Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,710 members, 7,813,345 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (404) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (696548 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 9:17pm On Dec 03, 2017
TWoods:

No offense but that isn't true. Many people i went to grad school with already had 1 or more publications before applying to the phd program. Some had even completed highly competitive masters programs.

Also, while research experience and publications are a plus, the quality is also important. Frankly, a kid who worked a year doing research at johns Hopkins or Harvard, is far more desirable than someone with 5 years research experience in Nigeria, especially if that kid scores in the 90th percentile on his GRE.

While i don't necessarily disagree with your point, i don't think things like this should be rushed. I'd rather take time to prepare very well. Perhaps that's just me. Speed isn't as important to me as well done.
Hmmm, yeah I agree its not how far but how well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:23pm On Dec 03, 2017
OluDare01:

Aunty Lagosismyhome, I hail

I hail back ooo... longest time. Good to see your hailing
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by wisenewgem(m): 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2017
shakz:

Abuja too but no date fixed yet, so which school?

Cameron University Lawton, Oklahoma
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by rashsal2k2: 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2017
Airich01:

You really do not want to do that as they already have the information you turned in on their database. At this point it depends on the answer you give for the next interview and on the mood of the VO. Also let there be a good time frame between the time yoiu went for the previous interview and the one on which you intend on going. Lastly,let there be a change on your ds160 or whatever visa form you filled.

OK I will follow your advice but I did not fill in as having relatives in USA , it was during the interview I told the vo I have a sister over there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cojunior: 9:54pm On Dec 03, 2017
femi312:
Hmmm, yeah I agree its not how far but how well.

I absolutely agree with you guys! However, there is no point spending over 150k on exams and not trying my "grace, but not luck". If the stuff doesn't work, no big deal! I will surely try again. Remember, Success is not impossible and success is also not of high likelihood. In all, I appreciate you guys!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by 4peace4: 10:01pm On Dec 03, 2017
please house will #6m be enough to present as statement of account during visa application ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by 4peace4: 10:04pm On Dec 03, 2017
4peace4:
please house will #6m be enough to present as statement of account during visa application ?
or preferably what's the ideal amount? pls it's urgent someone shud pls answer
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Gistallover: 10:18pm On Dec 03, 2017
Good evening, Pls who knows any cheap hotel around us embassy??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:29pm On Dec 03, 2017
4peace4:
or preferably what's the ideal amount? pls it's urgent someone shud pls answer

This will depend on the amount on your i20 so it would differ case by case...make sure the bank statement covers it

someone going to an expensive school like Harvard University with no funding bank statement will be different from someone going to a low cost public university in texas
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Solonzo17(m): 10:47pm On Dec 03, 2017
#copy this might be useful

CS and CE Ph.D. Research Assistantship and Postdoctoral Fellowship are available in the CS and ECE Dept. of University of Virginia, USA

CS and CE Ph.D. Research Assistantship and Postdoctoral Fellowship are available in the CS and ECE Dept. of University of Virginia, USA. Research topics of this position include distributed computer systems, cloud computing, cyber-physical systems, and Internet-of-things.
Interested Ph.D. applicants please email your resumes to hs6ms@virginia.edu including your GPA, GRE, TOEFL and your rank in your class, with title as: "PHD Apply: YourFullName-YourCurrentInstitution". Students without GRE score or with GPA less than 3 please don’t send emails.
Postdoc applications please email your resumes to hs6ms@virginia.edu with title as "Postdoc Apply: YourFullName-YourCurrentInstitution".
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by stagamagadasca(f): 11:01pm On Dec 03, 2017
princekuli:

My interview is on December 5, just asking this on behalf of a sister who got her Visa approved today, she's not a member on this forum
mine too..would love to see u der
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by vikturaikay(m): 1:28am On Dec 04, 2017
lagosismyhome please ma can you help me with a mock interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by bigfrancis21: 1:34am On Dec 04, 2017
Ayat1209:
Please can SEVIS fee be paid from �� UAE

It's possible. If you have someone there let them try.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OluDare01(m): 3:00am On Dec 04, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I hail back ooo... longest time. Good to see your hailing
The thing long no be small. I just decided to take a break from this thread when school work was overwhelming.
I see your good work here, God bless you real good.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by omoluabiguy: 3:28am On Dec 04, 2017
k199192:

please it's not the flu... don't mind Lagosismyhome . I already sent you the pm. if you reply it then I can forward you the text. Please don't listen to anyone a beg.. All I want is to ace the interview once. and I am a genuine student.

Lol you are indeed the chosen one! For TWoods to give you attention enough to send him a PM. You are acting that interview bro! Keep it up! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by 7rewards: 3:58am On Dec 04, 2017
George Mason University - Funding Opportunities for Applicants

The following faculty are seeking qualified Graduate Assistants to assist in their research efforts. Eligibility is contingent upon admission and enrollment into our PhD in Public Policy program.

Naoru Koizumi has various domestic and international (UK, Turkey and India) projects that assess health/medical policies affecting patients with chronic diseases. These projects often involve intensive quantitative analysis requiring the application of techniques from statistics, geography (Geographic Information System (GIS)) and mathematical operations research (OR). The research team, consisting of statisticians, mathematicians, social workers, medical doctors, and computer scientists, wishes to work with PhD students who have good working knowledge of GIS, statistics and/or OR techniques and want to extend their knowledge to effectively analyze health/medical policy topics. The students will be expected to work in a multidisciplinary setting and will get exposure to medical topics and community involvement. We are particularly interested in those who are interested in care provisions for diabetes, end-stage kidney and liver disease patients. Doctoral program applicants with similar interests should contact Dr. Koizumi nkoizumi@gmu.edu prior to their application.

John Earle is an empirical micro-economist who uses econometric methods to analyze large databases in order to analyze policy-relevant questions, including program evaluation. His projects include both U.S. and international research, much of the latter in the East European and former Soviet economies. Many of the projects use firm-level data to investigate questions such as the effects of privatization and foreign direct investment, the patterns and determinants of new business start-up and growth, and the dynamics of productivity and business entry and exit. Students working on these projects typically have some previous training in economics and econometrics, but motivated students can remediate those skills while at Mason, and all students have the opportunity to develop them further. Applicants with such interests are encouraged to contact Professor Earle earle@gmu.edu prior to submitting their application.

https://schar.gmu.edu/prospective-students/programs/doctorate-programs/ph-d-in-public-policy/funding-opportunities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Olufemi786(m): 7:16am On Dec 04, 2017
God will Favor those of u doing interview today. We will be expecting your good news.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 04, 2017
Olufemi786:
God will Favor those of u doing interview today. We will be expecting your good news.

Amen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Drocks: 8:08am On Dec 04, 2017
omoluabiguy:

Lol you are indeed the chosen one! For TWoods to give you attention enough to send him a PM. You are acting that interview bro! Keep it up! grin
baba, I don buzz you for whatsapp.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Drocks: 8:09am On Dec 04, 2017
Olufemi786:
Amennnnnnn and favour everyone going for their interview this month.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by zeezahbee(f): 8:16am On Dec 04, 2017
4 years ago , this thread helped me.
I gave back to the thread for a while till my schedule got so tight but I always check , reply and smile once in a while.

4 years later , This thread didnt fail me. I was so busy the only thing i remember doing was paying her sevis fee. I couldn't even read her transcript or arrange personal interview for her. I told her to read and do it herself.

My sister Oyin04 just got her visa this morning.

She is coming for Masters in Biochemistry/ Biomedical sciences. She will post her transcript shortly.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by lovelyonps: 8:33am On Dec 04, 2017
Mine is on the 6th of Dec, I am hoping for God's blessings.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by CaptainPhilips(m): 9:11am On Dec 04, 2017
Is it Compulsory I go with My dad Bank Statement to the embassy!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gbaby4live: 10:45am On Dec 04, 2017
zeezahbee:
4 years ago , this thread helped me.
I gave back to the thread for a while till my schedule got so tight but I always check , reply and smile once in a while.

4 years later , This thread didnt fail me. I was so busy the only thing i remember doing was paying her sevis fee. I couldn't even read her transcript or arrange personal interview for her. I told her to read and do it herself.

My sister Oyin04 just got her visa this morning.

She is coming for Masters in Biochemistry/ Biomedical sciences. She will post her transcript shortly.

Nice one.. grin
Abeg, make all the transcripts dey fall in abeg..
I just can't wait to Congratulate all Nairaland members who went for interview today..

Success fall on you all wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by nirmy: 10:56am On Dec 04, 2017
Can someone help me , is der still space dis month for appointment?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by omoyemela: 11:42am On Dec 04, 2017
My transcript. My interview was in Abuja.

Vo: why are you going to study in the US?
Me: I did consider other international destinations but I choose to study in the US because of the academic flexibility that allows me to take electives from other programs which I believe will help broaden my academic knowledge.
Vo: what program are you going to study?
Me: public administration and I will be specializing in non profit organization.
Vo: why are you going to study public administration?
Me: I have chosen to study public administration because of my passion for humanitarian services as I run a non profit organization where I work with 20 children. I talked about what we do in the organization
Vo: how many schools did you apply to?
Me:3 I mentioned all three.
Vo: why did you choose auburn uni
Me: I choose auburn because of how the program is structured as I am allowed to take courses that suits my area of interest which is non profit organization and also because the University is in partnership with about 400/500 organizations some of which are UNESCO,W.H.O just to mention a few. Their partnership will allow me do short term internship with any of these organization during my program. I will gain both academic knowledge and hands on experience studying at auburn.
Vo:Who is your sponsor ?
Me: my uncle but myself and my husband also have saving
Vo: how are you related?
Me: my uncle is my mother's brother
Vo: what does he do?
Me: his a real estate developer
Vo: I will be placing your application on administrative check and you will be contacted in a week.
Me. Ok
Vo: passes a yellow paper with administrative check ticked. He requested for my uncle's statement of account and held unto my passport.

God be praised as I await goodnews.
Thank you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2017
Congrats in advance grin grin

omoyemela:
My transcript. My interview was in Abuja.

Vo: why are you going to study in the US?
Me: I did consider other international destinations but I choose to study in the US because of the academic flexibility that allows me to take electives from other programs which I believe will help broaden my academic knowledge.
Vo: what program are you going to study?
Me: public administration and I will be specializing in non profit organization.
Vo: why are you going to study public administration?
Me: I have chosen to study public administration because of my passion for humanitarian services as I run a non profit organization where I work with 20 children. I talked about what we do in the organization
Vo: how many schools did you apply to?
Me:3 I mentioned all three.
Vo: why did you choose auburn uni
Me: I choose auburn because of how the program is structured as I am allowed to take courses that suits my area of interest which is non profit organization and also because the University is in partnership with about 400/500 organizations some of which are UNESCO,W.H.O just to mention a few. Their partnership will allow me do short term internship with any of these organization during my program. I will gain both academic knowledge and hands on experience studying at auburn.
Vo:Who is your sponsor ?
Me: my uncle but myself and my husband also have saving
Vo: how are you related?
Me: my uncle is my mother's brother
Vo: what does he do?
Me: his a real estate developer
Vo: I will be placing your application on administrative check and you will be contacted in a week.
Me. Ok
Vo: passes a yellow paper with administrative check ticked. He requested for my uncle's statement of account and held unto my passport.

God be praised as I await goodnews.
Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by jerrypeacelinks(m): 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2017
Please house, last week I posted my visa delay transcript where majority of us here didn't see any issues with my responses. Please, my question is, when asked, WHAT HAS CHANGED IN MY APPLICATION, how best do I approach that question? My denial was last week Tuesday. I could repost my delayed transcript to serve as guide as I really wish to know how best to prepare for my reapplication.

HERE IS MY LAST WEEK DENIAL TO SERVE. AS GUIDE
My people, indeed it takes courqge to come up here to post your denial transcript o. The moment I was denied, I felt livke the ground should open lemme fall into it or even disappear into thin air but now, it seems am better and stronger now emotionally. 

Now, here comes my denial 

Visa Interview Denied at the Lagos embassy today 7am. Consular was a dark American lady at Windows 9. 

VO: Good morning. (No smiles whatsoever). Pass me your i-20 and passport. 

Me: Good morning. (Me smiling and thinking, madam smile for once kwanu) I passed my documents) 

VO: I see, you are going to study Maths and Statistics at TAMUK, Texas? 

Me: (Smiling) Yes. 

VO: What is your highest qualification? 
Me: I hold a BSc in Computer Science. 

VO: You said? 
Me: I repeated. 

VO: Okay. When did you graduate? 

Me: November 2011.

VO: and since then what have you been doing? 

Me: After my graduation, I embarked upon the compulsory NYSC experience which elapsed in 2013 and I secured a job at XYZ bank. 

VO: Okay what do you do for them? 

Me: I stated my responsibilities. 

VO: How long have you been working ? 

Me: over 3 years. January 2018 will make it 4 years at the bank. 

VO: So what will this course do for you? 

Me: It will equip me with the analytical and technical skills needed to flourish in my career. It will also help facilitate my promotion at my place of work. 

VO: Why did you choose this school? 

Me: Asides the fact that they offered me my concentration, they also offered me a free campus scholarship housing with an instate tuition waiver which will allow me enjoy paying my fees as an instate Texan resident.

VO: Quickly grabs my i-20 like say she b Russian . But I can't see any free housing scholarship on your i-20.

Me: Yes and that is because the email came later after i-20 was issued. 

VO: Okay? Can I see the letter? 

Me: I passed it. 
VO: Nodding her head. Okay? 

VO: How many schools did you apply to? 

Me: I applied to three schools. 

VO: Did you write any language test scores? 

Me: Yes. I sat for toefl and GRE. 

VO: Can I see them? 

Me: Showed them. 

VO: Okay? Tell me the requirement for this course. 

Me: To complete this course, I will complete a total of 30 credit units of course work which include 18 credit unit of core course work, 6 units of elective, and 6 units of thesis. The course duration is 24months starting from January 10th 2018 and will end in December 2019.

VO: Sorry, can you take it all over again? 

Me: I stated it again but in a remixed version. 

VO: Have you travelled out of the country before? 

Me: Not really. And that is because I have not had any reason to until after now. 

VO: Okay? Who is your sponsor? 

Me: My dad is my sponsor. He is this and that wink

VO: Well, I will be issuing you (I come dey happy for my mind)... She continued... the denial paper, this is because you were not found eligible for a visa according to Section 214 (B) of the US Immigration and Nationality act. Blablabla.. The rest no even near my ear as I was like? What happened? (Maybe VO even heard me talking to myself). I had to hide my blue paper so that one of us a nairalander who was warming up for hers won't be demoralized. 

I marched out like an old major grin while people dey hail me congrats sir, anything dey for the boys? In my mind, I was still asking, what happened? 

House? Abeg make una gather come sit for my head o. At a time I wanted to ask VO if we can start the interview all over again. 

Well? Denial is not failure though. I shall return to retire after the house is done sitting on top my matter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sanctus1(m): 1:06pm On Dec 04, 2017
VISA DELAYED AT THE LAGOS EMBASSY BY THE AMERICAN CHINESE WOMAN...TRANSCRIPT LOADING SOON...NO BE SMALL THING
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:12pm On Dec 04, 2017
Sanctus1:
VISA DELAYED AT THE LAGOS EMBASSY BY THE AMERICAN CHINESE WOMAN...TRANSCRIPT LOADING SOON...NO BE SMALL THING

Sorry to see this

Going for a second bsc after a bsc is not an easy thing to sell especially when the two degrees are so similar

Why dont you target masters instead ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Sanctus1(m): 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Sorry to see this

Going for a second bsc after a bsc is not an easy thing to sell especially when the two degrees are so similar

Why do you target masters instead ?

I JUST WEAK DEAR,,,ITS NOT EASY AT ALL...,VERY FRUSTRATING

(1) (2) (3) ... (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.