Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,849 members, 7,813,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) (70180 Views)

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 1:23am On Jul 08, 2017
OROSUNBOLB:

Itshekiris are not Yoruba. They have given themselves another identity. Please dont bring insult to us. Let itshekiri stay on their own.
We need them not!
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 1:28am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

Who is us? Je ki n mo ki n to da e lohun daaaaada.
I mean Yoruba as a whole.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AkinPhysicist: 1:28am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

Itshekiris are not Yoruba. They have given themselves another identity. Please dont bring insult to us. Let itshekiri stay on their own.
We need them not!

Its more complicated than that but I agree. Itshekiris are now a distinct group.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AkinPhysicist: 1:30am On Jul 08, 2017
YungMillionaire:

Yes o! Anyone who thinks I will deny my Yoruba heritage must be smoking something. Some of the denial is politics. I have lived to long in Europe to give a fvck about politics. My grandpa's father told him a our ancestors migrated from present day Ogun State. That's why I will be visiting that state when I next visit Naija. I am an Itshekiri from Delta State but that will NEVER make me deny my Yoruba ancestors God forbid

YungMill omo Ijebu ni o! O sha mo? cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by OAUTemitayo: 1:31am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

If i may ask, why do you want to learn itshekiri language?
Am inquisitive a lot.
Moreover I have a big project I want to do in the nearest future. Knowledge of Itsekiri will be an added advantage
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 1:32am On Jul 08, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Its more complicated than that but I agree. Itshekiris are now a distinct group.
This is what every Yoruba must accept. Itshekiris dont see themselves as Yorubas. Infavt some dont like us. They will only claim Yoruba when they have quarrel with other Niger-delta tribes.
Let them stay on their own jor

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AdeizaPaul: 1:32am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

I don't understand itsekiri o, but if you want to know some urhobo words that's similar to itseke I can help you out.

Ésété (plate) in urhobo it's o'sete same meaning, Ukujéré (spoon) same in urhobo , uda (sword/cutlass) in urhobo it's oda which means cutlass .

simply put, itsekiri is a mixture of Yoruba and urhobo /edo, although 70% of the language are Yoruba words.

those words like ukujere esete etc are neither itsekiri nor urhobo but portuguese words that entered urhobo via itsekiri intermediaries.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 1:35am On Jul 08, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
Am inquisitive a lot.
Moreover I have a big project I want to do in the nearest future. Knowledge of Itsekiri will be an added advantage
Ok bro no problem, but itshekiris should not be called Yorubas sha. They have a separate identity and they should be respected like that. When Nigeria splits, they can join Niger-delta republic

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by YungMillionaire: 1:37am On Jul 08, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

YungMill omo Ijebu ni o! O sha mo? cheesy cheesy

Abi o! Gbayi joor cheesy Nigerian politics have robbed my people of our ancestral connection. I will continue to pay respects to my ancestral home. After all, I won't be here today without them. Is like a child who forgets his mother - imagine that. It doesn't get more Waffi than me but don't tell me not to learn about my history just because of politics. Shuu shocked

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 1:37am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

I mean Yoruba as a whole.

So you're Yoruba? O lucky gan o. I gotz one hot reply for you, but mo ti delete e.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Naijareward: 1:38am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
the aim of this thread is not in anyway political ethnocentric but for knowledge and learning purpose.

let's begin

Thats why we are not one Nigeria.....

Why cant we foucus on one language if we are one. Lets Dump English and use one native language...
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 1:39am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

This is what every Yoruba must accept. Itshekiris dont see themselves as Yorubas. Infavt some dont like us. They will only claim Yoruba when they have quarrel with other Niger-delta tribes.
Let them stay on their own jor

Se ibi bayi lo ye ko ma ko gbogbo eleyi? Are you the one to decide on who is/isn't Yoruba? At the end of the day, if they decide to come with Yorubas, what's the worst that could happen? Itshekiris are preferable to the chestbeating foreigners we currently have on Yoruba soil.

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 1:41am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

So you're Yoruba? O lucky gan o. I gotz one hot reply for you, but mo ti delete e.

Hahaha! Bro i am omoluabi ooo. Just that i dont want Yorubas to be ridiculed by the minority south like the way they do to the Igbos for always attaching them in Biafra map.
Yoruba are far more special than that.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 1:44am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

Hahaha! Bro i am omoluabi ooo. Just that i dont want Yorubas to be ridiculed by the minority south like the way they do to the Igbos for always attaching them in Biafra map.
Yoruba are far more special than that.

I agree.
Sugbon ti awon Itshekiri so pe won fe join Yorubaland, kini a fe so?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by YungMillionaire: 1:45am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

Se ibi bayi lo ye ko ma ko gbogbo eleyi? Are you the one to decide on who is/isn't Yoruba? At the end of the day, if they decide to come with Yorubas, what's the worst that could happen? Itshekiris are preferable to the chestbeating foreigners we currently have on Yoruba soil.

Here is Akin's opinion on this issue.
AkinPhysicist:

I actually think the Itshekiris will be better off with Ijaws, Urhobos and Bini. Just my opinion. I have no problem with them joining us but I think they will do well in a well structured Niger-Delta Republic. And I think we should support their interest in their new country. Because, even though many of them are in denial we share the same blood line with a vast majority of them.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 1:45am On Jul 08, 2017
OMG

This look like what is spoken in Igbobini, Ondo state

shocked shocked

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 1:47am On Jul 08, 2017
YungMillionaire:

I actually think the Itshekiris will be better off with Ijaws, Urhobos and Bini. Just my opinion. I have no problem with them joining us but I think they will do well in a well structured Niger-Delta Republic.

I'm not disagreeing with the both of you. I'm saying that we leave that decision to ITSHEKIRIS. When the bell rings, they'll have to choose a route to take them home.

Nkan ti mo n so ni wipe, ko n se ibi bayi lo ti ye ka ma so gbogbo eleyi. Ko ye ka ma bu won.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 1:51am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

I agree.
To be sincere with you bro, ko ni da ti won ba join wa. They have given themselves another identity. There is simply no way they wont complain of being marginalized. This might hinder is from progressing. Besides, not all of them are directly from Yoruba; some descend from benin people. That will not be good for the new nation you know.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by FisifunKododada: 1:53am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

I agree.

Not a good idea. When we leave Nigeria, we have to leave cleanly. No room for efulefu-ism.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 1:56am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

To be sincere with you bro, ko ni da ti won ba join wa. They have given themselves another identity. There is simply no way they wont complain of being marginalized. This might hinder is from progressing. Besides, not all of them are directly from Yoruba; some descend from benin people. That will not be good for the new nation you know.

FisifunKododada:

Not a good idea. When we leave Nigeria, we have to leave cleanly. No room for efulefu-ism.

Ah o ga o. Motigbo. Eyin agba le kuku mo ju mi lo.

We'll just have another Benin, Togo, Odua, ND Repub Yorubas.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ezeagu(m): 2:01am On Jul 08, 2017
Please, this is a discussion on Itshekiri language, allow the people to share their language.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Deedeedee3: 2:04am On Jul 08, 2017
Naijareward:

Thats why we are not one Nigeria.....

Why cant we foucus on one language if we are one. Lets Dump English and use one native language...
No boss. We cant use one language. Let Igbos form a country and use their native language as their official lanugauge. Yorubas and Hausas should also do same. It is better like this. We are not united and can never be because we were forced into one country by the British govenment. Nigeria was not formed by us

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AkinPhysicist: 2:06am On Jul 08, 2017
OP - someone mentioned that there is also some Portuguese influence. Could you please identify some of those words? I know that there are Portuguese influence with a few other languages in ND.

Also do you have the names of the traditional gods of the Itshekiri people? This would be very enlightening.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 2:07am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

what part of Yoruba is this

cos i know the number 1 as Okan

Both are accepted and used.
Eni or Okan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AreaFada2: 2:07am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

same here i am in cell 003 lol
sorry for not mentioning u earlier
BEDC so i was in a hurry
pls apologies..

yea Itsekiri is a distinct dialect with the Yoruba language so as we go on u will see many similarities

remember i have always said
itsekiri is an hybrid tribe
mixture of Yoruba,Benin and their neighbours

Chai! Waje, thanks for this thread.

I see Yoruba & Edoid languages (Benin/Urhobo/Isoko/Esan, etc) blended nicely.

Kokodia is an ancient Benin name for Coconut, a term only used by elderly people or babalawo now.

By the way Itsekiri closely resembles dialects spoken in some parts of Ovia LGAs in Edo State: Usen, Egbeta, Ogbese, etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 2:12am On Jul 08, 2017
Can you guys stop talking politics, let's celebrate our brothers from the other side of the divide, the itshekiri tribe has shown us the extent and influence of the Yoruba race,we even have Yorubas in benin, Togo and Ghana, are they lesser Yoruba if they are given other identity by the whites or other africans, even the Yoruba tag is an identity that separates us from a larger pool of homogeneous people.

Another tribe in Nigeria similar to Yoruba after itsekiri is Igala.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AkinPhysicist: 2:13am On Jul 08, 2017
Yes. I have always been of the opinion that in the case of break up, the Itshekiris will do very well in a Niger-Delta Republic. The effective/mature manner the Warri crisis was eventually handled is testament to the fact the Ijaws, Urhobos and Itshekiris can work very well together IF they choose to. Although, the Ijaws might be reluctant to form a country with Bini/Edo, I think eventually both will reliance that it is in their best interest to be in the SAME country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by excanny: 2:17am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

We need them not!

Sadly for you, they are. Just that their own dialect is now corrupted than mainstream Yoruba. It written all over them that over-Yoruba dey worry them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 2:18am On Jul 08, 2017
AreaFada2:

Chai! Waje, thanks for this thread.

I see Yoruba & Edoid languages (Benin/Urhobo/Isoko/Esan, etc) blended nicely.

Kokodia is an ancient Benin name for Coconut, a term only used by elderly people or babalawo now.

By the way Itsekiri closely resembles dialects spoken in some parts Ovia LGAs in Edo State: Usen, Egbeta, Ogbese, etc.
It's called kokojia(coconut) by the Yorubas of the ancient ondo city.

Some forms of old Yoruba are spoken in those town listed above.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ezeagu(m): 2:20am On Jul 08, 2017
@topic, what's the Portuguese influence on Itsekiri, I see that gold in Itsekiri is oro (Portuguese ouro) and potato is matata (Portuguese batata).

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by excanny: 2:21am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:
Can you guys stop talking politics, let's celebrate our brothers from the other side of the divide, the itshekiri tribe has shown us the extent and influence of the Yoruba race,we even have Yorubas in benin, Togo and Ghana, are they lesser Yoruba if they are given other identity by the whites or other africans, even the Yoruba tag is an identity that separates us from a larger pool of homogeneous people.

Nah, Igala has only Yoruba influence the way Itshekiri(an actual yoruba group) has Benin influence.

Igalas are not ethnically yoruba.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AkinPhysicist: 2:23am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna" / Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.