Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,225 members, 7,829,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (244) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2088929 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (1707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sensisosu: 11:55am On May 14, 2017
This is my solar set up..

I forgot to add that my charge controller is the 60amps mppt charge controller

Please I need an advice on how to get the best out of my system.. thank you all in advance

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 12:18pm On May 14, 2017
Happy Customer Testimonial

I paid bigrovar for a 48V solar charge controller, he sent it from Abuja to PHC as promised and the stuff is doing very well as seen in the photos. Thank you brother.

The panels are from GeorgeD1, he's great bro too.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 1:48pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:

Please I need an advice on how to get the best out of my system.. thank you all in advance
please did you pay for installation?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 3:50pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:

your roof is too steep, laying ur panels flat will not give you optimal harvest.6deg is the recommended inclinationation, urs seem to be upto 65deg!!!
you need to buy prefab panel racks with adjustable legs, kiekie had some for sale a while ago, and richmond i think

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ola28: 3:56pm On May 14, 2017
ola28:
VICTRON MPPT CHARGE CONTROLLER 150V/85A @200k

PLS CALL OLA ON 09057285592

PV voltage up to 150 V
The BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 and 150/85 charge controllers will charge a lower nominal-voltage battery from a
higher nominal voltage PV array.
The controller will automatically adjust to a 12, 24, 36, or 48V nominal battery voltage.
Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)
Especially in case of a clouded sky, when light intensity is changing continuously, an ultra-fast MPPT controller
will improve energy harvest by up to 30% compared to PWM charge controllers and by up to 10% compared to
slower MPPT controllers.
Advanced Maximum Power Point Detection in case of partial shading conditions
If partial shading occurs, two or more maximum power points may be present on the power-voltage curve.
Conventional MPPT’s tend to lock to a local MPP, which may not be the optimum MPP.
The innovative BlueSolar algorithm will always maximize energy harvest by locking to the optimum MPP.
Outstanding conversion efficiency
Maximum efficiency exceeds 98%. Full output current up to 40°C (104°F).
Flexible charge algorithm
Several preconfigured algorithms. One user programmable algorithm.
Manual or automatic equalisation.
Battery temperature sensor. Battery voltage sense option.
Programmable auxiliary relay
For alarm or generator start purposes
Extensive electronic protection
Over-temperature protection and power derating when temperature is high.
PV short circuit and PV reverse polarity protection.
Reverse current protection.
CAN bus
To parallel up to 25 units, to connect to a ColorControl panel or to connect to a CAN bus network
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:07pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:
Thanks for your inputs.. I have decided to provide pictures hopefully that would help to find a solution to my problem

Secondly I would like to know how to equalize my battery.. do I have to charge it without powering my system on..? I hope that doesn't sound too naive..

Basically my average loads include
3 ceiling fans
Bulbs
Samsung Fridge(which I usually turn off by 6pm)

from ur pic, can see ur cc is epsolar , its same type am using.
your problem is too fold.
cos ur panels are not placed optimally..they are not generating enuff juice to charge ur bank, generally u need C/10 amps for flooded batteries...ie if ur batt is 200amps...u need a charging current of 200/8=25amps minimum to charge them optimally and prevent sulphation.

2ndly go into the settings of ur cc, and select ur charging voltages, in there u will also see the equalization setting which is every month...select 15.5v per battery as equalization voltage.

i hv 6 x 250w 24v panels with 60amps epsolar cc, my output hits 1270w/45amps, though the avg is about 27amps- 35amps

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodeface: 4:55pm On May 14, 2017
Team DIY,

I am monitoring and inspecting my proposed site for the solar panel installation and these questions arise, I need the expert advice;

1. I observed that the area where I am proposing to install has the shadow of electric wire line (small line shadow) and small portion of the electric pole shadow that pass through the place around 2:45pm (Note I have limited space to install)

2. Whats the maximum distance between the Solar panels and the Charge controller, also between the charge controller and the battery or as long the cable are properly sized it doesn't matter?

3. Is it compulsory to install the surge controller with every installation, if so what type is cheaper and effective, where could i source this, for the combiner box must it be OEM type or can one get one locally or fabricate or is there a make shift type that could be used as I do not see so much specialty in combiner box as it looks like a small DB could be used for combining.

4. If I have two banks of battery 48VDC, 4 X 200Ah with two independent 3.5KVA inverters to each bank and I want a single PV system to charge the two banks, is it possible and if possible how will the battery configuration / connection be, also from calculation and experience what wattage of PV panels will be able to effectively charge the two bank together.

Thanks team for all help.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Godliftedme: 6:27pm On May 14, 2017
Without loosing focus on the post before mine begging for answer, I need urgently 4 No's of Quanta Amaron 200Ah Battery.
Kindly post here or mail me; smartbuy.savings@gmail.com
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 6:58pm On May 14, 2017
BUY NIJA PRODUCTS

please I need information on AUXANO SOLAR Products and price

has anyone had experience with their hybrid inverter or mppt CC or their actual pv rating ?

Do they have auxano ba3 too?

do they have extended warranty on their products?

thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viperVIP: 7:27pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:
I have had the opportunity of doing business with kiekie and I can authoritatively say that he doesn't value his customers, very rude and money is all that matters to me..

You will even send him message on his personal number he will be forming too busy..

I am not here to spoil business for u oo but the way you conduct business doesn't leave a good impression on anyone..

****smiling**** cos I know Whatsup. I feel you bro.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sensisosu: 7:48pm On May 14, 2017
earthrealm:

from ur pic, can see ur cc is epsolar , its same type am using.
your problem is too fold.
cos ur panels are not placed optimally..they are not generating enuff juice to charge ur bank, generally u need C/10 amps for flooded batteries...ie if ur batt is 200amps...u need a charging current of 200/8=25amps minimum to charge them optimally and prevent sulphation.

2ndly go into the settings of ur cc, and select ur charging voltages, in there u will also see the equalization setting which is every month...select 15.5v per battery as equalization voltage.

i hv 6 x 250w 24v panels with 60amps epsolar cc, my output hits 1270w/45amps, though the avg is about 27amps- 35amps

Boss, I have a 8 250w mono solar panels, I tried going into settings in my epsolar charge controller and couldn't find where to get the equalization settings.. please I would love if you can give me more elaborate explanation and how to go about this..

How can I get this 6deg to give my solar panels the right elevation.. ?

I should be getting more from my system than what I am getting now.. please help out
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sensisosu: 7:51pm On May 14, 2017
JUO:
please did you pay for installation?

Boss yes I paid for it.. but what do I know? I'm a novice hence why I have come to this forum for help from gurus like you.. your input will highly be appreciated. Thank you
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 8:09pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:

Boss, I have a 8 250w mono solar panels, I tried going into settings in my epsolar charge controller and couldn't find where to get the equalization settings.. please I would love if you can give me more elaborate explanation and how to go about this..

How can I get this 6deg to give my solar panels the right elevation.. ?

I should be getting more from my system than what I am getting now.. please help out

my cc setup is in the villa, so cant guide you tru the steps..but download the manual and read..u will see how to set it.
its just after where you would specify ur batt bank capacity in AH.

@bolded, i explained that you need to buy solar racks with adjustable legs!.
see the attached picture, maybe you would understand.for such a steep roof..laying your panels flat is a big NO NO

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:23pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:

Boss yes I paid for it.. but what do I know? I'm a novice hence why I have come to this forum for help from gurus like you.. your input will highly be appreciated. Thank you
Might look like tough love but sir you need to do some home work yourself.. The equalisation setting is in your controller manual. Might want to read up on battery charging for deep cycle battery. There is no short cut to knowledge you just have to have the craving to learn.

From the pictures you posted here are my observation

Batteries are mixed. Never. Good thing to mix different batteries : trojan and different tubular batteries all have different internal resistance .. Also are those batteries new? I doubt it. Mixing batteries will slow the weaker battery drain the bank and the stronger one get over charged and damaged.

Also your battery cable seem too thin for your setup. You can't get optimal charge with those cables.

You are yet to tell what direction your solar panels are facing east west north or south.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodeface: 8:45pm On May 14, 2017
Team, I need your assistance

bodeface:
Team DIY,

I am monitoring and inspecting my proposed site for the solar panel installation and these questions arise, I need the expert advice;

1. I observed that the area where I am proposing to install has the shadow of electric wire line (small line shadow) and small portion of the electric pole shadow that pass through the place around 2:45pm (Note I have limited space to install)

2. Whats the maximum distance between the Solar panels and the Charge controller, also between the charge controller and the battery or as long the cable are properly sized it doesn't matter?

3. Is it compulsory to install the surge controller with every installation, if so what type is cheaper and effective, where could i source this, for the combiner box must it be OEM type or can one get one locally or fabricate or is there a make shift type that could be used as I do not see so much specialty in combiner box as it looks like a small DB could be used for combining.

4. If I have two banks of battery 48VDC, 4 X 200Ah with two independent 3.5KVA inverters to each bank and I want a single PV system to charge the two banks, is it possible and if possible how will the battery configuration / connection be, also from calculation and experience what wattage of PV panels will be able to effectively charge the two bank together.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:23pm On May 14, 2017
Bought the 48v mppt controller, opened it and did not see the characteristics inductor(toroidal coils), i returned it sharpaly to the seller grin. their inverter algorithm is nice though
efuro:
BUY NIJA PRODUCTS

please I need information on AUXANO SOLAR Products and price

has anyone had experience with their hybrid inverter or mppt CC or their actual pv rating ?

Do they have auxano ba3 too?

do they have extended warranty on their products?

thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:43pm On May 14, 2017
See my response below
bodeface:
Team DIY,

1. I observed that the area where I am proposing to install has the shadow of electric wire line (small line shadow) and small portion of the electric pole shadow that pass through the place around 2:45pm (Note I have limited space to install)-since you are constrained by space, get a panel with high Voc so you can do 2 x n (where n=2, 3 , 4 ) that way when one string has shadow other strings strings continue producing appreciable power. ensure your wires are thick enuf.

2. Whats the maximum distance between the Solar panels and the Charge controller, also between the charge controller and the battery or as long the cable are properly sized it doesn't matter? Normally if the distance is long then higher panel voltage is advised however based on the reco i gave in point 1 above, i will recomend the distance be as short as possible and use pretty thick cables(16mm and above).for CC to battery, limit to under 2m cable lenth and 16mm thickness

3. Is it compulsory to install the surge controller with every installation, if so what type is cheaper and effective, where could i source this, for the combiner box must it be OEM type or can one get one locally or fabricate or is there a make shift type that could be used as I do not see so much specialty in combiner box as it looks like a small DB could be used for combining.-its prudent to install surge protector abi you wan compare the small amount wey u go spend for surge protector with the high cost of ur cc and inverter? where to source? buzz me tru my signature.

4. If I have two banks of battery 48VDC, 4 X 200Ah with two independent 3.5KVA inverters to each bank and I want a single PV system to charge the two banks, is it possible and if possible how will the battery configuration / connection be, also from calculation and experience what wattage of PV panels will be able to effectively charge the two bank together.Best thing is to split the panels to two systems as well. are u worried about the cost of double CC? its more or less almost same to get 1 big cc or 2 small-medium cc.

i hope i've been able to help...let me know if u need more clarification

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sensisosu: 10:00pm On May 14, 2017
bigrovar:

Might look like tough love but sir you need to do some home work yourself.. The equalisation setting is in your controller manual. Might want to read up on battery charging for deep cycle battery. There is no short cut to knowledge you just have to have the craving to learn.

From the pictures you posted here are my observation

Batteries are mixed. Never. Good thing to mix different batteries : trojan and different tubular batteries all have different internal resistance .. Also are those batteries new? I doubt it. Mixing batteries will slow the weaker battery drain the bank and the stronger one get over charged and damaged.

Also your battery cable seem too thin for your setup. You can't get optimal charge with those cables.

You are yet to tell what direction your solar panels are facing east west north or south.

I will definitely read up some reading about deep cycle charging..

Please can you recommend the correct charging cables for my batteries..?

Thank you boss
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sensisosu: 10:01pm On May 14, 2017
earthrealm:

my cc setup is in the villa, so cant guide you tru the steps..but download the manual and read..u will see how to set it.

see the attached picture, maybe you would understand.for such a steep roof..laying your panels flat is a big NO NO

Boss thank you for your input.. please I would like to know where I can buy the solar rack with adjustable legs?

Thank you boss
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 10:01pm On May 14, 2017
DMerciful:
Bought the 48v mppt controller, opened it and did not see the characteristics inductor(toroidal coils), i returned it sharpaly to the seller grin. their inverter algorithm is nice though

thanks great scholar.

I hope to get more review from the thread. hoping dat we need to buy nija & grow our own solar industry with a view of forcing down prices over time, say 5yrs time.

instead of chasing dollar and transferring chunk of our wealth to China

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 10:24pm On May 14, 2017
sensisosu:

Boss thank you for your input.. please I would like to know where I can buy the solar rack with adjustable legs?

Thank you boss

some installers can be frustrating. they make people hate solar after huge investment.

and again some customers may claim too wise resulting to " penny wise pound foolish" and not agree with professional advise.

which ever,
I commend ur determination in making ur solar do-able rather enjoyable. ur burning desire to perfect ur setup is making u overlook simple but crucial questions put to you on the thread.
go back read them point by point & provide ur observation as they are, don't coverup mistakes we all make mistakes. before gurus loose interest in attending to u. we have tens & tens of gurus reading & not commenting, maybe u will have their sympathy to redeem ur setup.

in the meantime ur on the right path to R/E.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:27pm On May 14, 2017
DMerciful:
See my response below

Good evening Boss... Can you give few update on the 100AH Lithium battery.. how is the performance like, after a month... how do you charge it..?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:31pm On May 14, 2017
Its been awesome. connected it to my inverter and charge with the inverter or cc. i have a battery switch that allows me to select either the lithium bank, the flooded battery bank or both. I mostly use both combine in order to reduced the charging current going into the lithium. Highly recomended.
Dam5reey:

Good evening Boss... Can you give few update on the 100AH Lithium battery.. how is the performance like, after a month... how do you charge it..?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:43pm On May 14, 2017
DMerciful:
Its been awesome. connected it to my inverter and charge with the inverter or cc. i have a battery switch that allows me to select either the lithium bank, the flooded battery bank or both. I mostly use both combine in order to reduced the charging current going into the lithium. Highly recomended.

I appreciate.. smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 10:47pm On May 14, 2017
DMerciful:

10yrs of off grid guaranteed
10yrs of saving diesel/petrol money.
10yrs of saving estimated billing.

I foresee you building 5 star hotel soon with ur huge savings from wise investment in solar.

thumb up my brother. daz nija spirit.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 11:00pm On May 14, 2017
Thanks Bro cheesy
efuro:

10yrs of off grid guaranteed
10yrs of saving diesel/petrol money.
10yrs of saving estimated billing.

I foresee you building 5 star hotel soon with ur huge savings from wise investment in solar.

thumb up my brother. daz nija spirit.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 3:47am On May 15, 2017
sensisosu:

go to setup and select flooded battery, equalization is automatic depending on how you drain the battery once or twice a month. Get a rack as advised
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nisol: 5:10am On May 15, 2017
earthrealm:

The solar racks introduce another factor of wind resistance.
There is a tendency for wind to rip them off the roof.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:25am On May 15, 2017
sensisosu:

Thank you boss

seems you dont bother to read posts thoroughly, all these your new questions hv been answered in my other posts.
anyway, i don tire to dey answer already answered questions.

last shot, confirm that the cable i highlighted in yellow is not from the CC?.that cable looks small. and hope the distance btw ur cc-bank is less than 15ft, you need thick cables that can carry upto 55amps since u hv 2kw panels and 60amps cc, go for 16mm or higher.

also confirm that the cables you used to link ur batts are also 16mm and higher, personally i prefer 25mm and above for all connections.

3rdly like you hv been advised..mixing batts is another NO NO in RE setup [slow internet, the pic didntload properly b4], that trojan in the midst of the other batts is a bad idea, and ur batt bank looks like 2nd hand too, so it is also difficult to know the true state/performance of such set up

@nisol
nisol:

The solar racks introduce another factor of wind resistance.
There is a tendency for wind to rip them off the roof.

very very true, thats why i hate all this steep roof craze in naija, prefer flat roofs.now he is torn btw the devil and deep blue sea, depending on his location and a lil luck he may be fortunate and the wind doesnt rip it off, but placing the panels flat is a huge waste of resources/energy

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodeface: 9:04am On May 15, 2017
@Dmerciful,

Thanks so much for your time and explanation, may be what I will do is that I will combine the two circuit and use only one inverter, the two banks are just redundant, they do same job. Just wanted to ensure there is always power available.

How much is your surge protectors? Please, you missed the second part of my question:
"for the combiner box must it be OEM type or can one get one locally or fabricate or is there a make shift type that could be used as I do not see so much specialty in combiner box as it looks like a small DB could be used for combining"

DMerciful:
See my response below
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 9:28am On May 15, 2017
DMerciful:

@DMerciful

Pls bro, kindly give us a peep into your setup. Lets have pictures of your amazing setup. Thanks.

NB: GeorgeD1 be warming up ooo. I know you did several upgrades and other wonderful gurus too. We learn a lot from pictures.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 9:32am On May 15, 2017
@all

Is anyone using the Solar Water heater in this forum? pls share pictures of your installation.

thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (241) (242) (243) (244) (245) (246) (247) ... (1707) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.