Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,394 members, 7,830,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? (7051 Views)

Will You Let Someone Sleep With Your Spouse For N10m? - (See Responses) / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by lioness(f): 9:28am On Nov 16, 2006
depends
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by mekoyo(m): 2:04pm On Sep 14, 2007
We have gone past this phenomenon. Are your parents going to pray for you or fall in love for you?

In some cases it might be possible indirectly.
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by coolminded(m): 10:20pm On Sep 14, 2007
Parents jst run mouths, I do whatever pleases me
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by DaRkNeSs: 10:29pm On Sep 14, 2007
Who are they for them to choose my life partner undecided undecided undecided, lai lai

My parents can yell, shout but they will never tell me who to marry grin grin
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Bblak(f): 6:10pm On Sep 18, 2007
Absolutely not.they can only guide or advice me on how not to make a wrong choice because i'm sure they know and want the best for me
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by Sarifat(f): 1:56pm On Sep 21, 2007
Ko joooooooooo kode ni jo lailai
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by BABEELOVE(f): 2:11pm On Sep 21, 2007
Too late for that---Don't have those kinds of busy bodying parents anyway!  They are not meddlesome parents---but believe in the happiness of their children even when they disagree with our choices! kiss

Na village we dey? shocked
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by laudate: 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2007
All of una just dey talk grammar for here, as if di thing no dey happen for una side. Look, in the North, it is very common for parents to choose wives for their sons, especially the first sons. It is also common for them to arrange marriages for their kids, with or without the kid's consent. I had a female classmate that was married off at the age of 16, several years ago to a guy her father saw her talking to, on a few occassions. At first he warned her. But by the 3rd time he saw her saying hi to the same chap, he just went behind her back & married her off to the guy. Chikena. grin They now have four kids. She continued her education in her husband's house.

Another of my friends from the South-East dated an Efik girl for many years, without the knowledge of his parents. At that time, he had nothing. The girl stood by him and shared the little she had, with him. When he finally made some money, and decided to marry the girl, his parents refused flatly. sad

Later, he started dating a Yoruba girl, and again his parents refused to approve of their relationship. She wasn't from their place, was the excuse they gave him. It was much later his aunt introduced one girl from the next local govt. area to their own, to the chap. That was when the guy's parents finally gave their approval. smiley Tell me, have they not suceeded in (directly or indirectly) choosing the guy's wife for him?

It also happens for girls, as well. They keep parading different guys before their parents, and the dads & mums keep saying "No," until they finally see one that they like. Then they will quickly say yes, giving reasons that range from the sublime to the ridiculous, in order to make their pleasure (or displeasure) known. undecided Now, have they not successfully chosen a spouse for their kid, while managing to give him or her the erroneous impression that that he or she made the choice?
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by BABEELOVE(f): 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2007
Yes Laudate---It is a "village" minded thing! This thread is a rhetorical question! Of course parents choose spouses for their children--but it will be more interesting if you comment on your personal experience instead of going the "kparakporic" route of comparative ethnic studies! tongue

Laudate answer the question--Can your parents choose your spouse for you? tongue

na so fight dey take start! wink
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by laudate: 5:27pm On Sep 25, 2007
BABEELOVE:

Yes Laudate---It is a "village" minded thing! This thread is a rhetorical question! Of course parents choose spouses for their children--but it will be more interesting if you comment on your personal experience instead of going the "kparakporic" route of comparative ethnic studies! tongue

Laudate answer the question--Can your parents choose your spouse for you? tongue

na so fight dey take start! wink

Choose wetin for who?? Lai lai!! Na how that kind thing wan take happen? Dem no choose ordinary school for me, when I be teenager, na life partner them go wan choose for me?? God forbid bad thing! angry
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by afrodixie: 5:40pm On Sep 25, 2007
laudate:

Choose wetin for who?? Lai lai!! Na how that kind thing wan take happen? Dem no choose ordinary school for me, when I be teenager, na life partner them go wan choose for me?? God forbid bad thing! angry

I trust!  With all the bombs you throw around Nairaland---I did not think you are the "type"! he he he he he he he he! grin

On a more serious not--is it possible that in almost 2008, parents will still choose spouses for their children? shocked  If they were the "Dangotes or Otumbas or Ekene dili chukwus I will understand.  But when most are starving in the villages expecting money from their children from the cities and "the abroad", how can they have the where-with-all to choose spouses for their children for heaven's sake? shocked
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by amaikama(m): 9:58am On Apr 07, 2009
Hmmm!!! very interesting thread. Well, as for me. If its a lady am even considering dating at the time and they happend to bring before me as a choice of wife. i will gladly accept but if its the other way round like forcing me on someone. hhhhmmmm!!! them no go even see me for their house again not to mention come marry woman. grin
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by amaikama(m): 10:00am On Apr 07, 2009
We don hear abot the run away bride abi, we go soon hear the run away groom grin
Re: Can Your Parents Choose Your Spouse for You? by corrall(f): 7:30am On Aug 02, 2009
i have read so many responses and they are all stereotyped, no, God forbid, it cant happen. But what about some of us that end up listening to our [arents when u bring a girl home , n and they say no, she is not from our place, or something like dat, YOU CANT MARRY HER. what do u call that? They are practically choosing a wife for u.

as for me, like someone said, its not a forceful thing, if they introduce someone to me, i'll get to meet the person, n have an open mind about it, if i get to like d person along the line, no sweat, if not, then i'll give them d reasons y i cant marry him, finish.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kids Do The Darnest Things / Nigerians' Sad Response To Rape Cases Is Sick Supporting Timaya And Lecturer / Pregnancy: A Prerequisite To Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.