Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,297 members, 7,839,460 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25448 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 4:18am On Jan 26, 2010
Obviously, Yoruba is really what Igbo folks wanna be, I understand the envy and frustration behind  all the attention they lavish on Yoruba people.

You can not obtain swagger with money or shakara, it's just not part of your make up or DNA, Yoruba folks are born with it, even a day old Yoruba baby get swagger wey hin dey take cry for br!est milk.

Igbo folks really need to start worrying less about Yoruba folks and resist all urges and fixations. We all have our destinies and no amount of hate, envy and silly talks of cowards and other ridiculous nonsense fit help the Igbo nation close the ever widening gap between Yoruba and Igbo folks. Yoruba folks are a million miles ahead in arts/culture, literature, entertainment, education, human and physical development, socio and environmental sophistication. That's just the way it is, the way it was written.

I know Igbo folks bet everything on Biafra as if Biafra was their main panacea to salvation and Igbo utopia. If I ruled the world, trust me, I'll dash you Biafra this very minute because I don't see the Igbo nation moving on to beta things with the Biafra monkey, fixation and distraction still on their backs.

Now, checkout these 2 music videos, it explains the envy, the gap and frustration,  even why den hate Lagos.

Yoruba,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiSX5pagz8s

Igbo,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGn84Sg4RE

See the difference?

We all have our God's given characteristics and dispositions, you can't claim what's not yours or waste away your lives and future generation's by blaming other people for decades of self inflicted maladies and biafra distractions on other people, especially when these other people don't even give a s!.h!t about you. Igbo folks are like Ghana folks and Naija, always hating and trying to compare instead of worrying about their own existence.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 5:22am On Jan 26, 2010
I have come to see that some of these Yorubas posters on nairaland have nothing but hate for the Ndi Igbo.

However, I know they do not speak on behalf of the Yoruba nation. I have seen many good Yorubas and many bad.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 5:22am On Jan 26, 2010
Babapupa,
Your music comparison doesn't make sense, what point are you trying to make. These both clips were made in Lagos for your information. Just like comparing Kelly Handsome songs with Jembete logoba. It doesn't jell in this equation. Any tribes can make good music!

When people criticize us wrongly we can lash back, not drawn anormaly analogy.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 5:25am On Jan 26, 2010
Chinua Achebe is seen as the greatest African authors that ever lived.

And guess what, this great man is an IGBO!!! People around the world read his novel, THINGS FALL APART. Now what do you Yorubas have to match this great man? The answer is nothing.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 5:29am On Jan 26, 2010
akigbemaru:

I want all polemic ibos on this forum to face me, I have shi.ted on every last one of you before and I may do it again. You know yourself fo.ols!
Not only ibo can talk or criticize, we Yorubas have been talking since inception of this world (Onlytraitor) that is when your people were still monkeys before we codify your language for you.

Who codified the igbo language if I may ask?
Can the person who codified the igbo language do it alone with the someone helping him/her?
I am directing this piece to you, Akigbemarun?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 5:45am On Jan 26, 2010
lol akamubrain (akigbemaru) thinks his people codified Igbo language and beating his chicken chest. What a retard

He is resolutely retro-focused while we Igbomen are busy building ourselves into the indomitable group in Nigeria. I once theorized that once we forget about Biafra, we will inherit Nigeria for sure and id'i'ots like akigbemaru will be permanently neutralized. We will colonize them even in their lands and they can't do sh'it about it. That is the future I await. Lo, it is already around the corner.
While he is busy celebrating Oyo empire (frankly he has nothing else to celebrate), we will build the 21st century Igbo empire inside the everlasting one Nigeria grin It is written in heaven and is happening as akigbemaru digs Google.  grin lmfao!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 5:54am On Jan 26, 2010
akigbemaru:

Babapupa,
Your music comparison doesn't make sense, what point are you trying to make. These both clips were made in Lagos for your information. Just like comparing Kelly Handsome songs with Jembete logoba. It doesn't jell in this equation. Any tribes can make good music!

When people criticize us wrongly we can lash back, not drawn anormaly analogy.

To start with, I did not criticize, I basically asserted same point I made in my post about our different ways of life and disposition. It's pretty much obvious from history that we are on different plains. Tell me it's the other way around and I'll quickly call you a a lair and dishonest human being.  Nothing here  is a put down unless you're trying to make it one. Lets be honest with ourselves and quit the shameless falsities and move on.

About the 2 videos, they were both obviously made in Lagos and you're not telling me anything new and if I might add, you indirectly asserted my point. They were both made in Lagos just like tons of videos made by folks from both groups with different life realities and outlook.

It is still my believe that Igbo folks really want to be Yoruba because there's no any other way to explain the endless and unwanted attention they shower on Yoruba people. In life, we don't waste our time on issues and things we don't like, we simply move on and stake other beneficial interests.

These are legitimate observations, not criticism. We can debate these issues and have our Igbo friends explain to us why it's so hard for them to think less about Yoruba folks for a second. It's even worse when a whole group blames their misfortunes and denial of peaceful and fruitful utopia existence on another group (Yoruba).

There's got to be some kind of resolution somewhere and redirection of energy and focus. We read silly and ridiculous nonsense on NL everyday, it's the same bull crap about cowards, liars, betrayers and other mean spirited and hateful utterances. I really don't think it's sustainable, there's got to be some kind of mutual settlement. For Igbo people and just like in real life, it's always hard to move and achieve better things while still immersed in the past, bitterness and share envy, it just doesn't work and if I might add, we're seeing the effects as we speak.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Gayigaskia(m): 6:01am On Jan 26, 2010
I'am tire of hearing this ibo shit, if ibo are so smart why they don't stay build their states instead of moving to places like Timuktu . Let them have their own state so that Kalu can take more of their money to open a bank in Gambia.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 6:03am On Jan 26, 2010
EzeUche:

Chinua Achebe is seen as the greatest African authors that ever lived.

And guess what, this great man is an IGBO!!! People around the world read his novel, THINGS FALL APART. Now what do you Yorubas have to match this great man? The answer is nothing.

Chinua Achebe is indeed a great man of literature, but another man, a Nigerian named Wole Soyinka won the Nobel Prize in Literature. The first African to win the prize if I might add,

Literature pass literature and man pass man my brother. Go recycle the highlighted and resubmit in the next lifetime.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 6:09am On Jan 26, 2010
babapupa:

Chinua Achebe is indeed a great man of literature, but another man, a Nigerian named Wole Soyinka won the Nobel Prize in Literature. The first African to win the prize if I might add,

Literature pass literature and man pass man my brother. Go recycle the highlighted and resubmit in the next lifetime.

Wole Soyinka is a good man and a Yoruba and he has my respect. However,  Chinua Achebe has been called "the father of modern African writing." Without Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka would not have been able to win that award. Even Nelson Mandela, recalling his time as a political prisoner, once referred to Achebe as a writer "in whose company the prison walls fell down."
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 6:10am On Jan 26, 2010
Gayigaskia:

I'am tire of hearing this ibo poo, if ibo are so smart why they don't stay build their states instead of moving to places like Timuktu . Let them have their own state so that Kalu can take more of their money to open a bank in Gambia.

There is nothing "gaskia" about your rant. I hope you haven't already gotten tired of our everlasting unity. I have a right to live anywhere in Nigeria. Don't forget that. I need money to build my land grin and I'm not afraid to hustle for it even in Timbuktu. At least I'm not waiting for oil money like you.  cool

Abi you never see the kind mansions wey we dey build for Igboland? You think say dem dey fall from heaven?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Gayigaskia(m): 6:17am On Jan 26, 2010
At least i don't prostut*** my sister for money
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 6:18am On Jan 26, 2010
Gayigaskia:

I'am tire of hearing this ibo poo, if ibo are so smart why they don't stay build their states instead of moving to places like Timuktu . Let them have their own state so that Kalu can take more of their money to open a bank in Gambia.

Yes, we rather make money in other people's land since people are not as smart as us. Our business acumen cannot be challenged unless the person is an Ashanti, Shona or Gikuyu. These people like the Igbo understand business.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 6:19am On Jan 26, 2010
Gayigaskia:

That is, because your sisters are too ugly to even make money off of them.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 6:19am On Jan 26, 2010
EzeUche:

Wole Soyinka is a good man for a Yoruba and he has my respect. However,  Chinua Achebe has been called "the father of modern African writing." Without Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka would not have been able to win that award. Even Nelson Mandela, recalling his time as a political prisoner, once referred to Achebe as a writer "in whose company the prison walls fell down."

Please, let's not get into sidewalk irrelevancies, I could name a million and one people with similar claims about Wole Shoyinka.

The fact is, Nobel is the only golden and global standard when it comes to literature human achievements. Wole Shoyinka not only was awarded, he was the first African and the only Nigerian. Let's just leave it at that.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 6:21am On Jan 26, 2010
Gayigaskia:

Actually you do far worse. You marry them off at 9 year old and have a homosexual culture fully incorporated into your culture called "dan dawudu".
If you hate money so much, why are you stealing Nigeria's money in billions of dollars?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by revolt(m): 7:43am On Jan 26, 2010
I've been studying trends on nl. How come when threads for bashing yorubas benin etc are opened they hardly get replies but when it's time to bash igbos suddenly nl comes alive. There must be something special or unique about igbos that other peers are so interested in. Time will tell.a
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 26, 2010
What is special about igbo if not the civil war ?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 8:03am On Jan 26, 2010
revolt:

I've been studying trends on nl. How come when threads for bashing yorubas benin etc are opened they hardly get replies but when it's time to bash igbos suddenly nl comes alive. There must be something special or unique about igbos that other peers are so interested in. Time will tell.a

It shows the contempt that most groups in Nigeria have for the Ndi Igbo. We are like the Jews of Nigeria. People hate us, but we are crucial to Nigeria's survival.

The Ndi Igbo are the glue that keeps Nigeria together, without the Ndi Igbo, THINGS WOULD FALL APART!!!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 8:06am On Jan 26, 2010
^LOL, do u really believe that grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by onyengbu1(m): 8:06am On Jan 26, 2010
Katsumoto are you there?

This thread has mutated into something very strange, can you reverse engineer it?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 8:12am On Jan 26, 2010
This thread has mutated into something very strange can[b] reverse engineer[/b] it?

Hhaaha
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 26, 2010
Igbo special igbo special.we've been thru this several times
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 12:49pm On Jan 26, 2010
akigbemaru:

Back to you "Onlytraitor" or holytreachery or onlytruth

You people can hate on Yoruba from today till tomorrow, you can't do sh.it. Because one who can't conquer somebody would not dare lay an ambush, unless he wants twice beaten.

Please, beg gods of Biafra to help you people go back to your little portion of land in Eastern Jungle. We still have one Nigeria, there is over-crowding already in the Biafran land, if you guys secede your situation would be so pathetic!!! I guess your moochers still waiting on because you are milking oil money. Thanks God, that the largess of Awolowo never let Western Region secede at that time, your oil I mean Oyel like Ibo people called it had gone finishing since 1800s, what would you people would have been eating?

Let me set the record straight now!
I think after my calculaton below, which is nothing but the truth (you will not be proud of Calabar and Rivers.
To the Ijaws and we Yoruba westerners, Isacc Adaka Boro was an hero and a legend; but to all Bia-failed people or ill-jerk monkey (he was a criminal) just because he got back Port Harcourt and River state from the greedy Igbo people (just like how OJUKWU is a criminal to Ijaw people).
Let me do the math for you fool! Check from this Bia-failed link below to calculate your remaining landmass. http://www./Biafra%20facts%201967.htm
Birthday: May 30, 1967

Capital: Enugu (Umuahia from Oct. 1967)

Population: 15 million

Area: 30,000 sq. miles

Ethnic Groups: Igbo, Ibibio, Efik, Ogoja, Ijaw, etc.
Back then, the Bia-failed landmass was 26,000 sq. miles; but they claimed from the above website that it was 30,000 sq. miles, which I believe was a hoax.
Then, to satisfy you, I will use 30,000 sq. miles to do my calculation.
Here it goes: Multiply 30,000 sq. miles by 2.5 to convert it to Kilometer square = (75,000 km²)
Now, go back to Ethicity, just push Ibibio, Efik, Ogoja and Ijaw to the side (because if you ask them if they are Igbos, they will nearly got you bitten before they would reject it overthere dead body to be called Igbo).
This is what constitutes Igboland:
Anambra (4,844km²)
Enugu state (7,161 km2)
Imo state (5,530 km²)
Abia state (6,320km²)
Ebonyi state (5,530 km²)
Total is (29, 385 km²) not up to Kogi state (29,833 km²) talkless of Kwara state (36,825 km²)

Then,Efiks, Bekwara, Ibibio and Ejagham (own Cross river and Akwa Ibom) and they are 5 million strong

Cross river (20,215km²)
Akwa Ibom (7,081km²)
Total landmass is (27,296km²)

Then, Ijaw and Annago
Delta state (17,698 km²)
River state (14,201 km²)
Bayelsa state (10,773 km²)
Total landmass is (42, 672km²) if you add Edo (17,802 km²)
Total is (60,474km²) more than times two of the whole Bia-failed nation. Damn it, y’all just got donk son!

Taraba state 54,473 km²
Adamawa state (36,917km²)
Benue state (34,059 km²)
Total land Hausa took away from the East (125,449 km²). Haba! Y’all got donk again! In my own opinion, there is nothing like South East, since majority is from the North. Let’s put Bia-failed land with its (29, 385 km²) to the North. How about that son?

I thought to have seen ignoramus nincompoops but none is a bigger dumb arse than this author. I am always thrilled by watching the troll display his/her stark ignorance in a public. The dude is a waste of human endeavor. At least, you should try to get the correct ethnic groupings in Nigeria before going into the complex world of mathematics.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by abadaba(m): 4:05pm On Jan 26, 2010
Some I.D.IO.T.S here thinks that Achebe is interested in that yeye nobel prize for literature. The organisers know that he will humiliate them if they offer him one.They know already what Achebe did to Obasanjo's regime when they tried to offer him one.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 4:42pm On Jan 26, 2010
How can you define cowards and backstabbers for me?
1) For reneging on Southern agreement to collude with Northern in 1960 and got your caps peeled up smiley
2) For leaving Eastern jumgle to cause troubles in prosperous Western Region.
3) For having just only 27, 000 square kilometers of land and wanted to put Ibibio and Ijaw that each one of them has more landmass than you under your Biafailed nation.
4) For having just only 27, 000 square kilometers of land and wanted to divide land of 921,00o square kilometers.
These are really traits of cowards and backstabbers.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 4:47pm On Jan 26, 2010
abadaba:

Some I.D.IO.T.S here thinks that Achebe is interested in that yeye nobel prize for literature. The organisers know that he will humiliate them if they offer him one.They know already what Achebe did to Obasanjo's regime when they tried to offer him one.

Can you tell us why you think that Achebe would humiliate the organisers of the Nobel Prize? So now you are equating a Nigerian award with the Nobel Prize. It is ok to defend your tribe; its your prerogative. But there is no need to make an ass of yourself in the process; and to think that you called some other posters idiots.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by EzeUche(m): 4:52pm On Jan 26, 2010
akigbemaru:

How can you define cowards and backstabbers for me?
1) For reneging on Southern agreement to collude with Northern in 1960 and got your caps peeled up smiley
2) For leaving Eastern jumgle to cause troubles in prosperous Western Region.
3) For having just only 27, 000 square kilometers of land and wanted to put Ibibio and Ijaw that each one of them has more landmass than you under your Biafailed nation.
4) For having just only 27, 000 square kilometers of land and wanted to divide land of 921,00o square kilometers.
These are really traits of cowards and backstabbers.

You fool, you do know that the Ibibio and the Efik are the Ndi Igbo staunchest allies. Shows what you know about Eastern politics. I am an Aro man, with Efik and Ibibio blood running through my veins.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 5:18pm On Jan 26, 2010
If anybody deceives you, better don't deceive yoursefl. Who is Achebe if Wole Shoyinka is talking. It's like a graduate student without a degree.
Charles Barkeleys despite how he was good when he was playing basketball, but never had any championship rings, when the likes of Michael Jordan, Kobi, Wade, Akeem Olajuwon brandish their rings he always cries. I draw the analogy on the same account with your Achebe. Writing has to come naturally, you can't be too emotional in your writing, Wole Soyinka, man of objectivity with originality. Achebe will never win Noble Laureate, he is not there yet, maybe after he dies!

Monday, January 25, 2010 ([size=16pt]The whole world cannot be fooled, they see your emotional Achebe before they chose the best writing on the face of Africa to head the group of literary elites). [/size]
Even, after Wole Shoyinka in Africa, Desmond Tutu comes second, Achebe never gets close, we don't use age to do it leave story. Achebe is so emotional he reminds me of my b.itch Ronisha grin cheesy undecided

[size=14pt]Soyinka headlines Literature festival in India[/size]

Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka heads a list of some of the most powerful authors in the world to what has been described the 'greatest literary show on earth' at DSC Jaipur Literature Festival. The literary feast has caught the attention of Indian newspapers with scream headlines such as: "Soyinka casts a spell over Jaipur", after his session of yesterday, where he had read to a large audience of over 2,000 people, who were charmed. The Jaipur Literature Festival has authors like Jamaica Kincaid, Hanif Kureishi, Niall Ferguson, Louis De Bernieres, Roberto Calasso, Amit Chaudhuri, Geoff Dyer, Vikram Chandra, Tina Brown, Claire Tomalin, Michael Frayn, Mahasweta Devi, Shobhaa De Indira Goswami, Krishna Sobti, Krishna Baldev Vaid, Steve Coll, Stephen Frears, Pavan Varma, Lawrence Wright, Christophe Jaffrelot, Ashi Dorji Wangmo Wangchuk, and Alexander McCall Smith and Bollywood actor, Om Puri.

advertisement

Nwelue, author of the award-winning novel, The Abyssinian Boy,
writes from the Pink City of Jaipur
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 5:21pm On Jan 26, 2010
EzeUche:

You fool, you do know that the Ibibio and the Efik are the Ndi Igbo staunchest allies. Shows what you know about Eastern politics. I am an Aro man, with Efik and Ibibio blood running through my veins.

Just when you thought you have seen the worst of that guy's idiocy, he proves you wrong again. I never knew that idiocy could be limitless. He is making a miserable efforts at divide and rule, but he forgets that his land contributes nearly zero to the national coffers. What is the total dollar contribution of Yorubaland to Nigeria's coffers? And don't tell me about Lagos, because Igbos own about half of Lagos properties.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 5:22pm On Jan 26, 2010
Now that I'm logged in, watch, he'll log off!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 5:40pm On Jan 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Just when you thought you have seen the worst of that guy's idiocy, he proves you wrong again. I never knew that idiocy could be limitless. He is making a miserable efforts at divide and rule, but he forgets that his land contributes nearly zero to the national coffers. What is the total dollar contribution of Yorubaland to Nigeria's coffers? And don't tell me about Lagos, because Igbos own about half of Lagos properties.

I may put Lagos foo.l, you can't match me because words are not sweet in your mouth. Your mild is bitter like a bile grin I know that's right fo.ol.
We Yorubas never claimed we have (Abia--the Japan of Africa), (Onitsha--the London of Africa), (Enugu--the Dubai of Africa), (Makurdi--the USA of Africa), but at the end of the day, none of these generated 10 billion nairas for government in 2008. Lagos State single-handedly generated 160 billion nairas and gave back 80 billion nairas to Government, so that government can use it to sustain all your USA, Japan, Dubai of Africa. Bullsh, ts!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

Femi Gbajabiamila Meets Ayodele Daniel-Dada (Pictured) / Names Of National Population Commissioner-Nominees Confirmed by Senate / Cross River 2023: PFN To Mobilise One Million Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.