Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (328) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2053010 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) ... (1686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 5:05pm On Jan 02, 2018
We purchased according to project requirements.

Here is the pump configuration

Electrical data:
Motor type: MSF3
Power input - P1: 1.4 kW
Rated voltage ac: 1 x 90-240 V
Rated voltage dc: 30-300 V
Rated current: 8.4 A
Power factor: 1,0
Rated speed: 500-3600 rpm.

You can reach me privately for the project cost.

Thank you.

mcTrinity:

very nice....

please, what's the pump size and cost?

couldn't you have used, say, 8pcs of 250w instead of 20pcs of 100w panels?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 6:12pm On Jan 02, 2018
sinistrian:

Could you please explain this a bit? The user manual says there's an MPPT controller in it already.

Inbuilt controller are not that efficient compared to stand alone, they more like glorified pwm,

As per the MPPT, yes, but the VOC is too low.. you need 100-150 VOC

Else connecting 4 panels in parallel means you will have almost 40Amp passing through your cables from panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:30pm On Jan 02, 2018
SolnergyPower:

Electrical data:

Thank you.

thanks for the response... but I wasn't actually asking of the project cost.. just the pump.

also, between Grundfos and Lorentz, which is better?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 8:36pm On Jan 02, 2018
Grundfos is better. Among other outstanding features, Grundfos solar pump is the only pump that accepts both DC and AC inputs.

mcTrinity:

thanks for the response... but I wasn't actually asking of the project cost.. just the pump.

also, between Grundfos and Lorentz, which is better?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Braaad: 10:28pm On Jan 02, 2018
Happy new year to you.... I couldn't find your contact on your profile, could you please share cos I will need something similar soon.

You can reach me by mail...

eticonenergy@gmail.com

Best regards.

SolnergyPower:

Electrical data:

Thank you.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nisol: 4:36am On Jan 03, 2018
therealMcCain:
The beginning of my journey
https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta/234#55891504

and now my case is one of penny wise, pound foolish!!

In a bid to cut cost because the price of panel mounting kit was too expensive, I had to opt for Locally welded suport but the installer messed things up by nailing to the gutter of the roofing sheets.

my roof has been leaking ever since & I planned to change them during the dry season. My hurdle was how to inform the landlord who stays in same compound with me (a man who sought several assuarances during installation that the roof wont leak)

Long story short, changed about 15 roofing sheets & the man said nothing should go up his roof again. Had to now use iron wood as support (metal was just to expensive). Couldn't choose other location cos of cabling distance & shade.

Well, we learn to live another day... experiences like this turn you into a self taught guru tomorrow.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 8:13am On Jan 03, 2018
My details:

0803-334-3911, 0803-860-4143.
Solar@SolnergyPower.com.

Braaad:
Happy new year to you.... I couldn't find your contact on your profile, could you please share cos I will need something similar soon.

You can reach me by mail...

eticonenergy@gmail.com

Best regards.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Braaad: 9:33am On Jan 03, 2018
[color=#000099][/color]
SolnergyPower:
My details:

0803-334-3911, 0803-860-4143.
Solar@SolnergyPower.com.

Got it

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2018
The following are still available

Two morningstar 45a pwm charge controller
7.5kva sukam inverter

Call/whatsapp 08039528280

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by osarodon(m): 3:57pm On Jan 03, 2018
nice and informative thread.
Happy New Year to you all.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ATH: 10:33am On Jan 04, 2018
Hello All,

For sale

Cyberpower Inverter 3.5KVA/24V
Reason for sale: upgrade to Outback inverter VFX3048
Price is N150K

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:55pm On Jan 04, 2018
Happy new year my people ... Its been a cool holiday so far-so good smiley ! May God bless you all , Amen

UPDATED PRICELIST LOADING...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 1:31am On Jan 05, 2018
mcTrinity:

your Inverter has a 60VDC Voc max. so there's no way you can do 2 panels in series. for 2 batteries @260-350w load, you can use 3-4 panels, all connected in parallel.

If I get an external MPPT controller with high enough VOC, what advantages will a 2x2 setup for the panels give me, as against the 1x4?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:21am On Jan 05, 2018
You have a 24v nominal battery bank.

A 2×2 nominal setup for your 24v panels combined with a good MPPT controller will ensure that the controller has sufficient 'headroom' to provide a output amps 'boost' by converting the excess voltage coming from your 2×2 series panels into useable amps going to charge your batteries or power your loads.

If properly setup you may expect 15% to 30% more power generated from thesame quantity/wattage of panels using an MPPT vs. a PWM controller in this your proposed 2×2 config.

Some watchouts - you have 2pcs 200ah batteries so you need at least 4pcs 300w panels except you plan to supplement solar charging with Gen or PHCN on a regular basis. I daresay you need at least 6 to 9 panels (yes 9 grin because I prefer you to do a 3×3 config to lock in that 'mppt headroom' I mentioned earlier) to really give you energy independence but how many panels you need will depend on your loads/power consumption sha.

If you do not plan to expand your battery bank or solar panel size much in the next two years then you can get by with a solid PWM controller and stick with your 300w panels all in parallel (1×1 config) - the 300w panels I have come across usually have a rated voltage/VmP of 35v to 36v - on a good day this will be sufficient to provide PWM charging to a 24v battery bank - if however you look at the panel specs and you see like 30v rated VmP then please buy your MPPT CC peacefully and do 2×2 or 3×3 series connection for your panels for better results. Be sure to buy a proper capable MPPT because they really are not born equal.

Overall for upgrade flexibility and overall ease and benefits I guess you should go with MPPT over PWM - you need to get so many things right e.g panel specs & config, cable gauge & length e.t.c to really enjoy PWM whereas MPPT is kind of more forgiving of mistakes (allows you to be lazy) and you will still get good results. Besides a solid American or European PWM controller costs just a little less than a decent chinese MPPT aka Fangpusun or EPSolar MPPT.

If you do choose MPPT please go for one that allows you to do a 3×3 panel config and then steps down the voltage to what your 24v nominal battery bank can handle - you will get best results that way.

sinistrian:

If I get an external MPPT controller with high enough VOC, what advantages will a 2x2 setup for the panels give me, as against the 1x4?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 8:28am On Jan 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

A 2×2 nominal setup for your 24v panels combined with a good MPPT controller will ensure that the controller has sufficient 'headroom' to provide a output amps 'boost' by converting the excess voltage coming from your 2×2 series panels into useable amps going to charge your batteries or power your loads.

If properly setup you may expect 15% to 30% more power generated from thesame quantity/wattage of panels using an MPPT vs. a PWM controller in this your proposed 2×2 config.

Some watchouts - you have 2pcs 200ah batteries so you need at least 4pcs 300w panels except you plan to supplement solar charging with Gen or PHCN on a regular basis. I daresay you need at least 6 to 9 panels (yes 9 grin because I prefer you to do a 3×3 config to lock in that 'mppt headroom' I mentioned earlier) to really give you energy independence but how many panels you need will depend on your loads/power consumption sha.

If you do not plan to expand your battery bank or solar panel size much in the next two years then you can get by with a solid PWM controller and stick with your 300w panels all in parallel (1×1 config) - the 300w panels I have come across usually have a rated voltage/VmP of 35v to 36v - on a good day this will be sufficient to provide PWM charging to a 24v battery bank - if however you look at the panel specs and you see like 30v rated VmP then please buy your MPPT CC peacefully and do 2×2 or 3×3 series connection for your panels for better results. Be sure to buy a proper capable MPPT because they really are not born equal.

Overall for upgrade flexibility and overall ease and benefits I guess you should go with MPPT over PWM - you need to get so many things right e.g panel specs & config, cable gauge & length e.t.c to really enjoy PWM whereas MPPT is kind of more forgiving of mistakes (allows you to be lazy) and you will still get good results. Besides a solid American or European PWM controller costs just a little less than a decent chinese MPPT aka Fangpusun or EPSolar MPPT.

If you do choose MPPT please go for one that allows you to do a 3×3 panel config and then steps down the voltage to what your 24v nominal battery bank can handle - you will get best results that way.

your first paragraph actually answers the question as to the advantage of MPPT over PWM.

Nevertheless, a 3x3 configuration would be very inefficient on a 24v system. 3x3 is good for a 48V system.
Remember MPPT conversion efficiency is best when the PV volt is not too far from the battery volt. for a 48v system, the conversion efficiency is better when the PV volt is between 75-95V. for a 24V system, the PV volt should be around 45-60.

with MPPT, the best configuration for a 24V system should be maximum of 2 in series (looking at 250-300w panel)

Also, since the load is just about 300w and it's just 2 batteries, 4 panels will be enough: 2x2 on MPPT or 1x4 connected either directly to the hybrid inverter or through a PWM controller.

Nevertheless, since it's a small setup, PWM will suffice. They work better in small setup compared to MPPT.
To me, MPPT on small setup is a waste. There are gurus that can explain better.

MY PERSONAL OPINION

Thanks
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 2:39pm On Jan 05, 2018
mcTrinity:

your first paragraph actually answers the question as to the advantage of MPPT over PWM.

Nevertheless, a 3x3 configuration would be very inefficient on a 24v system. 3x3 is good for a 48V system.
Remember MPPT conversion efficiency is best when the PV volt is not too far from the battery volt. for a 48v system, the conversion efficiency is better when the PV volt is between 75-95V. for a 24V system, the PV volt should be around 45-60.

with MPPT, the best configuration for a 24V system should be maximum of 2 in series (looking at 250-300w panel)

Also, since the load is just about 300w and it's just 2 batteries, 4 panels will be enough: 2x2 on MPPT or 1x4 connected either directly to the hybrid inverter or through a PWM controller.

Nevertheless, since it's a small setup, PWM will suffice. They work better in small setup compared to MPPT.

MY PERSONAL OPINION

Thanks
Cheers
I appreciate you guys taking the time to explain in details. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 2:42pm On Jan 05, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Thanks Niyi
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 2:44pm On Jan 05, 2018
^^ Spot on . . . but there is(was) never a time when a PWM CC is preferred (or will be preferred) to an MPPT CC (even in small installations)
PWM CCs are only used in small installations due to cash constraint . . . one reason why the installation was done small in the first place.
But anytime anyday, whether for small or large installations, MPPT technology performs better.
The only drawback I have experienced, PWM CCs can tolerate more abuse ! MPPT CCs are the fragile ones of the two.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 2:48pm On Jan 05, 2018
And that thing about voltage headroom . . . has only been discussed as user preference . . .
There is no hard fact or evidence that backs it up 100% . . . it is not etched in stone . . .
You can as well have a VOC of 250V on a 12V battery bank . . .
An MPPT controller will still do the conversion and downsizing very well . . .
There would be losses of course, same for a 45V Voc too . . . There will always be losses in the system.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2018
makavele:
^^ Spot on . . . but there is(was) never a time when a PWM CC is preferred (or will be preferred) to an MPPT CC (even in small installations)
PWM CCs are only used in small installations due to cash constraint . . . one reason why the installation was done small in the first place.
But anytime anyday, whether for small or large installations, MPPT technology performs better.
The only drawback I have experienced, PWM CCs can tolerate more abuse ! MPPT CCs are the fragile ones of the two.

Happy new year. There is a pwm cc most people haven't really taken time to explore , it has good features almost synonymous to mppt :
-it narrows down high panel volt to battery capacity. (You can use 2×2 or 3×3 configurations)
-it has batt equalize settings etc

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:39pm On Jan 05, 2018
HURRY !
Magnum power inverter ms4348pe ..
Made in USA !
( N760k Brand new )

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2018
kiekie1:

Happy new year. There is a pwm cc most people haven't really taken time to explore , it has good features almost synonymous to mppt :
-it narrows down high panel volt to battery capacity. (You can use 2×2 or 3×3 configurations)

happi new yr Mr Frank; how are you?
what's the name?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2018
makavele:

happi new yr Mr Frank; how are you?
what's the name?

Am good Sir.. Its the popular Morningstar TS 60 pwm version ! A user sampled it for sale some days ago .. I have sold, used & installed several without issues till date.. You can clearly see the maximum 125 VOC in the pwm nameplate below "45 & 60a respectively" smiley ..

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 2:17am On Jan 06, 2018
Where can I get PV cable for sale? Or can I just use regular 4mm2 wires? This is for connecting the panels to my hybrid Inverter/Controller

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 6:54am On Jan 06, 2018
sinistrian:
Where can I get PV cable for sale? Or can I just use regular 4mm2 wires? This is for connecting the panels to my hybrid Inverter/Controller

can't tell you where to buy... but please don't use the conventional cable used for house wiring. not even the normal stranded copper cable.

use FLEX cable. it has tiny, fine, multi-strands. the exact type that comes with panels.

know the number of panels you're going for before concluding you need 4mm

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ijeoma660(f): 8:38am On Jan 06, 2018
DMerciful:
For my EPsolar, itracer 60A, i use 2 breakers. One breaker which is a double pole breaker of 40A is btw the PV and CC lines. The other breaker of 80A double pole is btw the CC and battery. Here i only protect the positive terminal with one pole while the remaining free pole is use to break the PV input positive. This way, anythime the CC-battery breaker trips, there is no PV input to the CC cheesy

Excellent stuff. Serves like an electro-mechanical interlock!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:46am On Jan 06, 2018
The Morningstar TS 60 was my first PWM charge controller.

While it is an excellent charge controller with best in class features it will not convert excess PV voltage to useful output current i.e. it has no MPPT like capabilities whatsoever e.g if you had a 24v nominal battery bank and 2pcs 36v VmP 300w panels in series (2×2 config) attached to the controller, you would effectively be getting the power of only one of the panels from the Morningstar PWM - the controller would take only what it needs to attain and maintain battery absorb and/or equalize setpoints and the extra volts and amps from the second panel would be entirely lost much thesame as if you oversized your array with a MPPT controller you would only get the controller's maximum output at any point in time.

The essence of allowing higher than usual VoC/VmP on the MorningStar PWM CCs is so that your PV panels can exceed the battery voltage just enough to ensure the controller can maintain absorb and equalize voltage setpoints especially with fluctuating ambient weather conditions e.g in a PWM setup, you are expected to use 18v VmP Panels for a 12v nominal battery bank, 36VmP Panels for a 24v nominal and 72v VmP Panels for a 48v nominal battery bank and so the Morningstar PWM allows you to stack up your panels in series to achieve these setpoints - any PV voltages above these levels is just a waste of power that the PWM controller will throw away and run hotter to boot and also shorten the lifespan of the internal switching ciruitry.

User be warned the VoC limit on the MorningStar PWM is 125vdc This is VoC not VmP - one has to be very careful not to assume that you can do a 3×3 series config on the controller with just any and every type of panel e.g a 3×3 series config with your average 24v nominal 300w panel rated at 36VmP and greater or equal to 42VoC per panel would almost definitely damage the controller - care needs to be taken when deciding to do panels in series configuration to gain higher PV voltage on the Morningstar PWM e.g in the example I gave above you may get away with doing a 3×3 series config with a 200watt or 250watt panel because of their lower VoC and VmP but brick the controller if you try thesame 3×3 config with a 300w or higher wattage panel.

kiekie1:

kiekie1:

Am good Sir.. Its the popular Morningstar TS 60 pwm version ! A user sampled it for sale some days ago .. I have sold, used & installed several without issues till date.. You can clearly see the maximum 125 VOC in the pwm nameplate below "45 & 60a respectively" smiley ..

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ijeoma660(f): 8:48am On Jan 06, 2018
@mcTrinity @NiyiOmoIyunade @makavele

Thank you for all the selfless support you are providing here...

Please I am about setting up and commencing my DIY solar project. I have

i. a 3KW, 60A mppt CC
ii. 4nos PV panels whose capacity [wattage] were not stated but made by afromedia. i assume they about 250w each.
iii. 1.4KVA inverter and
iv. 2x200AH deep cycle batteries

Kindly advice what size and type of cable I require between the pv panels and the CC. The distance from pv panel to CC is estimated around 12m max.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:14am On Jan 06, 2018
Ijeoma660:
@mcTrinity @NiyiOmoIyunade @makavele

Thank you for all the selfless support you are providing here...

Please I am about setting up and commencing my DIY solar project. I have

i. a 3KW, 60A mppt CC
ii. 4nos PV panels whose capacity [wattage] were not stated but made by afromedia. i assume they about 250w each.
iii. 1.4KVA inverter and
iv. 2x200AH deep cycle batteries

Kindly advice what size and type of cable I require between the pv panels and the CC. The distance from pv panel to CC is estimated around 12m max.

what's the inverter voltage system?

and there must be a rating on the panel... Vmp or Imp or something. check well

thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ijeoma660(f): 9:33am On Jan 06, 2018
mcTrinity:

what's the inverter voltage system?

and there must be a rating on the panel... Vmp or Imp or something. check well

thanks

inverter is 12v.

For the pv panels i never agreed too that it had no nameplate until i checked. However, i think they are 250w from some calculation and physical checks.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:00am On Jan 06, 2018
The pv configuration for mppt depends on the brand of controllers. while EPSolar works best with 3x3 configuration, fangpusun works best with 2x2 configuration where Voc is twice battery voltage. However, as a general rule, PV voltage should be atleast twice battery voltage but ensure the right cable thickness is used. one watchout for using 3-4times PV voltage compared to battery voltage is a tendency for the mppt CC power tube to fail especially during cold bright sunny morning where the max allowable Voc could be exceeded due to the illuminance that may exceed standard test condition so always create buffer btw the PV voltage and the max allowable Voc input to mppt.

Anyways i leave you with pictures of my remote monitoring using the epsolar ebox-DTU that allows monitoring and control over the internet anywhere in the world.
mcTrinity:

MY PERSONAL OPINION

Thanks
Cheers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (325) (326) (327) (328) (329) (330) (331) ... (1686) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: fyinka47(m), RickyM and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.