Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,322 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (326) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2057701 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (1691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 8:39am On Dec 21, 2017
3.64KW PV LG (Lot of 13) solar panels 280w mono at 260 Naira per watt .... Available in Nigeria..... 08123329521

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 10:43am On Dec 21, 2017
Almaden Ultrathin Double Glass frameless 265w pallet of 30 Solar panels .

7950W at 225 Naira per watt...

System efficiency: 16.5%
Rated current: 8.5A
Rated voltage: 31.2V
Open circuit voltage: 39.6V

Weight :19kg

Comes with 30years linear power output warranty

http://www.almadenmena.com/high-efficiency-a-grade-poly-solar-panel-250w-255w-260w-265w/

Stock Available in Nigeria...

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Godliftedme: 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2017
@ Kiekie
How much is this battery 12V, 200Ah AGM, in one other post I saw a guy claiming Kung Long is a partner to Schneider & APC but the award from Schneider was given to them in 2013, nothing else butress this claim.

Anyone in the house who has used this battery before or isbusing the battery currently? What's your experience with this battery.

@ Bodeface have you bought the battery? Please share your out of the box experience.

kiekie1:

Long is a good Vietnamese battery brand ..
- The 200a has 2017 production date
- it has a reasonable cycle life as shown in the pics below
- Weigh above 61kg
- Official battery vendor for emerson electric, general electric, APC, Schneider electric etc...

Contact us for discounted prices ;
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2017
Godliftedme:
@ Kiekie
How much is this battery 12V, 200Ah AGM, in one other post I saw a guy claiming Kung Long is a partner to Schneider & APC but the award from Schneider was given to them in 2013, nothing else butress this claim.

Anyone in the house who has used this battery before or isbusing the battery currently? What's your experience with this battery.

@ Bodeface have you bought the battery? Please share your out of the box experience.

Hello Sir, pls its not a claim as the product is of good quality and I have sold/installed enough without issues till date ... Prices might go up soonest as I supply at 115k for now .. Awards isn't just limited to 2013 pls .. Feel free to contact me for efficient - fast supplies to any state ... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Braaad: 9:04pm On Dec 21, 2017
Then it might have been some transients from the generator. It's best you give it to a competent repairer, or try replacing the mos tubes yourself. That should solve it.

dejidotun2000:
The inverter was not being backfed. It was installed about 3 years ago and no modifications have been made to the wiring/connection since then.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Godliftedme: 9:57am On Dec 22, 2017
@Kiekie, thanks for your elaborate explanation dousing my suspicions about Kung Long batteries.

My second findings is as regards inverters;
I have a Sukam 3.5KVA, 48V that has really served me for over 4 years and still serving, by I have observed that batteries (4x 200Ah, 12V AGM) doesn't last more than 2 years even with adequate care and avoiding deep discharge.
I have seen discuss here, though I didn't really follow it, about Sukam not having capability to effectively charge the battery.
If this view is uphold, what low cost inverter will you suggest, that has sufficient current and charging algorithm to effectively charge this 48V, 200Ah AGM monoblock battery effectively.
If my view about Sukam is not correct what will you recommend for me to do about this situation as the cost of battery has skyrocketed and I don't want to be replacing battery often.
Team, please help with your experience. Appreciate renowned brand proved and trusted to adequately protect battery and the parameters could be set to suit battery type.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:02am On Dec 22, 2017
Godliftedme:
@Kiekie, thanks for your elaborate explanation dousing my suspicions about Kung Long batteries.

I have a Sukam 3.5KVA, 48V that has really served me for over 4 years and still serving, by I have observed that batteries (4x 200Ah, 12V AGM) doesn't last more than 2 years even with adequate care and avoiding deep discharge.
I have seen discuss here, though I didn't really follow it, about Sukam not having capability to effectively charge the battery.
If this view is uphold, what low cost inverter will you suggest, that has sufficient current and charging algorithm to effectively charge this 48V, 200Ah AGM monoblock battery effectively.
If my view about Sukam is not correct what will you recommend for me to do about this situation as the cost of battery has skyrocketed and I don't want to be replacing battery often.
Team, please help with your experience. Appreciate renowned brand proved and trusted to adequately protect battery and the parameters could be set to suit battery type.

Feel free to call-
Contact ;
081-350-319-51

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babniyen(m): 11:24am On Dec 22, 2017
[Qquote author=kiekie1 post=63509761]

Feel free to call-
Contact ;
081-350-319-51[/quote]

Tell us the inverter now. From your wealth of experience.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:42pm On Dec 22, 2017
Godliftedme:

i believe the sukam doesnt have a battery type selector switch...lumunious is also guilty of this. by not having a batt type selector switch, they end up using the same algorithm to charge diff battery types which the owner would connect to the inverter...
such inverters also dont obey the c/10 current charging rule..and this leads to premature sulphation n batt death.
you need to buy a new inverter that has all the above i listed. the mustpower and prag inverters hv all this and are affordale too. get a 48v of any of these models..and hope the damage isnt too far gone

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 5:08pm On Dec 22, 2017
zeestone99:
Hello house and fellow installers, contact me for your solar panels n other products at affordable prices. We also do payment on delivery.

Solar panels

Sunshine solar
300watts mono=58k
300watts poly = 55k
250watts mono=50k
250watts poly=46k
200watts mono - 42k
200watts poly - 37k
150watts mono - 29k
150watts poly - 27k

Other products in stock includes Canadian solar, suntech, flames etc

Inverters
Felicity
3.5kva/24v( 35amps charging current) - 160k
5kva/48v ( 30amps charging current) - 185k
7.5kva 48v (40amps charging current) - 340k
10kva 48v- 390k

Microtek
0.9kva/12v- 45k
1.1kva12v- 50k
1.6kva/24v- 70k
3.6kva/48v - 165k

Other products includes sukam, vilpower, microtek, axpert etc

Batteries (200ah)
Quanta - 130k
Long - 115k
Okaya - 100k
Gbm - 80k

Other products in stock includes luminous, genus, monbat, toplight etc

Call/watapp 08117398294 or email Info@monzpowersolutions.com

You can also like our page on facebook.com/monzpowersolutions for beautiful installation pictures.

Call/whatapp 08117398294 to order, also reach us for ur neat and proffesional installations
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Godliftedme: 8:18pm On Dec 22, 2017
@ earthrealm;
Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate your help. May the good Lord bless you for your willingness to help without anything attached.

earthrealm:

i believe the sukam doesnt have a battery type selector switch...lumunious is also guilty of this. by not having a batt type selector switch, they end up using the same algorithm to charge diff battery types which the owner would connect to the inverter...
such inverters also dont obey the c/10 current charging rule..and this leads to premature sulphation n batt death.
you need to buy a new inverter that has all the above i listed. the mustpower and prag inverters hv all this and are affordale too. get a 48v of any of these models..and hope the damage isnt too far gone

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 1:30pm On Dec 23, 2017
Team,

kindly recommend a low power consumption AC brand with very good cooling and where to buy.

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:39pm On Dec 23, 2017
babniyen:
[Qquote author=kiekie1 post=63509761]

Feel free to call-
Contact ;
081-350-319-51

Tell us the inverter now. From your wealth of experience.

I have quite a num of good brands i use-sell ranging from the mustpower series , prag, powerstar , voltron,a&e etc to the high end specs ranging from magnum, outback, studer, Victron, sma etc .. It all depends on the client , budget et al ! Few of the hybrid brands are displayed in the pic below:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by surrogatesng: 11:14pm On Dec 23, 2017
I need a 2kva 12v pursinewave inverter to power a small fridge with a 200ah batteryPlease kindly recommend for me
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 10:15am On Dec 24, 2017
The following are for sale

Two morningstar PWM controller @N45,000 per one
1 7.5kva Sukam Inverter N400,000

The items are just six months old.
Call or whatsapp

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:48am On Dec 24, 2017
dgr8truth:
The following are for sale

Two morningstar PWM controller @N45,000
1 7.5kva Sukam Inverter N400,000

The items are just six months old.
Call or whatsapp

Hello, kindly contact me if the batteries installed with these devices are for sale ASAP

081-350-319-51
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 6:09pm On Dec 24, 2017
kiekie1:

Hello, kindly contact me if the batteries installed with these devices are for sale ASAP

081-350-319-51

The batteries are dead and buried already.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 7:04am On Dec 25, 2017
dgr8truth:

The batteries are dead and buried already.

I'm curious on the how they died (battery type/make/capacity/absorb voltage/float voltage/absorb duration, DoD, charging means [dual or solar only], etc), if you don't mind telling.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:08am On Dec 25, 2017
GOD bless you and your family in this season of celebration. Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.. Amen!

Smartcell global services.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olagunju2000: 11:53am On Dec 25, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Dear Sir,

How has your experience been with the Magnum PT100 Charge Controller?

I am sure vs. your old controller it is performing superlatively well! grin

In keeping with the house tradition, you should give us a review/tear down to educate us and broaden the knowledge base.

Thanks for asking. I installed the PT-100 but couldn't access the logged data to compare the performance. I bought ME-ARC50 monitor but unknowingly, it requires that i install Magnum inverter to use the monitor. The monitor does not work on standalone PT-100.

The maximum i have noticed on the real time production is about 2200w, similar to my old controller. However, i want to replace my cable with tiny flex these coming days. I will provide update then.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 4:05pm On Dec 25, 2017
Godliftedme:

for clients that uses SUKAM or Mopower Inverter, I always insists they get solar system, most especially if they're using two banks (8 batteries) .
I have some using theirs over 4 years now and no issues. so you can add solar system and still enjoy the ruggedity that comes with Sukam

cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 4:30pm On Dec 25, 2017
olagunju2000:

Thanks for asking. I installed the PT-100 but couldn't access the logged data to compare the performance. I bought ME-ARC50 monitor but unknowingly, it requires that i install Magnum inverter to use the monitor. The monitor does not work on standalone PT-100.

The maximum i have noticed on the real time production is about 2200w, similar to my old controller. However, i want to replace my cable with tiny flex these coming days. I will provide update then.
were you expecting PT-100 to double the output �

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pulivah(m): 1:52am On Dec 26, 2017
Good morning to you all and happy celebrations.

Please welcome me, I am a new member here.

Permit me to ask a few questions:

I have been using Chinese GEL batteries for sometime now; and I just got me two sets of FULLRIVER AGM 100AH batteries.

But I noticed something. The FULLRIVER batteries take more time to charge than the Chinese batteries even on the same solar array.

I am confused. Why is this?

Then when it finally got full, I noticed that the resting voltage is at 13.0V; while the Chinese one stays at 13.1 rest.

Is 13.0V a normal rest voltage for a fully charged AGM battery?

Finally, I used the AGM batteries on the same load as the Chinese ones and this battery refused to die.

Or perhaps, it hasn't calibrated well enough?

After three hours thirty minutes, it went to 12.5V and I stopped, it bounced back to 12.7V

The Chinese ones on the same load and time, would have gone to about 12.3V thereabouts.

Somebody, please come to my rescue because I am thinking the AGM battery is bad; especially as it takes more time to charge

and rests at 13.0V

Thank you.

JUO
kiekie1
makavele
Damreey5
zeestone99
DMerciful1
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:54am On Dec 26, 2017
olagunju2000:

so sorry you should have asked more questions before purchasing. Most of the brands make their accessories brand specific for use to enjoy the full benefit you need to get a magnum inverter. If I may suggest rather than throwing money at the problem why don't you get a second opinion of a Qualified installer to have an audit of your system there may be something your current installer is missing. There are a lot of good people on here that can help you. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:03am On Dec 26, 2017
JUO:
were you expecting PT-100 to double the output �
I believe so. With the erudite and knowlegeable comments he got on the various charge controller's available he probably was expecting double or triple output grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:33am On Dec 26, 2017
You should be glad and rejoice Sir over your new batteries.

The issue is amp hour capacity . Your new batteries are still testing close to their rated 100ah capacity and since you are ostensibly using thesame charge rate as before, they take a longer time to get fully charged up.

This is a good thing especially if they now provide backup for longer hours than the old set as you seemed to indicate.

What you now have to ask yourself is what happened to your old set of chinese Gel batteries which have now lost capacity? How old are they now? Couple of months or over 1 year old? If they are less than a year old then you definitely need to change your battery management practices (ensure daily full charge, no more than 30 to 50% discharge per time) so that these new Fullriver batteries will not suffer thesame fate as the old chinese Gels you have.

PS: When fully charged and at rest without any charge source connected for some hours, it is normal for a lead acid battery to read anywhere between 12.8 and 13.2 volts per 12v battery. So you have nothing to worry about there.

In fact in my experience, the batteries that show up with very high voltage at rest e.g 13.2volts and higher tend to be the weakest grin

pulivah:

I have been using Chinese GEL batteries for sometime now; and I just got me two sets of FULLRIVER AGM 100AH batteries.

But I noticed something. The FULLRIVER batteries take more time to charge than the Chinese batteries even on the same solar array.

Then when it finally got full, I noticed that the resting voltage is at 13.0V; while the Chinese one stays at 13.1 rest.

Finally, I used the AGM batteries on the same load as the Chinese ones and this battery refused to die.

After three hours thirty minutes, it went to 12.5V and I stopped, it bounced back to 12.7V

The Chinese ones on the same load and time, would have gone to about 12.3V thereabouts.

Somebody, please come to my rescue because I am thinking the AGM battery is bad; especially as it takes more time to charge

and rests at 13.0V

Thank you.

JUO
kiekie1
makavele
Damreey5
zeestone99
DMerciful1

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:01am On Dec 26, 2017
pulivah:

and rests at 13.0V

Thank you.

This simply show quality, as I always say Chinese brand always overrate...

I have been using Full River 200AH... Bought from kiekie1 fairly used... The battery performance is still the same as a new battery, my inverter has never beep low battery since April 2017..

I have only 220watts panel, Also I don't discharge more than 120watts at a time.. I use energy efficient appliances..

When my inverter complete full charge I noticed the controller will continue to put about 3 amp for some hours... It's never fully charged cry

I will take time this week to do capacity test.. charge to full, then use straight till my inverter beep low battery...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:19am On Dec 26, 2017
Does your Magnum PT-100 have a RJ45/LAN/Network port? If yes I may be able to help you with a PC to Charge Controller connection to view all the logged data.

Many factors combine to affect your daily solar yield - you mentioned that you have a 600ah bank - if you don't run air conditioning or other heavy loads off your batteries then I wager your batteries really don't get depleted daily - if that be the case then your solar output will be capped accordingly - if you drained your batteries more then you would get more solar juice subject to the controller's max limit.

The big question to ask is *are my batteries getting a full charge daily and entering into 'float' - if this be the case then you are really okay.

If not, we consider weather - with the harmattan haze and clouds nearly everyone will experience some reduction in solar yield during this season.

You did a ground mount system so you have easy access to check and correct slope of panels (should be 6 - 15° and not actually flat so at least water can run-off), are the panel surfaces clean and dust free? if not wash them, do you have any midday shade or overcast on the panels from the surrounding buildings and treeline? Shadows covering just 5% of one panel's surface area will reduce the yield of that panel and the connected string by more than 50%.

If you have a volt meter go open up the charge controller and verify the incoming PV voltage - you should be seeing over 90 volts (since you have 3 300w panels in series) by midday and if not one pair of your series connections is short (has just 2 panels in series). Whether your cables are thick stranded or thin flex should not really matter as long as you have a firm mechanical and electrical connection - this is especially true if you touch the cables when they are carrying peak amps charge and they are not warm or hot to touch - thinner flex cable will add nothing to the performance.

These are really some of the things you should consider before throwing further money or gadgets at this problem - if you don't want to trouble yourself then have another installer from the house do an independent system audit as you already gave your original installer at least two chances to give you good results.

You ticking off all the variables or getting a pair of fresh eyes and competent hands to audit the installation will go a long way to identify any trouble areas.

olagunju2000:

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 8:57am On Dec 26, 2017
Saipro:

I'm curious on the how they died (battery type/make/capacity/absorb voltage/float voltage/absorb duration, DoD, charging means [dual or solar only], etc), if you don't mind telling.

I suspect they dead because of lack of adequate charge since the setup is flawed from the beginning.

The setup comprises of sukam 7.5kva inverter of 120v DC, 10 200AH sukam batteries, three charge controller of 45a, 45a, 30a all three are pwm and 10 solar panels, the ratings I don't know since I am not the one that installed them but I suspect 150 to 200w.

Four of the batteries are reading 5. Volts, another four can't sustain charge, only two are 50% OK.

As at the time I went to audit the setup, the two morningstar 45a pwm charge controllers have a combine ampage of 4.5a 48v individually.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pulivah(m): 9:13am On Dec 26, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
You should be glad and rejoice Sir over your new batteries.

The issue is amp hour capacity . Your new batteries are still testing close to their rated 100ah capacity and since you are ostensibly using thesame charge rate as before, they take a longer time to get fully charged up.

This is a good thing especially if they now provide backup for longer hours than the old set as you seemed to indicate.

What you now have to ask yourself is what happened to your old set of chinese Gel batteries which have now lost capacity? How old are they now? Couple of months or over 1 year old? If they are less than a year old then you definitely need to change your battery management practices (ensure daily full charge, no more than 30 to 50% discharge per time) so that these new Fullriver batteries will not suffer thesame fate as the old chinese Gels you have.

PS: When fully charged and at rest without any charge source connected for some hours, it is normal for a lead acid battery to read anywhere between 12.8 and 13.2 volts per 12v battery. So you have nothing to worry about there.

In fact in my experience, the batteries that show up with very high voltage at rest e.g 13.2volts and higher tend to be the weakest grin

Good morning and thank you sir. Concerning your question, yes, the old Chinese GEL batteries were kind of abused, well not by me.
At about a specific time, I had visitors whom would still go ahead to turn on those power guzzling ceiling fans even when I have asked
them not to . . . And for the one week they stayed, I can say for certainty the inverter shutdown every single day; sometimes I wake up to see
11.1V. Something told me it would have a negative effect sooner or later. They are not up to a calendar year.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pulivah(m): 9:20am On Dec 26, 2017
Dam5reey:

This simply show quality, as I always say Chinese brand always overrate...

I have been using Full River 200AH... Bought from kiekie1 fairly used... The battery performance is still the same as a new battery, my inverter has never beep low battery since April 2017..

I have only 220watts panel, Also I don't discharge more than 120watts at a time.. I use energy efficient appliances..

When my inverter complete full charge I noticed the controller will continue to put about 3 amp for some hours... It's never fully charged cry

I will take time this week to do capacity test.. charge to full, then use straight till my inverter beep low battery...

Thank you sir. My mind is at ease now.
I wonder who imports these Chinese brands with deceitful ratings, specifications and all that.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by RipVanWink: 11:45am On Dec 26, 2017
dgr8truth:

I suspect they dead because of lack of adequate charge since the setup is floore from the beginning.

The setup comprises of sukam 7.5kva inverter of 120v DC, 10 200AH sukam batteries, three charge controller of 45a, 45a, 30a all three are pwm and 10 solar panels, the ratings I don't know since I am not the one that installed them but I suspect 150 to 200w.

Four of the batteries are reading 5. Volts, another four can't sustain charge, only two are 50% OK.

As at the time I went to audit the setup, the two morningstar 45a pwm charge controllers have a combine ampage of 4.5a 48v individually.

yeah the design was flawed from the beginning, thats the problem with a high dc voltage inverter. the 120v inverter...for it to effectively charge the batts, needs to hv 150v dc and above hitting it...n that 150v is also about the max input rating for the MS CC!....too bad you didnt vet what the installer did/get a reuputable installer...must be heart wrenching loosing those batteries ..@ this point, replacing them would gulp over 1m naira.

for your next setup..let the installer give you his planned design...and you bring it here for us to QA/QC it.
that 120v inverter is a serious hassle for solar panels n it isnt even a smart inverter too..only few CCs are capable of handling >150v dc and they are quite expensive.
such inverter is best for a phcn/gen setup

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (323) (324) (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) ... (1691) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: bassdow, Bwyite, Dam5reey(m), ceaser, Dam5reey1(m), aorseer, Obnoxious2001(m), swagifted(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.