Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? (12309 Views)

Who Was Nigeria's Bravest Soldier? / Trade By Barter Market Effective In Cross River After 63 Years / Awka Should Be Ashamed Of Itself - Why Is It Underdeveloped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 18, 2017
PDJT:

-Lol. Ofcos I want Nigeria balkanized to its real constituents Nations.
-The Greek project mention is to highlight what the future holds for Oil dependent Nigeria and how far removed she is from it colonial masters in Europe.

bro, I want it balkanized too...........too much biiiiig wahala for the country.
I now get ur second point.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 7:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

You are misreading colonialism as development. Correct your premise and everything will be clear to you. Colonialism was meant to plunder and not to develop us.

Oh I know that. It's just that most of our countrymen don't seem to know it, which is why some call for them to return and rule more.

We've had the time, resources and opportunities to develop for 57years. And we have not done better than the colonial plunderers.

If we haven't done better, you'd be an illiterate hunter.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Mujtahida: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

Oh I know that. It's just that most of our countrymen don't seem to know it, which is why some call for them to return and rule more.

If we haven't done better, you'd be an illiterate hunter.

I don't know about you but my parents were schooled even before 1960. Standard 7 the quality of which today's graduates cannot match.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Gerrard59(m): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

We are not "blaming" anyone for our problems. We are stating that we are happy to be independent of colonial rule because it was a disaster for us. We are saying that those who ask why we are not like Singapore should use their brains and study the history of Singapore which led them to this point, rather than being superficial and thinking development occurs in a vacuum. When we try to educate you on how geopolitics plays a hand in all of it, you say "you're blaming whites!" If your analytical faculties are not developed enough to process the information you're receiving like an intelligent, educated person, why not move on to another thread that is more to your level?

I have done that long ago. What did I discover? Lee's ingenuity.

If you call suffering and smiling and not accepting responsibilities for your actions "intellect and analytical skills", then carry on!

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 8:38pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

I don't know about you but my parents were schooled even before 1960. Standard 7 the quality of which today's graduates cannot match.

BULLCRAP. Standard 7, What did they learn before 1960? The colonial generation learnt NOTHING except how to speak Queen's English better than anybody, including the whites themselves. And then they used that to look down on their countrymen while scraping for colonial clerk jobs in long knickers.

Colomentality. Fela sang about them. How many Nigerian trained engineers did your father know in his era? ZERO. The whites brought no real education here.They came to loot, but you are too full of admiration for them to think straight.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Mujtahida: 8:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

BULLCRAP. Standard 7, What did they learn? The colonial generation learnt NOTHING except how to speak Queen's English better than anybody. including te whutes themselves. And then they used that to look down on their countrymen while scraping for colonial clerk jobs in long knickers.

Colomentality. Fela sang about them. How many Nigerian trained engineers did your father know in his era? ZERO. The whites brought no real education here.They came to loot, but you are too full of admiration for them to think straight.
Stop being crass. How can you say that the colonial generation learnt NOTHING? I will not even deign to respond to you on this point.You are not ready for intellectual debate if you can so virulently make such a blanket baseless assertion. I bet my Dad doesn't know any NIGERIAN trained Engineer because 57years we have been sitting ducks but I bet he'd know Engineers from his era cos way before his era there were already Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers etc even if not many before Independence. (Shapara Williams was the first Nigerian Lawyer called to the English bar in 1897 almost 63 years before Independence)

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

BULLCRAP. Standard 7, What did they learn before 1960? The colonial generation learnt NOTHING except how to speak Queen's English better than anybody, including the whites themselves. And then they used that to look down on their countrymen while scraping for colonial clerk jobs in long knickers.

Colomentality. Fela sang about them. How many Nigerian trained engineers did your father know in his era? ZERO. The whites brought no real education here.They came to loot, but you are too full of admiration for them to think straight
this man, sorry to say.....u're the one saying sh!t here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by oyatz(m): 8:47pm On Jul 18, 2017
What was the source of electricity used in Nigeria between 1897-1960?
Who constructed the railways, Posts &Telegraph (NIPOST &NITEL)?
Apapa ports, ports of P/Harcourt Warri,calabar,Koko?

Rossikki:

South Africa is ''way way better than us'' because unlike in Nigeria, the white colonialists reinvested into the local economy the monies from export profits right from the first day they took over that country in the early 1820s.

Because they was a very large white settler population there. Attracted to the country by its temperate weather I guess. They saw the country as their own. So they built the first university there in 1829. The University of Cape Town.

University of the Witwatersrand was established in 1896.

Stellenbosch University 1903.

University of Pretoria 1908.

The same British at the very same time in Nigeria, were busy on a very different trajectory based on total extraction of natural resources and very minimal input back into the Nigerian economy. This was how they functioned till the likes of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Obafemi Awolowo, and Peter Enahoro among others said, ENOUGH.

And thankfully so.

It was only after they left that Nigeria began trying to develop. Establishing our first university in 1962.

Our first power station 1964. Kainji Dam.

South Africa's first power station? Try the 1880s!!

I mean, how the hell do you expect Nigeria and South Africa to be on the same technological or even socio-political level?

It's like comparing a man to a child. They started long before we were even on the map. They've been producing highly trained engineers, scientists, urban planners, doctors, architects, jurists, politicians, pilots, technicians, and bankers in their thousands for at least a century before we started in Nigeria. Once you study the history of both nations, you see it makes no sense comparing ourselves with them.

What we need to do is just respect ourselves and move forward as smoothly as possible. But don't expect us to function as efficiently as South Africa anytime soon, because the truth is, we're still learning how to build a modern nation, compared to them.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by mikolo80: 8:50pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

Where did what start? Medicine? It started in Africa, thousands of years before the white man crawled out of the caves of the Caucasus mountains.

na naija we de talk o not Africa o
no move goal post

They were around for nearly a thousand years. Nothing in life is permanent. The whites you worship today haven't even been dominant for up to 500 years. Their turn to disappear from the scene will come too. It happens to everyone.

you ignoramus
is stating fact worship in your village

I'm done debating a child. You wish to remain a slave with inferiority complex, that's your cup of tea. The whites have similarly been enslaved and colonised by blacks and Arabs in the past. There are not superior beings unless to the ignorant who haven't read human history. And no, I don't need a visa to anywhere.
who de find who visa,think before you talk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 8:53pm On Jul 18, 2017
Gerrard59:

I have done that long ago. What did I discover? Lee's ingenuity.

If you call suffering and smiling and not accepting responsibilities for your actions "intellect and analytical skills", then carry on!

Learn how Japan invested heavily in Singapore - both capital and technology - to help it on its way to rapid development:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iiQuDHmTLk4C&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=singapore+allies+investment+of+capital+ww2&source=bl&ots=0gXuppqFnC&sig=kHLbbXtxptNGJ4LZod0eey-oncY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCwrmfy5PVAhUBKsAKHe6lA_4Q6AEITzAG#v=onepage&q=singapore%20allies%20investment%20of%20capital%20ww2&f=false

Singapore was basically a satellite state of Japan.

Which African country do you know that has received this kind of heavy partnership from a developed nation?

NONE. Yet you are demanding we should be like Singapore within a few short decades of independence, all by ourselves!

Is that not madness?

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 9:05pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

Stop being crass. How can you say that the colonial generation learnt NOTHING? I will not even deign to respond to you on this point.You are not ready for intellectual debate if you can so virulently make such a blanket baseless assertion.

But what did they learn apart from Queen's English? Tell me. And state where they learnt it. Name the universities and technical institutes they attended.

I bet my Dad doesn't know any NIGERIAN trained Engineer because 57years we have been sitting ducks but I bet he'd know Engineers from his era cos way before his era there were already Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers etc even if not many before Independence. (Shapara Williams was the first Nigerian Lawyer called to the English bar in 1897 almost 63 years before Independence)

Use your brain. You cannot have an educated class of engineers or any other professonals if you do not have higher educational institutions in your county. All these lawyers and doctors you claim were there, where were they educated? CERTAINLY NOT IN NIGERIA, unless the whites built some secret university in your village we don't know about.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Mujtahida: 9:11pm On Jul 18, 2017
@Rossikki You said that there was no University in Nigeria before 1962. I pointed it out to you that University college a full degree awarding University was established in 1948. You changed base and said it was a half fledged University

You said without the strides we have made we could still have be uneducated hunters. I pointed out to you that my parents were educated before 1960. You changed base and said they were taught NOTHING.

You always twist the discourse. It's futile engaging you. I know of the ills of colonialism but unlike you I am not blind to the fact that we gained something and 57years we have not been able to build on the little colonialism gave us.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:
Finally, somebody with sense. I was starting to think that your type were extinct in our country.
Hahahaha. Thanks Bro. The bitter truth, they say is the clearest way.
Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Mujtahida: 9:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

But what did they learn apart from Queen's English? Tell me. And state where they learnt it. Name the universities and technical institutes they attended.

Use your brain. You cannot have an educated class of engineers or any other professonals if you do not have higher educational institutions in your county. All these lawyers and doctors you claim were there, where were they educated? CERTAINLY NOT IN NIGERIA, unless the whites built some secret university in your village we don't know about.

Do you think at all? Did the colonialist come here to develop you? Even at that there is no denying that some Nigerians were trained as Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers before Independence abroad but they started out here and finished up there. If the colonialist had blocked the means for them to train abroad you would have held that against them. Now you say why didn't they educate them here in Nigeria? Till date are we not going abroad to school? Continue to look at white man 57years into Independence. I am sure you are still blaming your father for what he did or did not do even as a self directing adult. Truly like some have opined here with people like you we would be stuck in the rut of history. Mr Walter Rodney

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:21pm On Jul 18, 2017
Blame games is stale. While the colonialist set the ground for the termination of minds, our people helped in carrying out the mandate. The simple reason why we are not developed after all these years is the loss of values on our part. Their are over 5 countries that had similar experience who do fine today. Read the first paragraph of this article to get understand what I'm talking about. http://www.mortalpoet.com/corruption-is-not-the-problem-with-africa/

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 9:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mujtahida:
@Rossikki You said that there was no University in Nigeria before 1962. I pointed it out to you that University college a full degree awarding University was established in 1948. You changed base and said it was a half fledged University.

What is this one saying? A university college is a not a university. If it was, they would have CALLED it a university.

A full-fledged university is a university that awards its own degrees, not degrees from another institute.
University college Ibadan, was essentially a poorly external campus of the University of London. Is THAT what you are grateful for after 63 years of economic exploitation?

Would you be similarly grateful if PDP ruled for the next 60 years and built you only one college from now till then?
You would scream blue murder! Call them all sorts of unprintable names. Thieves. Animals. Barbaric looters!!

But the white man does it to you, and you turn to a humble puppy ever so grateful for the favour.

Your double standards are very apparent, and are at once comical, disgusting, and tragic.

You said without the strides we have made we could still have be uneducated hunters. I pointed out to you that my parents were educated before 1960. You changed base and said they were taught NOTHING.

Your parent were a TINY MINORITY. Just because YOUR parents were educated, Mr Selfish, does not mean a damn thing. The overwhelming majority of Nigerians were illiterate peasants at the end of colonialism. I said the colonialist schools taught NOTHING of substance, that can move a nation forward. No engineering schools. No teaching hospitals. They didn't even build power plants!!! So what are you talking about?

You always twist the discourse. It's futile engaging you. I know of the ills of colonialism but unlike you I am not blind to the fact that we gained something and 57years we have not been able to build on the little colonialism gave us.

If we hadn't built on it there would be no nairaland for you to type your garbage on because we'd all be illiterate, except perhaps for yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 9:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

Do you think at all? Did the colonialist come here to develop you?

No they did not. So why do people like you worship them, and call for them to return and rule us? I'm pretty sure you are one of those people, going by your sentiments. If you believe they are exploiters, why are you arguing with me? That's what I believe as well. What this thread is about is letting our folks know that, because many of them see the whites as ''angels'' who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Even at that there is no denying that some Nigerians were trained as Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers before Independence abroad but they started out here and finished up there. If the colonialist had blocked the means for them to train abroad you would have held that against them.

How could the colonialists have blocked them from education outside Nigeria? They could not. Never in a million years.

Now you say why didn't they educate them here in Nigeria? Till date are we not going abroad to school?

What is wrong in going abroad to school? Indians, Chinese, Japanese etc all go abroad to school. That doesn't mean it is ok to NOT build schools in the territory you're exploiting as a colonialist.

Continue to look at white man 57years into Independence. I am sure you are still blaming your father for what he did or did not do even as a self directing adult. Truly like some have opined here with people like you we would be stuck in the rut of history. Mr Walter Rodney

White man's houseboy, WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE THEFT OF OUR RESOURCES BY COLONIALISTS WHO PUT NOTHING BACK, WHILE ACKNOWLEDGING THE HUGE PROGRESS WE'VE MADE SINCE THEY WERE KICKED OUT. If you can't stand it, move to another thread.

And get this, it is precisely because of people like me, who do not worship whites, that we achieved independence in the first place. People like Awo, Zik, and Enahoro, were NATIONALISTS, not compliant puppies like yourself. Left to people like you, we would still be under colonial rule, and struggling to escape illiteracy and penury.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Mujtahida: 9:39pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

What is this one saying? A university college is a not a university. If it was, they would have CALLED it a university.

A full-fledged university is a university that awards its own degrees, not degrees from another institute.
University college Ibadan, was essentially a poorly external campus of the University of London. Is THAT what you are grateful for after 63 years of economic exploitation?

Woyld to be similarly grateful if PDP ruled for the next 60 years and buit you onoy one college from now till then?

Yiu woyld scream blue murder! Call them all srts of unprintable names. Thieves. Animals. Barbatic looters!!

But the white man does it to you, and you turn to a humble puppy ever so grateful for the favour.

Your double standards are very apparent, and are at once comical, disgusting, and tragic.

Your parent were a TINY MINORITY. Just because YOUR parents were educated, Mr Selfish, does not mean a damn thing. The overwhelming majority of Nigerians were illiterate peasants at the end of colonialism. I said the colonialist schools taught NOTHING of substance, that can move a nation forward. No engineering schools. No teaching hospitals. They didn't even build power plants!!! So what are you talking about?

If we hadn't built on it there would be no nairaland for you to type your garbage on because we'd all be illiterate, except perhaps for yourself.
See this guy ooo. Is your head correct? Comparing PDP our own democratically elected government with British colonialist who came here basically to plunder us? A man comes and rapes a woman repeatedly. Later on she goes around to complain to her neighbours that the man did not buy her fine clothes. When her neighbours ask her who is the man she says he is a RAPIST and more unbelievably and foolishly she goes ahead to compare the rapist with her husband and lauds her husband for buying her fine clothes which the rapist didn't buy.

My parents were not a minority. I bet you to ask any person on this forum whose parents were born before Independence whether they were educated or not. Which backwater are you from. Koma perhaps?

You just want to write grammar abi? Oya write dey go. Write!

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:45pm On Jul 18, 2017
You know....I've often pointed out that there's a huge difference between patriotism and nationalism. The OP's frequently absurd apologetics in defense of a failed nation represents the toxic face of nationalism. Listening to him at times, you'd think Nigeria, rather than a shithole with barely superior living standards to war and famine ravaged countries, was like Switzerland. I've had amusing interactions with British people about British politics and what I always find funny is how virulently critical they are of their governments. They portray all those Etonians and Oxbridge politicians and elites who are actually skilled, competent people, as utter imbeciiles. I was watching a BBC hosted debate during the UK elections between May and Corbyn which was hosted in York University with an audience of mostly teenage university students and the utter impertinence with which they confronted, contradicted, interrupted, criticized and ridiculed May in particular was a shock to my system. Accountability matters. This is a country where an SAS soldier was prosecuted and jailed for finishing a wounded Taliban militant who was part of a team that ambushed the SAS soldiers, just because the militant was apparently too wounded to be a threat. grin France, a beautiful country with one of the greatest welfare standards on earth is the protest capital of the world. French workers are well renowned and often parodied for railing against the government.

It's utterly bizarre squaring reality like this with a troll who thinks we should somehow be grateful to exist in an utterly useless country ruled by kleptocrats at every administrative tier and every arm of government. And we dare not point out that life could and should be so much better and we have to convince ourselves that a big-for-nothing shithole is paradise. Paradise that tens of thousands of Nigerians are risking their life to flee from in crossing the Mediterranean. What in the world is the matter with you? Are you fuccking mad? grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
You know....I've often pointed out that there's a huge difference between patriotism and nationalism. The OP's frequently absurd apologetics in defense of a failed nation represents the toxic face of nationalism. Listening to him at times, you'd think Nigeria, rather than a shithole with barely superior living standards to war and famine ravaged countries, was like Switzerland. I've had amusing interactions with British people about British politics and what I always find funny is how virulently critical they are of their governments. They portray all those Etonians and Oxbridge politicians and elites who are actually skilled, competent people, as utter imbeciiles. I was watching a BBC hosted debate during the UK elections between May and Corbyn which was hosted in York University with an audience of mostly teenage university students and the utter impertinence with which they confronted, contradicted, interrupted, criticized and ridiculed May in particular was a shock to my system. Accountability matters. This is a country where an SAS soldier was prosecuted and jailed for finishing a wounded Taliban militant who was part of a team that ambushed the SAS soldiers, just because the militant was apparently too wounded to be a threat. grin France, a beautiful country with one of the greatest welfare standards on earth is the protest capital of the world. French workers are well renowned and often parodied for railing against the government.

It's utterly bizarre squaring reality like this with a troll who thinks we should somehow be grateful to exist in an utterly useless country ruled by kleptocrats at every administrative tier and every arm of government. And we dare not point out that life could and should be so much better and we have to convince ourselves that a big-for-nothing shithole is paradise. Paradise that tens of thousands of Nigerians are risking their life to flee from in crossing the Mediterranean. What in the world is the matter with you? Are you fuccking mad? grin

Actually, all I'm doing is pointing out to you and your ilk, that if you think Nigeria is bad now, imagine how horrible it was when the whites were ruling it. No power plants. No power grid. Virtually no schools. No roads. No cars, except for the super rich. No hospitals. No universities. No industries. All the while, heavy economic activity was going on, by way of export of our resources.

Talk about 63 years of pure hell.

We were so backward under colonialism, that as recently as the late 1950s, our national soccer team travelled to England on a playing tour, and insisted on playing barefoot. They had never seen football boots.

Can you imagine that?

Now, I don't know about you, but I much prefer the present state of Nigerian - led development achieved by blacks, over the wretched, worthless, hopelessly deprived, stagnant, undeveloped BUSH handed to us by the colonialists in 1960.

And if YOU had been raised in colonial Nigeria, YOU would have most likely been a palm wine tapper or village hunter living hand to mouth, not this insolent, well-fed, educated (by blacks), self loathing sellout (always assuming you are really a Nigerian) (I have my doubts).

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2017
Mujtahida:

My parents were not a minority. I bet you to ask any person on this forum whose parents were born before Independence whether they were educated or not. Which backwater are you from. Koma perhaps?

What was our literacy rate in the 1950s? It was officially about 15%.

''In 1950, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural. Organization, UNESCO, estimated that the illiteracy rate in Nigeria was about 84.4%''

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Rt75V9nYHsrv8AfPg4GgAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=nigeria+literacy+rate+1950

If your parents were educated during colonialism, they were in the TINY MINORITY. Get that fact into your skull and stop being a dunce.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:34pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

Learn how Japan invested heavily in Singapore - both capital and technology - to help it on its way to rapid development:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iiQuDHmTLk4C&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=singapore+allies+investment+of+capital+ww2&source=bl&ots=0gXuppqFnC&sig=kHLbbXtxptNGJ4LZod0eey-oncY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCwrmfy5PVAhUBKsAKHe6lA_4Q6AEITzAG#v=onepage&q=singapore%20allies%20investment%20of%20capital%20ww2&f=false

Singapore was basically a satellite state of Japan.

Which African country do you know that has received this kind of heavy partnership from a developed nation?

NONE. Yet you are demanding we should be like Singapore within a few short decades of independence, all by ourselves!

Is that not madness?

You clearly never run out of excuses. Since Japan was an Asian regional power that positively influenced and developed another Asian country according to your simplistic twaddle, shouldn't you feel embarrassed that Nigeria can perform no such role and is a bit of a "big-for-nothing" giant in Africa. Again, as I pointed out in an earlier post, countries do not invest abroad out of charity. They do so because they see opportunities to tap into a market and viability. Several times, companies like Volkswagen and Peugeot that tried to manufacture in this country packed up and left. If the rest of the world still think that a country of 200 million people is not worth investing in, you should be concerned by that. Meanwhile, a tiny country like Israel with just over 8 million people is a thriving hub of innovation and cutting-edge technology where all the world's great tech firms - both civilian and military - have a heavy presence. Tiny Israel has several universities in the world's top 100, while "giant" Nigeria can't produce one in the top 5,000. grin. Tiny Israel turned a desert to one of the world's great nations and even as I'm resentful of them and their blood-feud with the Palestinians, I can't help but admit my awe and admiration. Keep living in the utter foolishness that 57 years still makes us a crawling baby.

5 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:41pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

Actually, all I'm doing is pointing out to you and your ilk, that if you think Nigeria is bad now, imagine how horrible it was when the whites were ruling it. No power plants. No power grid. Virtually no schools. No roads. No cars, except for the super rich. No hospitals. No universities. No industries. All the while, heavy economic activity was going on, by way of export of our resources.

Talk about 63 years of pure hell.

We were so backward under colonialism, that as recently as the late 1950s, our national soccer team travelled to England on a playing tour, and insisted on playing barefoot. They had never seen football boots.

Can you imagine that?

Now, I don't know about you, but I much prefer the present state of Nigerian - led development achieved by blacks, over the wretched, worthless, hopelessly deprived, stagnant, undeveloped BUSH handed to us by the colonialists in 1960.

And if YOU had been raised in colonial Nigeria, YOU would have most likely been a palm wine tapper or village hunter living hand to mouth, not this insolent, well-fed, educated (by blacks), self loathing sellout (always assuming you are really a Nigerian) (I have my doubts).

Cheers.

A lot of strawman arguments there. I don't care to compare what the colonialists accomplished with what an independent Nigeria did. Facts are difficult to come by as the state of Nigerian industry and the economy then. I know for a fact Nigeria was already one of the fastest developing economies on the planet before independence and plenty of British and other multinational firms were operating in a thriving agrarian-based economy. But that's not the point. Making it out like we've made laudable progress since independence is utterly laughable. It's the sort of looney twist on reality you may hear from the propaganda arm of a despotic regime. If you feel pride and fulfillment at Nigeria's progress since independence, you're quite frankly a waste of space.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 10:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

A lot of strawman arguments there. I don't care to compare what the colonialists accomplished with what an independent Nigeria did.

Well if you don't care to, then LEAVE, because that is what this thread is about.

Facts are difficult to come by as the state of Nigerian industry and the economy then.

Oh no they're not. I just posted a fact above with sources, showing literacy rate of 15% after 60 years of white rule.

A miserable record of achievement by any standards.

I know for a fact Nigeria was already one of the fastest developing economies on the planet before independence and plenty of British and other multinational firms were operating in a thriving agrarian-based economy.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! grin

What did you say? Fastest developing what??

Now I know you are MAD.

I knew it. You came here to defend the colonial record of failure.

Name the industries in this ''fastest growing economy''.

Describe the workforce that powered this economy.

How much electricity did this economy generate (with no power plants)?

I'm all ears!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by deedeedee1: 11:07pm On Jul 18, 2017
freshest4live:

Can you explain? How is Ghana better?
Nigeria is not better than Ghana. Only that cost of living there is higher than Nigeria's.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 11:19pm On Jul 18, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

You clearly never run out of excuses. Since Japan was an Asian regional power that positively influenced and developed another Asian country according to your simplistic twaddle, shouldn't you feel embarrassed that Nigeria can perform no such role and is a bit of a "big-for-nothing" giant in Africa.

It is asinine to compare Japan with Nigeria, given the history of both nations. One is a developing nation, One is an industrialised power. That alone, without going into their history, should be enough to let a sensible person avoid comparing the two in any way.. But not you. In your queer world, the world is one blank equal slate, where everyone should all be on the same page and level. Or else those ''below'' are ''stupid'', ''ignorant'', ''useless'', unintelligent and worthless. You have the sensibilities of a two year old to be frank.

Meanwhile, a tiny country like Israel with just over 8 million people is a thriving hub of innovation and cutting-edge technology where all the world's great tech firms - both civilian and military - have a heavy presence. Tiny Israel has several universities in the world's top 100, while "giant" Nigeria can't produce one in the top 5,000. grin. Tiny Israel turned a desert to one of the world's great nations and even as I'm resentful of them and their blood-feud with the Palestinians, I can't help but admit my awe and admiration. Keep living in the utter foolishness that 57 years still makes us a crawling baby.

Yaawwn. Israel is another WESTERN satellite artificial ''Tiger economy'' placed in the Middle east by the west, filled with rich migrant Europeans going by the name of Jews, and funded to the tune of billions of dollars per annum by the US and other allied nations. That's a lot of dough for just 8 million people isn't it? What else would they do with all that money but establish businesses, innovate, and stuff? Again, comparing them with Nigeria, with its 300 cobbled together ethnic groups, its religuous divide, its 200 million population, and askinh why weare notblike Israel, is just madness.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:19pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

Well if you don't care to, then LEAVE, because that is what this thread is about.

Oh no they're not. I just posted a fact above with sources, showing literacy rate of 15% after 60 years of white rule.

A miserable record of achievement by any standards.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! grin

What did you say? Fastest developing what??

Now I know you are MAD.

I knew it. You came here to defend the colonial record of failure.

Name the industries in this ''fastest growing economy''.
Describe the workforce that powered this economy.

How much electricity did this economy generate (with no power plants)?

I'm all ears!!!

Plenty. The likes of UAC, United Trading Company (UTC), Standard Bank (First Bank), Barclays Bank (Union Bank), Lever Brothers (Unilever Plc), Patterson and Zochonis (PZ), Beecham, John Holts, CFAO, Leventis, May & Baker, RT Briscoe, Cadbury etc. I'd be here all day listing them. Many survived, but loads of these companies which were indigenized were eventually run into the ground. My dad for example loved to reminisce about shopping in Kingsway, Nigeria's biggest departmental store chain which is now extinct. Nigerian Airways and Nigerian Railway Corporation were major players set up by the colonialists and run down by Nigerian incompetence. There's NIPOST, NITEL....infact, I feel ridiculous continuing with the list of functional legacies of the colonial government run down by Nigerian incompetence.

You keep talking about universities, but they did set up plenty of research institutes.Moor Plantation in Ibadan; Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research in Benin; National Root Crops Research Institute in Umudike which is a Federal University of Agriculture today; National Cereals and Rice Research Station in Badegi, Niger state; National Veterinary Research Institute in Vom, Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research in Kaduna etc. A good number became Universities.

But again, the very fact you're comparing the record of people who came to cart away your resources with your own indigenous governments which should actually care should be disturbing to you. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Rossikki: 11:31pm On Jul 18, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

Plenty. The likes of UAC, United Trading Company (UTC), Standard Bank (First Bank), Barclays Bank (Union Bank), Lever Brothers (Unilever Plc), Patterson and Zochonis (PZ), Beecham, John Holts, CFAO, Leventis, May & Baker, RT Briscoe, Cadbury etc. I'd be here all day listing them.

Dude. Do you know the meaning of Industries?

I said name me the industries built by the colonialists, and you are mentioning Standard Bank. Is bank industry?

Trading companies like Leventis and RT Briscoe.

Are these what you call industries?

Look, my friend, I don't have time for this unseriousness. If you have tangible data to support your position, bring it here. But don't play on our intelligence.

Many survived, but loads of these companies which were indigenized were eventually run into the ground. My dad for example loved to reminisce about shopping in Kingsway, Nigeria's biggest departmental store chain which is now extinct.

We have mom and pop stores in today's Nigeria that beat Kingsway hands down. Not to mention the actual multi-million dollar shopping malls being constructed all over the place.

Nigerian Airways and Nigerian Railway Corporation were major players set up by the colonialists and run down by Nigerian incompetence.

But Nigerian COMPETENCE has set up modern airlines like Arik, Air Peace, and Aero which fly to major airports across the world. Perhaps the colonial business model of top down state-management operated by Nigeria Airways was outdated?

And the railways ....We are replacing that antiquated colonial junk with a proper ultra-modern high speed national rail network, connecting every state of Nigeria, with over $25 billion in contracts already signed with our Chinese partners. The Abuja-Kaduna line is the first completed section of the plan, and functions superbly. You should use it sometime.

You keep talking about universities, but they did set up plenty of research institutes. Moor Plantation in Ibadan; Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research in Benin; National Root Crops Research Institute in Umudike which is a Federal University of Agriculture today; National Cereals and Rice Research Station in Badegi, Niger state; National Veterinary Research Institute in Vom, Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research in Kaduna etc. A good number became Universities.

But again, the very fact you're comparing the record of people who came to cart away your resources with your own indigenous governments which should actually care should be disturbing to you. grin

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... grin.. All those research institutes? Who the hell do you think were in them? Nigerians? Who trained them to be researchers? Where do you train to become a scientific researcher? In your village? Is it not at university? Look, those places were filled with white folk. Those professor types that would fly in from London to partake in some tropical science research, experiment or study of some sort. The only blacks allowed near there were the cleaners, porters, and clerks.

Researchers indeed!! You are actually quite funny. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:35pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

It is asinine to compare Japan with Nigeria, given the history of both nations. One is a developing nation, One is an industrialised power. That alone, without going into their history, should be enough to let a sensible person avoid comparing the two in any way.. But not you. In your queer world, the world is one blank equal slate, where everyone should all be on the same page and level. Or else those ''below'' are ''stupid'', ''ignorant'', ''useless'', unintelligent and worthless. You have the sensibilities of a two year old to be frank.
Since you're a rabid nationalist, I simply wanted to prick your deluded bubble. Of course Japan is centuries ahead of Nigeria and will always be till the extinction of humanity. grin One became an industrialized power from a developing nation. The other is not even a developing nation. Nigeria is an underdeveloped nation: full-stop. There's absolute fucckk all that is "developing". The only development we get in your useless country is we get to see newer, shinier gadgets developed in civilized places.

Yaawwn. Israel is another WESTERN satellite artificial ''Tiger economy'' placed in the Middle east by the west, filled with rich migrant Europeans going by the name of Jews, and funded to the tune of billions of dollars per annum by the US and other allied nations. That's a lot of dough for just 8 million people isn't it? What else would they do with all that money but establish businesses, innovate, and stuff? Again, comparing them with Nigeria, with its 300 cobbled together ethnic groups, its religuous divide, its 200 million population, and askinh why weare notblike Israel, is just madness.

Yaaaaawn.....predictable jealous drivel. No, the overwhelming majority of Israel's immigrants were not rich settlers. Most left a hostile European continent with little to nothing and spent years and decades before independence skirmishing with Arabs and toiling in kibbutzes as mostly farmers. And America's $3.5b in security aid for Israel has squat to do with Israel's $300b economy. Israel is a successful country because Jews are an immensely successful, enterprising group. When you grow out of your jealousy, you might get to digest that simple fact.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Litmus: 11:45pm On Jul 18, 2017
What point is Obi1kenobi making? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by deedeedee1: 11:48pm On Jul 18, 2017
Warship:
"........As for Biafra. If you secede from Nigeria you will be assuring your own demise, as you will lose access to Africa's largest market of 200 million, and be forced to compete with Japan, China, and the west for access to foreign markets. That is the last thing you need, as nations set up protectionist tariffs, while preferring trusted technology from familiar partners......." Rossikki

What are the populations of South Korea, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, France, Germany, Switzerland, etc.?

Are they bigger than 100million in each country.?

Do you know how many Biafrans exist on Earth.?

If Biafrans take Technological Education and Award seriously, they will become a nation of industrialists which will give them access to every nation of the world including wretched Nigeria.

The world market is over 7billion.
South Koreans are 50 million in population while Igbos are 40. I dont see much difference if you ask me.
Do mind that op. He does not know what he is saying

1 Like

Re: Why Was Nigeria Underdeveloped After 63 Years Of White Rule? by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
Rossikki:

Dude. Do you know the meaning of Industries?

I said name me the industries built by the colonialists, and you are mentioning Standard Bank. Is bank industry?

Trading companies like Leventis and RT Briscoe.

Are these what you call industries?

Look, my friend, I don't have time for this unserouisness. If you have tangible data to support your position, bring it here. But don't play on our intelligence.

If you were referring to manufacturing industry, then you have to specify. Hell yes, banking is an industry. And yes, retailers, car dealers etc count as significant investment. Amazon's last annual revenue was $136billion. And clearly, you missed out on the likes of UAC and PZ and Beecham and Cadbury which some of Nigeria's biggest manufacturers. But the fact remains, several British multinationals were prime drivers of Nigeria's economy.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... All those research institutes? Who the hell do you think were in them? Nigerians? Who trained them to be researchers? Where do you train to become a researcher? In our village? Is it not at university? Look, those places were filled with white folk. Those professor types that would come in from London to partake in some tropical science research, experiment or study of some sort. The only blacks allowed near there were the cleaners, porters, and clerks.

Researchers indeed!! You are actually quite funny. grin grin

And how would you know? Loads of Nigerians were educated abroad pre-independence. How would you know they were not researchers in Nigeria? I'm going to sleep, abeg.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Benue 2019: APC Exco Backs Ortom, Akume For Re-election / CCT & Onnoghen's Trial: Islamic's Law Perspective- Prof A A Alaro / Joe-Okei Odumakin Awarded U.S Woman Of Courage Award For 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.