Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:37 PM

Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? (7052 Views)

Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by DEKING3(m): 3:32pm On Dec 20, 2005
@ ozi, no one is saying you shouldn't give it a try, just that you might end up trying to please your parents.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 3:42pm On Dec 20, 2005
what is wrong with pleasing ones's parents? Ive had a relationship broken up because her parents didnt approve of me.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by DEKING3(m): 4:22pm On Dec 20, 2005
@ nicetohave: Please just read part of my earlier post below:-

DE-KING:

trying to please your parents.

I boldened "trying" just for the sake of emphasis. You are not supposed to try to please your parents rather, you should please them when and if you have to, but not at the expense of your happiness. There's nothing with you trying to please your parents. Okay?
Hope I've clearified things.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Z4M4eva(f): 10:40pm On Dec 26, 2005
I will not let my parents choose a spouse for me, their advice would be welcome, but not as in...like forcing me on the guy,like I must marry him or something even when I am not in love with him, they wouldn't do that anyway.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Destiny6(f): 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2005
I would never let them choose for me, at the end of the day its my life and they need to let me make decisions for myself. Although the decisions i make may be mistakes, they need to let me learn from my mistakes.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by larger20(m): 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2005
that is a good piont to learn from ur mistake..but watch it ..u might make a mistake that could cost ur life
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by keenchiori(m): 12:25pm On Jan 01, 2006
As well as i respect my parents, i dont think they are good enough to choose for me who i will spend a life time with. They are only qualified to suggest and not to choose.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Rolly: 7:29am On Jan 03, 2006
Lai Lai ! whether it is introduction o! or forcing o! or anything like that! i will not let my parent shoose for me. i will bring him home, if they dont approve, they will try, in the end, they wont have shoice and we'll marry! shimple as ABC cheesy cheesy
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by cheekee(f): 10:24am On Jan 03, 2006
i don't think that they are to mchoose for me whom to spend my life with but they can be of good help to advice and give opinions about my love life...........
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Rolly: 12:03am On Jan 04, 2006
cheekee:

i don't think that they are to mchoose for me whom to spend my life with but they can be of good help to advice and give opinions about my love life...........

i agree with u cheesy
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by kenflavor(m): 8:59am On Jan 04, 2006
There is nothing wrong when they choose. It is only wrong when they say you must marry the person they have chosen for you. I will be very glad to know who ever my parent recommend, after getting to know the person very well, then proposal may then come thereafter, if she possesses those qualities I want from a woman.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Ashbaby(f): 5:55pm On Jan 05, 2006
Choose my spouse for me? Now, that's just pushing it. They chose the clothes I'd go to church with, then choose my spouse for me? No way. I love them....infact, too much. But the love goes as far as to say that at whatever age, I'm old enough to make my own choices, then I can deal with the consequences of that myself...whether good or bad. In a nutshell, no way!
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Outkast(f): 5:19am On Jan 07, 2006
Naah, my folks no better. If they choose my spouse, they might as well run the rest of my life including the marriage
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by 2nde(m): 5:19am On Jan 07, 2006
My parent wont even try it, i trust them. They are not the type though.
Even if they are, they know their child is very sick
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Olorididan(m): 5:21am On Jan 07, 2006
YES!...... IF YOUR'E DAFT ENOUGH TO LET THEM wink!
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by cheekee(f): 6:11am On Jan 07, 2006
Olorididan:

YES!...... IF YOUR'E DAFT ENOUGH TO LET wink!
that's funny!!!!! grin
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Rolly: 6:12am On Jan 07, 2006
cheesy cheesy
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by christyne(f): 5:55pm On Jan 11, 2006
I cant allow my parents choose for me.My mum will only tell me (as she has been telling my big sis) that i shd marry a guy i knw i'll be proud of,a guy good enough to live with and things like that.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by obum(f): 5:09pm On Jan 13, 2006
Cheekee i love dat u bring d guy home and dey advice u on wat to do.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by obum(f): 5:11pm On Jan 13, 2006
Thank u so much outkast
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by mizkay(f): 7:20pm On Jan 13, 2006
My papa and mama no dey for dat yeye.........
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Scorpio(f): 2:22am On Jan 14, 2006
cheesy
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by cheekee(f): 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2006
obum:

Cheekee i love that u bring d guy home and dey advice u on what to do.
yap!!!that's worth it!!!!!
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by wascoms(m): 2:26pm On Jan 15, 2006
actually what we should all understand is that, this particular man/woman that they've chosen for u is not somebody you really know and before you marry anybody you have to know the person to some extent.

to me in this case i will never allow my parent to choose a woman for me, because I'm the person that is going to marry and live with her, so i know the kind of woman i want to marry and already i have no reason to accept the woman they brought for me.

this is like interfering in your marriage,home and so on, because actually they will always want to know everything that is going on between both of you
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Ashbaby(f): 6:20pm On Jan 19, 2006
wascoms:

actually what we should all understand is that, this particular man/woman that they've chosen for u is not somebody you really know and before you marry anybody you have to know the person to some extent.

to me in this case i will never allow my parent to choose a woman for me, because I'm the person that is going to marry and live with her, so i know the kind of woman i want to marry and already i have no reason to accept the woman they brought for me.

this is like interfering in your marriage,home and so on, because actually they will always want to know everything that is going on between both of you
True that!
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by chy(f): 3:22pm On Mar 14, 2006
angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by loriann(f): 6:24pm On Mar 21, 2006
its a bad thing but parents do it but they say honour ur fathere and mother so that ur days will b long
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 23, 2006
this will be my response: Mum, Dad if na joke make u stop am grin grin
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Ashbaby(f): 4:56pm On Mar 23, 2006
loriann:

its a bad thing but parents do it but they say honour your fathere and mother so that your days will b long
I can honor them by communicating my feelings with them, and if they won't understand, I am an adult, even with parents, in God's eyes, so if my lack of acceptance of a spouse is out of spite, that will be judged differently by God. I think.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by retro(f): 8:40pm On Jul 12, 2006
Hell no. I want to be able to choose my 'husband'.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by kellorah: 11:51pm On Jul 13, 2006
erm, nope.they can't.i marry who i want to marry
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by CrazyMan(m): 8:59pm On Nov 15, 2006
Nope

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kids Do The Darnest Things / Nigerians' Sad Response To Rape Cases Is Sick Supporting Timaya And Lecturer / Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.