Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,614 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (393) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043974 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:50am On Apr 25, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Find a blower fan to provide additional cooling to the MorningStar's heatsink - experiment with a normal house standing fan for starters and report back what you see performance wise.

niyi,
an external fan for the morningstar?
that's certainly food for thought.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:06am On Apr 25, 2018
This is a bit of a controversial topic.

External cooling is not generally required for the MorningStar because it has a robust heatsink installed, HOWEVER, external cooling ensures that the CC runs really cool under all operating conditions, ensuring optimal performance and long life of the internal electronics.

Unbeknownst to most people, the MorningStar MPPT CCs actually derate current at heatsink temperatures above 80°C - this kind of temperature is not uncommon in the tropics (read Nigeria) in poorly ventilated indoor installations hence MorningStar published a 16 page TechTip on the subject of temperature and cooling.

Using the TechTip manual, it is possible to perform the fairly complicated calculations to determine if one needs to incorporate external cooling in his scenario - in my case, when I have my blower fan in operation, the CC heatsink is only slightly warm to the touch but with the fan off, hot enough to burn one's hands. At the very minimum, additional cooling will help secure long life for the CC's internal electronics as they face a lot less thermal stress.

I will reproduce a few relevant pages from the TechTip manual below;

GeorgeD1:

niyi,
an external fan for the morningstar?
that's certainly food for thought.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Tchyfingy: 2:10pm On Apr 25, 2018
I recently installed a 3000w 48v mustpower inverter and observed that the temperature of the body really gets very hot reaching up to about 65 deg.C as indicated from the lcd display. Although when it gets that hot, the cooling fan comes on. I just want to know whether it's normal. If not, is there anything that can be done? thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 4:07pm On Apr 25, 2018
pranil:

from the Logo Seems to be Ritar - RA12-200D AGM - http://www.ritarpower.com/upimg/2015121116432284.pdf

at swiftmall it is at normal price (130 K) - http://www.swiftermall.com/inverter-batteries/1035-ritar-200ah-12v-agm-deep-cycle-battery.html

may be old stock ?

Yep, this makes a whole lot of sense; thanks for thinking it, and for the links.

P34c3
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 5:15pm On Apr 25, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Now you know what it means to have a good charge controller at work grin grin grin in tandem with a properly mounted and oriented PV array.

Find a blower fan to provide additional cooling to the MorningStar's heatsink - experiment with a normal house standing fan for starters and report back what you see performance wise.

For space & energy sakes . . a normal house standing fan would be an overkill . .
he could use a simple USB/DC fan mounted close to the controller . . kapish

I happen to use the 3rd one (first row) and it has been superb so far.

edit: you can cut off the USB end and extend the wires to your heart's desire.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2018
Tchyfingy:
I recently installed a 3000w 48v mustpower inverter and observed that the temperature of the body really gets very hot reaching up to about 65 deg.C as indicated from the lcd display. Although when it gets that hot, the cooling fan comes on. I just want to know whether it's normal. If not, is there anything that can be done? thanks

65 dey learn nah..

some ppl dey fire their own enter 75 degrees sef

no qualms

grin grin grin

edit: seek professional help
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 5:44pm On Apr 25, 2018
I know na bros.

That is why I said 'experiment' - I nor wan make Oga Sinistrian stress himself - when he sees the improvement and/or performance difference then he would be convinced and can get a dedicated DC fan.

makavele:

For space & energy sakes . . a normal house standing fan would be an overkill . .

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:00pm On Apr 25, 2018
This is the design operation of the mustpower type inverters below 4kw - fan only comes on to cool the internals around 65°C - the designer in effect used the inverter chassis as a heatsink to dissipate heat grin grin grin very likely he thought this was an efficient power saving design and of course he likely has no children hehehe.

In about 3 years of use under challenging conditions, I am yet to see a unit's fan fail to come on at the designated temperature except for the Felicity brand so I would say the design is pretty robust and no need to worry.

All said, excessive heat reduces electronics' service lifespan - if you feel strongly about it you can open up the unit and move the thermostat closer to the transformer (Oga DMerciful hack) so the fan runs more frequently before the chassis gets too hot or remove the fan connection to the thermostat and splice the fan's cables directly to the DC power source inside the inverter (Oga Saipro hack) so that the fan runs 24/7.

All in all a fairly easy mod - if you are afraid of electronics then just leave it be to run as designed and enjoy your inverter in peace (a woman I know uses the inverter to keep her husband's dinner warm grin cheesy grin) she just covers up the food in a ceramic plate and places it on top of the inverter till he comes back from work (inverter is mounted on top of their battery rack). The inverter designer and that woman are clearly on to something.

Tchyfingy:

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 6:05pm On Apr 25, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I know na bros.

That is why I said 'experiment' - I nor wan make Oga Sinistrian stress himself - when he sees the improvement and/or performance difference then he would be convinced and can get a dedicated DC fan.

Way to go, homie !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 7:38pm On Apr 25, 2018
It is normal however uncomfortable. I solved the problem by relocating the temperature sensor from the heatsink to the transformer body which is the hottest member and now my mustpower runs cooler. grin
Tchyfingy:
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mrmachine: 10:44pm On Apr 25, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

External cooling is not generally required for the MorningStar because it has a robust heatsink installed, HOWEVER, external cooling ensures that the CC runs really cool under all operating conditions, ensuring optimal performance and long life of the internal electronics.

Unbeknownst to most people, the MorningStar MPPT CCs actually derate current at heatsink temperatures above 80°C - this kind of temperature is not uncommon in the tropics (read Nigeria) in poorly ventilated indoor installations hence MorningStar published a 16 page TechTip on the subject of temperature and cooling.

Using the TechTip manual, it is possible to perform the fairly complicated calculations to determine if one needs to incorporate external cooling in his scenario - in my case, when I have my blower fan in operation, the CC heatsink is only slightly warm to the touch but with the fan off, hot enough to burn one's hands. At the very minimum, additional cooling will help secure long life for the CC's internal electronics as they face a lot less thermal stress.

I will reproduce a few relevant pages from the

Good analysis
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 11:07am On Apr 26, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I know na bros.

I used to overclock computer CPU's so i know how important the fan is cool In fact i have already ordered a 48V dc fan from aliexpress so I can connect the terminals directly to my busbars. The MorningStar heatsink temperature is currently 51°C, when it's doing the most work.

But man I still can't believe the output I am seeing: 69Ah generated and it's not even 12 noon yet ... shocked shocked
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:16pm On Apr 26, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:

I will reproduce a few relevant pages from the TechTip manual below;

niyi,
in my own particular case, i've never really had the need to incorporate external cooling with
my tristar mppt cc. warm to the touch, yes. burning my hands, no. but maybe i've been particularly
lucky or maybe i've always had the good fortune of installing in airy environments.
going forward i hope to pay closer attention to my heatsink temperatures but in hindsight i can't
recall seeing anything above 50 celcius even at max amps throughput.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 1:09pm On Apr 26, 2018
sinistrian:

I used to overclock computer CPU's so i know how important the fan is cool In fact i have already ordered a 48V dc fan from aliexpress so I can connect the terminals directly to my busbars. The MorningStar heatsink temperature is currently 51°C, when it's doing the most work.

But man I still can't believe the output I am seeing: 69Ah generated and it's not even 12 noon yet ... shocked shocked

Gentelmen - A humbel request
Is it possible to start quoting WH or KWH numbers - The Ah are difficult to digest without context ( battery bank , panels configuration etc)

e.g 250 watt panel on 12 V batttery is max 20 Ah(per hour) on battery side so Battery Ah will be very high in contract to 250 watt on 48 V battery ( 5 Ah ( per hour max)

on Panel side Ah if the 3 no.s of 250 watt panels are in sries they will yeild approx 8 Ah max per hour
the same 3 no of of panels in partallel will Yeild appox 24 Ah ( per hour)

Wh removes all the confusion as it remains same irrespective of battery or panel configuartion with minor effect on battery side due to CC effciency

A better no to quaote is KWH/KWp which is neutral to system configuration of amount of installed panels

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 1:32pm On Apr 26, 2018
^^^ I wonder oh . . .

The standard unit for energy measurement is Wh ( or kWh );

which can be easily understood without need to ask for battery and/or panel arrangement
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 1:38pm On Apr 26, 2018
pranil:

Gentelmen - A humbel request
Is it possible to start quoting WH or KWH numbers - The Ah are difficult to digest without context ( battery bank , panels configuration etc)

e.g 250 watt panel on 12 V batttery is max 20 Ah(per hour) on battery side so Battery Ah will be very high in contract to 250 watt on 48 V battery ( 5 Ah ( per hour max)

on Panel side Ah if the 3 no.s of 250 watt panels are in sries they will yeild approx 8 Ah max per hour
the same 3 no of of panels in partallel will Yeild appox 24 Ah ( per hour)

Wh removes all the confusion as it remains same irrespective of battery or panel configuartion with minor effect on battery side due to CC effciency

A better no to quaote is KWH/KWp which is neutral to system configuration of amount of installed panels

Well noted for subsequent posts

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TPAND(f): 3:10pm On Apr 26, 2018
BRIGHTSOLAR:
DROPSHIPPING AND ONLINE DELIVERY OF RENEWABLE ENERGY MATERIALS

MICROTECH INVERTER
1.1KVA,12V 50,000
1.6KVA/24V 75,000
3.6KVA/48V 170,000
5.5KVA/48V 340,000

MUST POWER STAR INVERTER

4kva 3000W 24V 220,000
4kva 3000W 48V 260,000
5kva 4000W 48V 350,000
6kva 5000W 48V 400,000
7.5kva 6000W 48V 450,000

HYBRID INVERTER
1KVA/12(30A 55,000
2KVA/24V50A 97,000
5KVA /48V 60A MPPT 300,000
7.5KVA /48V 60A MPPT 400,000
10KVA /48V 100A MPPT 750,000
15KVA /48V 120A MPPT 1,400,,000

BATTERY

ELSON BATTERY
ELSON BATTERY 12V/200AH 115,000

GLT BATTERY
GLT BATTERY 12V/100AH 45,000
GLT BATTERY 12V/150AH 65,000
GLT BATTERY 12V/200AH 90,000

ZEEDIX BATTERY
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/100AH 45,000
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/150AH 70,000
ZEEDIX BATTERY 12V/200AH 90,000

QUANTA BATTERY
QUANTA BATTERY 12V/100AH 70,000
QUANTA BATTERY 12V/150AH 98,000
QUANTA BATTERY 12V/200AH 135,000

BATTERY RACK
BATTERY RACK 2 BATTERY 15,000
BATTERY RACK 4 BATTERIES 30,000
BATTERY RACK 8 BATTERIES 50,000

CHARGE CONTROLLER ROY SOLAR SERIES
20A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER 20,000
30A 12/24V PWM CONTROLLER 25,000
40A 48v PWM controller (LED) 50,000
30A 96v PWM controller (LCD) 120,000
60A 48v PWM controller (LCD) 95,000

FANGUNPSUN MPPT SERIES
30A 24V 50,000
60A 48v 150,000
70A 48v 170,000
80A 48v 180,000

JOY SOLAR PANEL
150w M-30,000
200w M-34,000
260w M-45,000
320w M-55,000

CANADIAN SOLAR PANEL

MONO-
290w. 65,000
330w. 75,000

POLY
270w. 45,000
2750w. 59,000

Bright Solar Power

Call-07058562938

WHATSSAP 08187995847

FOR PURCHASE/ DELIVERY NATIONWIDE
Do you deliver and install in lagos.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 5:32pm On Apr 26, 2018
TPAND:
Do you deliver and install in lagos.

yes call for delivery and installation
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2018
makavele:

Been looking for a 24VDC or 48VDC fan to get some ventilation to my batteries, which are boxed in a corner or the premises. Something not too big, not too small. Will use the logic of the Midnite's AUX1 to ensure only while batteries are charging.

Such a fan should not exceed 20W consumption (30W tolerable). Any suggestion?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 11:00am On Apr 27, 2018
Hello all.

If you need Canadian Solar, let me know. Ill link you up directly with the main distributor. Gennex Technology for great discount, courtesy of being members of same Nairaland Forum. I would't collect 1 kobo for the link up grin cheesy wink smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by makavele: 11:02am On Apr 27, 2018
Saipro:

Been looking for a 24VDC or 48VDC fan to get some ventilation to my batteries, which are boxed in a corner or the premises. Something not too big, not too small. Will use the logic of the Midnite's AUX1 to ensure only while batteries are charging.

Such a fan should not exceed 20W consumption (30W tolerable). Any suggestion?

Will send a link for one as soon as I can get on a computer. They don’t even use up to 5 W and are brushless
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:11am On Apr 27, 2018
DMerciful:
Battery going out of sync is the biggest challenge to series batteries. I am changing the configuration of a client system to 12v bcoz of this. For me the max system voltage should be 24v..best is 12v.

Can be a nightmare especially because, by the time you're noticing, it's probablytoo late (the same weaker batteries tend to keep drifiting and you're forced to do equalizing charges more often - pretty hard on the entire rack). A short term solution is to switch to the next lower bank config voltage value and run a series/parallel but it seldom helps for long as a weak cell tends to mysteriously appear in the stronger string used in keeping the weaker one in check. Given me no small misery with a few who clients habitually abuse their battery banks.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 11:12am On Apr 27, 2018
makavele:

Will send a link for one as soon as I can get on a computer. They don’t even use up to 5 W and are brushless

Much appreciated
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 1:14pm On Apr 27, 2018
Saipro:

Can be a nightmare especially because, by the time you're noticing, it's probablytoo late (the same weaker batteries tend to keep drifiting and you're forced to do equalizing charges more often - pretty hard on the entire rack). A short term solution is to switch to the next lower bank config voltage value and run a series/parallel but it seldom helps for long as a weak cell tends to mysteriously appear in the stronger string used in keeping the weaker one in check. Given me no small misery with a few clients habitually abuse their battery banks.

This voltage choice thingy is indeed food for thought.

P34c3
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2018
davodyguy:
Hello all.

If you need Canadian Solar, let me know. Ill link you up directly with the main distributor. Gennex Technology for great discount, courtesy of being members of same Nairaland Forum. I would't collect 1 kobo for the link up grin cheesy wink smiley

"You got P.M." please, davodyguy.

P34c3
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 1:50pm On Apr 27, 2018
Make una folllow me analyse this. Fridge, iron join others.

People need to wise up not to fall into wrong hands.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 1:53pm On Apr 27, 2018
abunafiu:

To add salt on injury.. ..with quality British Standard materials.. ...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 4:04pm On Apr 27, 2018
hi house. I have a question
there are 6 no's 300w panels.(imp :8.24amp, Vmp : 36.7v, VOC: 44.06v) and two MPPT controllers available. system is to run on 48v. according to gleanings from the forum:

fangpusun prefers 2s*3p : total string current : 8.24*3= 24.72a

TriStar/epever prefer 3s*2p: total string current:16.48a

which will offer more MPPT Current under the same light conditions?

Mr Niyi
George D.
kiekie,
makavele
Oga Chris
JUO
anyone who has tried it the comparison, kindly advise
Thanks!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sinistrian(m): 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2018
lexi28:
hi house. I have a question
there are 6 no's 300w panels.(imp :8.24amp, Vmp : 36.7v, VOC: 44.06v) and two MPPT controllers available. system is to run on 48v. according to gleanings from the forum:

fangpusun prefers 2s*3p : total string current : 8.24*3= 24.72a

TriStar/epever prefer 3s*2p: total string current:16.48a

which will offer more MPPT Current under the same light conditions?

Mr Niyi
George D.
kiekie,
makavele
Oga Chris
JUO
anyone who has tried it the comparison, kindly advise
Thanks!!

In either case, the output MPPT current really depends on the controller's DC-DC conversion efficiency because your input power will still be the same no matter which controller you use. if you don't have any shading issues, go with the 3s2p.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by lexi28(m): 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2018
makavele:

Sir, can you give steps how to locate the temperature sensor and relocate it? thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by davodyguy: 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2018
duwdu:

"You got P.M." please, davodyguy.

P34c3

You and this your P34c3

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2018
abunafiu:

This is what I talked about some pages back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (390) (391) (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: dbshaywhy(m), amicdan(m), Engineer86smail(m), HeavenlyBang(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.