11:44pm On Jul 12, 2017
Ever8054:
why do u people hate it when someone tells you the truth about your struggle?..
We have been hearing the truth for ages. Nigeria is a testament to the truth. You are a happy Nigerian gainfully employed, and enjoying 24 hours power supply with Igbos as your problem. Kwontinue. sad

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Nwadiuto247: 11:45pm On Jul 12, 2017
Rossikki:

As an Igbo man I only see the Igbos in Rivers and Delta states who agrees that they are Igbos as my brothers. Others are just neighbors. Moreover we don't share same culture and language with these neighbours. Its only Igbos that are desperate that forcefully include these other people as Igbos and its so annoying. An Itshekiri man or Urhobo or Ogoni or Akwaibom etc man cannot be referred to as my brother.

Except they are brothers to IPOB but not to the Igbos. IPOB is not a tribe, its an association which one can either choose to identify with or not. I am not their member and I don't care to be anyway. Infact, I and my entire family are not IPOB members.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Kagawa10: 11:47pm On Jul 12, 2017
Love nwatiti indeed! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by pazienza(m): 12:00am On Jul 13, 2017
Lol! And to think that this OP once claimed to be Igbo grin

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Nwadiuto247: 12:01am On Jul 13, 2017
baddooboys:

Ask them if they have heard of any Igbo state dragging land with SS before...

in a normal sense, why will two state be sharing a community...

Just imagine..

Egbema is in Rivers and Imo state.

Ndoki is in ABIA and Rivers state...

And all these are oil producing communities...

If it were to be Afonja or aboki....they would have been dragging the community..

Igbo's are business minded, they do not have time for oil or what so ever

All these are just evidence of the dirty game that northerners played in other to reduce the oil communities in the south east yet we are not bothered. An average Igbo man prefers to boast in what he can do or his achievements, not with natural resources. That's why we have this saying in Igbo land- O bu gi na azum nri (are you the one feeding me)? We take pride in feeding ourselves than being fed. In being taught how to fish than being given fish.

The so called Niger delta keeps boasting of oil while Abuja and Lagos and even some northern states are boasting of what their areas have become through the oil money of Niger Delta. Sometimes I wonder how some of them in the south south reason. Honestly.
It will make more sense if the so called Niger Delta begins to boast in what they have achieved with the oil they have. For now nothing. Abuja and Lagos have more to boast about Niger delta oil than Niger delta states.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Nwadiuto247: 12:16am On Jul 13, 2017
cumbak60:

Yes Igbos are domineering according to your kindergarten brain. They are so domineering that they ruled this country for more than 35 years... Kudos to their military. They are everything that is wrong with Nigeria. From political subversion to no contribution to the national economic grid. We can even sight their terrorist group that roams about, in the guise of herdsmen, raping women and killing innocent farmers. Igbos are the problem of Nigeria. They will come to your land, set up businesses and thus encourage cash flow in your area. They end up buying land and erecting structures that gives your area a modern look. They are very bad people, because even their economic activities affects the local negatively, because most locals become middlemen, suppliers and contractors, thus gaining employment on the process. Igbos are bad, I swear.
As for Ikwerre, even Akalaka, and Ochichi, an obvious Igbo names, their forebear, were forced by Igbos to bear Igbo name. This Igbo people ehn, nawa for them shocked They are super humans.

Thank you my brother. Also tell him that -
Igbos killed Dele Giwa.
Igbos killed Saro Wiwa.
Igbos killed Gani Fawehmi
Igbos killed Fela
Igbos killed Abiola
Igbos killed Kudirat Abiola
Igbos Killed Bola Ige

Shameless liars on nairaland. Don't mind them.

45 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 12:21am On Jul 13, 2017
Nwadiuto247:

Thank you my brother. Also tell him that -
Igbos killed Dele Giwa.
Igbos killed Saro Wiwa.
Igbos killed Gani Fawehmi
Igbos killed Fela
Igbos killed Abiola
Igbos killed Kudirat Abiola
Igbos Killed Bola Ige

Shameless liars on nairaland. Don't mind them.
You even forgot to add that Igbos are the ones milking the Niger Deltans their oil. Igbos are behind the environmental pollution ongoing in the Niger Delta, e.g. Ogoni land, that will take more than 3 decades to clean up. According to their hateful stomach, Igbos are the problem with Nigeria. This people will leave their tormentors and be using Igbos as soft target. If not for IPOB..... who for give this people mouth were we dey? angry

39 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Nwadiuto247: 12:35am On Jul 13, 2017
cumbak60:

You even forgot to add that Igbos are the ones milking the Niger Deltans their oil. Igbos are behind the environmental pollution ongoing in the Niger Delta, e.g. Ogoni land, that will take more than 3 decades to clean up. According to their hateful stomach, Igbos are the problem with Nigeria. This people will leave their tormentors and be using Igbos as soft target. If not for IPOB..... who for give this people mouth were we dey? angry

Infact Igbos are the reason why Ogoni people are killing themselves like chicken everyday.
Igbos are the reason why Omoku people are beheading themselves everyday.
Igbos are the reason why cultists are beheading themselves almost everyday now in some communities in Rivers state.
Igbos are the reason why Amechi and Wike are fighting themselves dirty everyday. (two Ikwerre brothers)
Igbos are the reason why APC and PDP in Rivers state have refused to move on two years after the election. They keep fighting each other endlessly even when other states have moved on.

If Igbos are interested in oil as these mischievous people are saying it -why will Igbos buy 70 percent of landed properties in northern states to build houses and offices? Do those northern states have oil?? I really pity these agents of hate because they are the ones losing while we keep moving ahead. Igbos have houses and businesses in some parts of yorubaland that do not have oil yet people here shamelessly want to propagate lies that we are after oil. Which oil? What a shame to those liars.

27 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 12:41am On Jul 13, 2017
Nwadiuto247:

Infact Igbos are the reason why Ogoni people are killing themselves like chicken everyday.
Igbos are the reason why Omoku people are beheading themselves everyday.
Igbos are the reason why cultists are beheading themselves almost everyday now in some communities in Rivers state.
Igbos are the reason why Amechi and Wike are fighting themselves dirty everyday. (two Ikwerre brothers)
Igbos are the reason why APC and PDP in Rivers state have refused to move on two years after the election. They keep fighting each other endlessly even when other states have moved on.

If Igbos are interested in oil as these mischievous people are saying it -why will Igbos buy 70 percent of landed properties in northern states to build houses and offices? Do those northern states have oil?? I really pity these agents of hate because they are the ones losing while we keep moving ahead. Igbos have houses and businesses in some parts of yorubaland that do not have oil yet people here shamelessly want to propagate lies that we are after oil. Which oil? What a shame to those liars.
The best option is to keep debunking their lies... I wish the different organizations fighting for Biafran restoration will carefully exclude non Igbo speakers in the agenda. Then work constructively with all Igbo groups, so we can leave the country for them to enjoy. I'm sure, once Igbos are no more for them to pour their cowardice hate on, they will definitely turn on each other... Indi'ara.

30 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Flashh: 12:50am On Jul 13, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Amarabae(f): 1:19am On Jul 13, 2017
What a question. Mr man, south south is multiethnical, many ethnic groups are in it.
I am an Asa indigene in present day Oyigbo lga of Rivers state and yes we are Igbos.
Why is the truth a taboo in Nigeria?

42 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Dedetwo(m): 1:27am On Jul 13, 2017
Ever8054:

This is arrant nonsense!!! Most Nigerians will readily show intellectual laziness induced by chance of nature, crude oil. I wish Nigerian crude oil amounts to nothing.

7 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Markfemi2: 1:41am On Jul 13, 2017
Igbo will do anything for niger delta to join then
Even if delta citizens shit on their face
Slap then 1m times
Because they need sea and oil they will come back
They are your dogs niger delta
Use them anyhow

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Markfemi2: 1:42am On Jul 13, 2017
attackgat:

Old eastern region is a British creation and expired 2014

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 1:49am On Jul 13, 2017
Markfemi2:
Igbo will do anything for niger delta to join then
Even if delta citizens shit on their face
Slap then 1m times
Because they need sea and oil they will come back
They are your dogs niger delta
Use them anyhow
Treachery is encoded in your dna, so its not new. You and likes, I mean your tribe, don't fail to disappoint. Treachery is cultural where you're coming from.

18 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by cumbak60: 1:50am On Jul 13, 2017
Markfemi2:

South Western region is a British creation and expired 2014. They will soon be joined to their overload, the Hausa/Fulani.

24 Likes

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Dedetwo(m): 1:56am On Jul 13, 2017
Markfemi2:

Yet you go about defending Niger-Area. The insincerity found among Nigerians is jungle class.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Markfemi2: 2:03am On Jul 13, 2017
Dedetwo:

Yet you go about defending Niger-Area. The insincerity found among Nigerians is jungle class.

Yoruba have oyo ife ekiti empire

Kanu ri have kanuri empire
Fulani same thing
We know jaja of opobo
We don't know any history Igbo kingdom
All we know is Onitsha is Benin land founded to trade igbos as slaves

So eastern region like today's northern region and should Nigeria split everyone will decide what to do

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? by Markfemi2: 2:05am On Jul 13, 2017
cumbak60:

South Western region is a British creation and expired 2014. They will soon be joined to their overload, the Hausa/Fulani.

Yes SW is a British creation
The real Yoruba land is SW+Yoruba Kwara kogi and edo
Yorubas are not begging delta and edo to join them chai

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Power Sabotage: Jonathan Sacks PHCN Boss, Others / S’south Not Part Of Biafra, Kokori Tells MASSOB / Good Things That Have Happened Before In Nigeria - Olawepo Hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.