Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,352 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups (52903 Views)

Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria And Language Extinction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 6:03am On Jun 30, 2017
The perverted hebephrenic's got about a month of partial sanity left before he's eating out of dustbins and getting chased around by kids.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by TheUmbra: 9:00am On Jun 30, 2017
Probz:
The perverted hebephrenic's got about a month of partial sanity left before he's eating out of dustbins and getting chased around by kids.

Probz:
The presence of schizophrenia and mental retardation in the same patient isn't an uncommon co-occurrence. He's in a permanent state of regression.

Probz:
A very peculiar case of late-onset hebephrenia. Insidious progression as is the norm. He'll eventually become florid and end up even more of an incoherent caricature of childish silliness than he already is.

Probz:

And you missed off mild hebephrenic schizophrenia - a certain degree of incoherence in and disconnect between cognition and behaviour is plainly evident in the case of said patient. Inappropriate display of emotion and excessive use of smilies is probably the outward manifestation of bizarre grimacing and mirthless laughter behind the computer screen. He's one step away from roaming Aba market.

The said patient has proven his NeuroTherapists right by trying to rewrite his medical fact sheet, lending credence to our long, hard and thorough medical diagnosis on his multiple neuro-cognitive disorders.

TheUmbra:

In conclusion, we are compelled to inform the public that the patient is very likely to rewrite this factsheet to smear and blackmail the team of doctors that have been working exceptionally hard at treating his numerous neuro-cognitive disorders. The public is by this publication advised to approach Mr Laudate with extreme caution or avoid him all together.

Signed:
TheUmbra
Lead NeuroTherapist

The best form of treatment now, my most distinguished colleagues, Dr Shroud and Dr Probz is to apply systematic withdrawal. This will most certainly calm the patient's neurosis but inflate his already severe delusional disorder.

The end goal of this therapy, dear colleagues is to give the patient, Mr Laudate a false sense of victory.
This will help the patient calm down.

Confidential!

Please keep this file confidential as the patient may likely suffer further mental retrogression should he come to the knowledge of its content.

Signed:

TheUmbra
Lead NeuroTherapist

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Tequilah: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2017
Shroud:
Did the post they hid contain your psychoneurotic prescription?

Move on, dude. You're not half as important as the band of unorganised choir raging in your head made you believe!

Hello, please do not mention my name again in any shape, guise or form. My post to the mods was a report of your insults and rude, disgusting, unruly responses which breached Rule 2 of the posting rules. But then, the mods decided to shield you, and cover up all your activities, by deleting my posts. You have just done the same thing again, now. but the mods have still failed to respond. This means:

1). The mods are partial;
2). You obviously have links to them, or you may be one of them writing under a different ID;
3). They are in full support of your vulgar comments.
4). The are enjoying the way you (and even laudate) have been making a spectacle of yourself.

My previous post deleted by the mods clearly pointed out the fact that your comments should be dealt with. Instead they chose to look the other way. I know they would soon be back to delete this post I just made, in their bid to keep covering up for you. So kindly keep off my mentions for life. i am not one of those who would indulge your meaningless quest to score cheap points. Good day.

cc: odumchi, mynd44, bigfrancis21, OAM4J, Fulaman81,

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Tequilah: 9:39am On Jun 30, 2017
laudate:

Hahahahaha...... cheesy wink grin Honestly, I can't remember the last time I laughed this much! cool You have such an over-inflated sense of your own self importance. After that Tequilah chap stripped you of your fake clapbacks by reporting you to the mods, you ran away only to resurface again after he had gone??

Hello, please i would appreciate it if you keep my name out of any future conversations with that individual you just responded to, as I do not want my name or moniker to be associated with him in any shape, form or design. Tnx.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 10:03am On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:

Hello, please do not mention my name again in any shape, guise or form. My post to the mods was a report of your insults and rude, disgusting, unruly responses which breached Rule 2 of the posting rules. But then, the mods decided to shield you, and cover up all your activities, by deleting my posts. You have just done the same thing again, now. but the mods have still failed to respond. This means:

1). The mods are partial;
2). You obviously have links to them, or you may be one of them writing under a different ID;
3). They are in full support of your vulgar comments.
4). The are enjoying the way you (and even laudate) have been making a spectacle of yourself.

My previous post deleted by the mods clearly pointed out the fact that your comments should be dealt with. Instead they chose to look the other way. I know they would soon be back to delete this post I just made, in their bid to keep covering up for you. So kindly keep off my mentions. Good day.

cc: odumchi, mynd44, bigfrancis21, OAM4J, Fulaman81,
We all know you are jockeying for attention that's why you were ignored like a patient DOA at the emergency unit.

Learn not to burden yourself with what doesn't concern you. I'm no mod , neither do I have any affiliation with them.

I find your persistent call to un-hide your posts -- most of which are violation of rule 1-- a sign of mental disease as an invalid who lets out a drooling imbecilic smirk whenever he sees his lunacy in digital print.

Bugger off. You don't matter. Never will.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Shroud: 10:25am On Jun 30, 2017
TheUmbra:

The said patient has proven his NeuroTherapists right by trying to rewrite his medical fact sheet, lending credence to our long, hard and thorough medical diagnosis on his multiple neuro-cognitive disorders.

The best form of treatment now, my most distinguished colleagues, Dr Shroud and Dr Probz is to apply systematic withdrawal. This will most certainly calm the patient's neurosis but inflate his already severe delusional disorder.

The end goal of this therapy, dear colleagues is to give the patient, Mr Laudate a false sense of victory.
This will help the patient calm down.

Confidential!

Please keep this file confidential as the patient may likely suffer further mental retrogression should he come to the knowledge of its content.

Signed:

TheUmbra
Lead NeuroTherapist

Hahahaha! The old man is pathetically untreatable. He has shown adverse reactions to my radical psychoanalytic therapy.

Dude was never raised to believe he could stand on his own two feet so he needs Séun's platform to launch another attempt to remedy his life.

See him saying you ran to google when you dropped that medical analysis of the demented retárd who has shown repeatedly here he has no pride or shame.

Ascribing your post to google is a sure sign he felt the full force of the knock out blow! cheesy

The snake has been beheaded. All we have here is the writhing hisses of his lifeless body.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by TheUmbra: 12:28pm On Jun 30, 2017
Shroud:

Hahahaha! The old man is pathetically untreatable. He has shown adverse reactions to my radical psychoanalytic therapy.

Dude was never raised to believe he could stand on his own two feet so he needs Séun's platform to launch another attempt to remedy his life.

See him saying you ran to google when you dropped that medical analysis of the demented retárd who has shown repeatedly here he has no pride or shame.

Ascribing your post to google is a sure sign he felt the first force of the knock out blow! cheesy

The snake has been beheaded. All we have here is the writhing hisses of his lifeless body.

At the emboldened: You're the poetic Don lezz, the invincible! Abeg sofri sofri kill this guy. Abeg!

He never knew the consequences sticking with a bigot of a master. The master has run away leaving him behind to be brutalized and dehumanised.

He never knew you, nor me, nor Probz, that it would cost him his peace and dignity facing just one of us, let alone all three.

So long to that dweeb who mistook foolhardiness for bravery.

grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by laudate: 12:57pm On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:
Hello, please i would appreciate it if you keep my name out of any future conversations with that individual you just responded to, as I do not want my name or moniker to be associated with him in any shape, form or design. Tnx.
Hi, bro'. No offence meant. I understand your feelings, perfectly. Do have a great day. Cheers. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Tequilah: 1:27pm On Jun 30, 2017
Shroud:
We all know you are jockeying for attention that's why you were ignored like a patient DOA at the emergency unit.

Learn not to burden yourself with what doesn't concern you. I'm no mod , neither do I have any affiliation with them.

I find your persistent call to un-hide your posts -- most of which are violation of rule 1-- a sign of mental disease as an invalid who lets out a drooling imbecilic smirk whenever he sees his lunacy in digital print.

Bugger off. You don't matter. Never will.

Rule 1 of the posting rules states clearly 'Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.' You are merely seeking for another excuse to repost further insults by inventing your own definition of rule 1. It seems you forgot I told you to get off my mentions.

Attn mods: This is another breach of Rule 2 by this character named Shroud.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 1:28pm On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:

Rule 1 of the posting rules states clearly 'Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.' You are merely seeking for another excuse to repost further insults by inventing your own definition of rule 1. It seems you forgot I told you to get off my mentions.

If you want him to stop talking to you, stop talking to him.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Fearlez: 6:10pm On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:

dude, STFU and stop nagging like a menopausal hag. Lawd!!!

The way you keep having a penchant to quote every post and nag like a housewife give credence to the suspicion you're an alternate trying to do damage control.

You have derailed this thread bad enough. Get out with your trivialities and end this.

Phew! So many male-madams walking around with scrotum

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Tequilah: 7:02pm On Jun 30, 2017
Probz:
If you want him to stop talking to you, stop talking to him.

Yu should give your friend the same advise, pls!

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Tequilah: 7:07pm On Jun 30, 2017
Fearlez:
dude, STFU and stop nagging like a menopausal hag. Lawd!!!

The way you keep having a penchant to quote every post and nag like a housewife give credence to the suspicion you're an alternate trying to do damage control.

You have derailed this thread bad enough. Get out with your trivialities and end this.

Phew! So many male-madams walking around with scrotum
hello, what is all this? Since my last response at 1.27 p.m. have i responded to you or to anyone else on this thread? what really is your problem? Yu feel you are the only one with a right to reply to others, while everybody should keep quiet in obedience to you?

maybe you have many alternate handles, which is why yu are accusing others of doing the same. your friend too made this same accusation earlier, on a different post of mine which was deleted. if not for the fact that the mods allowed you people to get away with your drama, why would i even have any cause to reply you?

Dont address me anymore, pls!
Attn mods: odumchi, mynd44, bigfrancis21, OAM4J, Fulaman189. This xter has got out of hand! pls take action, now!

1 Like

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by DriveByKiller: 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:

hello, what is all this? Since my last response at 1.27 p.m. have i responded to you or to anyone else on this thread? what really is your problem? Yu feel you are the only one with a right to reply to others, while everybody should keep quiet in obedience to you?

maybe you have many alternate handles, which is why yu are accusing others of doing the same. your friend too made this same accusation earlier, on a different post of mine which was deleted. if not for the fact that the mods allowed you people to get away with your drama, why would i even have any cause to reply you?

Dont address me anymore, pls!
Attn mods: odumchi, mynd44, bigfrancis21, OAM4J, Fulaman189. This xter has got out of hand! pls take action, now!
Tequilah:

Yu should give your friend the same advise, pls!
Tequilah:

Mods please ban this non-entity for persistently posting off topic on this thread....

So many sadists here with behavioural disinhibition

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Tequilah: 7:18pm On Jun 30, 2017
DriveByKiller:
Mods please ban this non-entity for persistently posting off topic on this thread....

So many sadists here with behavioural disinhibition

Rules 2 & 8 have been broken. Hello mods, pls ban this person for such an inciting statement. Tnx.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by DriveByKiller: 7:48pm On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:

Rules 2 & 8 have been broken. Hello mods, pls ban this person for such an inciting statement. Tnx.
Mods , rule 1 & 8 here.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 02, 2017
@fratermathy,

I think this your thing started with good intentions but it has ended up to be a terrible idea.
You don't have enough knowledge to even pretend to educate anybody on such a diversity of ethnicities.
I guess you are aged between 18 and 23. You are ambitious and you think you know it all, but in fact you are extremely ignorant.
Look, what you said about the Edo people is a big insult. You claimed that they have little to nothing in common and that is a big lie.
Let me remind you that all Edo people have the same King: Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Also it is annoying that you don't seem to be able to seperate fables and fairytales from actual history. How can a rational mind actually even consider that story of "a slave named Edo who was working for one Oba" ? Ignorance is a poison.
Let me also inform you about what Edo means: first of all Edo and Benin are synonimous.
Also let me give you a little bit of history:

1) Before colonisation Benin (Edo) was a country (not to be confused with the francophone country currently being called Benin Republic, indeed that francophone country was called Dahomey until it got independence in the 1960's and chose to call itself Benin Republic in honour of the ancient Benin empire)
2) Before colonization Benin had a capital called Benin City. Just like the Roman empire (which was called Rome) had a capital also called Rome.
3)Edo people are a people just like the german people are a people and the Irish people and the french people are a people. Developed countries often have people of different ethnicities, and the Benin empire was a developed country (according to the standards of the time). So just like the french comprise many ethnicities so do the Edo (also called the Benins, not "Bini" ).
4) The current Edo state was the heart of the ancient Benin Empire (The Benin empire was very large, it comprised the entire land mass often referred to as Yorubaland and went as far as togo and ghana, it also comprised lands in the south-east of nigeria).
5) The Benin empire had been around for at least 1000 years.

Also I don't get why you keep focusing on language or "dialects" as you call it. Let me just remind you that most empires never imposed a language on their provinces: Rome didn't, Greece didn't, Russia didn't and Benin didn't. The only empires which actually imposed a language on their provinces are the recent colonial empires: the british and the french.
This is the reason why some Edo ethnicities speak Igbo and some speak Yoruba and some speak other languages.

So your analysis of the Edo people is flawed. And by the way your statement on the Edo is quite contradictory.
One interesting fact which you totally missed is the fact that the title "Oba" is indigenous to the Edo people, it is the shortened title of their King: Omo n'Oba n'Edo. It is only around independence that all yoruba chiefs copied the title Oba. That is why the Ooni of ife whose title is Ooni would unexplicably put "Oba" before his name. The records of colonial meetings attended by the Oba of Benin and the Yoruba chiefs is proof of my statement.

Also you should note that the title "Oba of Benin" which many confuse to mean "Oba of Benin City" actually means "Oba of Edo" as a translation of "Omo n'Oba n'Edo". Indeed remember that I told you that "Edo" and "Benin" are synonymous, they have the same meaning. Most of you guys who do not know African history confuse "Benin" with "Benin City". Now let me repeat my self "Benin" (also called Edo) is an ancient country (also an empire) and its capital was called "Benin City", its people are also called Edo.

@AreaFada please take it up from here. God bless.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 02, 2017
Also yoruba is not a tribe but rather a collection of tribes which were assembled as a "tribe" by Awolowo for political reasons. Igbo also comprises many tribes, and hausa also comprised many tribes.

Ignorance is poison. Education is the cure.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Probz(m): 12:18am On Jul 02, 2017
Wait till laudate enters this thread. I'm ready for part 2. cool
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by fratermathy(m): 12:28am On Jul 02, 2017
history2902:
@fratermathy,

I think this your thing started with good intentions but it has ended up to be a terrible idea.
You don't have enough knowledge to even pretend to educate anybody on such a diversity of ethnicities.
I guess you are aged between 18 and 23. You are ambitious and you think you know it all, but in fact you are extremely ignorant.
Look, what you said about the Edo people is a big insult. You claimed that they have little to nothing in common and that is a big lie.
Let me remind you that all Edo people have the same King: Omo n'Oba n'Edo.
Also it is annoying that you don't seem to be able to seperate fables and fairytales from actual history. How can a rational mind actually even consider that story of "a slave named Edo who was working for one Oba" ? Ignorance is a poison.
Let me also inform you about what Edo means: first of all Edo and Benin are synonimous.
Also let me give you a little bit of history:

1) Before colonisation Benin (Edo) was a country (not to be confused with the francophone country currently being called Benin Republic, indeed that francophone country was called Dahomey until it got independence in the 1960's and chose to call itself Benin Republic in honour of the ancient Benin empire)
2) Before colonization Benin had a capital called Benin City. Just like the Roman empire (which was called Rome) had a capital also called Rome.
3)Edo people are a people just like the german people are a people and the Irish people and the french people are a people. Developed countries often have people of different ethnicities, and the Benin empire was a developed country (according to the standards of the time). So just like the french comprise many ethnicities so do the Edo (also called the Benins, not "Bini" ).
4) The current Edo state was the heart of the ancient Benin Empire (The Benin empire was very large, it comprised the entire land mass often referred to as Yorubaland and went as far as togo and ghana, it also comprised lands in the south-eats of nigeria).
5) The Benin empire had been around for at least 1000 years.

Also I don't get why you keep focusing on language or "dialects" as you call it. Let me just remind you that most empires never imposed a language on their provinces: Rome didn't, Greece didn't, Russia didn't and Benin didn't. The only empires which actually imposed a language on their provinces are the recent colonial empires: the british and the french.
This is the reason why some Edo ethnicities speak Igbo and some speak Yoruba and some speak other languages.

So your analysis of the Edo people is flawed. And by the way your statement on the Edo is quite contradictory.
One interesting fact which you totally missed is the fact that the title "Oba" is indigenous to the Edo people, it is the shortened title of their King: Omo n'Oba n'Edo. It is only around independence that all yoruba chiefs copied the title Oba. That is why the Ooni of ife whose title is Ooni would unexplicably put "Oba" before his name. The records of colonial meetings attended by the Oba of Benin and the Yoruba chiefs is proof of my statement.

Also you should note that the title "Oba of Benin" which many confuse to mean "Oba of Benin City" actually means "Oba of Edo" as a translation of "Omo n'Oba n'Edo". Indeed remember that I told you that "Edo" and "Benin" are synonymous, they have the same meaning. Most of you guys who do not know African history confuse "Benin" with "Benin City". Now let me repeat my self "Benin" (also called Edo) is an ancient country (also an empire) and its capital was called "Benin City", its people are also called Edo.

@AreaFada please take it up from here. God bless.

kk
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Konquest: 5:50am On Jul 02, 2017
fratermathy:
Nigeria is a multi-ethnic nation with diverse ethnicities. Many foreigners, and even Nigerians belonging to majority ethnic groups, have little to no knowledge of the various minority ethnic groups that proliferate the nation. What comes to mind when they think of Nigeria is that there are only the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa ethnicities. This view is sustained because the Nigerian constitution recognises only those three ethnic groups as the major ethnic groups in Nigeria. Every other ethnic group is treated as a minority ethnic group.

The concept of a minority ethnic group is quite faulty in the Nigerian context. Some ethnicities that are deemed to be minorities have well over 2 million people (a minority ethnic group in the real sense should have a population of 1 million or less). However, within the Nigerian context, if you are not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa, you are a minority. The big three (WaZoBia) have always been at the centre of Nigerian politics and history. Only a few enlightened persons know much about Nigeria's other 250+ ethnic groups. Even those who know them have various misconceptions about the ethnicities. The situation is so bad that many Yorubas, Hausas, Igbos and even those from minority groups, assume that the minorities in the South are all Igboid or Igbo sub-groups, while those in the North are all Hausas or Hausa sub-groups.

This thread will attempt to state some facts about Nigeria's minority groups as a means of educating Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike. My focus will be on the minority groups in the South-South geo-political region and parts of the middle-belt region of Nigeria (both regions were created exclusively for minorities). There are also many minorities in Nigeria's North but they deserve another thread entirely.

1. The Urhobo ethnic group occupy Delta Central/South senatorial districts and is the most dominant ethnic group in Delta State. They share the same culture and worldview with the Isoko of Delta State (both are regarded as one group by many persons).

2. Ijaw is regarded by many as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with Urhobo coming as 5th (contested claims). Efik-Ibibio also claims to the be the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. The Tiv are also regarded by some as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. No proper and current census has been done to validate the many population claims.

3. Itsekiri is a Yoruboid ethnic group whose ancestors were migrant fishermen of Ijebu, Ikale and Ilaje sub-groups of the Yorubas. However, their monarchy is of Bini descent and this created a hybrid culture with elements from Yoruba, Bini and their neighbours, Urhobo and Ijaw.

4. The first person to get a university degree in Nigeria was an Itsekiri king. His name was Dom Domingos (Atuwatse I). He graduated from Coimbra University, Portugal, in 1611. He also married a Portuguese woman. The Itsekiris are among the first group to make contact with the western world and due to their hospitality and warmness, that early contact favoured them quite well.

5. There are more than 20 ethnic groups in Cross River Central and North that are not related to Efik. Many of these ethnic groups speak languages that are regarded as Bantoid (from Bantu). Some of them are Ejagham (Ekoid), Boki, Bekwarra, Bette-Bendi, Ikom, Leggbo, etc.

6. The ethnic groups in Cross River South and Akwa Ibom form a cluster known as the Akwa-Cross cluster. All of the languages in the cluster are related and mutually intelligible to speakers. However, they are all regarded as separate ethnicities. Efik is spoken in Cross River South (Calabar and environs), Ibibio is the largest ethnicity in this cluster and it is spoken in Akwa Ibom (Uyo and environs), Anaang is spoken in Ikot Ekpene and environs, Oron (Oro) is spoken in Oron town and environs, while Ekid (Eket) is spoken in Eket, Esit Eket and environs.

7. The Andoni ethnic group of Rivers and Akwa Ibom is related to both the Ijaw and the Ibeno (Ibibioid) ethnic groups. Andoni people occupy the coastal areas of Rivers (Andoni LGA) and Akwa Ibom States (Eastern Obolo LGA).

8. The Isoko ethnicity of Delta State used to be regarded as Eastern Urhobo until 1958 when James Otobo moved a motion for a separate Isoko province. This marked the beginning of a separate Isoko political identity. Isokos share the same culture and worldviews with Urhobos but they speak a different dialect that many Urhobos cannot understand.

9. The Ogoni ethnic group of Rivers State occupy 4 LGAs (Tai, Eleme, Khana and Gokana). They all speak different dialects of Ogoni language. Eleme in particular claims to be a different ethnicity from the Ogoni.

10. The Idoma people of Benue State trace their history to the Kwararafa confederation of the Junkun, in modern day Taraba State. They have historical and cultural ties with the Igala.

11. The Baruba people of Kwara State are split into Nigeria and Benin Republic. They are a very reserved people and have strong Islamic values.

12. The Gbagyi people are the most populated ethnicity indigenous to Abuja, Nigeria's Federal Capital. They also occupy Kaduna, Kogi, Nasarrawa and Niger States. They are called Gwari by the Hausa-Fulani people. Nigeria's former military ruler, Gen. Babangida is a Gbagyi man.

13. The Nupe people occupy Kwara and Niger States. They are predominantly Muslims and have an emirate known as Bida Emirate. Nupe people are reserved, agrarian and peaceful.

14. Islam was introduced to the Etsako people (Auchi and environs) of Edo State by the Nupe people.

15. Epie-Atissa (Yenagoa) people, Engenni (Rivers), Degema (Rivers), Urhobo-Isoko (Delta), Esan, Bini, Etsako, Afenmai, and others in Edo State are all Edoid groups. Their ancestry can be traced to Benin and they speak loosely related and mutually unintelligible languages. They are all regarded as different ethnicities, with the exception of Epie-Atissa which has joined the Ijaw confederation.

16. The Anioma people of Delta State (Delta North- Asaba and environs) speak related Igboid languages. Anioma is an acronym for Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, and Oshimili (subgroups comprising what is regarded as Delta Igbo). However, these groups are constitutionally acknowledged as different ethnicities and they speak different dialects, apart from the Enuani (Aniocha and Oshimili) who speak a dialect of Igbo very close to Onitsha dialect.

17. Ikwerre, Ekpeye and Ogba (Akalaka brothers) speak loosely related Igboid languages. They trace their history to Benin like the Edoid groups. Ikwerre is the dominant ethnic group in Rivers State.

18. There is no language known as "Ijaw" language. Ijaw is an ethnic marker for the confederation of ethnicities that chose to identify as Ijaw. The main language many of the core Ijaw people speak is called Izon, with Kolukoma-Opukuma regarded as the standard written dialect. Other languages spoken by the Ijaws include Nembe, Ogbia (a Cross River Language), Epie-Atissa (Edoid language), Kalabari, Okrika, Nkoroo, Defaka, etc. Nigeria's former president, Goodluck Jonathan, speaks Ogbia, while his wife, Patience Jonathan, speaks Okrika.

19. The standard variety of Urhobo is Agbarho dialect while that of Isoko is Uzere dialect. Other dialects in the Urhobo-Isoko cluster include Uvwie, Okpe, and Erhowa.

20. Itsekiri has no dialects. The language is the same in all Itsekiri locales. It is one of the few languages in Nigeria with this feature.

21. The Tiv (Benue), Junkun (Taraba), and Kuteb (Taraba) people were once together in a federation known as the Wukari Federation. The fall of this Federation marked the outwards migration of the constituent groups, especially the Tiv.

22. The Ebira people of Kogi State trace their history to the Kwararafa Federation, the Junkun successor to the Wukari Federation. They are predominantly Muslims. They occupy Okene and its environs.

23. The Igala people of Kogi State have historical and cultural ties with the Igbo people but they speak a Yoruboid language. A few scholars claim that the Igalas migrated from Umueri. Other scholars claim that Igalas are a hybrid of Idoma and Yoruba.

24. There are over twenty ethnic groups in Plateau State. Many of them have shared beliefs, religion and world view. Among them are the Berom (Jos and environs), Tarok, Afizere, Kofyar, Jarawa, among others. They speak loosely related languages and many use Hausa for inter-ethnic communication. Christianity is the dominant religion among the minorities in Plateau State.

25. There are over twenty ethnic groups in Kaduna State. Many of them have a largely Christian heritage and are dominant in Southern Kaduna. Among them are Gbagyi, Gwong, Atuku, Bajju, Atyab, Gure and Ninkyop. Many of the Southern Kaduna people can speak and understand Hausa.

26. The Olukumi people of Delta State are Yoruboid and they are surrounded on all sides by the Delta Igbos (Aniochas). Most of them are coordinate speakers of Igbo and Olukumi (a Yoruboid language). They are the micro-minorities of Delta State and their language is faced with extinction.

27. There is no ethnic group known as "Edo". Edo is a word that describes a variety of ethnic groups with a common origin although many use it to refer to the Bini people. Edo is actually the name of a slave which an Oba appropriated to his empire after the slave saved his life. The ethnic groups that are described as Edoid have only little in common. Their languages are not mutually intelligible and their cultural beliefs are quite distinct. The ethnic group occupying Benin City is the Bini people.

28. The Ikas and Ukwuanis of Delta State trace their origin to modern day Edo. According to their myths, their ancestors were migrants from Benin. However, they speak Igboid languages, not Edoid languages.

29. Some minority languages are taught at the primary, secondary and university levels in Nigeria. The languages that are taught at the university level include: Urhobo (Delta State University, Abraka), Izon (Niger Delta University, Amassoma and University of Port Harcourt, Choba), Ikwerre (University of Port Harcourt, Choba), Bini (University of Benin), and Efik-Ibibio (University of Calabar and University of Uyo). Many others are taught at the College of Education level.

30. All of Nigeria's commercial crude deposits are within the territories of minority ethnic groups in the South-South region of Nigeria. The highest producers of the nation's crude include the Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo-Isoko, Eket, Oron, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba and Ukwuani. Small quantities of crude oil can also found in Ondo (Yoruba), Abia (Ukwa East & West -Igbo) and Imo (Egbema & Oguta). Lagos State (Yoruba) has recently joined the league of oil producing states in Nigeria and oil has been discovered in the Lake Chad Basin (Kanuri) of North Eastern Nigeria.

Bonus: Apart from crude oil, Nigeria's minorities are blessed with intellectuals (Urhobo, for instance, is said to have one of the highest concentration of Professors, Medical Doctors and Lawyers in Nigeria), mineral resources (Urhobo also has the highest gas deposits in Nigeria, gold is present in Plateau State), rich culture (the Ijaws and Itsekiris have various boat regattas and amazing festivals), historical monarchies (the Bini monarchy, the Itsekiri monarchy, the Calabar (Efik) monarchy, the Igala monarchy, the Nupe monarchy, the Jos monarchy, etc), tourist attractions (Calabar Carnival, Port Harcourt Book Festival, Ox-Bow Lake in Bayelsa, Oba of Benin's Palace, Confluence of Rivers Niger and Benue at Lokoja, etc) and many other natural and human resources.

These are only some of the interesting facts about Nigeria's various minority ethnic groups. Do you know of other interesting facts? Kindly comment and keep the thread moving. You may also comment if you spot any error(s) or misconception(s).

- Written by Iroro Orhero (literarymathy[at]gmail.com).
- Do not copy without acknowledging the writer and/or the source.

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
@Fratermathy

Well done! grin

This is a well written post. I love the fact
that YOU emphasized the relationship
between the Yoruboid and Edoid groups
in Delta State, i.e., the Itsekiri/Urhobo
where you have a high level of
intermarriages which makes them to
be direct cousins.

You dutifully noted the
contradictions in which ethnic group
is the 4th largest in Nigeria with the
Ijaws claiming to be the 4th largest
even when we had the last census
with the ethnic and religious criteria being demanded
from citizens in the 1960s!

I must state that in your number 26
subject there are many communities
in Aniocha North that have Bini, Esan,
Yoruba, Asaba and Igala origins.
If you check the Idumuje-Unor entry
in Wikipedia, you'll find out that it is
made up of mainly Bini, Esan, Asaba, and
some Yoruba ethnicities! Idumuje-Ugboko
indigenes migrated from Idumuje-Unor
300 years ago and it is North of Idumuje-Unor. The MD of Rainoil, Gabriel Ogbechie
is from Idumuje-Ugboko. @Ehikwe22 who
is from Ika actually said their is nothing
like Delta Ibo in one of his posts since
Delta North is made up of a mix of several
ethnicities who speak some languages
that have borrowed Iboid words.

Your post is the type of neat and intellectual posts I love to read on Nairaland.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 02, 2017
@kongquest
Perharp it is time for "yoruba" to stop claiming people of the ancient Benin empire. The "yoruba" have been trying to claim Benin City, but they were unsucessful, now they are going after the Edos in the Delta and elsewhere whose land was part of the Benin empire and whose people most likely migrated from Benin City. For your information, Itsekeri and Urhobos are Edo, they have nothing to do with "Yoruba".
I know you guys are making these claims because you want to lay claim to Niger Delta oil. But enough is enough.
What annoys me is that many Edos who just happen to speak yoruba dialects now think that they are yoruba.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by aljharem(m): 1:32pm On Jul 02, 2017
Efewestern:

Migrates? lol funny

Every ethnic group migrated from somewhere, itsekiri migrated from Yoruba, urhobo from edo, but that doesn't mean they don't own that land.

I have some ijaw who are ondo indigene. ijaw territory in edo and ondo is surrounded by itsekiri, ilaje and urhobo, how they intend carving those states out will be a big issue.

we will leave that for another day.

You have a point but crave out is a no no as far as yorubas are concerned. Ijaws in ondo migrated of recent and they will be chased out
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by aljharem(m): 1:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
[size=8pt][/size]
history2902:
@kongquest
Perharp it is time for "yoruba" to stop claiming people of the ancient Benin empire. The "yoruba" have been trying to claim Benin City, but they were unsucessful, now they are going after the Edos in the Delta and elsewhere whose land was part of the Benin empire and whose people most likely migrated from Benin City. For your information, Itsekeri and Urhobos are Edo, they have nothing to do with "Yoruba".
I know you guys are making these claims because you want to lay claim to Niger Delta oil. But enough is enough.
What annoys me is that many Edos who just happen to speak yoruba dialects now think that they are yoruba.

So now we are edo ?

I think you are sick. If edo does not know their origin, we lagosians, itsekiri, akoko, ofosu, etc know our history
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 02, 2017
aljharem:

You have a point but crave out is a no no as far as yorubas are concerned. Ijaws in ondo migrated of recent and they will be chased out
Ijaws are indigenous to cross river, they have no legitimate claim to any land elsewhere and certainly not land in Edo state.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 02, 2017
aljharem:
[size=8pt][/size]

So now we are edo ?

I think you are sick. If edo does not know their origin, we lagosians, itsekiri, akoko, ofosu, etc know our history

OK tell me what you are quoting as your "history" ?
You have to distinguish between made up stories and History.
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by aljharem(m): 1:39pm On Jul 02, 2017
history2902:

Ijaws are indigenous to cross river, they have no legitimate claim to any land elsewhere and certainly not land in Edo state.

There fuc.king business as far as no inch of yorubaland or edoland is taken. I am fine
Re: 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups by aljharem(m): 1:41pm On Jul 02, 2017
history2902:

OK tell me what you are quoting as your "history" ?
You have to distinguish between made up stories and History.

History has it that binis esan were all yorubas so if they now want to go their own way, they should leave others out of it. Itsekiri, awori, ilaje, akoko, tax are all yorubas as of today.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Police Station Built By David Okunato In Ondo State (photos) / Afolasade Ashley Afolakemi: Is New Wife The Cause Of Ooni's Divorce? (Photos) / The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.