Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,576 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (403) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (696572 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:29pm On Dec 03, 2017
alaya40:
Please, what is the best way to answer this question for MSc Student
what is your plan of study at the school or what is your study's plan?

Thanks.

Go through past transcript .....there are loads of responses not to copy copy but to guide you so you can prepare response and make it your own
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cojunior: 3:45pm On Dec 03, 2017
I got this message from a Grad Coordinator; please learn from it.
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind words.

All application processes are competitive. I can’t predict your chances. Those depends on the size, the depth, and the quality level of this year’s applicant pool.

Next year’s pool may be better, same, or worse. There is no predicting that. Despite lower than desired GRE scores, we have admitted applicants who showed evidence of clear and consistent promise

that gave us confidence they would be successful and that therefore funding them would be a good investment. I can recall as an example, an international student who had an undergraduate degree from the top university

in her country, a master’s in education research methods from another good university there, showed that she had significant quantitative methodology skills (statistics, econometrics), had a very good TOEFL score, showed unambiguous indications of strong motivation and hard work  etc. In short, there was more than enough there in the file to act as counterweight to the disappointing GRE score. We look at the overall file of each applicant because we have had some applicants with high scores and very good grades who failed within a year. There is more to a good meal than just the spices. I cannot predict what would happen if you applied this year. All I can say is that success is not impossible

and that success is not of a high likelihood. If you wait a year, you would have the opportunity to conduct a systematic and thorough GRE and even TOEFL preparation to improve your scores. I understand the financial challenges of that on a typical Nigerian salary. An application now costs money too, so you must decide whether the risk/reward ratio is satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

Look again through the program and read the course descriptions. What preparation, skills, and abilities would you need to be successful? What do you have other than the GRE that would convince you if you were on an admissions committee and saw that file in a box with fifty other files? Admissions means choosing a few out of the many.

We will give your file the same careful review whether we receive it this year, next year, or even two years in a row.

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OluDare01(m): 3:53pm On Dec 03, 2017
LagosismyHome:

No it cannot be paid with card for Nigeria. Find someone abroad to do it at western union office
Aunty Lagosismyhome, I hail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by adesegun14: 3:55pm On Dec 03, 2017
Thank you.

EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
http://hotels.ng is a fantastic way to solve your problems

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Josh4wod: 4:37pm On Dec 03, 2017
TWoods:
FYI to folks who will want to ask personal questions:

1. Note - do NOT simply copy interview Q&As that others post here. Make it your own, don't be lazy. All of you did not find alumni who recommended obscure colleges to you.

2. Do NOT send me emails for general questions that can easily be answered here or might help others. You defeat the purpose of this thread. Only send me emails on questions that you wish to keep private. You can trust that all that you say to me in private will stay there.

For those of you going for interviews soon, i wish you all the best! Be confident, spend less time rehearsing and cramming. You do not need to rehearse your reasons for selecting a school or major... this is your life, you should know it even if i woke you up from sleep to ask you.
Can't believe it's you typing without adding a single insult.
Wish this attitude last kiss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 5:54pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:
Dear Sir,

All application processes are competitive. I can’t predict your chances. Those depends on the size, the depth, and the quality level of this year’s applicant pool.

Next year’s pool may be better, same, or worse. There is no predicting that. Despite lower than desired GRE scores, we have admitted applicants who showed evidence of clear and consistent promise

that gave us confidence they would be successful and that therefore funding them would be a good investment. I can recall as an example, an international student who had an undergraduate degree from the top university

in her country, a master’s in education research methods from another good university there, showed that she had significant quantitative methodology skills (statistics, econometrics), had a very good TOEFL score, showed unambiguous indications of strong motivation and hard work  etc. In short, there was more than enough there in the file to act as counterweight to the disappointing GRE score. We look at the overall file of each applicant because we have had some applicants with high scores and very good grades who failed within a year. There is more to a good meal than just the spices. I cannot predict what would happen if you applied this year. All I can say is that success is not impossible

and that success is not of a high likelihood. If you wait a year, you would have the opportunity to conduct a systematic and thorough GRE and even TOEFL preparation to improve your scores. I understand the financial challenges of that on a typical Nigerian salary. An application now costs money too, so you must decide whether the risk/reward ratio is satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

[b]Look again through the program and read the course descriptions. What preparation, skills, and abilities would you need to be successful? What do you have other than the GRE that would convince you if you were on an admissions committee and saw that file in a box with fifty other files? [/b]Admissions means choosing a few out of the many.

We will give your file the same careful review whether we receive it this year, next year, or even two years in a row.

As is usual, this post will be largely ignored by folks more interested in getting a visa NOW than having a successful education. Regardless of how you spin it, as this admissions coordinator has stated, there is no short cut to adequate preparation. It baffles me when I see people ask others to evaluate schools for them or help them find a cheap school. What is more important is what the air/ma has said above. Ask yourself the key questions, if you do, you would not have a need for mock interviews.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dayoseun70: 6:59pm On Dec 03, 2017
Dupsaw:

Congratulations uncle
Please I need mock o, please house help me out o I'm in serious need of mock interview, my interview is next week please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by jerrypeacelinks(m): 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
First and foremost, this GRE score may only get you into a tier 3 university (funding is not guaranteed),it will be a miracle to get you otherwise. its not really worth it to do PHD in a tier 3 university since phd is research intensive. you don't want to finish PHD after 3-4years of hard labor and labor again to get job. Like we always say, some schools will make getting jobs easy while some, you will have to hustle your way to get it. Some schools will bring the job to you, all you have to do is proof yourself while some you will go out there to get it and also proof yourself. In a nutshell, had it been you had your masters in the US, this GRE score wont be a problem but since you didn't, it will be hard to get an admission with this GRE score not to talk of funding since 90% of the schools wont admit a self funded student.I know someone who got admitted with lesser GRE for Transportation Engineering at university of Virginia,that is to say there are exception due to recommendation and networking. I know you don't want to hear this but I will still say it, go and re-write GRE and shoot for above 310 this time. Plan for fall 2019, US wont run away.Right now funding is harder than ever to come by due to cut in research funding by the US government.However, there is still funding if you research on schools well, nothing is impossible if you set your mind at it. If you want to consider Europe, weight all the pros and cons because language is a barrier in most European country and funding is not easy to come by. Also consider the immigration law since most wont allow you to stay after your studies, even at that, are there jobs there? That is another big question you need to answer.

Please is a TOEFL Score of 89 and a GRE score of 299 poor for an M.Sc student? Recall that I shared my transcript here and still in shock I was denied as I can't really hold on to something concrete to say this was why I was denied. Am now beginning to think the VO denied me cos of my GRE score after seeing responses here bothering on GRE score for a PhD candidate who got 297. Please kindly advise as I have already rescheduled or another interview for next week.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Dupsaw: 7:27pm On Dec 03, 2017
dayoseun70:

Please I need mock o, please house help me out o I'm in serious need of mock interview, my interview is next week please

No be me you suppose quote o.

I no dey do mock o.

I be observer for here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by scaezar: 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2017
TWoods:

The best way to answer the question is to tell the VO exactly what your study plan is. How would you not know?

TBH, i used to hate your guts. But you actually seem like the only one that says things as they are. But then again, i still hate you grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OjaP: 7:41pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:
Dear Sir,

Look again through the program and read the course descriptions. What preparation, skills, and abilities would you need to be successful? What do you have other than the GRE that would convince you if you were on an admissions committee and saw that file in a box with fifty other files? Admissions means choosing a few out of the many.

If I have to start all over again; this school would be one that I will be considering. Most grad coordinators don't have the time on earth to explain to you in details the strengths and weaknesses of your application. I would suggest that you retake the GRE if you haven't. Mind sharing the name of the school and program? I am just curious.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 7:42pm On Dec 03, 2017
jerrypeacelinks:

Please is a TOEFL Score of 89 and a GRE score of 299 poor for an M.Sc student? Recall that I shared my transcript here and still in shock I was denied as I can't really hold on to something concrete to say this was why I was denied. Am now beginning to think the VO denied me cos of my GRE score after seeing responses here bothering on GRE score for a PhD candidate who got 297. Please kindly advise as I have already rescheduled or another interview for next week.
I don't think you were denied because of that, there are 1001 people that has gotten visa with less GRE or no GRE. You might need to explain better why you chose TAMUK and what the course is going to do for you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cojunior: 8:02pm On Dec 03, 2017
Ph. d in educational reforms at the university of Arkansas

My latest profile is summarized below:

Undergraduate CGPA: 4.1/5

Masters degree CGPA: 5.8/7-- best graduating result. 

Two conferences attended

Two publications

One paper accepted for publication

Four online statement of accomplishments

One conference paper

One workshop attended

Two professional qualifications

GRE scores: 297 ( 148 verbal and 149 quantitative) and Analytical writing is 3.5

New GRE scores: 296 ( 144 verbal and 152 quantitative) 

TOEFL: 87

Few years of teaching experience.

Currently working as Education and Policy Officer in a security school. I got promoted of recent.

Currently the head of content development in an NGO

Recommendation letter from 1 prof, 1 associate prof( my Master's degree advisor and H. O. D.) and 1 senior lecturer.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by k199192: 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:

Undergraduate CGPA: 4.1/5

Masters degree CGPA: 5.8/7-- best graduating result. 

Two conferences attended

Two publications

One paper accepted for publication

Four online statement of accomplishments

One conference paper

One workshop attended

Two professional qualifications

GRE scores: 297 ( 148 verbal and 149 quantitative) and Analytical writing is 3.5

New GRE scores: 296 ( 144 verbal and 152 quantitative) 

TOEFL: 87

Few years of teaching experience.

Currently working as Education and Policy Officer in a security school. I got promoted of recent.

Currently the head of content development in an NGO

Recommendation letter from 1 prof, 1 associate prof( my Master's degree advisor and H. O. D.) and 1 senior lecturer.

do you want us to fry egg for you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 8:24pm On Dec 03, 2017
dayoseun70:

Have you read the above post by cojunior? Or have you ignored it totally in favor of "mock interviews"?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 8:24pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:

If only you could get >305 in GRE, the probability of getting admitted would have been higher but then, you can still give it a shot, who knows they could overlook your GRE score. Try to mention why you had low GRE score, could be due to work schedule etc. You seem to have a good profile except your GRE score. And note that GRE is just a piece out of all the elements Admission committee consider to make a decision.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Lastruct: 8:28pm On Dec 03, 2017
TWoods:

Face it. Your gre quant score is too low. You would struggle to get a school at all. Seeking for funding? That would be the joke of the century. It amazes me how you say you have no time to study for an exam on which a huge part of your future depends.
Thanks very much for your response. They are all well noted
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Lastruct: 8:29pm On Dec 03, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Nobody can predict chances oo. I always see that comment

Funding/free money will always be competitive and it has to be justifiable to the sponsor that this is a top candidate. Dont forget this funding is sortafter not only by Nigerians but globally

So let me tell you the honest truth
No short cut around that... you can try and pray that your gpa might buffer the score but truly Even in some cases admission is hard for phd with that score how much more with funding

Thanks a bunch ma'am. I appreciate you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 8:30pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
If only you could get >305 in GRE, the probability of getting admitted would have been higher but then, you can still give it a shot, who knows they could overlook your GRE score. Try to mention why you had low GRE score, could be due to work schedule etc. You seem to have a good profile except your GRE score. And note that GRE is just a piece out of all the elements Admission committee consider to make a decision.

If you notice in the email he copied here, this is what the admisssions officer had to say - "If you wait a year, you would have the opportunity to conduct a systematic and thorough GRE and even TOEFL preparation to improve your scores." If i were, i would take this advice. Take a year to study thoroughly for the GRE... gain a good score (>310). For his major, verbal is of more importance than the quant. Not all admissions contacts take the time to compose a detailed email advising you specifically on how to improve your admission/funding chances. Too often, people are more interested in the NOW than in the how well.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Lastruct: 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
First and foremost, this GRE score may only get you into a tier 3 university (funding is not guaranteed),it will be a miracle to get you otherwise. its not really worth it to do PHD in a tier 3 university since phd is research intensive. you don't want to finish PHD after 3-4years of hard labor and labor again to get job. Like we always say, some schools will make getting jobs easy while some, you will have to hustle your way to get it. Some schools will bring the job to you, all you have to do is proof yourself while some you will go out there to get it and also proof yourself. In a nutshell, had it been you had your masters in the US, this GRE score wont be a problem but since you didn't, it will be hard to get an admission with this GRE score not to talk of funding since 90% of the schools wont admit a self funded student.I know someone who got admitted with lesser GRE for Transportation Engineering at university of Virginia,that is to say there are exception due to recommendation and networking. I know you don't want to hear this but I will still say it, go and re-write GRE and shoot for above 310 this time. Plan for fall 2019, US wont run away.Right now funding is harder than ever to come by due to cut in research funding by the US government.However, there is still funding if you research on schools well, nothing is impossible if you set your mind at it. If you want to consider Europe, weight all the pros and cons because language is a barrier in most European country and funding is not easy to come by. Also consider the immigration law since most wont allow you to stay after your studies, even at that, are there jobs there? That is another big question you need to answer.

Thank you for your wonderful advise bro...God bless you real good. Will consider all you have said.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2017
scaezar:

TBH, i used to hate your guts. But you actually seem like the only one that says things as they are. But then again, i still hate you grin

You can hate me from now till tomorrow. cheesy It won't take the garri from my mouth. Let me come and be going....

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Lastruct: 8:35pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:
Dear Sir,

Thanks very much for this post...very helpful
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 8:48pm On Dec 03, 2017
TWoods:

If you notice in the email he copied here, this is what the admisssions officer had to say - "If you wait a year, you would have the opportunity to conduct a systematic and thorough GRE and even TOEFL preparation to improve your scores." If i were, i would take this advice. Take a year to study thoroughly for the GRE... gain a good score (>310). For his major, verbal is of more importance than the quant. Not all admissions contacts take the time to compose a detailed email advising you specifically on how to improve your admission/funding chances. Too often, people are more interested in the NOW than in the how well.
In as much as you made a very good point, admission committee also understand that not all aspect of a student application will be good. They understand some students might be deficient in some aspects, that's why they consider all application holistically. Same admission contacts have also adviced potential students in the past to explain any sort of deficiency. You also need to understand that I am different from you, you are different from me and he is different from us. What works for me or you might not work for him. If he feels other aspects of his application are excellent, nothing is stopping him from giving it a trial, and if it doesn't work, he still has your advice to follow.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by jerrypeacelinks(m): 8:52pm On Dec 03, 2017
....meanwhile, 5th December (next available visa interview date) just popped up. I just dodged it like where i dey dodge rain grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 8:53pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
In as much as you made a very good point, admission committee also understand that not all aspect of a student application will be good. They understand some students might be deficient in some aspects, that's why they consider all application holistically. Same admission contacts have also adviced potential students in the past to explain any sort of deficiency. You also need to understand that I am different from you, you are different from me and he is different from us. What works for me or you might not work for him. If he feels other aspects of his application are excellent, nothing is stopping him from giving it a trial, and if it doesn't work, he still has your advice to follow.

I think the admissions contact just indirectly told him to take time out to improve his scores and try for next year. While i agree that what works for me is different from what works for you, the limiting factor is that you do not control how many people are applying for a limited set of places. The admissions contact made that quite clear. If 20 people applied for a position that needs only 5 (phd positions don't take a lot of folks every year), then it doesn't matter how good your GPA was, especially if everyone else has equally good GPAs and excellent GRE scores. Even if you scale through the admissions process, there is also the issue of funding. There is no justification giving your funding while ignoring someone with a better score. His score is literally the 23rd percentile for verbal... i struggle to imagine that 50% of applicants will be at or below the 23rd percentile. More likely his will be the lowest score for all applicants. That is a major disadvantage, regardless of how we slice and dice it. It is always best to make sure you're putting your best foot forward at all times. It simply improves your chances.

As an international applicant, you are always going to be at a disadvantage. The best way to overcome that disadvantage is to simply be better than the rest that your application cannot be ignored.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cojunior: 8:53pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:

Thanks for this! I am actually applying to four schools and I got good responses from most of them. I don't have anything to lose. If I don't get in this year, I will retake TOEfl and GRE next year and apply again next year. Two applications submitted and two to go!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 8:57pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:

Thanks for this! I am actually applying to four schools and I got good responses from most them. I don't have anything to lose. If I don't get in this year, I will retake TOEfl and GRE next year and apply again next year. Two applications submitted and two to go!
All the best, just make sure the schools are not one building schools as we refer to them here.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cojunior: 8:59pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
All the best, just make sure the schools are not one building schools as we refer to them here.

I would love to send the name of schools to you, but I would love to do that privately.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 9:07pm On Dec 03, 2017
TWoods:

I think the admissions contact just indirectly told him to take time out to improve his scores and try for next year. While i agree that what works for me is different from what works for you, the limiting factor is that you do not control how many people are applying for a limited set of places. The admissions contact made that quite clear. If 20 people applied for a position that needs only 5 (phd positions don't take a lot of folks every year), then it doesn't matter how good your GPA was, especially if everyone else has equally good GPAs and excellent GRE scores. It is always best to make sure you're putting your best foot forward at all times. It simply improves your chances.

As an international applicant, you are always going to be at a disadvantage. The best way to overcome that disadvantage is to simply be better than the rest that your application cannot be ignored.
Well, No admission contact will tell any student his/her chances of getting admitted in the first place, so his/her reply is expected. My point is, he has some publications and conferences, not a lot of people applying have that. Most don't even have a single publication. Research experience and publications are actually a plus for PhD applications and I am sure you know that. That might actually work in his favor, who knows, like I said he has nothing to lose. He can always rewrite GRE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 9:07pm On Dec 03, 2017
cojunior:

I would love to send the name of schools to you, but I would love to do that privately.
You don't have to, just make sure they are not
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 9:13pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
Well, No admission contact will tell any student his/her chances of getting admitted in the first place, so his/her reply is expected. My point is, he has some publications and conferences, not a lot of people applying have that. Most don't even have a single publication. Research experience and publications are actually a plus for PhD applications and I am sure you know that. That might actually work in his favor, who knows, like I said he has nothing to lose. He can always rewrite GRE.

No offense but that isn't true. Many people i went to grad school with already had 1 or more publications before applying to the phd program. Some had even completed highly competitive masters programs.

Also, while research experience and publications are a plus, the quality is also important. Frankly, a kid who worked a year doing research at johns Hopkins or Harvard, is far more desirable than someone with 5 years research experience in Nigeria, especially if that kid scores in the 90th percentile on his GRE.

While i don't necessarily disagree with your point, i don't think things like this should be rushed. I'd rather take time to prepare very well. Perhaps that's just me. Speed isn't as important to me as well done.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.