Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,461 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? (7029 Views)

Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by obum(f): 1:41pm On Dec 14, 2005
Can your father or mother chose your spouse for you? If they bring someone to you and tell you that's the person they want you to spend your whole life with/marry will you do it or agree to that? What will you do?
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by FOD(m): 5:22pm On Dec 15, 2005
If I'm not committed/engaged and the lady has the qualities I want and she consents to it, why not?

I am saying they can choose, but not force me.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by buckeye(m): 6:09pm On Dec 15, 2005
Yes, ,if shes the same gurl i have been wanting to date wink
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Seun(m): 8:45pm On Dec 15, 2005
I read this story about a man who was courting a young Nigerian woman. So one day his father called him and he said "I have found the woman I want you to marry". Turns out it was the same girl he was courting, so he said, "well Daddy, you know what? I guess I have to respect your decision!" So they got married and the father was so happy about his son's "obedience". They didn't tell anyone the true story about how they met until after the old man had passed on!

So, if my parents choose a girl for me, I'll date her. I am very lazy when it comes to dating, so if my parents wish to bring a girl to me on a platter of gold, that will be very lovely. If I don't like her, I'll return her to my parents and tell them to go and look for another one. This is called dating without stress. cheesy However, by now my parents know better than to expect me to marry a girl I don't like just because they say so. It just can't happen.

2 Likes

Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Greatpeter(m): 8:49pm On Dec 15, 2005
Never! I will never allow my parents to choose for me because I will be the one to live with her so I should know what I like and what suits me.

Who wears the shoes know where it pinches.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by obum(f): 3:10pm On Dec 16, 2005
Well Seun dat sounds very very funny to me, u mean u will sit down and expect ur Dad/Mum to bring a lady to u for marriage hhhhhmn. NAWA FOR U OH
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by kewe(f): 7:56pm On Dec 16, 2005
no way
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by omogenaija(f): 10:05pm On Dec 16, 2005
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM NOT A IYAWO SARA
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 10:06pm On Dec 16, 2005
If in good faith, why not? I am no sissy but if in good faith, id accept
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by ocho(f): 12:01am On Dec 17, 2005
hmm, my parents choose my spouse for me? I don't even know how i feel about that right now but i'd definately rather choose him myself.
@ seun: you daddy/mummy's boy!!! grin
@omoge02863: what is an iyawo sara? cheesy cheesy
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 12:36am On Dec 17, 2005
gift wife grin
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by otokx(m): 9:02am On Dec 17, 2005
am down with FOD and SEUN's opinion
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by larger20(m): 3:03am On Dec 18, 2005
Hell NO..my parents are not my type simple..they will find their type..for me
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by hotangel2(f): 7:14am On Dec 18, 2005
If i have mental Problem, YES they can choose for me.

If they are jobless and they think choosing a man for me is their new job -- They must be dreaming.

In short, NO they can't. Them chop winch?
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 11:27am On Dec 18, 2005
When we say chosing, we are not saying "compelling" here o, in one way or the other friends, peers etc, have played a role in who we date/marry; and in some cases gone as far as impressing the person on us, so why not "our" parents, or is it because we think they are "outdated"?
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Scorpio(f): 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2005
nah, my parents can't choose noone for me to get married to.. I'm too stubborn for that kind of stuff.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by ocho(f): 8:09pm On Dec 18, 2005
why dosen't that suprise me rolleyes
just kidding girl!! cheesy grin
sorry for going off topic people.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Oracle(m): 11:23pm On Dec 18, 2005
NO NO NO
Itz like u cant choose a wife for urself
or ur not man enough
hell no
uv gotta get a wife for urself or there's no wife

Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by lioness(f): 9:56am On Dec 19, 2005
Choose for me, grin grin grin grin my folks are even more confused than i am with picking a man.
Except they pick like a whole lot of them and I'll choose one
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 12:57pm On Dec 19, 2005
thats a good start, like "a Mr Universe contest?" cheesy
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by obum(f): 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2005
hello nicetohave here we i am simply saying compelling u too, cos most parents want to choose and pinpoint who u should date and marry too, so they re also COMPELLING U TO.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by lioness(f): 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2005
exactly grin grin grin

[ thats a good start, like "a Mr Universe contest?" /quote]
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Scorpio(f): 2:38pm On Dec 19, 2005
ocho:

why dosen't that suprise me rolleyes
if i catch u ehn grin anywayz it's d truth, my mom will prolly be like''she's been so nice for a long time now, i don't want any quarrels'' cos lawd knows i'll bring it to them.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by ozi(f): 5:15pm On Dec 19, 2005
yes, i can.

i respect my mama enough to trust her judgement.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by DEKING3(m): 5:18pm On Dec 19, 2005
We are talking about choosing which also means someone who would live with you for the rest of your life. Of course I wouldn't accept that because it's my life to live and I have to exercise the right to choose that God has given to me.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 7:45pm On Dec 19, 2005
thank you Ozi, me too (after some bluffing though grin )
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by IAH(f): 7:50pm On Dec 19, 2005
I will call the "chosen guy" and ask him if he's not even ashamed of himself to be chosen for somebody as if they are choosing Ileya Ram in the market. angry
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by nicetohave(m): 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2005
that wont be nice, instead of doing that why not give him a chance to prove his mettle....all your parents have done is an "introduction", not force you to marry him.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by mide2(f): 3:11am On Dec 20, 2005
My mom will probably choose a churchy, straight A, non-fashionable, family/church friend's son which is definitely not my type. But my Dad... i guess i'll like his choice because he loves good things but i'm sure NTA, BBC and CNN will all know how the guy came about.lol So NO.i won't allow them choose 4 me. !
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by lioness(f): 9:20am On Dec 20, 2005
grin grin grin grin grin

[I will call the "chosen guy" and ask him if he's not even ashamed of himself to be chosen for somebody as if they are choosing Ileya Ram in the market./quote]
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by obum(f): 1:09pm On Dec 20, 2005
Ozi of course all of us respects our jugdement to trust her but not to choose your life partner for u for heavens sake, chose out of the many that come around and take dem to ur parents.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by ozi(f): 1:43pm On Dec 20, 2005
Hiya obum and de-king,

if my mum chooses for me, I won't just marry the him without getting to know him first.

it's just that i will keep an open mind, and not just reject her choice without meeting the person.

u see the older i get the more i realise that parents will only have the best intentions for thier kids.

they have had a lot of experiences, and will look out for things that a lot if youths think is insignificant.

they are more culturally and in some cases spiritually aware.

im sure a lot of us that are over 20, look back and remember times when we didn't agree with somethings we were told.

but now we realise with age and more wisdom that they were right.

see it's not like if u should just marry anyone they suggest, but you can at least give it a chance before saying no.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

13 Questions For Feminists / Nigerians And Teen Pregnancy / Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.