Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,770 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis (15395 Views)

Google Commends Osinbajo’s Role On Ease Of Doing Business / DSS Invasion: Atiku Commends Osinbajo Over Sack Of DG, Lawal Daura / UN Commends Jonathan For Electoral Reforms, Lauds His Role In Promoting Peace In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 2:37pm On Jul 18, 2017
UN commends Osinbajo’s handling of Bakassi crisisBy Daily Post Staff on July 18, 2017@dailypostngr

The UN Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) has commended Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo for his handling of the recent conflict in Bakassi Peninsula, which affected Nigerian fishermen.

The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for West Africa and Head of UNOWAS, Mr. Mohamed Chambas, spoke with the Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York.

Chambas regretted the maltreatment and killings of 97 Nigerians in the Peninsula by Cameroonian Gendarmes over failure to pay a N100,000 boat levy.

“But let me commend the initiative of the Vice President of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, who has already directed that the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to find out what numbers of citizens have crossed the border to Nigeria.

“He also asked the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) at the Cross River State level to look into what numbers are being displaced as a result of this.

“Do they need help? If they do, that authority should also ascertain the numbers involved and provide the necessary support these newly displaced persons may need.

“So I think adequate response has been undertaken by the Nigerian side to cater for any Nigerians who might have come back into the country from Bakassi.

“We commend that effort on the part of the Nigerian authorities,” the UN envoy said.

According to him, the conflict is of extreme interest to UNOWAS, especially with its involvement in the Joint Cameroon-Nigeria Mixed Commission (CNMC).

He said “as I speak to you now, a team from my office has left Abuja where they have been consulting with officials particularly, the Ministry of Justice, Attorney-General’s office.

“They have continued to Cameroon, they were in Yaoundé last week, so we would look into this and other concerns.

“For now, the information we have is that the issue had to do with an imposition of a new fishing tax in communities

“And this may have generated some frictions between the different fishermen, including Nigerian fishermen and tax officials.

“So just to say that this really was not related directly to the border demarcation issues but have more to do with a new tax that has been imposed by the Cameroonian authority.”

Chambas described the relations between Nigeria and Cameroon as cordial, particularly in the fight against Boko Haram and appealed that the trend be sustained.

“The relations between the two countries remains very good and we commend that and also we encourage their continuing collaboration on a bigger-ticket item – the fighting Boko Haram.

“We urge them to maintain this solidarity that they have with each other and to scale up the fight against Boko Haram, which is wounded but not dead yet,” he said.

Chambas who briefed the UN Security Council on Friday, noted that five field workers of the CNMC were killed in January in attack by unidentified armed elements near Kuncha, a region believed to be unaffected by the Boko Haram threat.

“While investigation into the matter is ongoing, the UN is working closely with the authorities of Cameroon and Nigeria to strengthen the security protocol for the resumption of border pillar construction in the area.”

Reports on the recent conflict stated that the attackers sacked mainly Nigerians from Akwa Ibom, Cross River and Ondo States, believed to be a violation of the 2005 Green Tree Agreement (GTA) by CNMC.

The GTA stipulated that the Bakassi returnees must be properly resettled to their natural habitat to have a meaningful living while Nigerians who choose to remain in Cameroon could do so without any molestation.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/07/18/un-commends-osinbajos-handling-bakassi-crisis/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 2:40pm On Jul 18, 2017
I just keep getting impressed by PYO each day.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 3:17pm On Jul 18, 2017
CC LALASTICLALA CC MYND44
Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by TippyTop(m): 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2017
President Abba Kyari would be livid by this story, how dare the UN praise a mere commissioner?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by limeta(f): 4:16pm On Jul 18, 2017
What did he do
He did what afonjas are known for nothing.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 4:54pm On Jul 18, 2017
limeta:
What did he do He did what afonjas are known for nothing.
Did what you just posted make sense you at all?

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by signz: 5:37pm On Jul 18, 2017
97 Nigerians were slaughtered by Cameroon and nothing happened? Is this not a declaration of war?

It didn't even trend in our media, especially Nairaland.

54 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 9:38pm On Jul 18, 2017
signz:
97 Nigerians were slaughtered by Cameroon and nothing happened? Is this not a declaration of war?

It didn't even trend in our media, especially Nairaland.

How true is this?

6 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by limeta(f): 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
Ehiscotch:

Did what you just posted make sense you at all?

And you don't know how to move on

3 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 19, 2017
Osinbajo has done nothing about the Bakassi crisis, which was created by imperialists agenda to breakup Nigeria.

So it is not surprising that he is getting praised by imperialist controlled UN for taking no action on the issue.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by freshest4live: 9:01pm On Jul 19, 2017
GenBuhari:
Osinbajo has done nothing about the Bakassi crisis, which was created by imperialists agenda to breakup Nigeria.

So it is not surprising that he is getting praised by imperialist controlled UN for taking no action on the issue.
You want him to go to war against Cameroon and Frances? We can't do that now especially with Frances behind them, we can only protest for now and bring it before the international community while we prepare ourselves to use the army as a last resort, Or you think Frances do not want Nigeria to fall into that trap of fighting Cameroon??

9 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by adetayo234: 9:06pm On Jul 19, 2017
limeta:
What did he do
He did what afonjas are known for nothing.

One thing about those who hate others pointlessly is that they will remain stagnant and be perpetually reduced to empty commenter on social media

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by adetayo234: 9:12pm On Jul 19, 2017
limeta:

And you don't know how to move on

Some people's thoughtlessness and stupidity can be so engrossing that one would find it difficult to move on

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 19, 2017
Not war but at least do something!!
Even summoning the Cameroonian ambassador to register displeasure he didn't do.
freshest4live:

You want him to go to war against Cameroon and Frances? We can't do that now especially with Frances behind them, we can only protest for now and bring it before the international community while we prepare ourselves to use the army as a last resort, Or you think Frances do not want Nigeria to fall into that trap of fighting Cameroon??

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by signz: 9:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
adetayo234:

So, what should they do? They should make empty stupid noise like immature kanu and declare war against Cameroon? You flaaaatheads should learn to use your brains. It is not by making noise and sending hate speech to everybody; it is by using number 6.

How come you flaaaatheads know business well but can't apply the same sense to other aspects of your lives?

Hatred for my tribe has turned you into an I.mbeci.le.

Let Mexico kill 97 Americans and see if Trump or Obama won't return the favour.

97people killed and no strong worded release by our Minister or President and no recall of our Ambassador to Cameroon. I don't know if we summoned the Cameroonian Ambassador.

97 people were killed and your concern is coming on Nairaland to insult a Tribe because of the comment of 1 person.

Your hatred has turned to madness. You're mad and you don't know it.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by freshest4live: 10:52pm On Jul 19, 2017
signz:

Hatred for my tribe has turned you into an I.mbeci.le.

Let Mexico kill 97 Americans and see if Trump or Obama won't return the favour.

97people killed and no strong worded release by our Minister or President and no recall of our Ambassador to Cameroon. I don't know if we summoned the Cameroonian Ambassador.

97 people were killed and your concern is coming on Nairaland to insult a Tribe because of the comment of 1 person.

Your hatred has turned to madness. You're mad and you don't know it.
They said it's false report, just saw that on channels now.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 19, 2017
Ehiscotch:
I just keep getting impressed by PYO each day.
97 Nigerians were killed and you are saying this nonsense.

Imagine one of your Loved ones is among this 97, will you say such?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by freshest4live: 10:59pm On Jul 19, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

From their report now, the Cameroonians threatened the Nigerians over payment of tax, and out of fear many fled to Nigeria, and it seems some drowned(report not totally clear). However according to them, the 97 figure seem to be a sum total of Nigerians killed by Cameroonians in the Bakassi peninsula since 2008.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 19, 2017
adetayo234:

So, what should they do? They should make empty stupid noise like immature kanu and declare war against Cameroon? You flaaaatheads should learn to use your brains. It is not by making noise and sending hate speech to everybody; it is by using number 6.

How come you flaaaatheads know business well but can't apply the same sense to other aspects of your lives?
I pray such befell your loved ones and you will type this nonsense.

The worst thing that can happen to a Sovereign nation is when another country kills that nation's citizen. It shows that Nigeria is a Failed State.

Be ashamed of yourself

22 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by adetayo234: 11:03pm On Jul 19, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
I pray such befell your loved ones and you will type this nonsense.

The worst thing that can happen to a Sovereign nation is when another country kills that nation's citizen. It shows that Nigeria is a Failed State.

Be ashamed of yourself

You should be ashamed of you existence. Your reasoning makes one wonder if you wouldn't have been better off a a still birth.

What should he do? Declare war against Cameroon? If you know how to use your brain at all, you would realize this guy is just an Acting President adn there is a limit to what he can do.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
adetayo234:

You should be ashamed of you existence. Your reasoning makes one wonder if you wouldn't have been better off a a still birth.

What should he do? Declare war against Cameroon? If you know how to use your brain at all, you would realize this guy is just an Acting President adn there is a limit to what he can do.
You're a disgrace to every Living thing. Your school fees should be given back to you so that you can use it to play Baba Ijebu because your reasoning is only found Outside Baba Ijebu Kiosk not inside.

Let me teach you though i don't know if your adolescent brain can comprehend what I'm saying. In International relations the one of the strongest tool a country can wield is Sanctions. Nigeria can find a way to hurt Cameroun through sanctions and also use its clout as phantom Giant Of Africa to force Cameroun to take responsibility for those killings and prosecute the Killers and also paying heavy compensation.

War is not fought among countries today because a nation can be crippled without firing a single shot

24 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 11:22pm On Jul 19, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

What evidence do you have that this happened?
Any video evidence?
It would be outright stupidity for a president to come out in response to a hearsay.
How do we know what really happened and if indeed they were Cameroon soldiers.
So what did you expect of the Acting President other than trying to repatriate those people over there.

7 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by signz: 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2017
adetayo234:

You know one thing about you and your flaaaathead tribe? You have perfected the act of playing the victim after people give you a full dose of your own stupidity. Was it not your thoughtless hatred for Yorubas that made you attempt to bring down the Acting President? I only paid you back in your own coin; so stop the stupid "hatred for my tribe" that you are saying.

If you didn't show yourself to be a fool, I won't give you a dose of your foolishness

[/b]Like I told you earlier, you will remain a useless, nameless, social media commenter[b] while Osinbajo rules over you and your bunch of ragtags calling yourself Igbos.

So in addition to being a mad man, you're also a Zombie that thinks that everyone that criticises Leadership is an enemy of that leader. However, I'm against hypocrisy that have seen cases like this being down played by media and civil society.

I.m.becile I have nothing against Osibanjo. Maybe if you're not retarde.d, you'd notice that this handle doesn't do Afonja, Igbo crap you kids do here.

As for the bolded, look in the mirror kid I'm sure you're referring to the guy you see there.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by freshest4live: 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
You're a disgrace to every Living thing. Your school fees should be given back to you so that you can use it to play Baba Ijebu because your reasoning is only found Outside Baba Ijebu Kiosk not inside.

Let me teach you though i don't know if your adolescent brain can comprehend what I'm saying. In International relations the one of the strongest tool a country can wield is Sanctions. Nigeria can find a way to hurt Cameroun through sanctions and also use its clout as phantom Giant Of Africa to force Cameroun to take responsibility for those killings and prosecute the Killers and also paying heavy compensation.

War is not fought among countries today because a nation can be crippled without firing a single shot
If Nigeria does that Cameroon would cry to Frances again, when Cameroonian soilders killed some Nigerian soilders occupying Bakassi in 2006, Nigeria retaliated by penetrating 15km deep from the air and it was deadly, and so they had to cry to Frances then. Nigeria has no real power to impose sanctions on her own as well.
Nigeria can however present it before the international court, although they revealed today that they found the report false.

3 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 11:28pm On Jul 19, 2017
QueenOfNepal:

And we may never make the right decisions if we are sentimental.
Sanctioning Cameroon on something you can't prove would be a disgrace for all the world to see if indeed we have the rights to do so.
My dear we are not the USA; we can't sanction Cameroon in any reasonable way.

1 Like

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
Ehiscotch:

What evidence do you have that this happened?
Any video evidence?
It would be outright stupidity for a president to come out in response to a hearsay.
How do we know what really happened and if indeed they were Cameroon soldiers.
So what did you expect of the Acting President other than trying to repatriate those people over there.
The story was on BBC Africa and i read it there. The AG President could have recalled Nigeria Ambassador from there or better still give out a rebuttal if it's a false story but the appreciation from that UN body here shows there is truism in the story

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 19, 2017
freshest4live:

If Nigeria does that Cameroon would cry to Frances again, when Cameroonian soilders killed some Nigerian soilders occupying Bakassi in 2006, Nigeria retaliated by penetrating 15km deep from the air and it was deadly, and so they had to cry to Frances then. Nigeria has no real power to impose sanctions on her own as well.
Nigeria can however present it before the international court, although they revealed today that they found the report false.
We are talking about a country killing 97 Nigerians and you are scared of France. Nigeria can you use a good PR on this issue to make France to force Cameroon to pay compensation and prosecute the culprits.

2 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 19, 2017
The Special Representative of the UN Secretary-
General for West Africa and Head of UNOWAS, Mr.
Mohamed Chambas, spoke with the Correspondent
of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York.
Chambas regretted the maltreatment and killings of
97 Nigerians in the Peninsula by Cameroonian
Gendarmes over failure to pay a N100,000 boat
levy.
Ehiscotch:

And we may never make the right decisions if we are sentimental.
Sanctioning Cameroon on something you can't prove would be a disgrace for all the world to see if indeed we have the rights to do so.
My dear we are not the USA; we can't sanction Cameroon in any reasonable way.

4 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Ehiscotch(m): 11:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
The story was on BBC Africa and i read it there. The AG President could have recalled Nigeria Ambassador from there or better still give out a rebuttal if it's a false story but the appreciation from that UN body here shows there is truism in the story
seriously. No pictures as evidence by the BBC and you bought in hook line and sinker.
This Bakassi case in an international matter.
The land was even ceded to Cameroon by an international court. The UN had to be involved especially as it involves migration and welfare of the dwellers.
They are quite aware these sort of situations could happen.
And you really expect the AP to carry out a reprisal of some sort because BBC AFRICA reported it?

5 Likes

Re: UN Commends Osinbajo’s Handling Of Bakassi Crisis by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 19, 2017
Ehiscotch:

seriously. No pictures as evidence by the BBC and you bought in hook line and sinker.
This Bakassi case in an international matter.
The land was even ceded to Cameroon by an international court. The UN had to be involved especially as it involves migration and welfare of the dwellers.
They are quite aware these sort of situations could happen.
And you really expect the AP to carry out a reprisal of some sort because BBC AFRICA reported it?
No pictures and that UN body made that comment.

Do you really have a working brain

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Restructuring: Implement Confab Report Now - Jonathan Advises Buhari / 'Designate Killer Herdsmen As Terrorists': Charly Boy, Others Protest In Abuja / Conditions Keeping Ex-Governor Obiano In EFCC Custody — Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.