Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (360) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2045549 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 12:01pm On Feb 24, 2018
Davodyguy,
You are right the sky is very cloudy and I am only getting 232w fortunately my 'convenience loads' are less than 180w so net my battery is charging a little.

Look at it this way, you a filling a bucket at a volume flow rate of 10m3/s and draining at 15m3/s....net you are depleting your reserve. For mains, the inverter takes enough power from the grid(we can say the grid power is unlimited comparatively) to power the load and charge the batteries.

I have an analogy meter that tells me if the batteries are being charged or discharged and by how much depending on the needle direction.

For light loads like TV, fans and lights, I use a small inverter of less than 20k but very efficient while I use my mustpower 3kva for heavy loads like AC, pumping machine, iron when needed.

See pics below
davodyguy:
Hello chief niyi and Dmerciful

It rained heavily last night and the effect is seen on the sun right now, very poor now in Lagos

My Panel is sending 3-4Amp to the batteries.

I want to use the inverter now and still allow the Panels to continue to charge. My question is if I load the batteries now, will the load be on the batteries by draining them or it would be like normal electricity that charges batteries and also supplies power without depleting my batteries?

I hope you get my question

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dejidotun2000(m): 12:02pm On Feb 24, 2018
It depends on your load.
If you panels are supplying 4A @ 24V, that's 96Watts.
Let's say your load is 100W, the panels will supply the 96W and the extra 4W will be taken from your battery.
In essence, your battery isn't charging.
Note that the self consumption of your inverter wasn't factored into the analysis.
davodyguy:
Hello chief niyi and Dmerciful

It rained heavily last night and the effect is seen on the sun right now, very poor now in Lagos

My Panel is sending 3-4Amp to the batteries.

I want to use the inverter now and still allow the Panels to continue to charge. My question is if I load the batteries now, will the load be on the batteries by draining them or it would be like normal electricity that charges batteries and also supplies power without depleting my batteries?

I hope you get my question

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 12:08pm On Feb 24, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
If solar is your only power source and your loads exceed the 3-4amp solar charge current cominng in then your batteries would start draining since they must make up the power difference.

Even if there were no loads 3-4amps is very small to charge a battery so I would say wait a while for the sun to come out later in the day before you start putting on your appliances.

Haha, this response came late o.

Madam was on my neck and was forced to put it on since 11:00am.
Now, what's dropping is 11.5amp from Panel.
Also, the transformer in the neighborhood is faulty, hence I'm dependent on Solar during the day and Gen from 7pm till 11pm

Load on LED TV and One fan, about 200 watts (TV 150w + Fan 50 w)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 12:14pm On Feb 24, 2018
DMerciful:
Davodyguy,
You are right the sky is very cloudy and I am only getting 232w fortunately my 'convenience loads' are less than 180w so net my battery is charging a little.

Look at it this way, you a filling a bucket at a volume flow rate of 10m3/s and draining at 15m3/s....net you are depleting your reserve. For mains, the inverter takes enough power from the grid(we can say the grid power is unlimited comparatively) to power the load and charge the batteries.

I have an analogy meter that tells me if the batteries are being charged or discharged and by how much depending on the needle direction.

For light loads like TV, fans and lights, I use a small inverter of less than 20k but very efficient while I use my mustpower 3kva for heavy loads like AC, pumping machine, iron when needed.

See pics below

Wow. Yours is super. I'm currently doing 200watts. Its safe to conclude that I'm losing batteries, cos the 10amps can't do anything.

My wife is on my neck and since we work to take care of the family.

If the batteries start showing, signs of being low, I'll put on the gen.

My aim is to increase my system by end of march, 2018.

I'll get 2 more 300 watts panels to take my system from 600watts panels to 1200 watts panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 12:15pm On Feb 24, 2018
dejidotun2000:
It depends on your load.
If you panels are supplying 4A @ 24V, that's 96Watts.
Let's say your load is 100W, the panels will supply the 96W and the extra 4W will be taken from your battery.
In essence, your battery isn't charging.
Note that the self consumption of your inverter wasn't factored into the analysis.

My current system is 12v and load as I type is 150watts. Put off the fan cos weather is cold
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 12:19pm On Feb 24, 2018
Led TV and fan should not be more than 70w....mine is 42inch led TV and it's 50w and fan 20w
davodyguy:

Wow. Yours is super. I'm currently doing 200watts. Its safe to conclude that I'm losing batteries, cos the 10amps can't do anything.

I'll get 2 more 300 watts panels to take my system from 600watts panels to 1200 watts panel
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 12:27pm On Feb 24, 2018
DMerciful:
Led TV and fan should not be more than 70w....mine is 42inch led TV and it's 50w and fan 20w

OK. May be I was wrong.

At 70watts consumption per hour vs 12.5amp dropping now, I may still be covered
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 12:51pm On Feb 24, 2018
Funny when at investment stage the wifey will be like why are u spending so much. But at the benefit stage they can't do without it cheesy
davodyguy:

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 1:48pm On Feb 24, 2018
DMerciful:
Funny when at investment stage the wifey will be like why are u spending so much. But at the benefit stage they can't do without it cheesy

Hahaha.

It shows you're an experienced Married.

When I started satellite TV stuff, it was wahala.
Come see my collection of decoders, you go fear. I have a unique way of describing my house. I'll say its the only house you'll find a 3 90cm dishes and one massive 2.6m mesh dish in my entire estate. My wife almost reported me as being wasteful. But now, she watches AFN, which is not available on DSTV and other interesting stuffs

I do remind her of how she criticises me each time I'm spending.

Na our work ooo. Na we say we're tired of single living and go marry grin grin cheesy wink

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 2:51pm On Feb 24, 2018
DMerciful:
cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 4:59pm On Feb 24, 2018
[quote author=DMerciful post=65334191]Funny when at investment stage the wifey will be like why are u spending so much. But at the benefit stage they can't do without it cheesy[/quote

True talk. All wifey
are the same.
]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 5:29pm On Feb 24, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
If you use the standard solar mount or the much cheaper but very reliable 'aluminium roof rails' such as myself or Zeestone improvised, I can assure you that there would be no heat related losses generated - the aluminium roof rails clear about 2 inches off the roof and underneath them is pretty cool because the panels would be reflecting heat off their surface. They also mount very conveniently using the standard solar roof brackets, clamps e.t.c

This is not a marketing pitch mind as they can easily be sourced off the open market at a good price - just something to consider that may be of help.

I am not a fan of mixing different panel brands except you know for sure they are nearly identical in rating, behaviour and performance - I always feel one brand would adjust voltage and amps output under load differently than the other and the least performing panel would become the limiting factor for the entire system.

See pictures of the kind of roof rails I had in mind attached.

U can call dat zeeni Roof mount grin version 2.0 loading, by d way lemme patent version 1.0 1st grin[center][/center]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2018
davodyguy:

Hahaha.

It shows you're an experienced Married.

When I started satellite TV stuff, it was wahala.
Come see my collection of decoders, you go fear. I have a unique way of describing my house. I'll say its the only house you'll find a 3 90cm dishes and one massive 2.6m mesh dish in my entire estate. My wife almost reported me as being wasteful. But now, she watches AFN, which is not available on DSTV and other interesting stuffs

I do remind her of how she criticises me each time I'm spending.

Na our work ooo. Na we say we're tired of single living and go marry grin grin cheesy wink

grin grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 6:53pm On Feb 24, 2018
kiekie1:

You are highly welcome Sir .. My mobile number is 24/7 reachable smiley

Right.

P34c3

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2018
Hello team.

Found this, but not sure of it usefulness

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:17pm On Feb 24, 2018
The first pic is a watt meter or energy meter. Measures the energy consumption of connected appliances as well as other data like voltage, current, power factor, wattage etc
davodyguy:
Hello team.

Found this, but not sure of it usefulness
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sharks776(m): 10:37pm On Feb 24, 2018
Hello, I got and replaced me old quanta batteries with two brand new quanta batteries today. The manufacturing date was November last year and the manual say they should be charged if stored for 3 months from date of manufacture. Will live them to charge with nepa over night. Thinking of to add more PVs' . currently I have 6 130w making a total of 780w. Can I add 4 more to make it 1200w? Will the CC take it?
See my CC specification http://www.mustups.com/pc1600a-series-mppt-solar-charge-controller/
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 11:27pm On Feb 24, 2018
bad weather . . . oooooooooooooooo embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 4:49am On Feb 25, 2018
Which one of the three attached is your specific model?

See the max PV power input at bottom of picture. If you have the 40A version then you can safely load it 1200w of PV Panels in a 24volt nominal battery setup.

For the smaller sizes observe the lesser PV wattage restrictions. In reality most manufacturers allow you to oversize the PV array at least 150% with no issues but please read the manual first to see what it says about oversizing the PV array and report back.

Also please stay within the safe VoC range per the specs sheet.

sharks776:
Hello, I got and replaced me old quanta batteries with two brand new quanta batteries today. The manufacturing date was November last year and the manual say they should be charged if stored for 3 months from date of manufacture. Will live them to charge with nepa over night. Thinking of to add more PVs' . currently I have 6 130w making a total of 780w. Can I add 4 more to make it 1200w? Will the CC take it?
See my CC specification http://www.mustups.com/pc1600a-series-mppt-solar-charge-controller/

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:40am On Feb 25, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
If you use the standard solar mount or the much cheaper but very reliable 'aluminium roof rails' such as myself or Zeestone improvised, I can assure you that there would be no heat related losses generated - the aluminium roof rails clear about 2 inches off the roof and underneath them is pretty cool because the panels would be reflecting heat off their surface. They also mount very conveniently using the standard solar roof brackets, clamps e.t.c

This is not a marketing pitch mind as they can easily be sourced off the open market at a good price - just something to consider that may be of help.

I am not a fan of mixing different panel brands except you know for sure they are nearly identical in rating, behaviour and performance - I always feel one brand would adjust voltage and amps output under load differently than the other and the least performing panel would become the limiting factor for the entire system.

See pictures of the kind of roof rails I had in mind attached.

On the first part. Even with a mounting kit roof panels still suffer from heat related loss at a greater rate compared to a ground mounted system. I happen to have and use the mounting kit in the picture you posted for my current roof mounted panel.

On the part about mixing panels. This is generally true. But if you know what you are doing and apply the appropriate derating to limit expectations then you will be fine. My panels are composed of 2 240w solarland 1 250w solarland and 1 250w my home. By maths laws should be 1160w but have been derated to 900w. Average yield from them is 800w on a good clear there, 750w on a fair day and 600 on a bad day. I have this much mix match because my system grew from 2 to 3 to 4 and each time nicking one deal here and there. I made up with ensuring there are mounted at just the sweet spot of 8 degrees tilt facing true south on a ground mounted system with about 6feet ground clearance. The ground system with all their mix matchness routinely outperforms the roof mounted system even though the latter are same exact panels.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 5:44am On Feb 25, 2018
DMerciful:
NiyiOmolyunade Sir
[b]I have similar issue with epsolar itracer struggling to track max power point when the panel voltage was 106v Vs battery voltage of 25v. Reading through the manual it is recommended that PV voltage should be twice battery voltage so I changed my configuration to 2*3 [/b]so that Vmax is BTW 52v and 60v and since then there has been improved stability and improved harvest. I sold a fangpusun flexmax to someone and he complained that the performance was low compared to his Atracer 40A epsolar, I asked him to send it back and I experimented with different PV voltages and realized according to the manual, pv voltage of times 2 battery voltage is best for the flexmax provided ur cable size is thick enuf. Now he is very happy using it and he now install for others using this standard. So different voltages for different controllers

We had this conversation meaning moons ago and I recommended you do same.. Not sure you remembered I told you so smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 6:23am On Feb 25, 2018
Guys a 24v 500ah system. What's the best panel configuration. If your are going to use12/24/48v epsolar mmpt charge controller 60a. The max power is 1600 watts for 24v system. Is it better parallel all panels or double the PV volts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:10am On Feb 25, 2018
What is the Voc of the panels? U can get this info from the name plate. What is the wattage of each panel and how many panels in total?
samnaija:
Guys a 24v 500ah system. What's the best panel configuration. If your are going to use12/24/48v epsolar mmpt charge controller 60a. The max power is 1600 watts for 24v system. Is it better parallel all panels or double the PV volts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:23am On Feb 25, 2018
bodejohn:
Dear friends,

I have the following items available for sale.

1. 12/24/48V 45Amps TriStar MPPT CC complete with displays - 2pcs
2. 220Watts Solar Panels - 9pcs
3. 36v/2.2kva inverters - 2pcs

All items are in good condition and comes with 3 months warranty.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:44am On Feb 25, 2018
HURRY ! DiSCOUNTED PRICES !!!

CANADIAN 340w Mono panels
340w. N81,000

Solar world 325w mono panels. Made in Germany
..N84,000 9 units in bulk

Must Powerstar inverters (VIL series)

1000w 12v. N85,000
1500w 12v. N95,000
2000w 12v N110,000
3000w 24v. N150,000
4000w 48v. N220,000
5000w 48v. N250,000
6000w 48v. N280,000
10000w 48v. N700,000
10000w 48v HYBRID. N800,000

EP ever 40a 12-24v mppt with MT50 ...N
EP Solar (i-tracer) 60amps mppt..... ....... N127,000

Pro solar roof mount set .....N37,000

DC voltage led meter .........N4,000

Prag products; 10-150kva (45-270vac input) servo or relay stabilizers 
Discounts on all our Prag product online prices 

DC breakers 10-63a ....N3-4k
DC breakers 63a double pole....... N7k

USA trojan battery 12v 200a (J200RE) -N130,000 "quantity above 1"

If you are for AGM SMF batteries :
-kung Long battery 12v 200a N114,000
-Mercury 12v 200a N98,000

Note: USA trojan sealed agm 6v L16 batteries is now in stock ....... N145,000

Mouth watering discounts on;
-Solarshop Nig products
-Prag products
-Back2back distribution partners
-Luminous products
-Voltron inverters etc

CALL US NOW:
Smartcell global services
Order now 081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:17am On Feb 25, 2018
HURRY ! DiSCOUNTED PRICES !!!

Foresolar solar panel

MONO-
325w. N60,000

JOY SOLAR panels:

320w mono. N58,000 
260w mono. N45,000
200w mono. N36,000
150w mono. N30,000

320w poly. N55,000
180w poly. N35,000
110w poly. N20,000

Mouth watering discounts on;
-Solarshop Nig products
-Prag products
-Back2back distribution partners
-Luminous products
-Voltron inverters etc

CALL US NOW:
Smartcell global services
Order now 081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 2:55pm On Feb 25, 2018
makavele:
bad weather . . . oooooooooooooooo embarassed embarassed embarassed

grin cheesy windmill sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 3:05pm On Feb 25, 2018
zeestone99:

grin cheesy windmill sir

windmill kor; windpipe nii
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2018
zeestone99:

grin cheesy windmill sir
Is anyone in Nigeria using that 'fan' like system at the moment?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 4:02pm On Feb 25, 2018
DMerciful:
What is the Voc of the panels? U can get this info from the name plate. What is the wattage of each panel and how many panels in total?

The panels 320watts Voc is 45.07v. They are 8 in number. Tnks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 4:04pm On Feb 25, 2018
davodyguy:

Is anyone in Nigeria using that 'fan' like system at the moment?

Makavele ll use n giv us review sir, dnt wori I ll convince him cheesy
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 4:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
zeestone99:

Makavele ll use n giv us review sir, dnt wori I ll convince him cheesy

Sheybi na MONZ go do the installation bah?

(1) (2) (3) ... (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Chikach, bassdow and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.