Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,673 members, 7,837,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25431 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 12:53am On Jan 26, 2010
DNA does not, or hardly ever, lies. Forest Whitaker and Danny Glover (2 top Hollywood stars) were in Imo state recently to celebrate their Igbo-ness (DNA-confirmed) where they bagged chieftaincy titles. Are you not aware of that?

The genetic markers used for determining their ethnic group is based on population genetics. DNA doesn't lie, but the methodology could be misleading. However, I am not disputing anything anyways. By the way you guys love giving out chieftaincy titles. Man I can't wait to get my own.

EZE SEFAGO

@Akigbemarun.African-americans borrowed more of igbo way of life.[b]the swagga,the belief in numerous decentralised gangs.belief in equality of everyman [/b]etc.If you have seen the movie ''coming to america'' you would understand that similarity.no one can say for sure which ethnic group formed more of the slaves but i think yoruba influence is more in southern america while igbo influence is more in north america.

LOL, You watch too much movies. None of these are part of AA culture. AA culture is a confluence of African cultures, there is nothing distinctly igbo about it.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 12:54am On Jan 26, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Katsumoto,

You could not even say thank you SIR for proving to you that a few YORUBAS have been in govtal positions in Igbo land? Are you that ungrateful?

Proves that the igbos recognize the genius of the yoruba.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:55am On Jan 26, 2010
Abagworo:

@Akigbemarun.African-americans borrowed more of igbo way of life.the swagga,the belief in numerous decentralised gangs.belief in equality of everyman etc.If you have seen the movie ''coming to america'' you would understand that similarity.no one can say for sure which ethnic group formed more of the slaves but i think yoruba influence is more in southern america while igbo influence is more in north america.

That is a lot of bull; there are no scientific or cultural identified traits. You have just described perceptions. While Yoruba influence is very evident in South America, Central America and the Caribbean, you can not say the same about ANY african influence in the US. It may be because the slave owners in the US were more wicked and did not permit the slaves to retain their identities. This is a very strong observation because most slaves ended up in the US.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 12:58am On Jan 26, 2010
BACK TO TOPIC

I think this shows that Africans are willing to sell each other at the slightest opportunity to the best buyer. If the igbo could sell themselves so well to white people, man, they could do so in modern day Nigeria. See Ojo Maduekwe- Yar'adua's boy boy. Anyways that is another topic
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:59am On Jan 26, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Katsumoto,

You could not even say thank you SIR for proving to you that a few YORUBAS have been in govtal positions in Igbo land? Are you that ungrateful?
The brazillian Blacks, many of whom I believe are of Yoruba descent, complain about marginalization by white Brazillians too.

Thank you, however, your evidence is only about special advisers. That is definitely not the same as a ministry. But thanks nonetheless.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 1:01am On Jan 26, 2010
The brazillian Blacks, many of whom I believe are of Yoruba descent, complain about marginalization by white Brazillians too.

Hmm not true but i wuld ignore this anyways.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 1:04am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

BACK TO TOPIC

I think this shows that Africans are willing to sell each other at the slightest opportunity to the best buyer. If the igbo could sell themselves so well to white people, man, they could do so in modern day Nigeria. See Ojo Maduekwe- Yar'adua's boy boy. Anyways that is another topic

Can you pls explain the bolded part, I want to know more about it.
Thanks.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:06am On Jan 26, 2010
Mekusxyz:

Katsumoto,

That is not true; Brazil is one of those rare societies where racism gets little attention. I go there a lot; I don't feel out of place unlike the way I feel sometimes in Europe or the US.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 1:06am On Jan 26, 2010
henry101:

Can you pls explain the bolded part, I want to know more about it.
Thanks.

Lol, relax, everyone did the selling including Yoruba (die-hard sellers for that matter) grin

What I am trying to disprove is that treachery/cowards or whatever is specific to one ethnicity.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 1:07am On Jan 26, 2010
ok o
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:10am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

BACK TO TOPIC

I don't get that; most tribes sold their people even though they mostly claimed that they sold captives from tribal wars. I went to school with one chap from East Africa, and he claims that Africa is suffering because of the actions of Africans in selling their brothers into slavery. I have thought long and hard about it; I am yet to accept or discount it.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 1:11am On Jan 26, 2010
What you did not know igbos used to kidnap people from other villages and sell them? Or did you think, some old white man who cannot survive the african heat was carrying out raids in alaigbo grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 1:13am On Jan 26, 2010
I don't get that; most tribes sold their people even though they mostly claimed that they sold captives from tribal wars. I went to school with one chap from East Africa, and he claims that Africa is suffering because of the actions of Africans in selling their brothers into slavery. I have thought long and hard about it; I am yet to accept or discount it.

Its quite well proven and well known that most slaves where just not war captives. Most people claim it is oyibo lying, or european brain washing but if you have an open mind and seek the truth you will learn. Moreover, its well recounted for in several slave narratives.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:17am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

Its quite well proven and well known that most slaves where just not war captives. Most people claim it is oyibo lying, or european brain washing but if you have an open mind and seek the truth you will learn. Moreover, its well recounted for in several slave narratives.

Thats my point; what I meant by my last phrase was that I am yet to accept or discount that Africa is in a mess today because Africans sold Africans. The East African chap claims that Africa is cursed.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 1:22am On Jan 26, 2010
Katsumoto:

Thats my point; what I meant by my last phrase was that I am yet to accept or discount that Africa is in a mess today because Africans sold Africans. The East African chap claims that Africa is cursed.

LOL, that is crap. We were not the first neither are we going to be the last. Further, the African selling the slaves to Europeans were unaware of the evil and chattel slavery that was occurring across the Atlantic. They thought it would be the same type of slavery that was practised in preexisting African communities, in which though the slaves were of lower social class, were also treated with humane respect. It does show the moral superiority of Africans in treating other "lesser" people such slaves. Its not the fault of the african slave traders that they expected the same level of humanity from the Europeans grin.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 1:26am On Jan 26, 2010
Back to topic anyways,

Why I spent so much time on history because I wanted to draw facts that the igbo people are not as special as they like other people to think. This is a long time ago history, but so would biafra after a century passes. So y'all should continue wasting cyberspace- 100 years from now there would be still one nigeria tongue
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 1:51am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

Back to topic anyways,

Why I spent so much time on history because I wanted to draw facts that the igbo people are not as special as they like other people to think. This is a long time ago history, but so would biafra after a century passes. So y'all should continue wasting cyberspace- 100 years from now there would be still one nigeria tongue

I can see that is what all of you are so worked up about; like the one Nigeria you know today (which made you kings after a monumental treachery and back stabbing) will remain the same 100 years to come. The mistake some of you make is to assume that the Igbo need Nigeria to disintegrate before they can survive. The beauty of being an Igboman is that we aren't afraid of any challenges. We survived when your fathers thought we would die. I cannot wait for the Nigeria of 100 years from now! cool

I prophesied to you guys that a time will come when you will put in more efforts to divide Nigeria and we Igbos will fight you to death to keep it one. With the likes of akamubrain (was it akigbemaru) pervading your land, you will beg, scheme, betray, fight, bend over to be f**cked and all, but it will be too late.

We can't wait for the future. It thrills me! grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 2:06am On Jan 26, 2010
Chineke me e! They all suddenly took off shocked shocked

No comment again?
Na wa for these yoruba folks o! grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 2:23am On Jan 26, 2010
No, ur post did not make sense, so i decided to ignore it until someone interpreted it:

I can see that is what all of you are so worked up about; like the one Nigeria you know today (which made you kings after a monumental treachery and back stabbing) will remain the same 100 years to come. The mistake some of you make is to assume that the Igbo need Nigeria to disintegrate before they can survive. The beauty of being an Igboman is that we aren't afraid of any challenges. We survived when your fathers thought we would die. I cannot wait for the Nigeria of 100 years from now!

IGBO PEOPLE ARE HUMAN. THEY ARE NOT SPECIAL OR GENETICALLY DIFFERENT.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 2:29am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

No, your post did not make sense, so i decided to ignore it until someone interpreted it:

The implied meaning of that comment is that you are feeling inferior to the Igbo. I never said we are special. All I said was that we aren't afraid of challenges, especially in the context of a one Nigeria. Personally I believe we have already survived the greatest challenge possible in a country like Nigeria. We have learned from that challenge and are continuing to invest in our survival. We do so fearlessly and diligently. Nothing special about that.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 2:30am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

No, your post did not make sense, so i decided to ignore it until someone interpreted it:

Yeah they r not special,
bt U continue to make them special, super human and strong by peddling in their affairs.
That's the way I c it.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 2:40am On Jan 26, 2010
The implied meaning of that comment is that you are feeling inferior to the Igbo. I never said we are special. All I said was that we aren't afraid of challenges, especially in the context of a one Nigeria. Personally I believe we have already survived the greatest challenge possible in a country like Nigeria. We have learned from that challenge and are continuing to invest in our survival. We do so fearlessly and diligently. Nothing special about that.

LOL, inferior to igbo right grin. You wish. I just see these comments over NL where people make it sound that the igbo are intrinsically more industrial, morally upright, and generally better than other ethnic groups. Its really not true lol.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 2:53am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

LOL, inferior to igbo right grin. You wish. I just see these comments over NL where people make it sound that the igbo are intrinsically more industrial, morally upright, and generally better than other ethnic groups. Its really not true lol.

I remember when I was a kid (about 10 or 11 years), I and my cousins used to measure our heights to know who was tallest. grin My father used to tell us that height wasn't an issue in life. He said that the most important measure of a man is his superlative contribution to the human essence, not his height! grin
In Igbo language it is called nke onye na emekari -meaning -that which sets you apart from all other human beings, that in which you excel.
You may not understand what drives me as an Igboman. I just gave you a hint.

I don't expect any human being to feel inferior to me because the word does not exist in my Igbo lexicon.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 2:59am On Jan 26, 2010
He said that the most important measure of a man is his superlative contribution to the human essence, not his height!

Smart man. You should follow his advise, get off NL, and start improving the lives of the miserable majority in alaigbo. grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 3:07am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

Smart man. You should follow his advise, get off NL, and start improving the lives of the miserable majority in alaigbo. grin

I may already be doing it. I know that nairaland is not necessarily your average naija crowd, but I want to learn and teach here first before moving on. I'm already getting to the end of my "missionary journey" on nairaland. grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 3:26am On Jan 26, 2010
I may already be doing it. I know that nairaland is not necessarily your average naija crowd, but I want to learn and teach here first before moving on. I'm already getting to the end of my "missionary journey" on nairaland.

Have you really taught anyone? Have you really learned anything except unwarranted hate?

Mekusxyz claims to be following an agenda, but what really his agenda- how has his postings improved the lot of Nigeria but instead deepening the divide? To cure a wound, you don't open up, you usually patch it last time I checked.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 3:28am On Jan 26, 2010
[q]
@Akigbemarun.African-americans borrowed more of igbo way of life.the swagga,the belief in numerous decentralised gangs.belief in equality of everyman etc.If you have seen the movie ''coming to america'' you would understand that similarity.no one can say for sure which ethnic group formed more of the slaves but i think yoruba influence is more in southern america while igbo influence is more in north america.[/q]

Don't say this in your f.ucking life no more. It's not f.ucking true f.ool.

Where ibos are, when the Bata (Yoruba talking drum was banned during slavery?
In America and Canada, no any other tribe of Africa that has produced half of what Yoruba people have produced in North American, in term of religion, culture, and education

We produced the one and only African village in the whole America "Oyotunji" go check you facts f.ool!

Apart from Virginal where you people built on just half plot of land to remember your ibo people tha had worked sometimes ago in Virginal. Name one place where they celebrate ibo culture in USA?

There are places where Yoruba culture has strong holds.

The new age of Yoruba beliefs have risen, in the US, in the last century due to the influx of Puerto Rican and Cuban immigrants to the US. The most common form, Santeria, is a mix of Yoruba beliefs and Catholicism and brings the Ifa deities, music, dances and rites with it.))

In America, the largest of shrines of any tribes other than whites. E.g. New York:
Temple of YORUBA/ORISA’IFA just in USA
South Carolina: Oyotunji Village (The one and only largest African Village in the whole USA. It covers about (120 km), when you get to the entrance it reads: You are now leaving USA, welcome to “OYOTUNJI VILLAGE” we greet you in the name of our ancestors!).
California: Ijo Orunmila, Ile Orunmila, and Awo Study Center
Florida: Ile Orunmila Temple, Ife Ile, Church of Lukumi Illinois: Ile Ifa Jalumi, Ile Osikan, Egbe Imole Agbon Iwosan
New York: Ile Ase, Lukumi Church
Tennessee Mimo Anago Ile Oshun
Charleston: Elequa
Texas: Ile Olokun
Virginia Ile Oyigigi Ojuba Orisa AKAN
Georgia: Akan Spiritual United Order
Maryland: Nyame Dua: Shrine House for Spiritual Healing
New York: Obaatanpa N’Abosum Fie
Pennsylvania: Adade Kofi Bosomfie Sankofa, Asona Aberade Shrine, Inc. Washington D.C. Onipa Abusia, Asomdwee Fie,
Shrine of the Abosom and Nsamanfo KEMETIC
Washington DC Region,
Florida: Ausar Auset Society Orlando Study Group
Maryland: Baltimore Branch of the
Ausar Auset Society International Pennsylvania: Ausar Auset Society in Philadelphia
Washington D.C. Ausar Auset Society
Washington, DC .“

The largest also in South America, from Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobbago e.t.c
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 3:37am On Jan 26, 2010
Currently, they have 18 million Santeria adherents in USA only, then analyses state that since USA has removed embargo on Cuba, that by 2040. They would have increased to 50 million adherents. Name of place in US that worship Ibo religion or Culture.
These are few of Santeria churches that have less than 10,000 worshippers every weekend.

1) The African Theological Archministry, in South Carolina, founded by Walter Eugene King, now has approximately 10,000 members.
2) The Church of Seven African Powers, in Florida, was founded in the 1980's, and focuses on the ebo (spells) and instructs members how to use them in their lives.
3) Noa stated that Jennifer Lopez practices a form of spiritualism known as Santeria or Brujeria, which draws on an African tradition of chanting, trance states and animal sacrifice. The practice is common in the Caribbean islands and , common in the Bronx, New York from where J Lo hails.(source)
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 3:53am On Jan 26, 2010
Back to you "Onlytraitor" or holytreachery or onlytruth

You people can hate on Yoruba from today till tomorrow, you can't do sh.it. Because one who can't conquer somebody would not dare lay an ambush, unless he wants twice beaten.

Please, beg gods of Biafra to help you people go back to your little portion of land in Eastern Jungle. We still have one Nigeria, there is over-crowding already in the Biafran land, if you guys secede your situation would be so pathetic!!! I guess your moochers still waiting on because you are milking oil money. Thanks God, that the largess of Awolowo never let Western Region secede at that time, your oil I mean Oyel like Ibo people called it had gone finishing since 1800s, what would you people would have been eating?

Let me set the record straight now!
I think after my calculaton below, which is nothing but the truth (you will not be proud of Calabar and Rivers.
To the Ijaws and we Yoruba westerners, Isacc Adaka Boro was an hero and a legend; but to all Bia-failed people or ill-jerk monkey (he was a criminal) just because he got back Port Harcourt and River state from the greedy Igbo people (just like how OJUKWU is a criminal to Ijaw people).
Let me do the math for you fool! Check from this Bia-failed link below to calculate your remaining landmass. http://www./Biafra%20facts%201967.htm
Birthday: May 30, 1967

Capital: Enugu (Umuahia from Oct. 1967)

Population: 15 million

Area: 30,000 sq. miles

Ethnic Groups: Igbo, Ibibio, Efik, Ogoja, Ijaw, etc.
Back then, the Bia-failed landmass was 26,000 sq. miles; but they claimed from the above website that it was 30,000 sq. miles, which I believe was a hoax.
Then, to satisfy you, I will use 30,000 sq. miles to do my calculation.
Here it goes: Multiply 30,000 sq. miles by 2.5 to convert it to Kilometer square = (75,000 km²)
Now, go back to Ethicity, just push Ibibio, Efik, Ogoja and Ijaw to the side (because if you ask them if they are Igbos, they will nearly got you bitten before they would reject it overthere dead body to be called Igbo).
This is what constitutes Igboland:
Anambra (4,844km²)
Enugu state (7,161 km2)
Imo state (5,530 km²)
Abia state (6,320km²)
Ebonyi state (5,530 km²)
Total is (29, 385 km²) not up to Kogi state (29,833 km²) talkless of Kwara state (36,825 km²)

Then,Efiks, Bekwara, Ibibio and Ejagham (own Cross river and Akwa Ibom) and they are 5 million strong

Cross river (20,215km²)
Akwa Ibom (7,081km²)
Total landmass is (27,296km²)

Then, Ijaw and Annago
Delta state (17,698 km²)
River state (14,201 km²)
Bayelsa state (10,773 km²)
Total landmass is (42, 672km²) if you add Edo (17,802 km²)
Total is (60,474km²) more than times two of the whole Bia-failed nation. Damn it, y’all just got donk son!

Taraba state 54,473 km²
Adamawa state (36,917km²)
Benue state (34,059 km²)
Total land Hausa took away from the East (125,449 km²). Haba! Y’all got donk again! In my own opinion, there is nothing like South East, since majority is from the North. Let’s put Bia-failed land with its (29, 385 km²) to the North. How about that son?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by SEFAGO(m): 3:55am On Jan 26, 2010
Man akigbemaru, I no go lie, u remind me of becomrich
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 3:59am On Jan 26, 2010
I want all polemic ibos on this forum to face me, I have shi.ted on every last one of you before and I may do it again. You know yourself fo.ols!
Not only ibo can talk or criticize, we Yorubas have been talking since inception of this world (Onlytraitor) that is when your people were still monkeys before we codify your language for you.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 4:03am On Jan 26, 2010
SEFAGO:

Man akigbemaru, I no go lie, u remind me of becomrich
I am not a Becomrich, I am not good with Core drawing or any type of cartography. I present facts, I will show you links. I will never stay there and let anybody downgrade almight Yoruba culture or its people. I will not let anybody rewrite my history because history has been made.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply)

TUC,Factional NLC Suspend Strike While Main NLC Continue Strike / Heinekin Lopkobiri Graduates From Leeds Beckett University / Fashola: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Second Niger Bridge To Be Ready By 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.