Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups (53104 Views)

Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria And Language Extinction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Eastfield1: 5:48am On Jun 23, 2017
laudate:

Huh? You were asked to provide proof, and you responded with ...... this?? shocked What a pity. sad
wetin you dey see from d guy big pass you.
that's why u didn't start ur comment with ur usual stupid laugh

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Eastfield1: 6:27am On Jun 23, 2017
Efewestern:

my brother I tire.... am not itsekiri, but I don't support nonsense.. the map even lump ilaje and a huge part of itsekiri as Ijaw land, all in a bid to connect with the little ijaw enclave in ondo and edo.

the guy you quoted knows nothing about Niger Deltans.
same reason some of them like Tonyebarcanista are fighting hard to lump Opobo into their Ijaw agenda so they can Connect to their dreamland of Eastern Obolo in Akwa Ibom state.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nonaira1: 7:59am On Jun 23, 2017
fratermathy:

Yes of course but you wouldn't know because YOU ARE NOT AN ANIOMA PERSON! You just created an account today, barely an hour ago, just to propagate your nuisance. Impersonating ethnicities just to prove which point exactly? That you are smart or to use the Aniomas to score some cheap points? Possibly to like posts created in your alternate monikers?

Google Ugbodu, Olukumi, Aniocha South LGA. While at it, also check on Ebu (Oshimili North) that speaks Igala. Thank me for educating you later.

Will you shut that your mouth up. The Ugbodu may claim they descended from yoruba but they are in no way, shape or form Yoruba. We have nothing yorubaoid in Aniomaland!! My sister literally just married into that community like 2 months ago and although I've been known they assimilated into the Igbo culture entirely, the wedding itself and being around them confirmed what I and almost every anioma all been known despite yoruba pitiful attempt to use the media to extend their oily, greedy hands towards our territory. Stay the f2k away from our territory!!! There's nothing Yoruba, yorubaoid, or whatever in our territory.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nonaira1: 8:06am On Jun 23, 2017
Eastfield1:

wow.
pazienza
come and See this Guy o.
I thought it's only Nonaira1,ikechuks and DelticStephen are the only Aniomas that can fight this Dirty.

To be honest I understand what pissed him off on this page. That urhobo nigga have been trying desperately to create animosity between anioma clans as well as anioma and SE. It irritates the living sh1t out of me each time I see that tribalist with his pitiful write up hence I go off at him, therefore, I'm not shocked another reacted that way. Hilarious how he put him in his place real quick. I don't even know why a delta south seems so invested in talking about delta north. You rarely see any anioma speak on delta south but on this forum and other media, you always see them speaking for us. This is among the reason why I support Anioma state tremendously. Living with them have been nothing but a fucking curse. They destroyed the fucking state though their continuous greediness. You would think they'll leave us the f2k alone considering we have to suffer the mess of an unprogressive state due to their greed. No? Instead, they still want to dictate to us about our own damn selves. Then Bleep? Kudos to TheUmbra and others likes him that spoke up. If I was cc here earlier, I would have helped you. Kudos my nigga.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by onuwaje(m): 8:24am On Jun 23, 2017
i was banned by the DSS for trying to list out the communities in Warri South LGA

na wa sha

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by TheUmbra: 9:51am On Jun 23, 2017
fratermathy:

You only succeeded in ranting. When you are ready to show everyone exactly how I did what you initially accused me of then come and do so. Otherwise, you may keep your rants to yourself.

Everyone who reads this altercation knows you didn't make any point. The little points you would have made were diluted with the hate you spewed, thus making your argument more of a vendetta than anything else. I choose to be better than you and your people!

Your people are the worst of a kind; weighed down by poor family values and cheap alcohol (Ogogoro).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by TheUmbra: 10:44am On Jun 23, 2017
Fearlez:

A descendant from a tribe of petty thieves with unquenchable lust for polygamy with little means to cater for the flock...I bet your upbringing is like the average urhobos; overcrowded, meat-rationing on Sundays and poor ventilated like a cattle breeding ground.

Take a look at your cities, warri is like a glorified village because the urhobos don't have the ability for development, few itsekiri quarters like Oguwangwe, esisi gra, ode-itsekiri are well developed, while your okumagba layout is like a backwater cesspit where humans not worth the breath in their lungs dwell.

If not for the urhobos, warri would have been another portharcourt, Lagos, Onitsha and Kaduna, but these wastes of humanities introduced deve (extortion) on anyone trying to build properties on thier land. They even task federal and state governments contractors before allowing them to work on projects like roads and bridges.

You're cussed, every single one of your tribesman is infinitely lesser than unhinged primates sniffing the dirt in the Serengeti.

A malicious regurgitation of nature's worst product like you is trying to divide a people greater in birth and breeding than a pack of uncultured dogs like you urhobos. Little itsekiri cleaned you out of warri south and you think your people are worth God's effort at creation?

I didn't see you dividing the urhobos into ethnicity according to dialect even when effurun speaks distinctively from abraka and others...

Born slave

Please Sir, Warri is not an Urhobo town. Even though they're largely responsible for its squalor. Warri remains an Itsekiri town, with a recognised first class king, the Olu of Warri.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Fearlez: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2017
TheUmbra:

Please Sir, Warri is not an Urhobo town. Even though they're largely responsible for its squalor. Warri remains an Itsekiri town, with a recognised first class king, the Olu of Warri.
it was an error. These igbe worshipers are vagabonds having no first class king in a first ass town in delta state

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Fearlez: 10:58am On Jun 23, 2017
laudate:

Huh? You were asked to provide proof, and you responded with ...... this?? shocked What a pity. sad

This one is even worse than the poo of a poorly fed dog.

3 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by yom2(m): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2017
fratermathy:
Nigeria is a multi-ethnic nation with diverse ethnicities. Many foreigners, and even Nigerians belonging to majority ethnic groups, have little to no knowledge of the various minority ethnic groups that proliferate the nation. What comes to mind when they think of Nigeria is that there are only the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa ethnicities. This view is sustained because the Nigerian constitution recognises only those three ethnic groups as the major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Every other ethnic group is treated as a minority ethnic group.

The concept of a minority ethnic group is quite faulty in the Nigerian context. Some ethnicities that are deemed to be minorities have well over 2 million people (a minority ethnic group in the real sense should have a population of 1 million or less). However, within the Nigerian context, if you are not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa, you are a minority. The big three (WaZoBia) have always been at the centre of Nigerian politics and history. Only a few enlightened persons know much about Nigeria's other 250+ ethnic groups. Even those who know them have various misconceptions about the ethnicities. The situation is so bad that many Yorubas, Hausas, Igbos and even those from minority groups, assume that the minorities in the South are all Igboid or Igbo sub-groups, while those in the North are all Hausas or Hausa sub-groups.

This thread will attempt to state some facts about Nigeria's minority groups as a means of educating Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike. My focus will be on the minority groups in the South-South geo-political region and parts of the middle-belt region of Nigeria (both regions were created exclusively for minorities). There are also many minorities in Nigeria's North but they deserve another thread entirely.

1. The Urhobo ethnic group occupy Delta Central/South senatorial districts and is the most dominant ethnic group in Delta State. They share the same culture and worldview with the Isoko of Delta State (both are regarded as one group by many persons).

2. Ijaw is regarded by many as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with Urhobo coming as 5th (contested claims). Efik-Ibibio also claims to the be the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. The Tiv are also regarded by some as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. No proper and current census has been done to validate the many population claims.

3. Itsekiri is a Yoruboid ethnic group whose ancestors were migrant fishermen of Ijebu, Ikale and Ilaje sub-groups of the Yorubas. However, their monarchy is of Bini descent and this created a hybrid culture with elements from Yoruba, Bini and their neighbours, Urhobo and Ijaw.

4. The first person to get a university degree in Nigeria was an Itsekiri king. His name was Dom Domingos (Atuwatse I). He graduated from Coimbra University, Portugal, in 1611. He also married a Portuguese woman. The Itsekiris are among the first group to make contact with the western world and due to their hospitality and warmness, that early contact favoured them quite well.

5. There are more than 20 ethnic groups in Cross River Central and North that are not related to Efik. Many of these ethnic groups speak languages that are regarded as Bantoid (from Bantu). Some of them are Ejagham (Ekoid), Boki, Bekwarra, Bette-Bendi, Ikom, Leggbo, etc.

6. The ethnic groups in Cross River South and Akwa Ibom form a cluster known as the Akwa-Cross cluster. All of the languages in the cluster are related and mutually intelligible to speakers. However, they are all regarded as separate ethnicities. Efik is spoken in Cross River South (Calabar and environs), Ibibio is the largest ethnicity in this cluster and it is spoken in Akwa Ibom (Uyo and environs), Anaang is spoken in Ikot Ekpene and environs, Oron (Oro) is spoken in Oron town and environs, while Ekid (Eket) is spoken in Eket, Esit Eket and environs.

7. The Andoni ethnic group of Rivers and Akwa Ibom is related to both the Ijaw and the Ibeno (Ibibioid) ethnic groups. Andoni people occupy the coastal areas of Rivers (Andoni LGA) and Akwa Ibom States (Eastern Obolo LGA).

8. The Isoko ethnicity of Delta State used to be regarded as Eastern Urhobo until 1958 when James Otobo moved a motion for a separate Isoko province. This marked the beginning of a separate Isoko political identity. Isokos share the same culture and worldviews with Urhobos but they speak a different dialect that many Urhobos cannot understand.

9. The Ogoni ethnic group of Rivers State occupy 4 LGAs (Tai, Eleme, Khana and Gokana). They all speak different dialects of Ogoni language. Eleme in particular claims to be a different ethnicity from the Ogoni.

10. The Idoma people of Benue State trace their history to the Kwararafa confederation of the Junkun, in modern day Taraba State. They have historical and cultural ties with the Igala.

11. The Baruba people of Kwara State are split into Nigeria and Benin Republic. They are a very reserved people and have strong Islamic values.

12. The Gbagyi people are the most populated ethnicity indigenous to Abuja, Nigeria's Federal Capital. They also occupy Kaduna, Kogi, Nasarrawa and Niger States. They are called Gwari by the Hausa-Fulani people. Nigeria's former military ruler, Gen. Babangida is a Gbagyi man.

13. The Nupe people occupy Kwara and Niger States. They are predominantly Muslims and have an emirate known as Bida Emirate. Nupe people are reserved, agrarian and peaceful.

14. Islam was introduced to the Etsako people (Auchi and environs) of Edo State by the Nupe people.

15. Epie-Atissa (Yenagoa) people, Engenni (Rivers), Degema (Rivers), Urhobo-Isoko (Delta), Esan, Bini, Etsako, Afenmai, and others in Edo State are all Edoid groups. Their ancestry can be traced to Benin and they speak loosely related and mutually unintelligible languages. They are all regarded as different ethnicities, with the exception of Epie-Atissa which has joined the Ijaw confederation.

16. The Anioma people of Delta State (Delta North- Asaba and environs) speak related Igboid languages. Anioma is an acronym for Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, and Oshimili (subgroups comprising what is regarded as Delta Igbo). However, these groups are constitutionally acknowledged as different ethnicities and they speak different dialects, apart from the Enuani (Aniocha and Oshimili) who speak a dialect of Igbo very close to Onitsha dialect.

17. Ikwerre, Ekpeye and Ogba (Akalaka brothers) speak loosely related Igboid languages. They trace their history to Benin like the Edoid groups. Ikwerre is the dominant ethnic group in Rivers State.

18. There is no language known as "Ijaw" language. Ijaw is an ethnic marker for the confederation of ethnicities that chose to identify as Ijaw. The main language many of the core Ijaw people speak is called Izon, with Kolukoma-Opukuma regarded as the standard written dialect. Other languages spoken by the Ijaws include Nembe, Ogbia (a Cross River Language), Epie-Atissa (Edoid language), Kalabari, Okrika, Nkoroo, Defaka, etc. Nigeria's former president, Goodluck Jonathan, speaks Ogbia, while his wife, Patience Jonathan, speaks Okrika.

19. The standard variety of Urhobo is Agbarho dialect while that of Isoko is Uzere dialect. Other dialects in the Urhobo-Isoko cluster include Uvwie, Okpe, and Erhowa.

20. Itsekiri has no dialects. The language is the same in all Itsekiri locales. It is one of the few languages in Nigeria with this feature.

21. The Tiv (Benue), Junkun (Taraba), and Kuteb (Taraba) people were once together in a federation known as the Wukari Federation. The fall of this Federation marked the outwards migration of the constituent groups, especially the Tiv.

22. The Ebira people of Kogi State trace their history to the Kwararafa Federation, the Junkun successor to the Wukari Federation. They are predominantly Muslims. They occupy Okene and its environs.

23. The Igala people of Kogi State have historical and cultural ties with the Igbo people but they speak a Yoruboid language. A few scholars claim that the Igalas migrated from Umueri. Other scholars claim that Igalas are a hybrid of Idoma and Yoruba.

24. There are over twenty ethnic groups in Plateau State. Many of them have shared beliefs, religion and world view. Among them are the Berom (Jos and environs), Tarok, Afizere, Kofyar, Jarawa, among others. They speak loosely related languages and many use Hausa for inter-ethnic communication. Christianity is the dominant religion among the minorities in Plateau State.

25. There are over twenty ethnic groups in Kaduna State. Many of them have a largely Christian heritage and are dominant in Southern Kaduna. Among them are Gbagyi, Gwong, Atuku, Bajju, Atyab, Gure and Ninkyop. Many of the Southern Kaduna people can speak and understand Hausa.

26. The Olukumi people of Delta State are Yoruboid and they are surrounded on all sides by the Delta Igbos (Aniochas). Most of them are coordinate speakers of Igbo and Olukumi (a Yoruboid language). They are the micro-minorities of Delta State and their language is faced with extinction.

27. There is no ethnic group known as "Edo". Edo is a word that describes a variety of ethnic groups with a common origin although many use it to refer to the Bini people. Edo is actually the name of a slave which an Oba appropriated to his empire after the slave saved his life. The ethnic groups that are described as Edoid have only little in common. Their languages are not mutually intelligible and their cultural beliefs are quite distinct. The ethnic group occupying Benin City is the Bini people.

28. The Ikas and Ukwuanis of Delta State trace their origin to modern day Edo. According to their myths, their ancestors were migrants from Benin. However, they speak Igboid languages, not Edoid languages.

29. Some minority languages are taught at the primary, secondary and university levels in Nigeria. The languages that are taught at the university level include: Urhobo (Delta State University, Abraka), Izon (Niger Delta University, Amassoma and University of Port Harcourt, Choba), Ikwerre (University of Port Harcourt, Choba), Bini (University of Benin), and Efik-Ibibio (University of Calabar and University of Uyo). Many others are taught at the College of Education level.

30. All of Nigeria's commercial crude deposits are within the territories of minority ethnic groups in the South-South region of Nigeria. The highest producers of the nation's crude include the Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo-Isoko, Eket, Oron, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba and Ukwuani. Small quantities of crude oil can also found in Ondo (Yoruba), Abia (Ukwa East & West -Igbo) and Imo (Egbema & Oguta). Lagos State (Yoruba) has recently joined the league of oil producing states in Nigeria and oil has been discovered in the Lake Chad Basin (Kanuri) of North Eastern Nigeria.

Bonus: Apart from crude oil, Nigeria's minorities are blessed with intellectuals (Urhobo, for instance, is said to have one of the highest concentration of Professors, Medical Doctors and Lawyers in Nigeria), mineral resources (Urhobo also has the highest gas deposits in Nigeria, gold is present in Plateau State), rich culture (the Ijaws and Itsekiris have various boat regattas and amazing festivals), historical monarchies (the Bini monarchy, the Itsekiri monarchy, the Calabar (Efik) monarchy, the Igala monarchy, the Nupe monarchy, the Jos monarchy, etc), tourist attractions (Calabar Carnival, Port Harcourt Book Festival, Ox-Bow Lake in Bayelsa, Oba of Benin's Palace, Confluence of Rivers Niger and Benue at Lokoja, etc) and many other natural and human resources.

These are only some of the interesting facts about Nigeria's various minority ethnic groups. Do you know of other interesting facts? Kindly comment and keep the thread moving. You may also comment if you spot any error(s) or misconception(s).

- Written by Iroro Orhero (literarymathy[at]gmail.com).
- Do not copy without acknowledging the writer and/or the source.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by yom2(m): 1:48pm On Jun 23, 2017
fratermathy:
Pictures representing some of Nigeria's minority ethnic groups

1. Delta Minorities

2. Ethnic Map of Some SS groups, excluding Yoruba and Igbo
[img]http://tracingafricanroots.files./2016/09/img_1194.png?w=869[/img]

3. Ethnic Groups in Benue State

4. Ethnic Groups in Cross River State

5. Map showing the position of Ebira People in Kogi State

fratermathy:
Nigeria is a multi-ethnic nation with diverse ethnicities. Many foreigners, and even Nigerians belonging to majority ethnic groups, have little to no knowledge of the various minority ethnic groups that proliferate the nation. What comes to mind when they think of Nigeria is that there are only the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa ethnicities. This view is sustained because the Nigerian constitution recognises only those three ethnic groups as the major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Every other ethnic group is treated as a minority ethnic group.

The concept of a minority ethnic group is quite faulty in the Nigerian context. Some ethnicities that are deemed to be minorities have well over 2 million people (a minority ethnic group in the real sense should have a population of 1 million or less). However, within the Nigerian context, if you are not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa, you are a minority. The big three (WaZoBia) have always been at the centre of Nigerian politics and history. Only a few enlightened persons know much about Nigeria's other 250+ ethnic groups. Even those who know them have various misconceptions about the ethnicities. The situation is so bad that many Yorubas, Hausas, Igbos and even those from minority groups, assume that the minorities in the South are all Igboid or Igbo sub-groups, while those in the North are all Hausas or Hausa sub-groups.

This thread will attempt to state some facts about Nigeria's minority groups as a means of educating Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike. My focus will be on the minority groups in the South-South geo-political region and parts of the middle-belt region of Nigeria (both regions were created exclusively for minorities). There are also many minorities in Nigeria's North but they deserve another thread entirely.

1. The Urhobo ethnic group occupy Delta Central/South senatorial districts and is the most dominant ethnic group in Delta State. They share the same culture and worldview with the Isoko of Delta State (both are regarded as one group by many persons).

2. Ijaw is regarded by many as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with Urhobo coming as 5th (contested claims). Efik-Ibibio also claims to the be the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. The Tiv are also regarded by some as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. No proper and current census has been done to validate the many population claims.

3. Itsekiri is a Yoruboid ethnic group whose ancestors were migrant fishermen of Ijebu, Ikale and Ilaje sub-groups of the Yorubas. However, their monarchy is of Bini descent and this created a hybrid culture with elements from Yoruba, Bini and their neighbours, Urhobo and Ijaw.

4. The first person to get a university degree in Nigeria was an Itsekiri king. His name was Dom Domingos (Atuwatse I). He graduated from Coimbra University, Portugal, in 1611. He also married a Portuguese woman. The Itsekiris are among the first group to make contact with the western world and due to their hospitality and warmness, that early contact favoured them quite well.

5. There are more than 20 ethnic groups in Cross River Central and North that are not related to Efik. Many of these ethnic groups speak languages that are regarded as Bantoid (from Bantu). Some of them are Ejagham (Ekoid), Boki, Bekwarra, Bette-Bendi, Ikom, Leggbo, etc.

6. The ethnic groups in Cross River South and Akwa Ibom form a cluster known as the Akwa-Cross cluster. All of the languages in the cluster are related and mutually intelligible to speakers. However, they are all regarded as separate ethnicities. Efik is spoken in Cross River South (Calabar and environs), Ibibio is the largest ethnicity in this cluster and it is spoken in Akwa Ibom (Uyo and environs), Anaang is spoken in Ikot Ekpene and environs, Oron (Oro) is spoken in Oron town and environs, while Ekid (Eket) is spoken in Eket, Esit Eket and environs.

7. The Andoni ethnic group of Rivers and Akwa Ibom is related to both the Ijaw and the Ibeno (Ibibioid) ethnic groups. Andoni people occupy the coastal areas of Rivers (Andoni LGA) and Akwa Ibom States (Eastern Obolo LGA).

8. The Isoko ethnicity of Delta State used to be regarded as Eastern Urhobo until 1958 when James Otobo moved a motion for a separate Isoko province. This marked the beginning of a separate Isoko political identity. Isokos share the same culture and worldviews with Urhobos but they speak a different dialect that many Urhobos cannot understand.

9. The Ogoni ethnic group of Rivers State occupy 4 LGAs (Tai, Eleme, Khana and Gokana). They all speak different dialects of Ogoni language. Eleme in particular claims to be a different ethnicity from the Ogoni.

10. The Idoma people of Benue State trace their history to the Kwararafa confederation of the Junkun, in modern day Taraba State. They have historical and cultural ties with the Igala.

11. The Baruba people of Kwara State are split into Nigeria and Benin Republic. They are a very reserved people and have strong Islamic values.

12. The Gbagyi people are the most populated ethnicity indigenous to Abuja, Nigeria's Federal Capital. They also occupy Kaduna, Kogi, Nasarrawa and Niger States. They are called Gwari by the Hausa-Fulani people. Nigeria's former military ruler, Gen. Babangida is a Gbagyi man.

13. The Nupe people occupy Kwara and Niger States. They are predominantly Muslims and have an emirate known as Bida Emirate. Nupe people are reserved, agrarian and peaceful.

14. Islam was introduced to the Etsako people (Auchi and environs) of Edo State by the Nupe people.

15. Epie-Atissa (Yenagoa) people, Engenni (Rivers), Degema (Rivers), Urhobo-Isoko (Delta), Esan, Bini, Etsako, Afenmai, and others in Edo State are all Edoid groups. Their ancestry can be traced to Benin and they speak loosely related and mutually unintelligible languages. They are all regarded as different ethnicities, with the exception of Epie-Atissa which has joined the Ijaw confederation.

16. The Anioma people of Delta State (Delta North- Asaba and environs) speak related Igboid languages. Anioma is an acronym for Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, and Oshimili (subgroups comprising what is regarded as Delta Igbo). However, these groups are constitutionally acknowledged as different ethnicities and they speak different dialects, apart from the Enuani (Aniocha and Oshimili) who speak a dialect of Igbo very close to Onitsha dialect.

17. Ikwerre, Ekpeye and Ogba (Akalaka brothers) speak loosely related Igboid languages. They trace their history to Benin like the Edoid groups. Ikwerre is the dominant ethnic group in Rivers State.

18. There is no language known as "Ijaw" language. Ijaw is an ethnic marker for the confederation of ethnicities that chose to identify as Ijaw. The main language many of the core Ijaw people speak is called Izon, with Kolukoma-Opukuma regarded as the standard written dialect. Other languages spoken by the Ijaws include Nembe, Ogbia (a Cross River Language), Epie-Atissa (Edoid language), Kalabari, Okrika, Nkoroo, Defaka, etc. Nigeria's former president, Goodluck Jonathan, speaks Ogbia, while his wife, Patience Jonathan, speaks Okrika.

19. The standard variety of Urhobo is Agbarho dialect while that of Isoko is Uzere dialect. Other dialects in the Urhobo-Isoko cluster include Uvwie, Okpe, and Erhowa.

20. Itsekiri has no dialects. The language is the same in all Itsekiri locales. It is one of the few languages in Nigeria with this feature.

21. The Tiv (Benue), Junkun (Taraba), and Kuteb (Taraba) people were once together in a federation known as the Wukari Federation. The fall of this Federation marked the outwards migration of the constituent groups, especially the Tiv.

22. The Ebira people of Kogi State trace their history to the Kwararafa Federation, the Junkun successor to the Wukari Federation. They are predominantly Muslims. They occupy Okene and its environs.

23. The Igala people of Kogi State have historical and cultural ties with the Igbo people but they speak a Yoruboid language. A few scholars claim that the Igalas migrated from Umueri. Other scholars claim that Igalas are a hybrid of Idoma and Yoruba.

24. There are over twenty ethnic groups in Plateau State. Many of them have shared beliefs, religion and world view. Among them are the Berom (Jos and environs), Tarok, Afizere, Kofyar, Jarawa, among others. They speak loosely related languages and many use Hausa for inter-ethnic communication. Christianity is the dominant religion among the minorities in Plateau State.

25. There are over twenty ethnic groups in Kaduna State. Many of them have a largely Christian heritage and are dominant in Southern Kaduna. Among them are Gbagyi, Gwong, Atuku, Bajju, Atyab, Gure and Ninkyop. Many of the Southern Kaduna people can speak and understand Hausa.

26. The Olukumi people of Delta State are Yoruboid and they are surrounded on all sides by the Delta Igbos (Aniochas). Most of them are coordinate speakers of Igbo and Olukumi (a Yoruboid language). They are the micro-minorities of Delta State and their language is faced with extinction.

27. There is no ethnic group known as "Edo". Edo is a word that describes a variety of ethnic groups with a common origin although many use it to refer to the Bini people. Edo is actually the name of a slave which an Oba appropriated to his empire after the slave saved his life. The ethnic groups that are described as Edoid have only little in common. Their languages are not mutually intelligible and their cultural beliefs are quite distinct. The ethnic group occupying Benin City is the Bini people.

28. The Ikas and Ukwuanis of Delta State trace their origin to modern day Edo. According to their myths, their ancestors were migrants from Benin. However, they speak Igboid languages, not Edoid languages.

29. Some minority languages are taught at the primary, secondary and university levels in Nigeria. The languages that are taught at the university level include: Urhobo (Delta State University, Abraka), Izon (Niger Delta University, Amassoma and University of Port Harcourt, Choba), Ikwerre (University of Port Harcourt, Choba), Bini (University of Benin), and Efik-Ibibio (University of Calabar and University of Uyo). Many others are taught at the College of Education level.

30. All of Nigeria's commercial crude deposits are within the territories of minority ethnic groups in the South-South region of Nigeria. The highest producers of the nation's crude include the Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo-Isoko, Eket, Oron, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba and Ukwuani. Small quantities of crude oil can also found in Ondo (Yoruba), Abia (Ukwa East & West -Igbo) and Imo (Egbema & Oguta). Lagos State (Yoruba) has recently joined the league of oil producing states in Nigeria and oil has been discovered in the Lake Chad Basin (Kanuri) of North Eastern Nigeria.

Bonus: Apart from crude oil, Nigeria's minorities are blessed with intellectuals (Urhobo, for instance, is said to have one of the highest concentration of Professors, Medical Doctors and Lawyers in Nigeria), mineral resources (Urhobo also has the highest gas deposits in Nigeria, gold is present in Plateau State), rich culture (the Ijaws and Itsekiris have various boat regattas and amazing festivals), historical monarchies (the Bini monarchy, the Itsekiri monarchy, the Calabar (Efik) monarchy, the Igala monarchy, the Nupe monarchy, the Jos monarchy, etc), tourist attractions (Calabar Carnival, Port Harcourt Book Festival, Ox-Bow Lake in Bayelsa, Oba of Benin's Palace, Confluence of Rivers Niger and Benue at Lokoja, etc) and many other natural and human resources.

These are only some of the interesting facts about Nigeria's various minority ethnic groups. Do you know of other interesting facts? Kindly comment and keep the thread moving. You may also comment if you spot any error(s) or misconception(s).

- Written by Iroro Orhero (literarymathy[at]gmail.com).
- Do not copy without acknowledging the writer and/or the source.
part of d problem is two many division in nigeria dat leads to hysteria. We have a python, a cobra, a mamber, a viper. Now because u are a viper with yellowish or greenish tail, does it change d fact dat u are a viper? So accept u are a viper
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nicho118(m): 6:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
Efewestern:

Okay I agree now, fratermathy is right after all, BTW what do you think about central ughelli dialect, don't you think it's easier to learn too?
they are all basically similar
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 7:24pm On Jun 23, 2017
laudate:

And you just had to respond in this sly, insulting manner....now, why am I not surprised? shocked Typical!
cool cool cool

2 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 7:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
Eastfield1:

Ignore the fool nwanna m.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 10:32pm On Jun 23, 2017
Fearlez:
This one is even worse than the poo of a poorly fed dog.
Yeah...thanks for letting us all know that you are actually the 'poo of a poorly fed dog.' sad That attribute must have been conferred upon you at birth.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 10:45pm On Jun 23, 2017
Eastfield1:

So with all what has been said on this thread, this is the best you can come up with? Eeyah.... so na ordinary laugh dey vex you? shocked cheesy grin Your problems are plenty, bro'! It is so sad that you have been reduced to this level. sad Accept my condolences... sad
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 2:02am On Jun 24, 2017
laudate:

So with all what has been said on this thread, this is the best you can come up with? Eeyah.... so na ordinary laugh dey vex you? shocked cheesy grin Your problems are plenty, bro'! It is so sad that you have been reduced to this level. sad Accept my condolences... sad
It's actually sad that you've been reduced to your own level.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 2:04am On Jun 24, 2017
Probz:
It's actually sad that you've been reduced to your own level.

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 3:43am On Jun 24, 2017
author=laudate post=57796536]
Of course you're free to go. Gawa.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Eastfield1: 3:46am On Jun 24, 2017
laudate:

lolz
well said probz

3 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 9:09am On Jun 24, 2017
laudate:

Yeah...thanks for letting us all know that you are actually the 'poo of a poorly fed dog.' sad That attribute must have been conferred upon you at birth.
congenital slowpokes like you always reply with the same words they were schlong with. This characterises even your usual posts here; dumb, slow, unimaginative and weak as your father's penís which can only produce a mentally stagnant idiot like you.

Oya, reply me with my own words back.

Genetically predisposed dummy-dumb-dumb

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by AliasJoice(f): 9:29am On Jun 24, 2017
pls...i want to learn idoma but i cant seem to find a thread for that.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 1:25pm On Jun 24, 2017
Shroud:
congenital slowpokes like you always reply with the same words they were schlong with. This characterises even your usual posts here; dumb, slow, unimaginative and weak as your father's penís which can only produce a mentally stagnant idiot like you.

Oya, reply me with my own words back.

Genetically predisposed dummy-dumb-dumb

Oh, there is no need to reply you back in your own words. undecided Thank God everyone on NL can read. Since you have just announced to the whole world that you are a 'congenital slowpoke, schlong, dumb, slow, unimaginative and weak as your father's penís, mentally stagnant idiot, Genetically predisposed dummy-dumb-dumb...' , why should I spoil your fun? shocked You even brought your father's genitals into the conversation. Wow!! shocked Is that how little you respect your own father? Anyway, continue describing yourself with such negative words. It shows the amount of self-hate you have in your soul. Who am I to deprive you of your fun? Here, have the floor.... cheesy Feel free to continue ranting...

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 1:26pm On Jun 24, 2017
Probz:
Of course you're free to go. Gawa.

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2017
laudate:

Oh, there is no need to reply you back in your own words. undecided Thank God everyone on NL can read. Since you have just announced to the whole world that you are a 'congenital slowpoke, schlong, dumb, slow, unimaginative and weak as your father's penís, mentally stagnant idiot, Genetically predisposed dummy-dumb-dumb...' , so why should I spoil your fun? shocked You even brought your father's genitals into the conversation. Wow!! shocked Is that how little you respect your own father? Anyway, continue describing yourself with such negative words. It shows the amount of self-hate you have in your soul. Who am I to deprive you of your fun? Here, have the floor.... cheesy Feel free to continue ranting...

In one sentence he denies he flings my own words back at me and in the very next, he actually throws my own words back !!!

No one needs further proof you inherited your lack of honour from your mother who is a dirt-cheap drab selling for as low as a bottle of water.

When two hood rats lower in breeding than a pack of hungry street dogs decided to fúck, they end up producing a mentally incapacitated imbecilé like you.

Inferior swine from a family of ogogoro-drinking peasants.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 1:49pm On Jun 24, 2017
[quote author=laudate post=57806060][/quote] when you're not plagiarising your adversary's expletives shamelessly, you're copying generic memes on the internet as reply.

If this level of unimaginative stagnant improvisation is what your father's weak semen can produce, I don't see why he shouldn't swap you for a pack cigarette and get a match box as bonus
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2017
Shroud:
In one sentence he denies he flings my own words back at me and in the very next, he actually throws my own words back !!!

No one needs further proof you inherited your lack of honour from your mother who is a dirt-cheap drab selling for as low as a bottle of water.

When two hood rats lower in breeding than a pack of hungry street dogs decided to fúck, they end up producing a mentally incapacitated imbecilé like you.

Inferior swine from a family of ogogoro-drinking peasants.
Shroud:
when you're not plagiarising your adversary's expletives shamelessly, you're copying generic memes on the internet as reply.

If this level of unimaginative stagnant improvisation is what your father's weak semen can produce, I don't see why he shouldn't swap you for a pack cigarette and get a match box as bonus
Beautiful... wink I expected you to respond with another rant, describing yourself in rather foul language and you did not disappoint me. cheesy Thanks a lot, for letting everyone know that "you lack honour from your mother who is a dirt-cheap drab selling for as low as a bottle of water,' and you are 'hood rats lower in breeding than a pack of hungry street dogs decided to fúck,' as well as 'a mentally incapacitated imbecilé like you...Inferior swine from a family of ogogoro-drinking peasants...' Now, you have even brought your poor mum into the conversation! Guy, thanks for the free entertainment!! grin Daalu zi! Don't stop, please.... cheesy

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 1:58pm On Jun 24, 2017
laudate:

Beautiful... wink I expected you to respond with another rant, describing yourself in rather foul language and you did not disappoint me. cheesy Thanks a lot, for letting everyone know that "you lack honour from your mother who is a dirt-cheap drab selling for as low as a bottle of water,' and you are 'hood rats lower in breeding than a pack of hungry street dogs decided to fúck,' as well as 'a mentally incapacitated imbecilé like you...Inferior swine from a family of ogogoro-drinking peasants...' Now, you have even brought your poor mum into the conversation! Guy, thanks for the free entertainment!! grin Daalu zi! Don't stop, please.... cheesy
grin grin grin I understand what I'm doing to you. My words pierce your heart , knowing you lack the wits to band words together you resolve to throwing it back hoping it will catch....nah.

The reason you and your lineage are considered second class citizens in Warri South local government is because you are mundane, unmotivated and mentally lazy. That's why itsekiri of less than a hundred thousand has made you a vagabonding idiot without ancestral history.

Cussed son of a drunken lackey.

Your father owes humanity incalculable debt-- bringing a bastard like you whose life holds as much value as the contents of a sewage pit-- an apology

Son of a cheap prostitute

2 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 2:04pm On Jun 24, 2017
Sausage, what's happening? Your brain is having a fatigue even at copying my own words back to me ? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2017
Shroud:
grin grin grin I understand what I'm doing to you. My words pierce your heart , knowing you lack the wits to band words together you resolve to throwing it back hoping it will catch....nah.

The reason you and your lineage are considered second class citizens in Warri South local government is because you are mundane, unmotivated and mentally lazy. That's why itsekiri of less than a hundred thousand has made you a vagabonding idiot without ancestral history.

Cussed son of a drunken lackey.

Your father owes humanity incalculable debt-- bringing bastard like you whose life holds as much value as the contents of a sewage pit an --apology

Son of a cheap prostitute

ROFLMAO!! cheesy Pierce... what?? shocked Hehehe...who would take the words of a clown like you seriously? cheesy shocked Everyone can read, and they can all see that you suffer from a deep-rooted psychotic problem. Accept my sympathy. We all know you are so deeply pained, that is why you resorted to expletives. Hehehehe... cheesy

Now where was I? Yes, you just called yourself the 'a vagabonding idiot without ancestral history..... Cussed son of a drunken lackey.... Your father owes humanity incalculable debt-- bringing bastard like you whose life holds as much value as the contents of a sewage pit an --apology....Son of a cheap prostitute....' Those words are a befitting description of you! wink Eeyah, tell the truth. sad An Itsekiri man must have dealt with you a long time ago. That is why you are still carrying the pain deep within your heart.

Anyway, Laudate is not Itsekiri. So let me leave the Itsekiri folks to give you a befitting answer. undecided Just continue ranting online and providing us all with more entertainment. Daalu!

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 2:28pm On Jun 24, 2017
Try manning up and replying people with direct words and not gifs laudate. You're not funny.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

How Much Do Things Cost In Nigeria? / New Photos Of Saadatu Lamido, Emir Sanusi's Wife In UK / The Statue Of The Three Lagos White Cap Chiefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.