Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043902 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbey621(m): 1:59pm On Mar 18, 2017
kiekie1:

Hello, if you have gone through few pages already , you wld notice where we advised prospective solar newbies to start gradually especially when you got a tight budget ! #1m budget for an inverter & solar set up to power up an AC,3 rms & parlour, freezer et al ! Call for detailed enquiry if you truly want to enjoy a solar-inverter set up .. O8I35O3I95I

Are you available for a chat? Whatsapp, BBM or Facebook?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2017
abbey621:

Are you available for a chat? Whatsapp, BBM or Facebook?

Nope , been busy for supplies etc .. I just replied your what's app mail now whilst driving ! I always pay more attention to clients calling as I know most clients can call for 5hours NON-STOP cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2017
efuro:

Come out clean with ur request for genuine help. With ur dc cables, hybrid inverter &cc statements. I assume u know the answer to ur request already. If ur lost, pls go through the thread again u will find repeated answers to ur request.

Yep I also replied his mail regarding our durable solar pv cables (6-10mm).. I acknowledge enquiry calls mostly late evenings when am settled at home .. Its not really easy for me to entertain questions & answers during the hot busy day u know !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbey621(m): 3:11pm On Mar 18, 2017
kiekie1:

Nope , been busy for supplies etc .. I just replied your what's app mail now whilst driving ! I always pay more attention to clients calling as I know most clients can call for 5hours NON-STOP cheesy

I guess I'll just have to wait till I get to 9ja. I'm still on a business trip in remote Alabama and long distance calling is not an option. I'll hit you up when I arrive. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:52pm On Mar 18, 2017
abbey621:

I guess I'll just have to wait till I get to 9ja. I'm still on a business trip in remote Alabama and long distance calling is not an option. I'll hit you up when I arrive. Thanks.

OK was thinking u within Nigeria tho.. What's app: +2348135031951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 4:20pm On Mar 18, 2017
efuro:

Come out clean with ur request for genuine help. With ur dc cables, hybrid inverter &cc statements. I assume u know the answer to ur request already. If ur lost, pls go through the thread again u will find repeated answers to ur request.

My question was clear enough all I needed was a better Ideas from experienced user... I have gone through the thread..

I mentioned what I have and asked what Is left...
Battery Bank and best Type ?
Charge Controller?
PV array size? Total wattage required?

I don't know how efficient panels are... I have used inverter
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:46pm On Mar 18, 2017
17.6KWH harvest today from my set up.
RE rules.
My house is the only one with light in the street.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:47pm On Mar 18, 2017
Demerciful, congratulations on the arrival of your new batteries.
RE rules brother.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 8:22pm On Mar 18, 2017
abunafiu:
RE rules.
Great. How did you deal with the failing Trojans?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:56pm On Mar 18, 2017
By Gods grace you were able to say let there be light and there was light. congrats...RE rules cheesy
abunafiu:
RE rules.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by modik(m): 8:57pm On Mar 18, 2017
Dear House,

I need a solar solution that can help me achieve the following:

Power 1 laptop 24/7

Power 6 energy saver bulbs

Power a 42"Lcd TV.

This requirement may expand later but I need the above for a start

Please reply.

What gadgets would suffice and budget too.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 9:26pm On Mar 18, 2017
abunafiu:
Demerciful, congratulations on the arrival of your new batteries.
RE rules brother.

@abunafiu
grin grin enjoy enjoy & enjoy ur investment/sweat . I hope it will inspire young ones on ur street to think solar
Pls what was ur AH juice ur batteries received at 17.6kwh (I figure it should be close to 555AH)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:29pm On Mar 18, 2017
DUNKA:
Great. How did you deal with the failing Trojans?
The batteries were equalised. Then I decided to manage them like that.
Never discharge below 48.5V daily.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by teamman(m): 5:06am On Mar 19, 2017
Hi, kindly send an email to towerbuilder2003@yahoo.com. We will send you our website and other installation pictures with references.
abbey621:
Wow, all this solar stuff is confusing. Can anyone recommend a good installer. I'm looking for a solar setup able to power at least 1 AC and a freezer in a 3 bedroom flat. My budget is a maximum of 1m. I'll be arriving Nigeria next week and need this installation as soon as possible in the Ajah area. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 6:50am On Mar 19, 2017
DMerciful:
House,

One out of two of my LiFeO4 batteries arrived today, hopefully the second arrives next week or upper week so I can do the required testing and share the review. Coming soon cheesy

Hello boss, please how can I get one too?

What's your own capacity?
I got this after research

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:45am On Mar 19, 2017
abunafiu:
RE rules.

Lol my oga, no let street pple jealous u too much o,cos I trust my naija pple.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:47am On Mar 19, 2017
DMerciful:
House,

One out of two of my LiFeO4 batteries arrived today, hopefully the second arrives next week or upper week so I can do the required testing and share the review. Coming soon cheesy

Congrats sir, awaiting ur reviews

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:55am On Mar 19, 2017
Monlo:
Good morning my fellow Sun hunters,for use in RE!
Firstly,thanks to God,Almighty for breathe of life.
In this era of internet scammers everywhere,a few people are still to be trusted online.In lite manner,I must commend the Generous Scholar,@DMerciful for his benevolence,time etc for shipping the Inverter I bought from him cheaply in good time to my base.Permit me to let you know that I just did an overhaul of my system as well as upgrade to 24V,1500W Inverter this morning.Wao,it is running as I type this.See pics below.
Again, @DMerciful,THANK YOU ,very much.
RE rules!
Nice upgrade for a 24v, pls try to mk ur setup neater, i see cables flying, no ba3 rack also. You can check n like our Facebook page for beautiful installation pictures and solar tips. Http://facebook.com/monzpowersolutions

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 9:24am On Mar 19, 2017
zeestone99:

Nice upgrade for a 24v, pls try to mk ur setup neater, i see cables flying, no ba3 rack also. You can check n like our Facebook page for beautiful installation pictures and solar tips. Http://facebook.com/monzpowersolutions
I know that its more aesthetically pleasant to mount a charge controller on wood.. I have always preferred mounting mine on the wall.. Especially fanless controllers. That way the contrate acts as an extra layer of heat absorption.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:36am On Mar 19, 2017
This is the one I got but i negotiated with the seller for $500 however hold on till I do the testing and share just incase its not upto expectation
Dam5reey:

Hello boss, please how can I get one too?

What's your own capacity?
I got this after research
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 11:47am On Mar 19, 2017
DMerciful:
This is the one I got but i negotiated with the seller for $500 however hold on till I do the testing and share just incase its not upto expectation

I will wait, thanks...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Monlo(m): 12:43pm On Mar 19, 2017
bigrovar:

I know that its more aesthetically pleasant to mount a charge controller on wood.. I have always preferred mounting mine on the wall.. Especially fanless controllers. That way the contrate acts as an extra layer of heat absorption.

zeestone99:

My gurus l hail you all.Observations duely acknowledged.I remain loyal to you all for all I have learnt here.One love

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:00pm On Mar 19, 2017
bigrovar:

I believe u nd i agree, either wood or wall, a setup shud be neat. ll also put ur suggestion in mind 4 review... Cheers and hapi Sunday
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:17pm On Mar 19, 2017
House,

Started monitoring my system over the internet but still tweaking until i'm able to reach appreciable performance however, i can view harvest anywhere in the world. it has the potential for remote control of items connected to the load part of the cc but not yet working hopefully i get it to work. RE ruling with a style cheesy
see below for now .

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 4:36pm On Mar 19, 2017
zeestone99:

I believe u nd i agree, either wood or wall, a setup shud be neat. ll also put ur suggestion in mind 4 review... Cheers and hapi Sunday
we agree.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:38pm On Mar 19, 2017
I agree the setup needs to be need but urs isn't very neat either grin.'mind securing the hanging cable conduits...kids might pull it you know grin grin
zeestone99:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Empiree: 12:00am On Mar 20, 2017
sathob:
Well, great people of FTA, I think I should start this on behalf of George_D because of the request made by others who have expressed interest in alternate electricity, especially solar energy. Our FTA independence is not complete if we are to suffer frequent power outages and been dependant on the nation’s electricity grid system always. I have read in this house many times, from members “PHCN don go off, so I will track later when they come back”. No one can run away from power outages in the main electricity grid – not even the west, it happens. Hence, we all should have alternate electricity and using renewable energy is, to me, the best. This means one can enjoy their FTA fully by being totally free and not “dom” (dominated).

Look at some advantages
• Lower or no electricity bills
• Compared to generator users, there is no fuel cost and stress of getting it and no fumes.
• People living in the remote locations where power is unavailable or too expensive to hook-up too can have electricity.
Just to mention but a few.

Without going into detail, one can enjoy electricity by means of using solar energy (energy from the sun), wind mill (using energy from the wind). Don’t forget, where there is frequent electricity supply from the utility company, you can store some energy for back up.

You will need the following to complete a solar project or back up.

1. Solar panels
2. Power Inverter
3. Charge controller
4. Batteries to store energy
5. wires and cables
6. Monitors/meters

The solar panel consists of cells called photo voltaic cells and these, covert the energy received from the sun to electricity in simple terms (this electricity is a direct current
d.c). The panels can last up to 20 years plus. The panels can be fixed, adjustable or of the tracking type. You can decide to go for a complete panel from manufacturers (already made) or build panels by yourself using solar cells- the latter is for the hobbyist. The panels are rated in watts eg 80w solar panel supplying 12v continuous at a given time

The inverter
Power Inverters are available in 3 basic designs, two of which I remember very well now – the one that out sinusoidal waves and those that are modified sign wave type (meaning not pure sine waves and do have limits when it comes to its application) . The power inverter converts your storage battery power into the 240 volts AC that runs your appliances. It is the heart of your solar energy system. Unless you only run 12 volt DC appliances you will need a power inverter to supply your AC. This is just the basics.

The Charge Controller
A Charge Controller is necessary to protect the batteries from over charging and supply them with the proper amount of energy to promote long battery life.

Batteries
Without Storage Batteries to store energy you would only have power when the sun was shining. There is a lot more to batteries than just the ordinary car battery. Yo may need to change batteries over the years.

Wires and Cables
Without the right size of cables, you are likely to experience inefficient transfer of power (greater losses) and overheating.

Meters
This is required to monitor the performance of your solar system.

Firstly, it is very necessary to know what gadgets you will be using (eg.tv, sat. receiver) and how long you will use how long you would have them on the solar power and how much energy your battery can store and which solar panel (rating in power) will supply the required energy.

A lot goes into calculating the cost of setting up a solar system. First one has to consider the period of usable sunlight available at their location to do this calculation. For us here close to the equator, we get about 7 to 8 hours or more of sunlight during dry season, just a rough estimate.

How do I know I need 100w or 80w or 300 watts solar panel for my project?

The power consumption of appliances is given in Watts. To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of use.

Eg. If I have 90W tv set which I want to use for 6hrs, 25W satellite receiver for the same period, and a 50W fan for 3 hours. What will be the energy required from the solar panels for the period?

1. the energy for each appliance is Watts x time (hours) = Wh

So, the watt hours for the tv = 90 x 6 = 540 Wh (watt hours)

Watt hours for sat. receiver = 25 x 6 = 150 Wh

Watt hours for fan will be = 50 x 3 = 150 Wh

2. sum the watt hours for the individual appliances ie. 540 + 150 + 150 = 840 Wh (watt hours)

This means that the solar panel will need to supply 840 watt hours of energy to the battery each day to cover the total power required by these appliances.

3. since there are bound to be losses in the system However, to account for natural losses, we multiply the result by 1.2 (this factor allows for natural system losses, assuming 85% efficiency). Therefore, we will assume the panels will actually need to be able to supply a total of
840 x 1.2 = 1008Wh

4. so, to supply 1008Wh of energy the panel we assume to receive 7 hours of sunlight will be rated at 1008 Wh / 7 h = 144W
So, I will need 144W solar panel to supply energy to my appliances above at the given time.

Regarding point 3, it also means, if I have a solar panel rated at 100W receiving sunlight for 7 hours a day, the total energy supplied considering 85% efficiency will be 100x7x0.85= 595Wh and not 700Wh

5. Your battery should be able to store 1008Wh of energy. Since batteries capacities are rated in Ah (Ampere Hours) you need to multiply Ah by the Volt rating to know the Watt Hour. Power(W) = Voltage (V) x Current (I) ; Watt hour = VxIxHour

Therefore Ah (which is I x h) = Wh / V = 1008 / 12 (the number 12 represents a 12v battery)
= 84 Ah

So it means you will need not less than a 84Ah, 12V battery (deep-cycle batteries, not ordinary car batteries) to do the job.

NB. Another way of calculating battery capacity is explained in this example. Should my battery be rated at 84Ah, 12V the watt hour (energy) will be 84Ah x 12 V = 1008Ah

It implies that the battery can supply a 150watt appliance for 1008/70 = 14hours

Pls don’t just play around with batteries they are dangerous.
I need some guidelines to go about this please. THE COST

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 12:16am On Mar 20, 2017
Empiree:
I need some guidelines to go about this please. THE COST
Kindly take time to study this thread.
You have a lot to learn.
Then u can now ask about the cost.
Except if you want to give it out as a contract.
We can help with that as well.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Empiree: 1:33am On Mar 20, 2017
abunafiu:

Kindly take time to study this thread.
You have a lot to learn.
Then u can now ask about the cost.
Except if you want to give it out as a contract.
We can help with that as well.
I know right. First all, I'm not in this field but it is good thing you encourage people to go through and learn themeselves. I will try to read as much as I can in my spare time. However I would need average cost of it. Are panels i need depend on size of my house?. I would probably need 4 to 5 panels.

I may not be able to read everything in this thread but definitely I should have an idea what you do. I have preexisting idea from other threads from 3yrear ago actually.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:02am On Mar 20, 2017
kiekie1:

Fairly used SYNERGY 200a @ 60k "limited qty".. Just got them after battery overhaul maintenance .. Running a comprehensive 800-900w individual load TEST on them nw & results has been splendid ..Pls Call if u need them !

Almost finished ....

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Ithaca(f)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.