Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,713 members, 7,813,353 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain (16809 Views)

2023: Why The North Wants Amaechi To Replace Buhari / Ex-military Officers Are Coming Together To Deal With Buhari – ACF chieftain / Why I Can’t Go And Greet Buhari, Even If Invited —fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by sarrki(m): 2:18am On Jun 14, 2017
2019: North wants Buhari, even on wheelchair –ACF chieftain

Mohammed Alhaji Yakubu is a member of the National Executive Committee of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), a socio-cultural and pressure group for northern Nigeria. He was also the youth leader of the defunct Northern Union (NU) which was headed by late Olusola Saraki, the political godfather of Kwara state politics.

In this exclusive interview, the ACF Chieftain said he believes the North would gladly support President Muhammadu Buhari, come 2019, even if he was running the country from a wheelchair.

President Muhammadu Buhari has gone back to London on health grounds. But some Nigerians are saying that his ill health has a political setback for the country, do you also think in that direction?

I must first of all thank Nigerians for their support and prayer for President Muhammadu Buhari, their support and prayer have been unprecedented in the history of Nigeria. There is no Nigerian leader that has received this type of support and prayer in our recent history. I must first of all thank them. The President’s health challenge is something that can happen to anybody. We had President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, this type of health condition happened to him. So in the case of Buhari, he had transmitted power to his deputy, as constitution demanded, and I think there is nothing to fear. If he had not transmitted power to his deputy or his case was like that of Yar’Adua, I would have been more worried. And so far the Acting President is capable; he has shown some level of vibrancy, there is no cause for alarm. God forbid bad thing, supposing the President dies today, there is nothing anybody can do. God has appointed a time for every human being to be born and to die. For now we will continue to pray for our President and wish him quick return to the country. And I will continue to appreciate Nigerians who are praying and supporting the President.

Do you agree with some Nigerians who are saying that Buhari should resign from office because of his ill health?

I will not advise him to resign. You will recall that when former President Olusegun Obasanjo was asking the then ailing President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua to resign, I granted an interview to your newspaper, as the youth leader of Northern Union, telling Nigerians that even on wheelchair, we will support Yar’Adua to rule the country. Unfortunately he died. I am also making the same statement today that Buhari should not resign, even if he is on wheelchair, North and people of Nigeria will vote him in 2019. I am not just associating myself with Buhari, I am advocating for good governance under President Buhari.

I don’t think that it is proper for anybody to humiliate Buhari out of office by mounting pressure on him to resign. It is not fair; it is not just, it is not proper. We have election time table, if you don’t like him, vote him out during the election, but I will not support anybody that will want to humiliate the President out of office. As long as he is alive, it is not right to demand of him to resign.

Don’t you think that many Nigerians will oppose you that you never meant well for the country for saying this?

Yes, I can give example from America where we copied our democracy from; if you remember, one of the early American Presidents, Franklin D. Roosevelt served his country for 12 years. As a young man, Roosevelt became crippled by polio. He could not stand, and he spent most of his life on a wheelchair. When many people thought that the illness would end his political career, Roosevelt became American President for the first time in 1933.

Roosevelt pioneered a lot of developments for America, his government spent lots of money to create new job, built roads, bridges, new schools and did other important things to help the population. Americans saw that Roosevelt could do a lot for his country and they elected him for a second time in 1936 on wheelchair.

So we should do away with the mentality that when the President’s health challenge is physical, he cannot perform his official duty, no, President Buhari can still function in office even on wheelchair as long as his illness has nothing to do with his brain and reasoning faculty.

Some Ministers were quoted to have said that they could not reach out to Buhari because of power play by a group of cabal in the presidency. What is your take on this?

They who are complaining, how many Nigerians did they allow to reach them? I have a serious complain about Buhari’s cabinet; 95 percent of these ministers are incompetent, and they are not fit for the job, you can’t reach out to them, and where you reach out to them, they see you as someone coming to seek for contract or favour from them. You can’t reach them when you want to even give useful advice or analysis of the situation things in the country. So why should they complain that they can’t reach the President? The Chief of Staff is there, the Secretary to the government is there, is it on everything that they must reach the President? Their appointment as minister is not hereditary; they think they are going to be there forever? Most of us are stakeholders; we don’t need to see the President frequently or on daily basis. We are supposed to interact with the ministers, but we can’t reach them. So they have no basis to complain that they can’t reach the President.

Away from Buhari’s health, recently former President Goodluck Jonathan said that western world were responsible for his defeat at the 2015 polls. Do you agree with him?

I disagree with him because that was a blanket pronouncement; this was not true, few Northerners that surrounded him told him the truth that he should obey the PDP power shift arrangement, but he would not listen. So he was the architect of his own problem. He should not blame any western world. Politics is a game of number and honour, when majority are no longer with you, the tendency is that you are bound to fail or fall, so I totally disagree with Jonathan over this blanket statement, blaming the western world.

Former Senate President, David Mark was reported to have said the other day that he warned Jonathan against northern betrayal…

(Cuts in)…No, I don’t think that David Mark was saying that North betrayed Jonathan. What he was saying was that he warned Jonathan to keep to the PDP agreement, and that if he did not keep to that agreement, he would face the consequence. I even went on television to advise Jonathan to respect the agreement because North would not be happy with him if he did not obey the party agreement on power shift or rotation.

Look at what happened to Moshood Abiola on June 12, 1993, the Yoruba people were not happy, it was like denying the entire South west zone the opportunity to produce a candidate for the presidency. And I think that was why Olusegun Obasanjo was considered for the presidency in 1999. Jonathan left the north with the problem of Boko Haram, and up till today we are still fighting the President.

http://sunnewsonline.com/2019-north-wants-buhari-even-on-wheelchair-acf-chieftain/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by sarrki(m): 2:21am On Jun 14, 2017
Mr chieftain you are not patriotic

Secondly baba that we know will do the right thing

Please find another person to achieve your greedy aim

In as much as I love pmb

Nigeria is greater than any individual

Am a patriot

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by EzeUche(m): 2:33am On Jun 14, 2017
The North is too power hungry.

They have ruled Nigeria for over 50 years and have nothing to show for it.

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by fuckingAyaya(m): 3:21am On Jun 14, 2017
even inside casket chai fear north

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by olaniyi0(m): 3:31am On Jun 14, 2017
Zombie 001, ride on ride onZombie 001, ride on ride onZombie 001, ride on

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Candyrain(m): 3:46am On Jun 14, 2017
Is something really wrong with these people? shocked

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Karlman: 4:22am On Jun 14, 2017
HE CAN EVEN RULE FROM HIS COFFIN AND GRAVE!

...of course, a dead country should be run by a dead man...thats the norm!

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by MDsambo: 4:22am On Jun 14, 2017
Speak for yourself Mr Yakubu.
Its time for Buhari to resign.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by NothingDoMe: 4:24am On Jun 14, 2017
sarrki:

In as much as I love pmb

Am a patriot
My guy pocket that your fairweather patriotism.

The people you represent are ditching Buhari because he is no longer a viable candidate due to his health.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by UncleJudax(m): 4:24am On Jun 14, 2017
Candyrain:
Is something really wrong with these people? shocked
You still de ask? shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by ZombieTERROR: 4:26am On Jun 14, 2017
Karlman:
HE CAN EVEN RULE the north FROM HIS COFFIN!
Fixed

15 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by greatermax77(m): 4:26am On Jun 14, 2017
This is what you get in a nation where regional interest superceeds national interest.
Thats why we are where we are today.

7 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by nana228(f): 4:32am On Jun 14, 2017

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Kondomatic(m): 4:36am On Jun 14, 2017
sarrki:
In as much as I love pmb
Am a patriot
Where's Buhari?

12 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Jabioro: 4:38am On Jun 14, 2017
Tell Mr chieftain we can even vote for him in grave or posthumously to show our undeterred patriotism.. Okugbe !!! oni sokuso ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Demolaeby: 4:39am On Jun 14, 2017
This is a big insult to the nation of more than 160m people

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 4:43am On Jun 14, 2017
PMB 1523 REMAINS A CREDIBLE & VIABLE REPUTABLE & INCORRUPTIBLE CANDIDATE.
SICKNESS IS JUST FOR A MOMENT
HE HAS RECOVERED ALREADY.

1 Like

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 4:45am On Jun 14, 2017

DON'T FORGET, AN INJURED OKOCHA IS BETTER IN THE TEAM THAN VERY FIT OTHER PLAYERS.
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Nobody: 4:50am On Jun 14, 2017
If they like make dem want am even in grave their palava

1 Like

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Amberon11: 4:50am On Jun 14, 2017
grin
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Amberon11: 4:51am On Jun 14, 2017
undecided
ALMUSTAQIM:

DON'T FORGET, AN INJURED OKOCHA IS BETTER IN THE TEAM THAN VERY FIT OTHER PLAYERS.
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by sarrki(m): 5:30am On Jun 14, 2017
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by sinistermind(m): 6:25am On Jun 14, 2017
But seriously, the North still carry power on their heads,. What has these leaders from their region done for them. Borno alone can boast of several Billionaire and it is tagged as one of the poorest states in the country. How many of these northern elites have donated to IDP camps which are filled with their own people and yet they keep hailing these people upandan.

1 Like

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by eleojo23: 6:48am On Jun 14, 2017
These guys are officially mad! sad

4 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by dumie(f): 7:05am On Jun 14, 2017
He is serving their agenda of filling the quota system
As they feel they are born to rule

5 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Paperwhite(m): 7:14am On Jun 14, 2017
Nigeria is now on the brink but see how the born-to-rule brutes are still obsessed with power.Just imagine the kind of humanity Nigeria have in the north undecided undecided.God punish Lord Lugard.
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 14, 2017
Madness so this fool sees resignation as humiliation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Paperwhite(m): 7:21am On Jun 14, 2017
ALMUSTAQIM:

No wonder your reasoning too is the reversed order.What would have been your reaction if this scenario was being played by a president from another region?

2 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Candyrain(m): 7:22am On Jun 14, 2017
UncleJudax:

You still de ask? shocked

Bro I just need to ask ooo because I just tire
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by Paperwhite(m): 7:23am On Jun 14, 2017
greatermax77:
This is what you get in a nation where regional interest superceeds national interest.
Thats why we are where we are today.
Truth but the north are just selfish.

4 Likes

Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by coolzeal(m): 7:24am On Jun 14, 2017
To hell with what they want. What we want is good leadership and massive economic development including, restructuring Nigeria.
Re: 2019: North Wants Buhari, Even On Wheelchair –ACF Chieftain by ZKOSOSO(m): 7:35am On Jun 14, 2017
One living ancestor refusing to be welcomed by his mates....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Primaries: APC Members With Slips, Party Cards Can Vote In Lagos – Panel / BREAKING!! Onnoghen: Rivers State Lawyers Protest In Portharcourt (Photos) / What Sowore Said About Zamfara Killings During The Presidential Campaign (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.