Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,276 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (277) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2047791 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (1683) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 2:10pm On Jul 27, 2017
kiekie1:

Hello , pls before you use peoples images or fellow installer pics in your website , I strictly advice you to seek their consent ... I even came across a private pic of my inverter set up in your website which looks totally absurd & unprofessional .. I see no reason why you use peoples picture to decorate your website and claim unrealistic glory , it's SCAM to me and totally UNETHICAL ... Cheers

hahahahahahah, karma is a bi,tch.
someone made a similar accusation against you some time ago, either c0OGUMUO or one of the old reliables grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 4:46pm On Jul 27, 2017
JohnKester:

Performing just as it did last year, when we had 10 days of continuous rainy/cloudy days, we still had hot water with the few hours of sunlight that comes up daily. We had hot water all throughout. The only difference is that it would not be as hot as in the dry season, but good enough to still mix it otherwise you can scald your skin!

Cheers

wow, am more encouraged now.
it now remains who would be the first to install this in a fresh build,
it would be a radical departure from the usual, and many nay sayers would be on overdrive to discourage one.
i think i wud put it on my sumo tank stand, or many above the sumo tanks, to prevent shading

who has done a new build and incorporated this?, come gimme tips
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 6:31pm On Jul 27, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by donmajor2: 11:12pm On Jul 27, 2017
oneshowguy:
Kung Long Batteries Industrial Co., Ltd. is a publicly traded expert manufacturer of lead acid batteries. It owns and operates two manufacturing facilities in Taiwan and one in Viet Nam. It manufactures more than 200 different types of batteries, including batteries for electric vehicles, uninterrupted power supply systems, alternative energy systems, solar energy systems, mobile energy, motorcycle and automotive uses. More information concerning Kung Long Batteries is available on its website at http://www.kunglong.com/

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 200AH Kung Long batteries. They are sure good batteries!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:34am On Jul 28, 2017
kiekie1:

Hello , pls before you use peoples images or fellow installer pics in your website , I strictly advice you to seek their consent ... I even came across a private pic of my inverter set up in your website which looks totally absurd & unprofessional .. I see no reason why you use peoples picture to decorate your website and claim unrealistic glory , it's SCAM to me and totally UNETHICAL ... Cheers

That's very bad and unethical, found several of my installation pictures on his site, most of the pictures there are scam. I can't just imagine sum1 thinking my installation wch I use in marketing myself belongs to someone else. Thanks for notifying us

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 1:57am On Jul 28, 2017
Reprobate:

hahahahahahah, karma is a bi,tch.
someone made a similar accusation against you some time ago, either c0OGUMUO or one of the old reliables grin grin grin
It was with Richmon74 but it had to do with stock pictures of solar products e.g panels, batteries etc and not passing off someone's installations as your own. There is a big difference as that is deceptive marketing and for a consumer a total misrepresentation.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:10am On Jul 28, 2017
kiekie1:
FAIRLY NEW

Recently upgraded this systems and all up for grabs wit its warranty seal still intact .. All working "inverting/charging" like new ;

-Mercury 3kva 24v LCD display pure sinewave power inverter worth 200-220k for brand new
-Sinergy 3.5kva 48v LCD display pure sinewave power inverter
-Fairly new 200a batteries "Loading soon"

Strictly for interested clients as its half the price of its brand-new

Call >> +234-813-503-1951

-3.5kva SOLD
-Mercury 3kva 24v still in stock
-Full river batteries (Just 2 fairly new units left)

Call >> +234-813-503-1951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by PRAGNigeria: 10:19am On Jul 28, 2017
What is depth of discharge (DOD)?

DOD, also known as “Depth of Discharge” is used to describe how deeply the battery is discharged or should be discharged. If we say a battery is 100% fully charged, it means the DOD of this battery is 0%.

When a battery have delivered 30% of its energy and having 70% energy left, this means that the battery is at 30% DOD. A battery that is totally used is at 100% DOD.

to read the full details on this, click the link below
https:///swn8JT
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 1:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
DUNKA:
It was with Richmon74 but it had to do with stock pictures of solar products e.g panels, batteries etc and not passing off someone's installations as your own. There is a big difference as that is deceptive marketing and for a consumer a total misrepresentation.

Ok I understand now, isn't exactly the same thing.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 6:48pm On Jul 28, 2017
earthrealm:

wow, am more encouraged now.
it now remains who would be the first to install this in a fresh build,
it would be a radical departure from the usual, and many nay sayers would be on overdrive to discourage one.
i think i wud put it on my sumo tank stand, or many above the sumo tanks, to prevent shading

who has done a new build and incorporated this?, come gimme tips

Mine is actually on a new building and central hot water supply system was already provided for in the piping design.

I did not have much problem with the installation because the building has a concrete flat roof and I just installed it on the roof.

It can be installed anywhere you have direct unhindered sunlight to it even if it is not close to the tank stand. All that is required is to pipe inlet supply to it and pipe outlet to the house and the rest is for it to work. It can be on its own tank stand, which however, should be below the level of the water supply tank stand, so that gravity can still supply water to the water heater.

Note that having it above your tank stand would mean that you will require a pump to send water to it, or pump directly from the sumo to it. However, this may not function well as the tank may run dry, except of course you automate the pumping which may deplete your batteries if it happens frequently at night when there is no sunlight. The design of the solar water heater is such that once water is going into the house from the outlet, the inlet will automatically open to let in water to fill up the tank. You will achieve better result if water supply to it comes from your overhead tank that will not require power.

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2017
johnkester,
that was spot on. i couldn't have said it better.
welldone!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by donmajor2: 10:53pm On Jul 28, 2017
JohnKester:

Mine is actually on a new building and central hot water supply system was already provided for in the piping design.

I did not have much problem with the installation because the building has a concrete flat roof and I just installed it on the roof.

It can be installed anywhere you have direct unhindered sunlight to it even if it is not close to the tank stand. All that is required is to pipe inlet supply to it and pipe outlet to the house and the rest is for it to work. It can be on its own tank stand, which however, should be below the level of the water supply tank stand, so that gravity can still supply water to the water heater.

Note that having it above your tank stand would mean that you will require a pump to send water to it, or pump directly from the sumo to it. However, this may not function well as the tank may run dry, except of course you automate the pumping which may deplete your batteries if it happens frequently at night when there is no sunlight. The design of the solar water heater is such that once water is going into the house from the outlet, the inlet will automatically open to let in water to fill up the tank. You will achieve better result if water supply to it comes from your overhead tank that will not require power.

Cheers

@ GeorgeD1, JohnKester, you guys are really wonderful. This solar water heating system is an important and interesting chapter in RE deployment. A lot of us, newbies are following closely and learning fast. This will influence the plumbing pattern of my new crib under construction. Kudos seniors. RE rules!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 2:43am On Jul 30, 2017
abunafiu:
Two days ago, my harvest jumped to 19.7kwh.
The rains are here again.

I want to stress the importance of washing our panels.

During the hamarttan, I saw someone wash his panels but his hands couldn't reach most part of the panels. Even after it had rained here for about 4 times, you can still clearly see the unwashed part of the panels.

Before most of us used to assume only rain can do the washing. But I just observed washing requires more than rain.

My Trojan batteries are improving performance by the day.

Good morning.
Abu Goodday please how are your Trojans doing now?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 6:26pm On Jul 30, 2017
DUNKA:
Abu Goodday please how are your Trojans doing now?

He has been off the forums for a while now but I saw him 3 days back. His batteries are kicking strong once more.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 8:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
donmajor2:

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 200AH Kung Long batteries. They are sure good batteries!

Hello Donmajor,

The Kung Long 200Ah would be available in Nigeria by august . I hope you've enjoyed the 150AH you bought from us the last time.

Thanks for your patronage.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 5:06am On Jul 31, 2017
My good people, anyone willing to share their PV generation in the last few weeks since the rains started?

I am getting just about 30% of installed capacity at peak which gives me some concern. Most times, a miserly 10-15%... and it's not raining!

Thanks o!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 8:02am On Jul 31, 2017
LUMINOUS INVERTER
1.5KVA/24V ECO 73,000
3.6KVA/48V 180,000
5KVA/96V 350,000

MICROTECH INVERTER
1.1KVA,12V 50,000
1.6KVA/24V 75,000
3.6KVA/48V 170,000
5.5KVA/48V 340,000

MUST POWER STAR INVERTER
1KVA 1000W 12v 95,000
4kva 3000W 24V 220,000
4kva 3000W 48V 260,000
5kva 4000W 48V 350,000
6kva 5000W 48V 400,000
7.5kva 6000W 48V 450,000

BATTERY
GLT BATTERY 12V/100AH 55,000
GLT BATTERY 12V/150AH 73,000
GLT BATTERY 12V/200AH 100,000
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/100AH 45,000
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/150AH 70,000
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/200AH 90,000

BATTERY RACK
BATTERY RACK 2 BATTERY 15,000
BATTERY RACK 4 BATTERIES 30,000
BATTERY RACK 8 BATTERIES 50,000

CHARGE CONTROLLER ROY SOLAR SERIES
20A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER 20,000
30A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER 25,000
40A 48v PWM controller (LED) 50,000
30A 96v PWM controller (LCD) 120,000
60A 48v PWM controller (LCD) 95,000

SOLAR PANEL
150w M-40,000
200w M-45,000
260w M-60,000
310w M-75,000

Bright Solar Power ONLINE STORE FOR SOLAR PRODUCTS SOURCING

Call-07058562938
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:26am On Jul 31, 2017
battleaxe:
My good people, anyone willing to share their PV generation in the last few weeks since the rains started?

I am getting just about 30% of installed capacity at peak which gives me some concern. Most times, a miserly 10-15%... and it's not raining!

Thanks o!

How do you determine peak time, mid day or sun highest intensity for the day?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Chuckdee(m): 9:13am On Jul 31, 2017
battleaxe:

Thanks o!

If you say 10-15% when its not raining and with good sunshine, i think its poor. A visual inspection of your setup is a good place to start off trouble-shooting from.

I have been pleasantly surprised getting some very handsome harvest all this season. I think the cool weather and dust-free panels are helping. I have seen 4,491W out of my 4,500W total capacity at peak sun intensity (11-1pm ish)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 9:52am On Jul 31, 2017
July 2017 PV Generation from my 4.5KW array.

For lifetime records, see https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=46221

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:48pm On Jul 31, 2017
dapsyra:

I have a lot of opportunist loads that I run during the day like Water Heaters, Water Pump, Fridge, Freezer, Induction Cooker, Iron and Aircon.

My entire house is 100% off grid between 8am and 4pm. After 4pm, the Aircon, Iron and Induction cooker revert to grid power while the Water Heaters and Water Pump remain on Inverter power but are switched off. Fridge and Freezer remain ON on a two hours alternating cycle till 8am

I have a 20KWH battery bank from which I draw not more than 7KWH overnight.
Afternoon bro,
How do you manage your heavy loads during bad weather? Do you play power police?
I have also implemented the 8am to 4pm strategy on my Heavy Loads DB, but the challenge is during bad weather
when my water pump kicks in, it pulls the battery voltage dangerously low.

I'm looking for an energy management system that can energize certain heavy loads at different solar production levels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 9:11pm On Jul 31, 2017
Barezzi:

Afternoon bro,
How do you manage your heavy loads during bad weather? Do you play power police?
I have also implemented the 8am to 4pm strategy on my Heavy Loads DB, but the challenge is during bad weather
when my water pump kicks in, it pulls the battery voltage dangerously low.

I'm looking for an energy management system that can energize certain heavy loads at different solar production levels.

My charge controller has two auxiliary ports which can be configured to switch a relay on/off at preset battery voltages.

I configured the Aux1 to switch on the relay powering the heavy loads DB when battery voltage hits 57.8V and switch off when battery voltage drops to 52.6V. This way, the opportunistic loads cannot drain my batteries even in bad weather.

A programmable timer fires another relay at 4pm and switch the heavy loads DB to PHCN. It also switch the DB back to the inverter at 8am.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 7:37am On Aug 01, 2017
Hey guys please I have a solar set upl that I have wasted a lot of money on . Out of 420watt only harvest 100watt if I am lucky.

Please can anyone come help me do a audit or check on my set up. I am l ready to pay
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 8:08am On Aug 01, 2017
dicksonadams:
Hey guys please I have a solar set upl that I have wasted a lot of money on . Out of 420watt only harvest 100watt if I am lucky.

Please can anyone come help me do a audit or check on my set up. I am l ready to pay

Change the bolded to 'invested'. Until an installer declare it wasted, it's an investment and will repay you over the years.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2017
battleaxe:

Thanks o!

What direction are your panels facing and what is the degree of inclination of the panels?

The above questions are very important and I came to appreciate the importance about 2 months ago. My panels are installed, facing south, which is not a problem. That is actually the appropriate direction. The angle or degree of inclination should be between 6 and 10 degrees. The difference in performance of properly inclined panels and those not so inclined is much more significant than I appreciated before now.

I observed not long ago that the direction from which sun rises had changed significantly to the extent that my panels installed at about 30 - 45 degrees inclination were almost backing the rays as the sun is rising and would remain almost like that for the day. It was then I actually noticed that my angles were wrong. So I dropped the panels to 6 degrees inclination and guess what? My 5.3kw pv arrays which before then would take till about 5.00 to 6.00 pm to fully charge my batteries, can now complete the charge at about between 2 and 3 pm! A difference of about 3 hours! There is a significant improvement in the yield. My batteries now float almost everyday, even when it rains sometime in the day. The beauty of 6 degrees is that whichever direction the sun takes, the panels have complete and direct supply as long as there are no shades!

One more thing, You need to test your panels to ensure that they are all functioning.

Also from experience, my second pv array of 2.25kw which is supposed to yield at least 3/4 or 2/3 of the yield of the first pv array of 3.06kw, was actually yielding less than half of the the first array. So I had to troubleshoot and in the process discovered that one of the panels in one string was not functioning. Fortunately, it could be repaired, which was done and the thenceforth the panels started performing to expectation! The effect of such a problem is that the entire string (in my own case made up of 3 panels) would not contribute any yield to the production of the array. So I had two strings functioning in a 3-string array.

So you need to do an audit of the system to discover where the problem may be.

Cheers

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:50pm On Aug 01, 2017
dicksonadams:

i had a similar experience like johnkester with my newly installed solar panels.
after installation, i noticed one array was producing roughly half the power output
of the second array and so i set out to troubleshoot. in the process i climbed to the roof
only to discover that the mc4 connectors of two array strings were not properly
closed. what that meant was that out of twelve panels, only six were producing thereby
explaining why the output was half. i quickly reconnected them properly, climbed down
from the roof, switched on the array breakers and voila! more amps than i could imagine
started pumping into my cc. it was really a remarkable experience for me.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 7:03pm On Aug 01, 2017
GeorgeD1:

i had a similar experience like johnkester with my newly installed solar panels.
after installation, i noticed one array was producing roughly half the power output
of the second array and so i set out to troubleshoot. in the process i climbed to the roof
only to discover that the mc4 connectors of two array strings were not properly
closed. what that meant was that out of twelve panels, only six were producing thereby
explaining why the output was half. i quickly reconnected them properly, climbed down
from the roof, switched on the array breakers and voila! more amps than i could imagine
started pumping into my cc. it was really a remarkable experience for me.

Boss can I get someone to help me do this also? The engineer that install mine had charge me twice.... E. G change wire, new cc but to no avail
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:23pm On Aug 01, 2017
dicksonadams:

Boss can I get someone to help me do this also? The engineer that install mine had charge me twice.... E. G change wire, new cc but to no avail

dicksonadams,
ordinarily this is something you can do for yourself but if you're afraid of heights i'm sure there are
good installers here who will be more than glad to help you do the rooftop inspection.
just check their signatures and give them a call.
cheers!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 2:53am On Aug 02, 2017
dicksonadams:

Some installers can really be frustrating & that is why I turned diy.

A 450w should really yield more than 100w except u've paralleled ur installation if they're 150w panels or lower. Also, if u mix panels of different watt, CC tends to pick parameters of the lowest panel and limit production activities to protect the lowest panel thereby harvesting in that region irrespective of cloudy sky.

I stand on all what previous gurus have mentioned because I had similar experience too.

I the course of my diy experiments, I had four 150w panels installed in series of four instead of 2x2 or just 3 series. And on the 3rd day, it was really sunny, guess what? I heard a loud BANG! from rooftop. I never bothered to check until my harvest dropped to a shocking level. I had to audit the whole setup and discovered the last unfused panel in the series got cracked! Of course after disabling the culprit, my harvest returned.
It is very true what johnkester said. The sun has moved to another limit due to earth revolution. And during an upgrade I reset my inclination approximately and got higher yields dispite the rains.
By the way, I hold constant that ur cables/connectors, breakers etc are proper. If so, then tell ur location and let gurus close by do audit for you.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 6:06am On Aug 02, 2017
Pls, any experienced installers familiar with hybrid inverters in the house??

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 7:31am On Aug 02, 2017
efuro:

Some installers can really be frustrating & that is why I turned diy.

A 450w should really yield more than 100w except u've paralleled ur installation if they're 150w panels or lower. Also, if u mix panels of different watt, CC tends to pick parameters of the lowest panel and limit production activities to protect the lowest panel thereby harvesting in that region irrespective of cloudy sky.

I stand on all what previous gurus have mentioned because I had similar experience too.

I the course of my diy experiments, I had four 150w panels installed in series of four instead of 2x2 or just 3 series. And on the 3rd day, it was really sunny, guess what? I heard a loud BANG! from rooftop. I never bothered to check until my harvest dropped to a shocking level. I had to audit the whole setup and discovered the last unfused panel in the series got cracked! Of course after disabling the culprit, my harvest returned.
It is very true what johnkester said. The sun has moved to another limit due to earth revolution. And during an upgrade I reset my inclination approximately and got higher yields dispite the rains.
By the way, I hold constant that ur cables/connectors, breakers etc are proper. If so, then tell ur location and let gurus close by do audit for you.

Cheers

I stay at oworoshoki close to bariga and gbagada.. .. will appreciate if I could get someone skill to help audit and put things right.

Chat me on 08034288798 let's do business

(1) (2) (3) ... (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) ... (1683) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: martinlala(m), dragnet and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.