Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,733 members, 7,813,412 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) (70145 Views)

The Name Benin Was Not Gotten From Ife But Itsekiri / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 2:25am On Jul 08, 2017
Naijareward:

Thats why we are not one Nigeria.....

Why cant we foucus on one language if we are one. Lets Dump English and use one native language...

have u forgotten that there are about 521 languages in Nigeria?

some.i haven't heard of them sef

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AreaFada2: 2:30am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

It's called kokojia(coconut) by the Yorubas of the ancient ondo city.

Some forms of old Yoruba are spoken in those town listed above.

Waje wrote Kokodie, which resembles Kokodia more closely.

You're correct about old Yoruba. Actually mostly Eastern Yoruba blended with Benin. What Waje wrote there is much closer. Depending on location in Ovia (Osse) LGAs of Edo State.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by ezeagu(m): 2:36am On Jul 08, 2017
Not meaning to add to derailment, but people are taking the language classification 'Yoruboid' too literally, Yoruboid meant that the languages, Igala, Itsekiri, Yoruba, shared a closer common ancestor, Igala is now generally classed with Nupe and Idoma.

To give you an example of how superficial the language classification can be, the Igala are actually intimately linked with the Igbo, there are border town where Igala speak fluent Igbo, and vice versa, intermarriages have also been happening for centuries as well as migrations, especially of Igbo blacksmith from Awka.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 2:37am On Jul 08, 2017
excanny:

Nah, Igala has only Yoruba influence the way Itshekiri(an actual yoruba group) has Benin influence.

Igalas are not ethnically yoruba.
I ne'er claimed Igala or itsekiri people as Yoruba, what I meant was they're yoruboid.

The Yoruba, itshekiri, Igala and fon were not labelled by such labels in the past, in fact they were one.

Prior to colonization the Yoruba people regard themselves as separate tribes with a common origin(ife).

We've the ijebu,egba,ondo,awori,ikale,ekiti etc
(the same way we've okun people in kogi state)
now divided between or within by rough state/LG boundaries but now united as a powerful tribe similar to what we've under Oyo empire.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 2:38am On Jul 08, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
OP - someone mentioned that there is also some Portuguese influence. Could you please identify some of those words? I know that there are Portuguese influence with a few other languages in ND.

Also do you have the names of the traditional gods of the Itshekiri people? This would be very enlightening.
it is true they borrowed words from the Europeans.

the ones i know is
1. Kosini (Council)
2. Kemejé (Camissar)
3. Woske (Whiskey)
many others i have to ask my elder ones but i will get back to u on this surely

traditionally Itsekiri practice a religion called Ebura, Ogboni is also predominant amongst them. we also have Egbejugbelé.

The Itsekiris worship Umalokun (Sea God)
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 2:42am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

it is true they borrowed words from the Europeans.

the ones i know is
1. Kosini (Council)
2. Kemejé (Camissar)
3. Woske (Whiskey)
many others i have to ask my elder ones but i will get back to u on this surely

traditionally Itsekiri practice a religion called Ebura, Ogboni is also predominant amongst them. we also have Egbejugbelé.

The Itsekiris worship Umalokun (Sea God)
What's the meaning of jolomi in itshekiri? In ondo dialect its rough translated as amend.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AworiLagosian: 2:48am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

Itshekiris are not Yoruba. They have given themselves another identity. Please dont bring insult to us. Let itshekiri stay on their own.
We need them not!

This guy you are just a shameless Igbo troll pretending to be Yoruba.
That was the same way you were also trolling in that thread about Kogi Yorubas wanting to re-unite with the West.

What exactly is your problem?

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by onuwaje(m): 2:49am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

What's the meaning of jolomi in itshekiri? In ondo dialect its rough translated as amend.

there are two names i know that has that tag Jolomi

1. Oritsejolomisan (God has fixed me well)
2. Esijolomi ( i am on track )

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by excanny: 2:49am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

I ne'er claimed Igala or itsekiri people as Yoruba, what I meant was they're yoruboid.

The Yoruba, itshekiri, Igala and fon were not labelled by such labels in the past, in fact they were one.

Prior to colonization the Yoruba people regard themselves as separate tribes with a common origin(ife).

We've the ijebu,egba,ondo,awori,ikale,ekiti etc
(the same way we've okun people in kogi state)
now divided between or within by rough state/LG boundaries but now united as a powerful tribe similar to what we've under Oyo empire.

Itshekiri stands out because there is an Ijebu/Ilaje, and subsequently Ife, claim of origin.

Igala has no such origin.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 2:50am On Jul 08, 2017
AworiLagosian:

This guy you are just a shameless Igbo troll pretending to be Yoruba.
That was the same way you were also trolling in that thread about Kogi Yorubas wanting to re-unite with the West.

What exactly is your problem?

Hmmm.... so he's a troll?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AworiLagosian: 2:54am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

Hmmm.... so he's a troll?

Basically.
This guy insulted Okuns in the Kogi thread and told them to stay away.
Now he is doing the same here.
I don't know exactly what his motive are. Maybe he thinks Yorubas are this insular tribe that should homogenize and live alone like hermits.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 2:55am On Jul 08, 2017
AworiLagosian:

Basically.
This guy insulted Okuns in the Kogi thread and told them to stay away.
Now he is doing the same here.
I don't know exactly what his motive are. Maybe he thinks Yorubas are this insular tribe that should homogenize and live alone like hermits.

El oh el.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 2:55am On Jul 08, 2017
Deedeedee3:

Hahaha! Bro i am omoluabi ooo. Just that i dont want Yorubas to be ridiculed by the minority south like the way they do to the Igbos for always attaching them in Biafra map.
Yoruba are far more special than that.

Kini wahala e?
For your info, if Itsekiri won't join Oduduwa republic, consider us in Ondo South senatorial district out.
We are joining Niger Delta republic too.

It is like you Oyo people think being Yoruba is all about you. angry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 2:58am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Kini wahala e?
For your info, if Itsekiri won't join Oduduwa republic, consider us in Ondo South senatorial district out.

Nice try at the divisional tactic, Ipod jews. Yorubas are beyond that childishness.
I seriously pity you guys. Honestly. You must think your Biafra depends on a Yoruba ally.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by AworiLagosian: 3:00am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

El oh el.

lol.
He also sounds so insultive,even when he is trying to sound like he is not.
Somebody mentioned that there are some Yoruba villages in Edo, and his next response was "Just don't bring prostitution to Oduduwa".
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 3:00am On Jul 08, 2017
AworiLagosian:

lol.
He also sounds so insultive,even when he is trying to sound like he is not.
Somebody mentioned that there are some Yoruba villages in Edo, and his next response was "Just don't bring prostitution to Oduduwa".

Na wa.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 3:01am On Jul 08, 2017
excanny:

Itshekiri stands out because there is an Ijebu/Ilaje, and subsequently Ife, claim of origin.

Igala has no such origin.

Bro, I meant they're proto-Yoruba/Igala or whatever label they now go by, the various tribes probably splited from a common source, for instancd the ugbo people(a Yoruba sub group of ondo state) have stories of origin that almost predates ile-ife/oduduwa claim, anyways let's agree to disagree.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by paxonel(m): 3:02am On Jul 08, 2017
I love this thread, I'm so learning a lot
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 3:03am On Jul 08, 2017
onuwaje:

there are two names i know that has that tag Jolomi

1. Oritsejolomisan (God has fixed me well)
2. Esijolomi ( i am on track )

The meaning is similar enough. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 3:06am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Kini wahala e?

Where are you from in ondo south senatorial district?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 3:06am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

Nice try at the divisional tactic, Ipod jews. Yorubas are beyond that childishness.
I seriously pity you guys. Honestly. You must think your Biafra depends on a Yoruba ally.

I am serious.

The itsekiris are culturally the closest people to We Ilajes and Apois.
If you doubt me, go to Inikorogha, Ubakorigho, Womitenren, Aja titun, Asumaga, Legho, or Igbokoda and see for yourself.

What exactly makes that Deede whatever thinks Itsekiri fits in Niger delta republic while we do not?
We share similar environment, face similar challenges, have similar lifestyle, and YES we both have Benin influence. The only difference been that majority of us, unlike them trace our ultimate origin to Ife, while they do not (at least not yet)
Itsekiri is Oduduwa republic.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 3:08am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

Where are you from in ondo south senatorial district?

Obe Nla.
Do you know where that is?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 3:08am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

I am serious.

The itsekiris are culturally the closest people to We Ilajes and Apois.
If you doubt be, go to Inikorogha, Ubakorigho, Womitenren, Aja titun, Asumaga, Legho, or Igbokoda and see for yourself.

What exactly makes that Deede whatever thinks Itsekiri fits in Niger delta republic while we do not?
We share similar environment, face similar challenges, have similar lifestyle, and YES we both have Benin influence. The only difference been that majority of us, unlike them trace our ultimate origin to Ife, while they do not (at least not yet)
Itsekiri is Oduduwa republic.

I don't care if you're serious or joking. Now you're just trying too hard to fit in.
We Yoruba recognize ourselves..... your skull shape is a trademark.
No Yoruba says "You Oyo people" or "We Ondo...". Your childisness ended in 2016. Grow up, flat head.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 3:12am On Jul 08, 2017
kn23h:

I don't care if you're serious or joking. Now you're just trying too hard to fit in.
We Yoruba recognize ourselves..... your skull shape is a trademark.
No Yoruba says "You Oyo people" or "We Ondo...". Your childisness ended in 2016. Grow up, flat head.

Please yourself. I have said my own.
I take it you haven't even been to those parts before, you are just generalizing.
Yes we are bonafide Yoruba but no group should have the right to decide who is Yoruba and who isn't.

We are the same as Itsekiri.
To show you how close we are to those parts, dead people who aren't to be buried soon, are taken on speedboats to the Sapele mortuary morgue which is actually the closest modern facility to our general area, and brought back when their family is ready.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 3:14am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Obe Nla.
Do you know where that is?
That should be in ugbo kingdom(ilaje), what has Oyo Yoruba done to hurt you? Sede di ma fi oma ulaje we ha.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 3:16am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Please yourself. I have said my own.
I take it you haven't even been to those parts before, you are just generalizing.
Yes we are bonafide Yoruba but no group should have the right to decide who is Yoruba and who isn't.

We are the same as Itsekiri.
To show you how close we are to those parts, dead people who aren't to be buried soon, are taken on speedboats to the Sapele mortuary morgue which is actually the closest modern facility to our general area, and brought back when their family is ready.

Ki leleyi n so?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by kn23h(m): 3:17am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

That should be in ugbo kingdom(ilaje), what has Oyo Yoruba done to hurt you? Sede di ma fi oma ulaje we ha.

Don't mind him. And he calls himself Omoluabi.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 3:18am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

They have this uniformist tendency.
I remember how one came as an inec poll officer during this just concluded Ondo guber election and was calling everyone militant and biafra because of the riverrine environment and other stuff. So you see, the discrimination is actually coming from their side.
And that is exactly what that other one was beginning to show again on this thread. Even though all the itsekiris here acknowledged their Yoruba roots, he was too busy shooing everyone one of them away.
Well sha, one luv.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 3:21am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

Are you Ilaje?
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 3:23am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

They have this uniformist tendency.
I remember how one came as an inec poll officer during this just concluded Ondo guber election and was calling everyone militant and biafra because of the riverrine environment and other stuff.
Well sha, one luv.
One luv ke? shocked
Bro, Your tales are simply incoherent. Lol
Let me not join issue with your insinuations.( I wan sleep) embarassed
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Ereolamide: 3:25am On Jul 08, 2017
Iphone7SPlus:

Are you Ilaje?
My relatives are.
Re: I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) by Iphone7SPlus: 3:26am On Jul 08, 2017
Ereolamide:

One luv ke? shocked
Bro, Your tales are simply incoherent. Lol
Let me not join issue with your insinuations.( I wan sleep) embarassed

What is incoherent about it?
Yes goodnight.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.