Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,081 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report (2286 Views)

Rivers: Heads May Roll As Army Panel Concludes Investigation / Taraba, Middle Belt Groups Reject Army Panel Report On Danjuma’s Allegation / IPOB: Chidoka Slams South-East Governors, Rejects Army’s Terrorism Tag On Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by myright: 4:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
The panel set up by the Nigerian army to investigate allegations of human right abuse levelled against some of its personnel on Friday said the US expressed dissatisfaction with its first report.

Nuhu Angbazo, chief of military/civil affairs, disclosed this during a press conference at the army headquarters on Friday.

Angbazo said based on the reaction of the US authorities, a special panel was set up to probe the allegations.

“Army headquarters conducted an investigation and disseminated the report to all relevant authorities, including the USA authority through the DA Washington,” he said.

“The USA, however, conveyed dissatisfaction with the report and requested that a more comprehensive inquiry be conducted. Thus a special BOI was constituted to investigate the allegations.”

The panel had been set up to investigate alleged human rights abuse levelled against the military by Amnesty International (AI).

In a report released earlier in the week, the panel had said the army was not guilty of the accusations but AI faulted the report, saying it was not thorough and also not independent.

However, Angbazo said findings of the panel showed how the process of investigating the detainees could be affected due to an inadequate number of investigators in the camps.

The panel’s report also revealed a small number of military police officers in charge of the detention camps in comparison with a large number of detainees.

“For example, at the Giwa Barracks detention facility, there was only one investigator allocated to a Boko Haram suspect,” the panel stated.

Private Daily Times Insider
Enter your details to get access to our private insider club

“We note that this limits the capability to extract max info from the suspects. Furthermore, this is contrary to global best practice of using a team of investigators including those from other relevant agencies to interrogate a suspect to determine culpability or otherwise.

“The board was concerned about the inmate to military police ratio especially in Giwa Barracks Detention facility, which holds high-profile inmates.

“The small number of handlers does not allow for relief of duties. This could result in fatigue or stress with predictable effects on the appropriate handling of detainees.”

It further noted that at the Giwa Barracks also, “there were 3,824 detainees… with 29 handlers monitoring the detention facility.”

The board also found out that a common feature evident in all the detention camps was the delay in the legal processing and trial of the detainees even as they were usually not allowed access to legal representation.

It regretted that releasing the detainees that had been cleared as having no case to answer is usually difficult due to lack of synergy between relevant agencies

“We note that this lack of coordination led to duplication of efforts which further compounded the congestion problem in these detention facilities,” the report further read.

On the alleged killing of some members of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), the board noted that contrary to the allegations, key parties it met on the issue said there were no reports of such killings.

“The board interacted with the Anambra state governor, commissioner of police, state director of Department of State Service and some residents,” it added.

“They testified that no one was killed during the incident at Onitsha bridgehead. However, the police report showed that 14 people were arrested on the day.”

https://dailytimes.ng/news/us-rejects-army-panel-report/amp/
Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by nototribalist: 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2017
Burutai don buy case. Just imagine Nigerian police saying no Ipob member was killed. Only that statement have shown that the united States army should please come and throw mother of all bombs in all Nigerian Army barracks

20 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by bantudra: 5:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
why is our army playing chicken for america??...for what??..is it not the same america and europe that finance amnesia international..??..how can they be unbiased in their reports...??..

1 Like

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Splinz(m): 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2017
Good. Maybe those animals in uniform will learn civility.

6 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by jlinkd78(m): 5:44pm On Jun 17, 2017
Gradually the stand of American govt on d ever rising Biafran agitation is unfolding. Anyone that still thinks d US is indifferent must be an ignoramus. Imagine d Army report saying they interviewed a sitting Governor whether there were killing of unarmed protesters and expect such questionnaire will stand d test of any research methodology. Once Buratai and his brutal killer squad begin to face d music, then others will learn a bitter lesson. If you don't understand ask those that said over their dead body will they see d new land of d rising sun what's up with their lives. Umu Chineke, its nearer than we might be expecting. All Hail Biafra

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by hammer6: 5:45pm On Jun 17, 2017
Buratai go hear am... They have drop Buhari and u are next.

U kill innocence, get ready to pay. Child Murderer!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by divads(m): 5:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nawa oo.. it's hard for me buratai

1 Like

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by kaltonga: 5:57pm On Jun 17, 2017
myright:
The panel set up by the Nigerian army to investigate allegations of human right abuse levelled against some of its personnel on Friday said the US expressed dissatisfaction with its first report.

Nuhu Angbazo, chief of military/civil affairs, disclosed this during a press conference at the army headquarters on Friday.

Angbazo said based on the reaction of the US authorities, a special panel was set up to probe the allegations.

“Army headquarters conducted an investigation and disseminated the report to all relevant authorities, including the USA authority through the DA Washington,” he said.

“The USA, however, conveyed dissatisfaction with the report and requested that a more comprehensive inquiry be conducted. Thus a special BOI was constituted to investigate the allegations.”

The panel had been set up to investigate alleged human rights abuse levelled against the military by Amnesty International (AI).

In a report released earlier in the week, the panel had said the army was not guilty of the accusations but AI faulted the report, saying it was not thorough and also not independent.

However, Angbazo said findings of the panel showed how the process of investigating the detainees could be affected due to an inadequate number of investigators in the camps.

The panel’s report also revealed a small number of military police officers in charge of the detention camps in comparison with a large number of detainees.

“For example, at the Giwa Barracks detention facility, there was only one investigator allocated to a Boko Haram suspect,” the panel stated.

Private Daily Times Insider
Enter your details to get access to our private insider club

“We note that this limits the capability to extract max info from the suspects. Furthermore, this is contrary to global best practice of using a team of investigators including those from other relevant agencies to interrogate a suspect to determine culpability or otherwise.

“The board was concerned about the inmate to military police ratio especially in Giwa Barracks Detention facility, which holds high-profile inmates.

“The small number of handlers does not allow for relief of duties. This could result in fatigue or stress with predictable effects on the appropriate handling of detainees.”

It further noted that at the Giwa Barracks also, “there were 3,824 detainees… with 29 handlers monitoring the detention facility.”

The board also found out that a common feature evident in all the detention camps was the delay in the legal processing and trial of the detainees even as they were usually not allowed access to legal representation.

It regretted that releasing the detainees that had been cleared as having no case to answer is usually difficult due to lack of synergy between relevant agencies

“We note that this lack of coordination led to duplication of efforts which further compounded the congestion problem in these detention facilities,” the report further read.

On the alleged killing of some members of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), the board noted that contrary to the allegations, key parties it met on the issue said there were no reports of such killings.

“The board interacted with the Anambra state governor, commissioner of police, state director of Department of State Service and some residents,” it added.

“They testified that no one was killed during the incident at Onitsha bridgehead. However, the police report showed that 14 people were arrested on the day.”

https://dailytimes.ng/news/us-rejects-army-panel-report/amp/
haha i remember some folks especially the afonjas and the we south south crew along with there co travelers,the B.M.C saying the court does not have jurisdiction over nigeria. calling Igbos daft people and all sort of names..today the soo called mushroom court in far away us is now shaking the army...the army is now dishing out there defense.
I came to understand that nairaland is filled with 60 percent kids,20 percent jobbers and government agents,10 percent sycophants,2 percent old fools, and 3 percent comedians,and 5 percent sane people..Thais the reason you hardly get sane discuss on this forum, i visit this sight for comic relief,noting more.
For the mediocre that talk down or dismiss the ipob movement will be shocked to the marrow when biafra is actualized, for those that come here deceiving themselves in the name of deceiving others that the niger delta will not join biafra or despise the freedom movement should be saving money to daigonise for cardiac arrest when the time comes.......time will always tell.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Dukechimi: 6:00pm On Jun 17, 2017
Good development. This wayo won't work forever

1 Like

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by ZZ22: 6:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
By the time IPOB is done with Nigeria they will learn to reason like human not animal. The same army that killed Biafran protesters set up a panel among themselves and expect us to believe whatever they come up with

15 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 17, 2017
Where's that guy way the disturb, telling me US district court has no jurisdiction over Nigerian abi no see say the have power and Authority over Nigeria
OK
Biafra is here No doubt about it
I wasn't in support of Biafra but now I support it I don't want to be an enemy to my Tribe

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Deltagiant: 7:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nigerian army should be more intelligent than being cowardly. Own up to your actions or you would lose the remaining little respect. When you tell them times are no longer those of the 60s.They wont listen

3 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by rainylad(f): 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
...Nigeria is in trouble...Unity beggars ntorr!!

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by enemybulldozer(m): 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
Where are those buffoonish abobakus That​ always shout " nigeria is a sovereign state" now, my question is.. is nigeria no longer a sovereign state??

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Omenkata: 10:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
enemybulldozer:
Where are those buffoonish abobakus That​ always shout " nigeria is a sovereign state" now, my question is.. is nigeria no longer a sovereign state??
ask
the ewedu eating scumbags.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by georgen2u(m): 10:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
The truth is Nigeria army bleeped up big time, using uncivilized fulanis as army was the highest mistake buhari made.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Ojiofor: 10:25pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nigerian governmment have been lying since 1966,having thought that they have gotten away with serious crimes against humanity from 66-70 have really emboldened them in committing atrocities against their own citizens till date. Justice will be served one day.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Tkester: 6:59am On Jun 18, 2017
Cc lalasticlala, mynd44, ishilove. This news is authentic and it deserves front page. Its a follow up of the case and counter case between IPoB and the Nigerian Army!

Please do justice to it!!

1 Like

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Igboesika: 7:30am On Jun 18, 2017
Ndi mgbati mgbati that were shouting "sovereign state sovereign state" where are you guys ?

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by eastsidechillz: 8:26am On Jun 18, 2017
Hizzy:
Where's that guy way the disturb, telling me US district court has no jurisdiction over Nigerian abi no see say the have power and Authority over Nigeria
OK
Biafra is here No doubt about it
I wasn't in support of Biafra but now I support it I don't want to be an enemy to my Tribe

Me self
Abi no support am but when I see the North threatening my brothers I have to join.

I will lay down mi life for mi brothers. That am certain.

But let them just allow these ingrate SS be. Am tired of the insult the great Igbo nation is getting from these ingrates.
Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 18, 2017
No peace for the wicked sad angry
Re: Biafra: American Government Rejects Army Panel Report by Nobody: 3:47am On Jun 20, 2017
eastsidechillz:

Me self
Abi no support am but when I see the North threatening my brothers I have to join.

I will lay down mi life for mi brothers. That am certain.

But let them just allow these ingrate SS be. Am tired of the insult the great Igbo nation is getting from these ingrates.
the thing is that some part of ss are Igbos so I don't want us to live any of our territory to Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Vs GTB: How Does A Private Commercial Matter Becomes EFCC Case? - Saraki / EPIC Reply To GEJ Propaganda Claim / Lagos Election, Ambode And The Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.