Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (70) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2078228 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (1703) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olak2k8: 3:08am On Jul 23, 2014
tundebabzy:
I don't really understand your question. During the day, your solar panels will charge your batteries and keep them charged. The solar panels do not convert the sunlight directly to AC so it goes into the batteries. When there is sunlight, the batteries will be discharging but charging at the same time. By the time sunlight stops, your batteries will be in discharge only.
thanks for your responses, what if i want to be using the power during the daytime as well, will it have effect on the battery charging?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 11:10am On Jul 23, 2014
olak2k8: thanks for your responses, what if i want to be using the power during the daytime as well, will it have effect on the battery charging?
What batteries need to get charged is electric current. As long as your solar panels can generate enough current for your inverter's charger, then you won't have any problem using your setup during the day and have enough juice in your batteries left to last you for the load you subject them to in the night.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olak2k8: 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2014
tundebabzy:
What batteries need to get charged is electric current. As long as your solar panels can generate enough current for your inverter's charger, then you won't have any problem using your setup during the day and have enough juice in your batteries left to last you for the load you subject them to in the night.
thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olak2k8: 9:11am On Jul 26, 2014
abunafiu: For the first time since I started using trojans, i decided to test how long it will last. I plugged in the following from 5pm yesterday and I plan to off them by 6am this morning.
1. A fridge and freezer.
2. 5 ceiling fans
3. 5 energy saving bulbs.
4. Tv and Dstv ( put off between 10pm and 4am).
The batts were discharged from 51v to 47.1v.
I intend to measure d batted soc by 6am by putting off all loads for few minutes and measure( best done after several hours ).
My sukham displayed 30% load all tru and d cooling fan was blowing all tru.
Note, what I am doing is not the best for trojan( if u want a very long years of service). I simply want to see how far it can go.
I pray make sun dey 2mrw because it will take up to 3 days of charging to return those charges due to my low PV power.

your solar panels, what is the make mono or poly and why

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 1:04pm On Jul 26, 2014
Dear friends, I received the eyes (TS-M-2 & TS-RM-2) of my Morningstar MPPT controller this morning.
I am willing to sell one of it because I will not need the two immediately. You can contact me with bodejohn2005atyahoodotcom.
The TS-M-2 is $100 while the TS-RM-2 is $130 (Current prices on Amazon.com).

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AYME: 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2014
bodejohn: Dear friends, I received the eyes (TS-M-2 & TS-RM-2) of my Morningstar MPPT controller this morning.
I am willing to sell one of it because I will not need the two immediately. You can contact me with bodejohn2005atyahoodotcom.

What is their function and the differences?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AYME: 5:34pm On Jul 27, 2014
bodejohn: Dear friends, I received the eyes (TS-M-2 & TS-RM-2) of my Morningstar MPPT controller this morning.

Naira value and
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viazi: 7:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
@All,
I have a 1.5kva (24V) Luminous inverter. I however have a problem of choice of batteries to buy to power it. Am divided between 2 specs of Trojan Flooded batteries as stated bellow:

1. TROJAN T105-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (225AH)20hr Rate X 4 pieces (4 Pieces)

2. TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr x 2 pieces (2 pieces)

Kindly enlighten me of the best choice to make from these 2 options.(Price is not an issue here) Can the Inverter charge these batteries effectively? or I will need another Charger?

Thanks in advance
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 3:11am On Jul 28, 2014
viazi: @All,
I have a 1.5kva (24V) Luminous inverter. I however have a problem of choice of batteries to buy to power it. Am divided between 2 specs of Trojan Flooded batteries as stated bellow:

1. TROJAN T105-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (225AH)20hr Rate X 4 pieces (4 Pieces)

2. TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr x 2 pieces (2 pieces)

Kindly enlighten me of the best choice to make from these 2 options.(Price is not an issue here) Can the Inverter charge these batteries effectively? or I will need another Charger?

Thanks in advance

Trojan batteries require a strong charger. Your 1.5KVA inverter chager is not strong enough to charge the batteries fully.
You will need a smart battery charger like Cotek CX2425 battery charger.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 4:24am On Jul 28, 2014
viazi: @All,

Thanks in advance

You cannot use trojan flooded with Luminous, Sukam, Genius etc. They will charge your battery to 70% and tell you fully charged thereby killing the battery overtime. Also they don't have equalization feature which you require for the flooded battery.
However, if you are incorporating solar to your system then you can go ahead as the charge controller (believing that you are using a pro) will handle the other aspects
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 4:27am On Jul 28, 2014
I'll be posting some installation pictures soon to inspire you but for now you can visit our fb page 'PBASE Solar' to check out our recent installation jobs.

http://www.facebook.com/pbasesolar

help us 'like' the page
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 4:40am On Jul 28, 2014
Here is one of our recent installations were the client decided to start things little at a time but not compromising on the quality. We advice him not to compromise on the battery and the inverter but can reduce the solar panel quantity since it can my added at anytime without any issue unlike the battery.

Here are the components that fitted into his phase 1 budget:

1.53kW Solarworld Solar Panels (6x 255W)
4.3kW Magnum MS4348PE Inverter.
Magnum ME-RC50 Remote
48V 410AH Trojan L16RE Lead-Acid Batteries (8x 6V 410AH)
60A Mornignstar Tristar MPPT Charge Controller
Morningstare Tristar TS-M-2 Meter
10kVA Provolt Servo Voltage Regulator
PBASE Solar DC Cabinet

My major attraction to this installation is the neatness of the board

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 4:48am On Jul 28, 2014
abunafiu: It was a wonderful experience. An experience that will remain in my memory for a long time. Richmond74 hosted me as a guest for 3 days. During which I had d opportunity to see him install those panels up in one of his numerous sites at lekki. I had d opportunity to climb up d 3 storey building with him and observe.
I also had d privilege to meet some great nairalanders in d forum( though dey are silent readers ).... Also met one on one with Feasy1 ( d big boss) in one the sites. In fact, it was really a blessing.
I appreciate u Oga Richmond. More blessing.
Engr Joe and Mfon...God bless u guys...u're wonderful.
My brother, Mr Tunde....givers never lack. May u continue to flourish in health n wealth. Thank u sir.

Thanks Oga.

but next time do not climb a 3 story building without safety gear.
It was an honour to have you visit our installation sites. We've been entertaining a lot of other people who come to see our installation processes also. It's been my pleasure answering questions on site and a couple of DIYs guys have been inspired after visiting our site.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 5:14am On Jul 28, 2014
We have recently tried out a new inverter 'PRAG' from buyright in some of our installations. We have done a rigorous test with it and it's dependable. It has a couple of good features. Some are;

* Variable Charging current from 0 to 70/90amps depending on the model
* Pure 3 stage charging
* Desulphating feature which makes it a great guy for our trojan flooded batteries
* DIP Switch setting for operational mode settings
* The regular battery type selector for precise battery management.
* Temperature controlled fan (unlike their previous cyberpower)

So if you can't afford the premium inverters like Xantrex, Outback, Magnum etc this is a good mid level inverter for you.

As usual, we have great discounts for you on the advertised price if you buy from us (up tp 20% depending on the quantity).

for more details on this installation check our fb page PBASE Solar

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 5:18am On Jul 28, 2014
Goodnews to Cyberpower inverter users.

you can now update your firmware which comes with some good features with the highest being that the fan will not run permanently anymore. The only sad part of the news is that you ahve to carry your inverter to buyright in order to update it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viazi: 9:52am On Jul 28, 2014
richmon74:

You cannot use trojan flooded with Luminous, Sukam, Genius etc. They will charge your battery to 70% and tell you fully charged thereby killing the battery overtime. Also they don't have equalization feature which you require for the flooded battery.
However, if you are incorporating solar to your system then you can go ahead as the charge controller (believing that you are using a pro) will handle the other aspects

@ Richmond,

Thanks for your advice? Are U saying that even with an external SMART BATTERY CHARGER as suggested above, it will still not be okay for me to use the Trojan Batteries with my LUMINOUS Inverter unless I deploy Solar? I do not have money for solar right now and besides I have PHCN Light upto 24 hours in every 3 days. Is the Equalization mandatory if I get all batteries new and connected at once? In the alternative what other batteries do U suggest? I really don't like the Idea of buying Batteries every year and this is the reason I wanted to opt for the Trojan (I.e can last for 10 years with Maintainance). Is it totally impossible to use this batteries with my Luminous?

Kindly enlighten me more.

Thanks again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 5:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
viazi:

@ Richmond,

Thanks for your advice? Are U saying that even with an external SMART BATTERY CHARGER as suggested above, it will still not be okay for me to use the Trojan Batteries with my LUMINOUS Inverter unless I deploy Solar? I do not have money for solar right now and besides I have PHCN Light upto 24 hours in every 3 days. Is the Equalization mandatory if I get all batteries new and connected at once? In the alternative what other batteries do U suggest? I really don't like the Idea of buying Batteries every year and this is the reason I wanted to opt for the Trojan (I.e can last for 10 years with Maintainance). Is it totally impossible to use this batteries with my Luminous?

Thanks again.

Yes it is totally impossible to manage trojan floded batteries with Luminous for so many rsasons. You'll end up loosing tge batteries.

I don't know d specifications if the suggested charger but if it meets the requirements 4 managing the battery and the cost is reasonable, the u can get it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 7:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
abunafiu: It was a wonderful experience. An experience that will remain in my memory for a long time. Richmond74 hosted me as a guest for 3 days. During which I had d opportunity to see him install those panels up in one of his numerous sites at lekki. I had d opportunity to climb up d 3 storey building with him and observe.
I also had d privilege to meet some great nairalanders in d forum( though dey are silent readers ).... Also met one on one with Feasy1 ( d big boss) in one the sites. In fact, it was really a blessing.
I appreciate u Oga Richmond. More blessing.
Engr Joe and Mfon...God bless u guys...u're wonderful.
My brother, Mr Tunde....givers never lack. May u continue to flourish in health n wealth. Thank u sir.

Oga, it was a wonderful experience to meet you one on one, we'll definitely meet soon again. The plans are been cooked and will be unveiled soon. Nigerians has no choice but to go renewable.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by c0ogumo(m): 11:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
You want Xantrex Truecharge2 24Volt 20A or 30A to charge flooded batteries

BB:79395A2D, email:molley4real@hotmail.com wattsapp:9732041296

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Battery-Chargers/TRUECharge-2/DS_TC2_24V_10-20-30_20110808.pdf

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nastydamus(m): 7:35am On Jul 29, 2014
Guys, will you call this a high-end or mid-range inverter?
http://www.amazon.com/GTSUN-inverter-combine-controller-capacity/dp/B00JJBBSMU/ref=sr_1_58?ie=UTF8&qid=1406615300&sr=8-58&keywords=60+amp+mppt#productDetails
The fancy part is that it has an in-built MPPT charge controller.
Will carry out more research on the brand.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 9:51am On Jul 29, 2014
viazi:

@ Richmond,

Thanks again.
If you haven't already gotten the luminous inverter, why not go for Tripp Lite? I bought the APSX series (1000w modified sine wave for 53k). Its got in-built equalizer and 3 stage charger. If you buy the components separately you might end up paying more and then you have the headache of maintaining 2 or 3 separate units instead of 1.

Just my 2k
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 9:51am On Jul 29, 2014
viazi:

@ Richmond,

Thanks again.
If you haven't already gotten the luminous inverter, why not go for Tripp Lite? I bought the APSX series (1000w modified sine wave for 53k). Its got in-built equalizer and 3 stage charger. If you buy the components separately you might end up paying more and then you have the headache of maintaining 2 or 3 separate units instead of 1.

Just my 2 kobo
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:16pm On Jul 29, 2014
TotalGreen: where is everyone... am i on the wrong thread?

brother,
since the recent near collapse of nl, a couple of us have suddenly realised that there is life outside of the stream. smiley

ok, just joking. I (and I guess a couple of other guys) have been busy making a decent living in the real world. deadlines to
meet, issues to sort out, et al. but I'm back now and kicking.

break the myth!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
abunafiu,
totalgreen,
bodejohn,
all,

the recent thunder strike that took out my bls (battery life saver) unfortunately has also affected my tristar remote meter (ts-rm-2).
the unit started behaving funny a couple of weeks back and has now finally gone blank.

it's gone, jimmy, gone! angry

ok. I'm already shopping for a replacement. hmmm! what thunder can do!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 29, 2014

hello bodejohn,
if the remote display is still available, I'll like to have it as replacement for my dead one.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viazi: 9:30pm On Jul 29, 2014
tundebabzy:

Just my 2k

Thanks Bro, the Luminous is a gift from a friend travelling abroad. Its only batteries that am shopping for right now. I think I will have to settle for Maintenance free batteries so as to save myself headache of many gadgets and maintenance. Someone recommended PRAG BATTERIES. Whats your take on the PRAG BATTERIES? Will this be ok for my Luminous without getting external chager.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 10:05pm On Jul 29, 2014
GeorgeD1:

hello bodejohn,
if the remote display is still available, I'll like to have it as replacement for my dead one.

It is still available Oga George. I will send you a mail or betterstill I am still at bodejohn2005atyahoodotcom.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
GeorgeD1:

brother,
since the recent near collapse of nl, a couple of us have suddenly realised that there is life outside of the stream. smiley

ok, just joking. I (and I guess a couple of other guys) have been busy making a decent living in the real world. deadlines to

break the myth!
u're welcome back boss. the thread has really missed u a lot. nice reading from u here again.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 3:05am On Jul 30, 2014
viazi:

Thanks Bro, the Luminous is a gift from a friend travelling abroad. Its only batteries that am shopping for right now. I think I will have to settle for Maintenance free batteries so as to save myself headache of many gadgets and maintenance. Someone recommended PRAG BATTERIES. Whats your take on the PRAG BATTERIES? Will this be ok for my Luminous without getting external chager.

The PRAG will be a better choice for you than the flooded. Go for it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TotalGreen: 11:36am On Jul 30, 2014
my oga welcome back.

GeorgeD1:

brother,

break the myth!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ATH: 2:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
richmon74: Goodnews to Cyberpower inverter users.

you can now update your firmware which comes with some good features with the highest being that the fan will not run permanently anymore. The only sad part of the news is that you ahve to carry your inverter to buyright in order to update it.

@richmon

What other features come with this firmware upgrade?

Prag wants to collect 5K for the upgrade. I need to know if this upgrade worth 5k.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by viazi: 3:52pm On Jul 31, 2014
richmon74:

The PRAG will be a better choice for you than the flooded. Go for it.
@ Richmond
Thanks, the prag is a gel battery, is ok with my Luminous 1.5kva?

(1) (2) (3) ... (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) ... (1703) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.