Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,269 members, 7,839,351 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25446 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by lekside44(m): 11:02am On Jan 25, 2010
could this be another things fall apart?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 11:12am On Jan 25, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Another example of an Igbo son in slave captivity, living the life that fate had dealt him: Olaudah Equiano

See:
1. His Wikipedia entry.
2. The Life of Olaudah Equiano by Olaudah Equiano - originally published in 1814.

Excerpts:
1. His autobiography depicted the horrors of slavery and helped influence British lawmakers to abolish the slave trade through the Slave Trade Act of 1807. Despite his enslavement as a young man, [size=14pt]he purchased his freedom[/size] and worked as a seaman, merchant and explorer in South America, the Caribbean, the Arctic, the American colonies and the United Kingdom.

2. "Equiano's Narrative was so richly structured that it became the prototype of the nineteenth-century slave narrative."
--Henry Louis Gates, Jr. (Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University)

3. Compelling work traces the formidable journey of an Igbo prince from captivity to freedom and literacy and recounts his enslavement in the New World, service in the Seven Years War with General Wolfe in Canada, voyages to the Arctic with the Phipps expedition of 1772–73, six months among the Miskito Indians in Central America, and a grand tour of the Mediterranean as a personal servant to an English gentlemen. Skillfully written, with a wealth of engrossing detail, this powerful narrative deftly illustrates the nature of the black experience in slavery.

RichyBlack
Your point is mute. Many slaves paid for their freedom; Igbo, Yoruba, Asante, Wolof, Mandingo, etc
You can not refute the argument that Igbo did not export their religion during slavery by claiming that the Igbo were busy paying for their freedom. You listed only two accounts (with debatable origins anyway). Unless you can prove that while the Yoruba slaves were practising their religion, ALL the Igbo slaves were gaining their freedom. We know that did not happen.

Take for instance, one of the most popular freed slaves, Bishop Ajayi Crowther. He was captured in present day Oyo. I will not bore you with his story; I assume we are all familiar with that. There were numerous Yoruba slaves who gained their freedom as well and returned home. Please see below

From the mid-nineteenth century, freed Yorùbá slaves started returning to Lagos in waves first from Brazil and then from Sierra Leone. In 1847, Oba Kòsókó of Lagos sent his close friend and adviser Chief Oshòdì Tápà to South America to invite slaves with Yorùbá ancestry to return home. The trip yielded results in 1851 when 130 expatriates arrived in Lagos. By 1861 when Lagos formally became a British colony, the number of returnees had risen to about 3,000. The Brazilian expatriates brought with them skills in masonry, carpentry, and tailoring, a strong Catholic faith, and extensive Portuguese cultural traits.

Sierra Leonean expatriates, or Saros, mainly of Ègbá origins in present-day Abéòkúta in Ògùn State of Nigeria, started returning to Lagos in trickles about 1838. The reigning Oba Kòsókó did very little to make them feel welcome, so it was not until 1852 after Oba Kòsókó had been deposed by the British and replaced by Oba Akíntóyè, that Saros returned to Lagos in large numbers. They numbered about 2,500 by 1861 and were granted land in a district on the island still known as Saro Town.

http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos-History.html
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 11:17am On Jan 25, 2010
henry101:

^^^
He was trying to prove that the slave trade didnt help, but made it difficult to know the connections between the Egbas and the Igbos.

The writer of the article you posted was/is a lazy fellow. No academic will attempt to link two Nigerian tribes through the spelling of similar words since most Nigerian languages are derived the Niger-Congo (Kwa) group of languages. The only dots the lazy author could connect were Igbo and Egba.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by asha80(m): 11:21am On Jan 25, 2010
You guys have derailed from the thread.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Remii(m): 12:18pm On Jan 25, 2010
asha 80:

You guys have derailed from the thread.

grin grin grin grin grin grin what is the topic again, I keep forgetting. lol
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by onyengbu1(m): 1:38pm On Jan 25, 2010
Below is what Katsumoto said to adigun,
I applaud your attempts at being neutral but there is no need to perform a balancing act. Just present facts as facts and your opinions as opinions.

I have been reading your claimed betrayal of ndi igbo by ZIk and I have wondered whether you consider your source as being a factual source until I saw you wrote this.
This guy is supposedly presenting his opinion just like your source have presented his opinion that ZIK betrayed igbos. It is not necessarily facts. Wasnt it the same guy that claimed that Ifeajuna and Zik were cousins?

Have you considered the possibility that ZIk was actually trying another alternative to stop the igbo sufferings when he went to Nigeria? Why do you keep posting it all over the forum as if that is the only way you can change ndi igbo's perception of Awolowo.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2010
onye_ngbu:

Below is what Katsumoto said to adigun,
I applaud your attempts at being neutral but there is no need to perform a balancing act. Just present facts as facts and your opinions as opinions.

I have been reading your claimed betrayal of ndi igbo by ZIk and I have wondered whether you consider your source as being a factual source until I saw you wrote this.
This guy is supposedly presenting his opinion just like your source have presented his opinion that ZIK betrayed igbos. It is not necessarily facts. Wasnt it the same guy that claimed that Ifeajuna and Zik were cousins?

Have you considered the possibility that ZIk was actually trying another alternative to stop the igbo sufferings when he went to Nigeria? Why do you keep posting it all over the forum as if that is the only way you can change ndi igbo's perception of Awolowo.

Firstly, I am not here to change Ndigbo's perception of Awolowo. I am only postulating that some Igbo people only see Awolowo's betrayal while choosing to be blind and disingenous about Zik's betrayal. Awolowo has done is bit and is gone. I don't really care if anyone holds the perception that he betrayed the Igbo. For those that disingenously turn a blind eye to Zik's betrayal and for those who have been fed one side of the side, I only aim to remind/inform them about Zik's role during Biafra. Zik as an Igbo man was responsible for the Igbo and not Awolowo. If you are going to accuse Awolowo of betrayal, then you have to accuse Zik first.

Secondly, you can put whatever spin you want on Zik's about-turn but I leave you with several accounts of his acts towards the end of the war.

Nnamdi Azikiwe
(born Nov. 16, 1904, Zungeru, Nigeria — died May 11, 1996, Enugu) First president (1963 – 66) of independent Nigeria. Azikiwe's National Council party won the important 1959 federal elections and helped stimulate Nigerian independence. In the conflict over Biafra (1967 – 70), Azikiwe first backed his fellow Igbo but then threw his support to the federal government. Thereafter he was a leading opponent of the ruling party.

http://www.answers.com/topic/nnamdi-azikiwe

Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe , 1904-96, Nigerian statesman, popularly known as Zik. After advanced studies in the United States (1925), he returned to Nigeria, founded a chain of newspapers, and became one of the country's leading Igbo nationalists. He led a general strike in 1945 and later held the premiership (1954-59) of E Nigeria. Although his coalition won the 1959 elections, he was appointed (1960) to the honorary office of governor-general. In 1963 he became the first president of the Republic of Nigeria, serving until deposed by a military coup (1966). He worked abroad for Biafran secession (see Biafra ), but advocated reunification when the revolt seemed doomed. After returning to Nigeria in 1972, he became chancellor of Lagos Univ.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Benjamin_Nnamdi_Azikiwe.aspx

Facts about Biafra: Azikiwe, as discussed in Nnamdi Azikiwe (president of Nigeria):
In the conflict over Biafra (1967–70), Azikiwe first backed his fellow Igbo, traveling extensively in 1968 to win recognition of Biafra and help from other African countries. In 1969, however, realizing the hopelessness of the war, he threw his support to the federal government. When Olusegun Obasanjo turned the government over to civilian elections in 1979, Azikiwe ran unsuccessfully for,

http://www.britannica.com/facts/5/82518/Biafra-as-discussed-in-Nnamdi-Azikiwe-president-of-Nigeria

Whenever anyone accuses Awolowo of betrayal, I will remind them of Zik's betrayal as well. End of
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by onyengbu1(m): 2:28pm On Jan 25, 2010
You have ended up repeating what you have been doing.

All your sources are from web pages where an individual like you made their entries as to what their own opinion of of Zik was. Not necessarily FACTS.

However in all this, one thing you don't seem to point out in all your sources is that they all made it clear that Zik supported the war at first but when he realized that it was hopeless, threw his support  to the federal government.
My question to you is: In what manner did he threw the support that amounted to a betrayal.

I cannot see anywhere it was said that Zik betrayed igbos. I need you to make it clear how he betrayed the igbos.
Obviously, not verbally supporting the war will not be taken well by the igbos but that did not in any way contribute to the sufferings of the igbos.

Any igbo person that accuse Awolowo of betraying igbos will point out to you his direct actions that dealt great blows to igbos unlike ZIk.

Why do you keep comparing the two.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 2:42pm On Jan 25, 2010
onye_ngbu:

You have ended up repeating what you have been doing.

All your sources are from web pages where an individual like you made their entries as to what their own opinion of of Zik was. Not necessarily FACTS.

However in all this, one thing you don't seem to point out in all your sources is that they all made it clear that Zik supported the war at first but when he realized that it was hopeless, threw his support  to the federal government.
My question to you is: In what manner did he threw the support that amounted to a betrayal.

I cannot see anywhere it was said that Zik betrayed igbos. I need you to make it clear how he betrayed the igbos.
Obviously, not verbally supporting the war will not be taken well by the igbos but that did not in any way contribute to the sufferings of the igbos.

Any igbo person that accuse Awolowo of betraying igbos will point out to you his direct actions that dealt great blows to igbos unlike ZIk.

Why do you keep comparing the two.

So betrayal only counts when it actually leads to physical suffering? So when Zik switched sides, you were expecting Gowon to offer him a job that would enable him to act against Biafra? I understand that you and many others are set in your ways. Your minds are made up. I am not here to make up your mind for you; am only here to offer an alternate argument. Once the information is provided, everyone can make up their minds.

Check the meanings of betrayal; where does it say that it only counts when there is suffering?

be⋅tray
  /bɪˈtreɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [bi-trey] Show IPA
Use Betrayal in a Sentence
See images of Betrayal
Search Betrayal on the Web
–verb (used with object)
1. to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty: Benedict Arnold betrayed his country.
2. to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling: to betray a trust.
3. to disappoint the hopes or expectations of; be disloyal to: to betray one's friends.
4. to reveal or disclose in violation of confidence: to betray a secret.
5. to reveal unconsciously (something one would preferably conceal): Her nervousness betrays her insecurity.
6. to show or exhibit; reveal; disclose: an unfeeling remark that betrays his lack of concern.
7. to deceive, misguide, or corrupt: a young lawyer betrayed by political ambitions into irreparable folly.
8. to seduce and desert.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by onyengbu1(m): 3:58pm On Jan 25, 2010
Dont twist issues here.
You are comparing Zik's action and that of Awolowo and you are suggesting they did the same thing.

I am only trying let you know that the supposed betrayal of not verbally supporting the war (when it was obvious to the wise man that it is hopeless) cannot in any way be compared with awolowo's actions which obviously resulted in deaths of thousands of igbo people.

Zik did not at any time help the federal government in fighting igbos. Did he?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 5:00pm On Jan 25, 2010
Katsumoto:

RichyBlack
Your point is mute. Many slaves paid for their freedom; Igbo, Yoruba, Asante, Wolof, Mandingo, etc
You can not refute the argument that Igbo did not export their religion during slavery by claiming that the Igbo were busy paying for their freedom. You listed only two accounts (with debatable origins anyway). Unless you can prove that while the Yoruba slaves were practising their religion, ALL the Igbo slaves were gaining their freedom. We know that did not happen.

Take for instance, one of the most popular freed slaves, Bishop Ajayi Crowther. He was captured in present day Oyo. I will not bore you with his story; I assume we are all familiar with that. There were numerous Yoruba slaves who gained their freedom as well and returned home. Please see below

From the mid-nineteenth century, freed Yorùbá slaves started returning to Lagos in waves first from Brazil and then from Sierra Leone. In 1847, Oba Kòsókó of Lagos sent his close friend and adviser Chief Oshòdì Tápà to South America to invite slaves with Yorùbá ancestry to return home. The trip yielded results in 1851 when 130 expatriates arrived in Lagos. By 1861 when Lagos formally became a British colony, the number of returnees had risen to about 3,000. The Brazilian expatriates brought with them skills in masonry, carpentry, and tailoring, a strong Catholic faith, and extensive Portuguese cultural traits.

Sierra Leonean expatriates, or Saros, mainly of Ègbá origins in present-day Abéòkúta in Ògùn State of Nigeria, started returning to Lagos in trickles about 1838. The reigning Oba Kòsókó did very little to make them feel welcome, so it was not until 1852 after Oba Kòsókó had been deposed by the British and replaced by Oba Akíntóyè, that Saros returned to Lagos in large numbers. They numbered about 2,500 by 1861 and were granted land in a district on the island still known as Saro Town.

http://www.city-data.com/world-cities/Lagos-History.html

Katsumoto,

Your argument is moot. Ajayi Crowther was not a slave in the Americas and never left the shores of Africa, unlike Archibald Monteath and Olaudah Equiano. Ajayi Crowther NEVER bought his freedom, like Archibald Monteath and Olaudah Equiano did, as it was the British Navy that freed the Portuguese ship he was on. I don't see how you can make a comparison.

Also, returned slaves were of diverse ethnic backgrounds, or are trying to claim that they were mostly of a single ethnic group?

In addition, there is no dispute about Archibald Monteath's ethnic background. As regards Olaudah Equiano's background, the dispute concerning his origin is induced. He was a strong supporter of the abolitionist movement and many slave traders started disputing his works, person, origin and background so as to discredit him. Olaudah Equiano (aka Gustavus Vassa) was Igbo.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 5:11pm On Jan 25, 2010
The Invisible Chi in Equiano's "Interesting Narrative"
Author(s): Paul Edwards and Rosalind Shaw
Source: Journal of Religion in Africa, Vol. 19, Fasc. 2 (Jun., 1989), pp. 146-156
Published by: BRILL

Excerpt:

Of several books published by African writers in Britain in the late eighteenth century, Olaudah Equiano's The Interesting Narrative, an autobiography in two volumes, is outstanding. It describes his boyhood in an Igbo village, his kidnapping at the age of 11 and subsequent enslavement first to an English naval officer, then to a Quaker merchant from Philadelphia, his achievement of literacy and freedom, and his employment as a merchant seaman and personal servant involving him in travels to Turkey and the Mediterranean, Central America (where he spent six months amongst the Miskito Indians), and the Arctic in the Phipps Expedition of 1772-3. The Admiralty appointed him Commissary for Stores on the 1787 expedition to resettle free Blacks in Sierra Leone, but he left the ships at Plymouth after disagreements with its other leaders, to
become the principal African voice in Britain against the slave trade. He died in 1797, his book having gone into eight British and American editions, and translations into Dutch, German and Russian.

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 5:52pm On Jan 25, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Katsumoto,

Your argument is moot. Ajayi Crowther was not a slave in the Americas and never left the shores of Africa, unlike Archibald Monteath and Olaudah Equiano. Ajayi Crowther NEVER bought his freedom, like Archibald Monteath and Olaudah Equiano did, as it was the British Navy that freed the Portuguese ship he was on. I don't see how you can make a comparison.

Also, returned slaves were of diverse ethnic backgrounds, or are trying to claim that they were mostly of a single ethnic group?

In addition, there is no dispute about Archibald Monteath's ethnic background. As regards Olaudah Equiano's background, the dispute concerning his origin is induced. He was a strong supporter of the abolitionist movement and many slave traders started disputing his works, person, origin and background so as to discredit him. Olaudah Equiano (aka Gustavus Vassa) was Igbo.

You are still missing the point. Millions of Nigerians (as were other Africans) were enslaved during slavery. You have listed two individuals (one of whom's origin is disputed) as having paid for their freedom. The link I gave you indicates several thousands of Yoruba slaves returning to Lagos. Even if you provide evidence of several thousands Igbo slaves returning to Nigeria or obtaining their freedom, the fact still remains that many Africans obtained their freedom and either remained in the Americas or returned to Africa completely obliterating your allusion that only Igbo slaves worked hard to obtain their freedom. So there are other reasons why Igbo religions are/were not evident in the Americas and the Caribbean but it certainly was not because Igbo slaves were working for their freedom. Unless that you want to argue that only Igbo slaves obtained their freedom but returned to Lagos as Yoruba slaves.

I hope you understand now. BTW, thank you for stylishly providing the correct spelling of moot; I didn't re-read before posting.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 8:33pm On Jan 25, 2010

Why do you like to lie? grin grin grin

Historians, not slave traders (who could likely not read grin) dispute his origins, while praising him for fabricating his origins because it helped the causes of the abolitionist. During Olaudah's time, African slaves where seen as subhuman. Olaudah might have had to fabricate his history to portray himself in the right light as well as gain sympathizers for the abolition cause.

Its just like Chinua Achebe (Back to topic in a way) and Chiamanda Adichie, who complain about Eurocentrism while in a way trying to appeal to white people that Africans are human. As much as I respect Chiamanda adichie and Achebe, I don't believe literature should be written in such a fashion anyways.

@Richyblack,

It is inconclusive whether Olaudah Equiano is of igbo origin. It is quite likely that he is Igbo. But is is also equally probable, that he could have met an igbo slave, and taken the story of that igbo slave and make it his own story. This is quite common in slave narratives and a well accepted theory by historians. Moreover, Olaudah Equiano's friend and equally famous co-abolitionist- Ottobah Cugoano is not of disputed origin so please dont blame slave traders for anything.

The link I gave you indicates several thousands of Yoruba slaves returning to Lagos.

This is enough to figure out why the Yoruba religion is popular across the Caribbeans and Americas. The Yoruba were lucky to be able to preserve their culture. I don't believe in ethnic superiority like most igbos here do, and IMO, nothing intrinsically special about the Yorubas  except luck helped in the proliferation of the orisha practise. Moreover, it could be that a lot of the  Yoruba slaves were priests, which was less so for other African ethnic groups.

I agree with Katsumoto, a lot of Africans strove to purchase their freedom, not just the igbos. To suggest so, would be an insult to the sorrows, struggles and tears of these people. Nothing in history shows the igbo as exceptional  grin. Infact Haiti, the only slave colony to have a successful slave revolt which led to a nation had more Yoruba slaves.

Moreover we should be ashamed at ourselves for selling our brothers and people to europeans, and stop arguing about who is more famous.

If some greedy and spineless igbo people did not sell their brother Olaudah Equiano (supposedly), then this guy would have ended up living an ordinary happy life as a palm wine tapper in alaigbo
grin grin grin

To summarize: IGBO PEOPLE ARE NOT SPECIAL
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 8:42pm On Jan 25, 2010
By the way, I agree with everything Chinua Achebe said in a way. I also like him gentlemanly attitude of not pointing fingers. I wish some people could just take a leaf from his book.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 25, 2010
Sefago
and you think these biafra kids will listen to you with their s t u p i d theory.i'm surprised to see that lazy murder-ator richyblack strectching his muscle just to defend biafra.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 10:08pm On Jan 25, 2010
You guys love "twisting history".
More greese to ur elbows.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Mekusxyz: 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2010
Wetin concern una with Igbo and Yoruba slaves? People are discussing contemporary (1960-date) topics you guys are dragging yourselves 500 years back. Primitive people indeed grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 10:28pm On Jan 25, 2010
Ibo people think they can play Almighty Yorubasmiley I laugh in Chinesesmileysmiley
In 1960, they left the whole South to collude with North in order to defeat Western region, Not even up to a decade, their fried bean cakes loosen into their red oil. Northerns unleashed ugly mobbed on their ba.ckstabbers.

They colluded with our Western Region families, so that they can put their heads under ther f.ucking hyperplasia scrotums.
Check out the"Yeye Biafailed land mass," even in square kilometers, Biafran landmass not up to 30, 000 square kilometers not to talk of 30, 000 square miles. Another conspiracy theory in making.

Birthday: May 30, 1967

Capital: Enugu (Umuahia from Oct. 1967)

Population: 15 million

Area: 30,000 sq. miles

Ethnic Groups: Igbo, Ibibio, Efik, Ogoja, Ijaw, etc.

Resources: Palm produce, crude oil, coal, natural gas, limestone, iron ore,
cocoa, timber, etc.

Human Resources: 500 doctors, 700 lawyers, 600 hundred, 300 economists, etc.

University: University of Biafra, Nsukka [projected University of Port
Harcourt]

Head of State:
General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, jssc.

Chief of General Staff:  
Major-General Philip Effiong

Chief Secretary:
Mr. N. U. Akpan

GOC Biafran Army:
Major-General Alexander Madiebo [replaced Brigadier Hilary Njoku]

Commander, Biafran Air Force:
Wing Commander G. I. Ezeilo

Commander, Biafran Navy:
Captain. W. A. Anuku

Director of Military Intelligence:
Mr. Bernard Odogwu

Military Assistant to the C-in-C:
Colonel David Ogunewe

Principal Officer to the C-in-C:
Colonel Patrick Anwuna

Prominent Division GOCs:
Brigadier Tony Eze, Brigadier Pat Amadi, Colonel Joe ('Air Raid') Achizie,
Colonel Nsudo, Colonel Iheanacho, Colonel Archibong,  etc.

GOC, 101 (ROB Liberation Army): Brigadier Victor Banjo [later executed for
sabotage]

Inspector-General of Police:
Mr. P. I. Okeke

Chief Justice:
Sir Louis Mbanefo

Attorney-General & Commissioner for Justice:  
Mr. J. I. Emembolu

Special Advisers to the Head of State:
Dr. Akanu Ibiam & Dr. M. I. Okpara [respectively former Governor and Premier
of defunct Eastern Nigeria]

Biafra’s Roving Ambassadors: Dr. Nnamdi (Zik) Azikiwe (ex-President of
Nigeria, later left the breakaway republic); Dr. Kingsley Ozumba (K. O.)
Mbadiwe, Dr. Okechukwu. Ikejiani, Professor Kenneth Onwuka Dike, Mr. Chukwuma
Azikiwe, etc.

Chairman , Consultative Assembly:
Dr. Alvan Ikoku

Chairman, Atrocities Commission:
Mr. G. C. M. Onyiuke

Chairman, Rehabilitation  Commission:
 Dr. S. E. Imoke

Chairman, Development Commission:
Professor A. Modebe

Chairman, Marketing Board:
Mr. C. C. Mordi

Relief Coordinator:  
Dr. S. E. Cookey

Chairman, Food Directorate:
Mr. Bob Ogbuagu

Chairman, Housing Directorate:
Mr. P. O. Nwakoby

Commissioner of Home Affairs:
Mr. C. C. Mojekwu

Commissioner for Information:
Dr. Ifeagwu Eke

Commissioner for Health:
Mr. James Udo-Affiah

Commissioner for Transport & Communication:
Mr. Felix Iheanacho

Commissioner for Education:
Mr. M. T. Mbu.

Commissioner for Labor:
Mr. Emmanuel Aguma

Commissioner for Rural Development:
Chief Frank Opigo

Commissioner for Agriculture:
Professor Eyo Bassey Ndem

Commissioner for Forestry & Animal Husbandry:
Mr. U. O. Imo

Biafra Representative in London:
Mr. I. S. Kogbara

Biafra Representative in France:
Mr. Ralph Uwechue

Vice-Chancellor, University of Biafra:  
Professor Eni Njoku
[ex-VC, University of Lagos]

Director, War Information Bureau
Dr. Michael C. J.  Echeruo

Direct Military Aid:
Count Carl Gustav von Rosen (a Swede) of the "Biafran Babies" [Minicon
fighter planes] fame.

Relief Organizations:
Caritas International
World Council of Churches (WCC), International Committee of the Red Cross
(ICRC)

Nigeria Declaration of War:
July 6, 1967

Military Administrator of Republic of Benin (ROB):
Major (Dr.) Albert Okonkwo
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 11:20pm On Jan 25, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Wetin concern una with Igbo and Yoruba slaves? People are discussing contemporary (1960-date) topics you guys are dragging yourselves 500 years back. Primitive people indeed grin grin grin

We kept bringing all these to let ibo people get out of their kleptomaniac altitude. When Hausa, Oyo, Ife, Ashati empires reigned, nobody heard about anything ibo then. You people just think you can come from nowhere to claim our glories. Just because we let you encroach on our culture?

This one below is the "Yeye website" (wey una dey cry say na Ibos be the majority of slaves in America), but why is it that when we go across South America is Yoruba culture everywhere? I can name more than 50 spanish whites who claimed to be Yoruba by heritage, right from Carlos Santana the guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keZXlDZlluI (Ibos want everybody in both South American and North American to go do DNA test. When you never count those in your domain finish, you ran offshore to find people join una.
[q]
We Yorubas thanks all una Ibos for una backstabbings, we no even dey feel am again cos na blessings for us. A LOT OF AFRICAN AMERICANS THINK THEY HAVE NATIVE AMERICAN ANCESTRY, BUT NOT NECESSARY TRUE.
THIS WAS DISPROVED BY Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr (You and I know this professor, he just got arrested with having slurs with white police and later dined with Obama in White House.)
To cut my story short, this professor along with Morgan Freeman and Chris Turker, did DNA research and found out that most Black Americans are Yoruba decent.
Check this link below, and see a grown lady who in all her life thought she had indian heritage. The professor Henry Lious told her in 2.44 that she was from Yoruba tribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWzsSg4TUMw&feature=PlayList&p=C723B1A7051E7514&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15
[/q]
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 11:21pm On Jan 25, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Sefago
and you think these biafra kids will listen to you with their s t u p i d theory.i'm surprised to see that lazy murder-ator richyblack strectching his muscle just to defend biafra.

Look at this confused hermaphrodite talking where his seniors are talking. FYI, akamu-brained zombie like you, I'm not a moderator. I wonder why you can't use your head to understand this simple fact. Oh, I forgot, your cranium is empty.

Let me educate you, since you're so ignorant.

How to identify a moderator 101
1. Go to the poster's profile page.
2. Look at the item tagged "Position" (usually the third item)
3. Does it say "Moderator"?
4. If yes, then the poster is a moderator. Example kosovo, our Politics moderator:

Name:  kosovo
Position: Moderators
Date Registered: May 23, 2007, 04:47 AM
5. If no, then the poster is not a moderator. Example RichyBlack, our former Politics moderator:

Name:  RichyBlacK
Position: Active Poster
Date Registered: May 30, 2006, 11:52 PM

I'm not holding my breadth that a nincompoop like you will understand this simple lesson. As.sfag!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 11:43pm On Jan 25, 2010
akigbemaru:

We kept bringing all these to let ibo people get out of their kleptomaniac altitude. When Hausa, Oyo, Ife, Ashati empires reigned, nobody heard about anything ibo then. You people just think you can come from nowhere to claim our glories. Just because we let you encroach on our culture?

This one below is the "Yeye website" (wey una dey cry say na Ibos be the majority of slaves in America), but why is it that when we go across South America is Yoruba culture everywhere? I can name more than 50 spanish whites who claimed to be Yoruba by heritage, right from Carlos Santana the guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keZXlDZlluI (Ibos want everybody in both South American and North American to go do DNA test. When you never count those in your domain finish, you ran offshore to find people join una.
[q]
We Yorubas thanks all una Ibos for una backstabbings, we no even dey feel am again cos na blessings for us. A LOT OF AFRICAN AMERICANS THINK THEY HAVE NATIVE AMERICAN ANCESTRY, BUT NOT NECESSARY TRUE.
THIS WAS DISPROVED BY Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr (You and I know this professor, he just got arrested with having slurs with white police and later dined with Obama in White House.)
To cut my story short, this professor along with Morgan Freeman and Chris Turker, did DNA research and found out that most Black Americans are Yoruba decent.
Check this link below, and see a grown lady who in all her life thought she had indian heritage. The professor Henry Lious told her in 2.44 that she was from Yoruba tribe down.

Akigbemarun, Y r U ranting here like a wounded lion?
Wetin happen?
Did anybody force Bishop T. D Jakes, Forest Whitaker, Clair Underwood, Edward wilmot Blyden, President Edward James Roye, Africanus Horton, Olaudah Equiano, Simon Jonas, Rev. John Christopher Taylor to claim Igbo ancestry.
Are these guys not old enough to choose where they come from?
Shay Na Igbo people dey their own b4 dis guys came calling.
Chill out ok and celebrate Nigeria's qualification to the semi- Finals.
Peace Out.

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Mekusxyz: 11:59pm On Jan 25, 2010
Akigbemaru,

I hate to do this because it is way back in time and contributes nothing to me and my mission on NL, but do some reading here, if you may.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American

And what do you mean by Igbo kleptomania? EFCC list of corrupt Nigerians is still fresh. Hahahah!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:04am On Jan 26, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Akigbemaru,

I hate to do this because it is way back in time and contributes nothing to me and my mission on NL, but do some reading here, if you may.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American

And what do you mean by Igbo kleptomania? EFCC list of corrupt Nigerians is still fresh. Hahahah!

What the f0'ck? You cite Wikipedia.

Besides all the African tribes that were enslaved are properly represented in the Americas and the Caribbean. Its a waste of time trying to prove that there are Igbo slave descendents in America.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 12:06am On Jan 26, 2010

Na lie.

Katsumoto, mekusxyz is correct, a large number of african americans are of igbo descent. It makes a lot of sense though. The Wikipedia article is slightly solid.

Ok, back to topic.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 12:13am On Jan 26, 2010
Akigbemaru,

I hate to do this because it is way back in time and contributes nothing to me and my mission on NL

What is your mission on NL? Proving that Yoruba Yoruba people are cowards? grin grin grin, you know how arrogant the Yoruba are, most of us dont care.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:16am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

Na lie.

Katsumoto, mekusxyz is correct, a large number of african americans are of igbo descent. It makes a lot of sense though. The Wikipedia article is slightly solid.

Ok, back to topic.

Probably explains why most African Americans always blame the white man for their woes. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 12:29am On Jan 26, 2010
Akigbemarun, Y r U ranting here like a wounded lion?
Wetin happen?
Did anybody force Bishop T. D Jakes, Forest Whitaker, Clair Underwood, Edward wilmot Blyden, President Edward James Roye, Africanus Horton, Olaudah Equiano, Simon Jonas, Rev. John Christopher Taylor to claim Igbo ancestry.
Are these guys not old enough to choose where they come from?
Shay Na Igbo people dey their own b4 dis guys came calling.
Peace Out.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 12:32am On Jan 26, 2010
Peace Out

We won, ope oo

kai, but which kain rubbish is that, winning on penalties to zambia?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Abagworo(m): 12:46am On Jan 26, 2010
@Akigbemarun.African-americans borrowed more of igbo way of life.the swagga,the belief in numerous decentralised gangs.belief in equality of everyman etc.If you have seen the movie ''coming to america'' you would understand that similarity.no one can say for sure which ethnic group formed more of the slaves but i think yoruba influence is more in southern america while igbo influence is more in north america.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Mekusxyz: 12:48am On Jan 26, 2010
Katsumoto and Akigbemaru,

DNA does not, or hardly ever, lies. Forest Whitaker and Danny Glover (2 top Hollywood stars) were in Imo state recently to celebrate their Igbo-ness (DNA-confirmed) where they bagged chieftaincy titles. Are you not aware of that? grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Mekusxyz: 12:53am On Jan 26, 2010
Katsumoto,

You could not even say thank you SIR for proving to you that a few YORUBAS have been in govtal positions in Igbo land? Are you that ungrateful?
The brazillian Blacks, many of whom I believe are of Yoruba descent, complain about marginalization by white Brazillians too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (22) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari To Drag Fayose To Court If He Fails To Retract His Statements / Tribunal Finds Orubebe Guilty, Seizes His Property In Asokoro, Abuja / Oyo House Of Reps Member, Odidiomo Empowers Constituents With Goats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.