Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,260 members, 7,829,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (429) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2089226 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (1707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2018
cool318:

Oga, do you have the time to look into Laptop Lithium-ion batteries, I have one I opened up, but can't source for the match able batteries, the clipping and the balancing. 18.5v
I don't seem to understand what you are saying
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:20pm On Jul 03, 2018
My Oga,

In MorningStar's custom settings, you will also see options for forced Absorb/Float - based on custom voltage settings e.g Absorb for just two hours if battery voltage at wakeup was 12.5v and above but absorb for a further X hours & X Minutes if voltage at any time before wakeup dipped below 12.5volts.

Float Cancel - Cancel Float and only do Bulk and Infinite Absorb on anyday where battery voltage was below 12.3volts - all these and more can be customized on the MorningStar.

I believe all the CCs have essentially similar settings although they go by different names under different manufacturers.

The sure way to settle performance issues is to benchmark 2 CCs powering thesame wattage load while connected to similar PV arrays at the same location and panel orientation. I readily admit that the MorningStar CC display appears to overstate amps output by about 2 to 3 amps vs. clamp meter readings - one engineer once responded to me that my Fluke clamp reading was the approximation while the data as displayed by MorningStar was more precise grin

Saipro:

I'll take that with a pinch of salt. The MorningStar is undoubtedly likely go longer before failing but the fact that it reports pumping out more juice than the Midnite doesn't men it does. I think I posted my own benchmark tests a year or two back.

The noiseless/fanless operation is a delight you can't place a premium on.
A lot of customizations hold the Midnite apart (not necessarily better). I love the forced FLOAT/BULK feature, LoMax, etc.
MorningStar is a favourite brand but with the advent of Midnite (a latecomer), .... review more recent feedback.
The Brat and Kid stand almost unchallenged.

Of course, the MorningStar SureSine inverter is unrivalled in performance.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
cool318:

Oga, do you have the time to look into Laptop Lithium-ion batteries, I have one I opened up, but can't source for the match able batteries, the clipping and the balancing. 18.5v
Bros I nor understand
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 2:50pm On Jul 03, 2018
The battery cabinet for my DIY powerwall is now completed and in full use.

The next project is building the remaining 43000 kilowatts hours pack. It will be a real challenging project.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Practicals my Oga.

When it comes to the core business of squeezing solar juice out of a PV array, MorningStar is the best controller bar none - any advantage a Midnite classic has is in the ease of setup/configuration and perhaps less unit cost per amp - MorningStar capped at 60a while Midnite has 80a/96a units.

Even the MorningStar design (solid state/no moving parts, and conformal coating) is superior to Midnite's in my view. I firmly believe that a MorningStar CC can give 15years of trouble free service with zero components failure, I would consider it luck if a Midnite lasted that long.

I am fortunately placed in a position where a lot of CCs and equipment passes through my hands and I have been able to run tests of MorningStar vs other CCs in controlled conditions and so far I have not yet seen any CC beat MorningStar at solar yield.

The issue is just like the premium Fluke, they are rather slow to innovate or churn out new features, anything they cannot certify works 99.99999% they will not release - all the networking and remote monitoring restrictions can easily be sorted with a little bit of skill.

niyi,
you're very much on point. sometime last year i did a review on tristar vs midnite cc. the midnite won narowly but just.
recall that the winning points were mostly on aesthetics/effizy and not necessarily on core performance.
if i were to do the same review today, having now being weaned off the grip of that glamorous looking midnite lady,
the morningstar cc would win hands down grin

p.s: by the way, i have since reverted back to morningstar. solid state all the way! smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 3:20pm On Jul 03, 2018
Thank you sir!

dapsyra:

Nice work Pharyn, keep it up. It was a pleasure having you and your crew in my abode.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 3:22pm On Jul 03, 2018
I have followed your counsel. Thanks.

JUO:
water mark your pictures, I mean seriously. Do it in a way that it can't be cropped

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 3:23pm On Jul 03, 2018
Oga Niyi, always willing to Help!

Thanks for the support and the prayers.

Like I told you privately, something bigger is cooking as we speak. 24 times 2, plus 6.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Nice one Oga Pharyn.

This is lovely work indeed.

Like I told you in private, I have yet to see anyone who does preinstallation planning and load assessment so carefully and thoroughly and clearly documented too.

The battle is half won at the design/concept stage and I daresay you are a master in that domain.

You are quietly doing great things and by God's grace you will go far! Amen

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pharyn(m): 3:25pm On Jul 03, 2018
Thanks.

zeestone99:

Superb
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:32pm On Jul 03, 2018
Great job Pharyn! I'll be needing a similar pole mount soon. We'll discuss in za other room grin

dgr8truth, abeg keep a very robust fire suppression system/extinguisher nearby. Nice work by the way, i'm keenly following.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 3:40pm On Jul 03, 2018
Barezzi:
Great job Pharyn! I'll be needing a similar pole mount soon. We'll discuss in za other room grin

dgr8truth, abeg keep a very robust fire suppression system/extinguisher nearby. Nice work by the way, i'm keenly following.
I took all necessary safety precautions, fused on both sides, beside I am keeping a very keen eye on the pack, fire extinguisher should be a must in every home.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 3:44pm On Jul 03, 2018
For me Outback Flexmax does it.
On almost every forum I researched on Outback seems to stand out

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 4:07pm On Jul 03, 2018
dgr8truth:

The next project is building the remaining 43000 kilowatts hours pack. It will be a real challenging project.

A Very nice build. Please put some fans to circulate air . Temp is the enemy here

Personally, I love the ones from ACinfinity . ( you can get even a temp controller to avoid running them full time)
https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/

Just look for cabinet fan on your fav website .

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cabinet-fan

Also note that the cycle life is 300-600 cycles only ( 1 to 3 years) so if teh cell were used cells then expect to rplace some cells earlier than 2 years

http://dalincom.ru/datasheet/SAMSUNG%20INR18650-25R.pdf
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dgr8truth(m): 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2018
pranil:

A Very nice build. Please put some fans to circulate air . Temp is the enemy here

Personally, I love the ones from ACinfinity . ( you can get even a temp controller to avoid running them full time)

Just look for cabinet fan on your fav website .

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cabinet-fan

Also note that the cycle life is 300-600 cycles only ( 1 to 3 years) so if teh cell were used cells then expect to rplace some cells earlier than 2 years

http://dalincom.ru/datasheet/SAMSUNG%20INR18650-25R.pdf

Thanks I will be investing in some fans

I believe I will get more cycles from them, since they will not be used up to their rated spec, not even 50%. Anyways time will tell. I will be building an arduino energy meter to keep track of its capacity overtime.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2018
nonoski:
The way morning star fanboys are going Outback will soon be downgraded to a Chinese CC grin

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hardywaltz(m): 8:20pm On Jul 03, 2018
nonoski:
Welcome to the club broda, I use an Outback Flexmax 80 for close to 2years, with Outback just install and leave it alone.

I later bought a Fangpusun Flexmax (Chinese version) to increase capacity however the difference is clear as day and nite.

It's not a popular brand here in Nigeria duh especially on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 9:26pm On Jul 03, 2018
grin grin
Truly, Outback is a very useless CC.I used a hammer on mine out of annoyance angry
In bright sunlight, the useless device was "sleeping"! I forced bulk, it worked for a few minutes and promptly went back to sleep.

There was nothing i didn't try. Spent countless man-hours poring through several "solutions" that never worked.
In exasperation, i took out my trusted hammer and promptly put it out of it's misery angry

The Fangpusun, Chinese clone, seems a more reliable device. I have 2 gathering dust in my workshop...I may consider putting them up for sale.

DUNKA:
The way morning star fanboys are going Outback will soon be downgraded to a Chinese CC grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 9:51pm On Jul 03, 2018
There is something to be said for every CC. I have used the Fangpusun BlueSolar clones with great success on quite a few occasions and I did comment here that they nearly match the MorningStar in performance.

If there is any dispute about a CC's relative performance vs another, the simple way to resolve the matter is test it grin

If there are any takers this week, I have three pieces 330W Canadian Solar Panels lieing fallow, I also have a Fangpusun BlueSolar 60a and MorningStar 60a and two 600watt DC loads (immersion heaters) which we can use for testing.

hardywaltz:

Welcome to the club broda, I use an Outback Flexmax 80 for close to 2years, with Outback just install and leave it alone.

I later bought a Fangpusun Flexmax (Chinese version) to increase capacity however the difference is clear as day and nite.

It's not a popular brand here in Nigeria duh especially on Nairaland.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:13pm On Jul 03, 2018
Oga Barezzi's Hammer!!!

Delivering justice to crappy CCs since 1865 grin grin grin

Younger cousin to Thor's "Mjolnir" hammer.

Barezzi:
grin grin
Truly, Outback is a very useless CC.I used a hammer on mine out of annoyance angry
In bright sunlight, the useless device was "sleeping"! I forced bulk, it worked for a few minutes and promptly went back to sleep.

There was nothing i didn't try. Spent countless man-hours poring through several "solutions" that never worked.
In exasperation, i took out my trusted hammer and promptly put it out of it's misery angry

The Fangpusun, Chinese clone, seems a more reliable device. I have 2 gathering dust in my workshop...I may consider putting them up for sale.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 12:30am On Jul 04, 2018
grin grin grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oluwaferanmi1605(m): 3:31am On Jul 04, 2018
why don't you go for petrolo, it's depends on the capacity u want and the depth of the hole you want to use it for. cos we have Italian n China pump. it's ur choice, you can whatsapp me 07051541632 for more Info.tx
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 5:00am On Jul 04, 2018
GeorgeD1:
niyi,
that's one of the things they claimed happened. at a point after installation
i decided to remove the assistant tank and connected the cold water inlet
directly to the tank. i did that because i noticed it always took like forever
to fill up whenever i drain the tank for whatever reason. but after the leaks
started and i called them to complain, they advised that I should put back
the assistant tank saying that the main water tank pressure was likely one
cause of the leakage. well, I re-installed the assistant tank and noticed a
slight improvement but that was it - the leakage was still there.
Were you able to finally resolve the leakage issue with the Protek tank?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:04am On Jul 04, 2018
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Barezzi's Hammer!!!

Delivering justice to crappy CCs since 1865 grin grin grin

Younger cousin to Thor's "Mjolnir" hammer.

which I is better Apple,Samsung,Xiaomi,Huawei? grin or BMW, Honda,Toyota,Mercedes Benz? cheesy

No one should get it twisted just as there is no best car or phone same with the top brand cc's or inverters.

Everyone's wants and needs are different while some will swear with a BMW some will also swear with a Honda.

Everybody's experience is what they have experienced.

Do your own research and chose what works for you irrespective of what anyone says. Apple vs. Samsung and Honda vs. Toyota

Everyone has its fans and detractors same in renewable energy.

Remember that most of all the american premium brands are interlinked,connected and related kiss

That been said I stand on my Outback Flexmax 80 cc and Outback 3038 inverter angry

In use for 4 years now and not 1 issue of blowing up, using external fan to cool down, battery before cc blow up,software issue as the Star has been witnessing on this thread grin grin

For me Outback is the best shocked based on my own experience just as you cannot change my mind I also cannot change your mind. So let us just agree to disagree as we all enjoy the world of Free renewable energy. smiley wink

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hardywaltz(m): 7:13am On Jul 04, 2018
DUNKA:
which I is better Apple,Samsung,Xiaomi,Huawei? grin or BMW, Honda,Toyota,Mercedes Benz? cheesy

No one should get it twisted just as there is no best car or phone same with the top brand cc's or inverters.

Everyone's wants and needs are different while some will swear with a BMW some will also swear with a Honda.

Do your own research and chose what works for you irrespective of what anyone says. Apple vs. Samsung and Honda vs. Toyota

Remember that most of all the american premium brands are interlinked,connected and related kiss

That been said I stand on my Outback Flexmax 80 cc and Outback 3038 inverter angry

In use for 4 years now and not 1 issue of blowing up, using external fan to cool down, battery before cc blow up,software issue as the Star has been witnessing on this thread grin grin

For me Outback is the best shocked based on my own experience just as you cannot change my mind I also cannot change your mind. So let us just agree to disagree as we all enjoy the world of Free renewable energy. smiley wink
For me Outback Flexmax any day or time.
I did an extensive research on Amazon, Ebay and other user forums before I reached the decision to go for the Outback Flexmax 2years ago.

I went back to Amazon yesterday and still Outback has better reviews than Morningstar and Midnite Classic

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:14am On Jul 04, 2018
DUNKA:

Good morning Sir.. Nicely said smiley ! Its been a while I see you type this long tho grin .. Its good to see your system supplied some years ago still firing without issues ! Cheer's

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:22am On Jul 04, 2018
hardywaltz:

I did an extensive research on Amazon, Ebay and other user forums before I reached the decision to go for the Outback Flexmax 2years ago.

I went back to Amazon yesterday and still Outback has better reviews than Morningstar and Midnite Classic

Yes I will invite Oga Saipro on this same issue again ..He has done an indepth research and has more experience when it comes to outback and midnite classics solar controllers smiley ! Oga Dunka summed it up by saying it totally depends on individual choice . I have sold and installed all this brands aforementioned without issues apart from morningstar issue I had with just 1 client then .. When procuring and installing electronics, just pray & have the positive mindset that yours lasts for you because not all likes repair stress or warranty issue on the short run.. Cheer's

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 7:28am On Jul 04, 2018
WE BUY DEAD/SCRAP BATTERIES!!!

We also buy off scrap/dead batteries from any state (T&C applies) .

12v 200a ..... N16,000
12v 150a.......N12,000
12v 100a.......N8,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
081-350-31951
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:59am On Jul 04, 2018
hardywaltz:

"They" will not agree fa cheesy

What use is the so called best cc if it bears other cc by 1 - 2 % in solar yield but will unexpectedly blow up after 6 months grin

Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 8:53am On Jul 04, 2018
articulate pls

cool318:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 8:55am On Jul 04, 2018
my Oga i hail o

GeorgeD1:

niyi,
you're very much on point. sometime last year i did a review on tristar vs midnite cc. the midnite won narowly but just.
recall that the winning points were mostly on aesthetics/effizy and not necessarily on core performance.
if i were to do the same review today, having now being weaned off the grip of that glamorous looking midnite lady,
the morningstar cc would win hands down grin

p.s: by the way, i have since reverted back to morningstar. solid state all the way! smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by totalgreen01: 8:58am On Jul 04, 2018
looking good

dgr8truth:

(1) (2) (3) ... (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) (431) (432) ... (1707) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: CaptainArc, redgem(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.