Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:04 PM

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) (70162 Views)

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Probz(m): 3:37am On Jul 08, 2017
Do Itsekiri people claim origin from both Oduduwa and Ile-Ife?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ogbonti: 3:49am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

uko doesn't sound yoruboid, so how can itsekiri own it? uko and kokodie are pure urhobo word, no doubt urhobo borrowed some words from itsekiri.

Uko is a Benin word for cup
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by baby124: 3:53am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
next is numbers in Itsekiri i will list 1-20

1. Mééne
2. Meji
3. Mééta
4. Méérén
5. Maaru
6. Mééfa
7. Meeje
8. Mééjó
9. Méésan
10. Méégua
11. Okan légua
12. Eji légua
13. Eta légua
14. Érén légua
15. Maaru légua
16. Éfa legua
17. Mééta ee Jeto Ogun
18. Meji ee Jeto Ogun
19.. Okan ee jeto Ogun
20. Ogun
Lool. Except for Okan which is one.. the rest mirror Yoruba counting. So 2-19. That's not saying that Meene cannot be 1 in another Yoruba dialect

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by baby124: 3:57am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
still.on Itsekiri 101

Greeting
Ere-Ósón/Erósón (Good afternoon)
Response: Ere-Ósón ra to alé (let the good of the afternoon lead u to the evening) or Ere-Ósón Omeremi (good afternoon my person

Greeting
Ere-alé/Eralé (Good evening)
Response
Ere-alé je (we enjoy d evening together) or Eralé Omeremi

Greeting
Ode-ejuma/Odejuma (good night)
[Ejuma means tomoro in Itsekiri]

Response: Ode-ejuma/Odejuma

Other salutations and response in Itsekiri includes (with their reply in bracket)
Erubó "welcome" (Adokpe "thanks"wink

Also when in a gathering to acknowledge the presence of everybody one is expected to say the following

1. Oma-Iwéré dede mo kiaghan (pronounced "Omiwéré dede mokian) which literally means "child of Iwéré i salute u all"
The response is
Ené jé (we accept)

N:B Itsekiri call their homeland in general IWÉRÉ

2nd form of greeting in itsekiri is
Aja mo kiaghan (pronounced Aja mokian) it means i salute the community/village as Aja in Itsekiri means village/town/settlement

The reply is
Aja jé (the town/village/community accepts)

So on nairaland i can say

Nairaland Mo kiaghan lol the response will be nairaland jé
Yoruba
Ekasan/ Eku Osan- Good Afternoon
Ekale/Eku Ale/ Enle- Good Evening
Odi Ojumo - Until the sun rises again or until tomorrow

Omo Iwerre Dede Mo Kiaghan - omo Iwerre Dede mo ki yin gan - which is good children of Warri I greet you well.

The dialect is so similar to Yoruba.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by baby124: 4:09am On Jul 08, 2017
ezeagu:

Sure, some of the words are shared with Yoruba as well like Yoruba ogun (twenty) and Igbo ọgụ (twenty).

Some words that are similar here are:

Itsekiri - Igbo
ekpetin (box) - akpati
ukpo (bed) - ukpo (platform)
uko (cup) - iko
okérén (man) - okenye
okoro (man) - okoro
aféré (wind) - ufere (breeze/wind)
esin (pig) - ezi
etin (ear) - nti
tolotolo (turkey) - tolotolo

Just a little similar is Itsekiri soro (stand) and Igbo wuzo (stand)
Okeren is Okurin
Oberen is Obirin
... they are speaking a Yoruba dialect. That Okurin and Obirin is man and woman.
Etin (ear) is Eti in Yoruba
Afere (wind) Afefe (wind) Yoruba

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by UncutSk(m): 4:19am On Jul 08, 2017
Why should I want to learn this angry
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by 9jakool: 4:38am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

50% yoruba due to the Language

while the other 50% is due to the influence from the Benin and other tribal neighbours

It's more than 50% Yoruba(Yoruboid), otherwise Itsekiri won't be mutually inteligible to speakers of Ilaje. Itsekiri has 71.5% lexical similarity with Standard Yoruba. This lexical similarity gets higher among some Yoruba dialects like Ikale and Ilaje which both score a little over 80% lexical similarity.

Even your Ere Owuro...Ere Osan...Ere Ale can be understood by a Yoruba person even though it's e ku owuro, e ku osan, e ku ale in Yoruba respectively. Why?

Ere in Yoruba is Ire which is the literal word for "good." In Yoruba, the literal word "good" is not used, the verb for greeting, "ku" is preffered over "ire."

10 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by 9jakool: 4:47am On Jul 08, 2017
YungMillionaire:

But Akin I only understand Lagos Yoruba o! I speak the same Yoruba Igbos living in Lagos speak? cheesy cheesy
Yeah Lagos Yoruba is pretty much a spin off of the Standard Yoruba. If only you stayed in Epe or Ikorodu outskirts of Lagos, then you could familiarize yourself with Ijebu or Remo dialect which is very very close to Itsekiri. A fluent Ijebu speaker can probably pick up Itsekiri in a very short amount of time. Yorubas typically speak two dialects/register of the Yoruba language; the dialectal one and the standard one.

12 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by 9jakool: 4:49am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

yea the only thing that differentiate them is their cultural practice (almost 99% benin)
Umale? Egugun? Ifa/ife? Ebora tsitse?
Are those Benin cultural practices?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by 9jakool: 4:54am On Jul 08, 2017
baby124:

Lool. Except for Okan which is one.. the rest mirror Yoruba counting. So 2-19. That's not saying that Meene cannot be 1 in another Yoruba dialect
Eni is one in Yoruba. Okan is also one. Both are acceptable. Also, Itsekiri mirrors some Yoruba dialects even more so than the Standard/General variety.

For example, even though 10 in Itsekiri is Megua and in Yoruba(Standard) it's mewa, in some dialects of Yoruba, 10 is actually megwa which is even closer to Itsekiri's pronunciation.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by 9jakool: 5:15am On Jul 08, 2017
baby124:

Yoruba
Ekasan/ Eku Osan- Good Afternoon
Ekale/Eku Ale/ Enle- Good Evening
Odi Ojumo - Until the sun rises again or until tomorrow

Omo Iwerre Dede Mo Kiaghan - omo Iwerre Dede mo ki yin gan - which is good children of Warri I greet you well.

The dialect is so similar to Yoruba.

*Enle/Nle is actually the Yoruba word for Hi/Hello. It doesn't mean good evening. E nle comes from the word "Pele" which is the Yoruba word for sorry or take care.

Child in Itsekiri is Oma. Oma as opposed to Omo can also be found in most parts of Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ransomed: 5:17am On Jul 08, 2017
Supare, Owo, Ikale in Ondo state share same dialect with Olukunmi, Itsekhiri in Delta state. My journey across this Nation has revealed that we are a people of one tongue in different locations.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by baby124: 5:38am On Jul 08, 2017
9jakool:

*Enle/Nle is actually the Yoruba word for Hi/Hello. It doesn't mean good evening. E nle comes from the word "Pele" which is the Yoruba word for sorry or take care.

Child in Itsekiri is Oma. Oma as opposed to Omo can also be found in most parts of Ondo state.
Right Enle is a greeting not necessarily for night time.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by realestworld(m): 5:39am On Jul 08, 2017

oniovo no wahala, will do just that and I will definitely mention you. make I alert my guy Mathias about this development .
thanks sir. warri spoil most of us, and I notice most of your post is about upholding and protecting your language/ culture like you're getting paid for it.
ANTICIPATING. THANKS SIR
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by baby124: 5:41am On Jul 08, 2017
9jakool:

Eni is one in Yoruba. Okan is also one. Both are acceptable. Also, Itsekiri mirrors some Yoruba dialects even more so than the Standard/General variety.

For example, even though 10 in Itsekiri is Megua and in Yoruba(Standard) it's mewa, in some dialects of Yoruba, 10 is actually megwa which is even closer to Itsekiri's pronunciation.
It's okan in my dialect.... then eji, eta, erin, Marun...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by 9jakool: 5:44am On Jul 08, 2017
baby124:

It's okan in my dialect.... then eji, eta, erin, Marun...
Ok I understand, but eni is 100% acceptable in the Standard(Common) Yoruba language.

What dialect is that if I may ask?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ransomed: 5:54am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

lolx.. you really haven't listen to an itsekiri man speaking, those from ondo can understand him clearly, the olukumis only bear Yoruba name, they ain't yoruboid believe me, they are more igbo.

:::-- Olukunmis speak and write like Supare and Owo people in Ondo state sir. Infact, there is no difference in pronounciation and meaning of lexicon. Olukunmi and Itshekiri are also similar and easy to understand by a well grounded yoruba speaker and not the funky fied lagos yoruba. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ransomed: 6:01am On Jul 08, 2017
inze:
. . . Interesting.

Mein shikale ni beyi
:::-- What language or dialect is that? Do you want to sit here? Lol, let us move on.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by YorubaNigga(m): 6:03am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
the aim of this thread is not in anyway political ethnocentric but for knowledge and learning purpose.

let's begin

Where is the thread for Hausa learning?

cc mods, lalasticlala
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by darediamond(m): 6:13am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:
the aim of this thread is not in anyway political ethnocentric but for knowledge and learning purpose.

let's begin
Oya, a won Awaseka (AwaIseka or AwaIsekiri) ti de o. Egbe iseyin wa kemabo ooo.
Ise login Ise oo, Isekiri n pe yin o.

I have know that it is impossible to be in Itsekiri land and speak general Yoruba without you being identified as theirs.
Yorubas full everywhere.
Even the Ijaws know that they are Yorubas whom there ancestors migrated to SS from Ondo State.

These are same areas Mazi KANU says belongs to Igbo land.
You can attack me on this my Rising Sun brothers. But I tell you that when the when comes Yorubas in all there terroritories will VOLUNTARILY UNITE as Oduduwa Nation.
We know ourselves.
I can not go to Edo nor Itsekiri land nor Kogi state as an Ijebu guy and speak English lailai it will always be Yoruba language because I know I am still on Oduduwa Soil.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by darediamond(m): 6:15am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:
waje couldn't mention me and my goons on this thread.

I was ban on that thread for listing towns in warri, I don't know how warri effect nairaland, seun please work on that.

I can see some borrowed urhobo words there, like uko and kokodie, also I noticed your numbering is almost same with Yoruba.

cc:
fratermathy
Sanchez01
Nicho118
Itsekiri people are Yoruba's.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by darediamond(m): 6:19am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

same here i am in cell 003 lol
sorry for not mentioning u earlier
BEDC so i was in a hurry
pls apologies..

yea Itsekiri is a distinct dialect with the Yoruba language so as we go on u will see many similarities

remember i have always said
itsekiri is an hybrid tribe
mixture of Yoruba,Benin and their neighbours
Earlier, they are regarded as "Awaseka" or Awa/Ise//Kiri because they migrated to that region they are from Lagos back I the ages. All South South peoe are all from the West.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by darediamond(m): 6:21am On Jul 08, 2017
Efewestern:

that's y you need a good lasting battery, my 4,000mah last me for 12 hrs and I charge for only 1:30mins.
What is the P.B brand name?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by darediamond(m): 6:25am On Jul 08, 2017
9jakool:

Yeah Lagos Yoruba is pretty much a spin off of the Standard Yoruba. If only you stayed in Epe or Ikorodu outskirts of Lagos, then you could familiarize yourself with Ijebu or Remo dialect which is very very close to Itsekiri. A fluent Ijebu speaker can probably pick up Itsekiri in a very short amount of time. Yorubas typically speak two dialects/register of the Yoruba language; the dialectal one and the standard one.
On point!
Wa sere meen!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by sholly2017: 6:31am On Jul 08, 2017
Op God bless u for opening this tread. Am an itsekeri guy but can't speak it. I will use this opportunity to learn o. kudos

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Opiletool(m): 6:31am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

What am I saying and what are you saying? smiley

The Oyo dialect is not the Ibadan dialect FYI. The IB dialect is different from Oyo, Ekiti, Ijebu, Ijesha, Okun etc.

Oyo state pple speaks the same, maybe slight differences. But u can hardly tell.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Opiletool(m): 6:37am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

This is what every Yoruba must accept. Itshekiris dont see themselves as Yorubas. Infavt some dont like us. They will only claim Yoruba when they have quarrel with other Niger-delta tribes.
Let them stay on their own jor

Supported
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Efewestern: 6:40am On Jul 08, 2017
realestworld:

thanks sir. warri spoil most of us, and I notice most of your post is about upholding and protecting your language/ culture like you're getting paid for it.
ANTICIPATING. THANKS SIR

Its our duty to defend our land /language/culture, lol yes sure warri don spoil most of una, where in urhobo are you from?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by dejavski(m): 6:42am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

What's the meaning of jolomi in itshekiri? In ondo dialect its rough translated as amend.

Ilaje: Jolo means fix or amend...jolomi means to fix/amend me

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ransomed: 6:43am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

it is true they borrowed words from the Europeans.

the ones i know is
1. Kosini (Council)
2. Kemejé (Camissar)
3. Woske (Whiskey)
many others i have to ask my elder ones but i will get back to u on this surely

traditionally Itsekiri practice a religion called Ebura, Ogboni is also predominant amongst them. we also have Egbejugbelé.

The Itsekiris worship Umalokun (Sea God)
:::-- The native cults and gods just attest to being Yoruba like in traditional worship.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Efewestern: 6:52am On Jul 08, 2017
darediamond:

Itsekiri people are Yoruba's.

If you say so, but I think you should respect their decision, the op an itsekiri man acknowledged the fact that itsekiri is a dialect of Yoruba, he even said his ancestors migrated from ijebu, truth is that you can't separate itsekiri from Yoruba when it comes to language, but they choose a new identity. let us not fight over this.

@deedeee3 I doubt if you have ever met with any itsekiri man b4, see the way you they throw jab give itsekiri people, some itsekiri's are pro Yoruba have met some even Here on nairaland e. g asaimaigho is pro Yoruba, while some are pro ND, so it's left for them to decide if they want to belong to oduduwa or not

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by dejavski(m): 6:54am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

it is true they borrowed words from the Europeans.

the ones i know is
1. Kosini (Council)
2. Kemejé (Camissar)
3. Woske (Whiskey)
many others i have to ask my elder ones but i will get back to u on this surely

traditionally Itsekiri practice a religion called Ebura, Ogboni is also predominant amongst them. we also have Egbejugbelé.

The Itsekiris worship Umalokun (Sea God)

some similar ilaje words:
Man: Okoro(old ilaje)/Okonren
Coconut: Kokodia
Pig: Ehi
Plate: Ahete(old ilaje)/awo
Town: Oja
Market: Obon

Talk: fo/ ofo
Sea god: Umalokun
River deity: umale and ayelala
Wealth/Fortune: Uwa

Nana: stretch
i want to rest/sleep: aji mi nana ara gboje/mo fe nana ara mi
How are u: Ko se gha?
Ilaje salutation: mo ki gha dede oma ilaje omuro...Ayemafuge!(i greet u sons and daughters of ilaje)

mo ki aghan omiwerre dede
btw...my mother's ancestral path is an Oton jibefun oh...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.