Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

The Urgent Need For Restructuring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Urgent Need For Restructuring (1544 Views)

Yoruba Must Fight For Restructuring, Not 2023 Presidency By Olu Fasan / It's Time For Restructuring, Yoruba Nation To Adopt Paradigm Shift - Gani Adams / Nnamdi KANU: Did The Call For Restructuring Go With Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
During and after the civil war of 1967-1970 the then Federal Military Government amended the structure of Nigeria which was agreed upon by the nation's founding founders in our constitutional conferences consequent to the granting of our Independence. A huge part of the powers which were domiciled in the regions including that of considerable control over resources were taken over by the Federal government. This take-over was fuelled by the need to weaken the regions so as to prevent secession and also by the oil money the Federal government was awash in then which made it possible to take on a much responsibilities as it wanted. The states were made mere appendages of the Federal Government with little powers to determine their economic direction which was okay to all because of the oil wealth In the possession of the Federal Government then. But whatever has a beginning surely has an end. The Developed world is greatly slowing down on its use of fossil fuel as the major energy source with emphasis now shifting to the use of renewable energy. Global companies are not left out as car-makers like Volvo have announced their planned discontinuation of making of fossil fuel powered cars.The future is indeed bleak for the black Gold.
What this implies for Nigeria is that we need to diversify our export economy away from crude oil dependence to other sectors in which we have shown to have advantages like Agriculture, Manufacturing, Entertainment, Mining just to mention a few. We ought to have done this like yesterday! However, experience has shown that the Federal Government lacks the capacity to manage Nigeria's economy let alone diversify it as we can see from the impossible difficulty the FG is experiencing in maintaining even it's only operational seaport and the road leading to it. On the other hand keen watchers have seen the way some serious state governors since 1999 have turned around their states with the little resources and powers. We can see it in Lagos whose governors since 1999 have restored Lagos to its former glory as have given it it's pride of place; we can see it in Donald Duke who transformed Croos-rivers state into a tourism based state which would have gone global if not for the failure of the FG to fulfill it's own side of the deal; we have seen it with Anambra which went from being a cesspit of crime and hooliganism to becoming one of Nigeria's most industrialised states which is now in the business of vehicle exportation to other countries helping us gain scarce forex. There are many more instances to give. These examples tell us that the states will with full certainty perform a better job than the FG in the area of diversifying Nigeria's economy as the FG has shown itself to be incapable of doing that.
Time is not on our side. Nigeria has the characteristics of a country which will erupt into chaos and division Just as the USSR if it's government becomes cash-strapped. We can already see it with the rise of Fulani herdsmen/ farmers crises, the cattle rustlers issue, Militancy in the Niger-Delta and also the rise of the Badoo group which have been allowed the snow ball simply because the FG lacks the resources to properly project it's power in all these places through the Use of a properly funded police force.
A word is enough for the wise!!!

Please watch out for a comprehensive article on restructuring.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:13pm On Jul 24, 2017
PapaBrowne
Obailala
Blue3k
Robotix
TonyeBarcanista
Amarabae
Sarrki
Mynd44
Wristbangle
Freshest4live
Shervydman
SalamRushdie
Lalasticlala please ta this to front page. Nigeria needs all the discussion it can get at this stage.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 24, 2017
lemme read first before I comment....oops, did I just made a comment?

on a more serious note, the FG needs to empower the regional governments to make certain decisions, I don't think Nigeria;with its diverse ethnicity can be governed by one body alone. so therefore, let the regions to take sole responsibility of their regions and not just at a minimal rate as the case is now. I remember a lot of time when the elderly ones tell stories of our glorious past and how things were run by each regions and everything was going fine before the existence of a unifying FG.
again, the FG cant maximize its potentials while attending to ALMOST ALL, I repeat,ALMOST ALL sector in the country.

on the case of oil...if its was in my capacity to make the oil run dry, I swear I would do just that without a blink. like seriously, don't these people think? in the next 15-20 years, I don't think anyone will need our oil again, so, why is this stewpid govt depending on it as a source of revenue? I learnt they even ran a futile mission searching for oil in the atlantic(wastage of $b), just last 3 or 4 months ago, NNPC stopped another mission of finding oil in the north. are this people cu.rsed? if all this money they're wasting to search for oil in a desert was used to generate common electricity, they've actually solved about half of Nigeria's problem.

diversification of economy lies with regions in every country. regions produce whatever they can produce, as we all know, most regions will produce diff products and will be known for diff commodities, just as DETRIOT is known for VEHICLES, HAMBURG is known for MACHINERIES, WESTERN NIGERIA was known for AGRICULTURE,MID-WESTERN was known for OIL-PALM and NORTH was famously known for the GROUNDNUT PYRAMID among others.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 2:24pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:
lemme read first before I comment....oops, did I just made a comment?

Lol. I have been thinking and I doubt the possibility of Nigeria building a modern and diversified economy with the FG being the only economic force in Nigeria. At best they will develop one or two industries and that will not be enough to provide us with enough resources and some regions will cry marginalisation.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Blue3k(m): 3:16pm On Jul 24, 2017
OK Im I've already seen a and gathered I full list on restructuring. The only issue is Nairalanders don't have attention span to read such articles or smarts to get text reader app. I'll Repost My Previous thoughts then make a fully detailed when I get time to edit and format in an easy to digest way.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by sarrki(m): 3:17pm On Jul 24, 2017
We need change in reasoning not restructuring

If we restructure and don't have right reasoning

Its dead on arrival
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 24, 2017
sarrki:

Its dead on arrival
common shut up there............must u be on every political topic, u'll just be ramming around like a ghost.

we need change in reasoning and not restructuring?? see how dumb u are. if we don't reason, can we restructure?
abeg, comot for here, this place is not meant for people like u jare.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Blue3k(m): 3:28pm On Jul 24, 2017
Blue3k:
Things from 2014 confab regarding Concurrent powers:

● Water for domestic, commercial, industrial, irrigation, power and other uses should be placed on the concurrent list;

● Registration of Births and Deaths” to be moved from the Exclusive Legislative List to the Concurrent Legislative list.

● The Integrated National Database should be included in the Concurrent Legislative list.

● Fingerprints, identification and criminal records. Conference decided that items 28 and 23 be merged and amended to read: ‘Evidence, fingerprints, identification and criminal records’ and moved to the Concurrent Legislative List.

● State Governments shall have jurisdiction over the pension matters of their own employees/retirees (This should be moved to the Concurrent Legislative list).

● Public holiday:

Conference decided that it should be moved from the Exclusive Legislative List to the Concurrent Legislative list. This, in the view of Conference, will give states the latitude to declare holidays reflective of the values of its own people.

● Railways:

Conference decided that this item be moved to the Concurrent Legislative List. This in the view of the committee would give the States with high population cities the power to provide light railways for its people;

● e. Control of the prices of goods and commodities designated by the National Assembly as essential goods or commodities; should be moved to the Concurrent Legislative List.

● f. Registration of business names should be moved to the Concurrent List.

● (a)the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity to areas not covered by a national grid system within that State should be retained in the Concurrent Legislative List but to be amended to read: “The generation, transmission and distribution of electricity within that State”

● List the sector (Railway, Port, Land, Water, Sea and Air) under the Concurrent Legislative List, which will spell out the areas of legislative competence of both the Federal and State Governments.

● Census, including the establishment and maintenance of machinery for continuous and universal registration of births and deaths throughout Nigeria should be moved from the Exclusive Legislative List to the Concurrent Legislative List

●Copyright should be moved from the Exclusive Legislative List to the Concurrent Legislative List.

● Solid mineral and Mines should be included in the Concurrent legislative list

● Tribunals of enquiry should be an item under the Concurrent legislative list.

Ps: I'll take advice find stuff regarding power and state revenue.

Blue3k:

Decentralized police

Independent Candiatates

Individal land and minerals rights

Local government fiscal autonomy

Best articles on subject: https://www.nairaland.com/3941209/restructuring-nigeria-all-need-know

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/restructuring-nigeria-ready/amp/

https://www.nairaland.com/3941193/pursuit-true-federalism-simon-kolawole#58754157

https://www.nairaland.com/3941961/what-restructuring-read-bold-parts
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:28pm On Jul 24, 2017
Blue3k:
OK Im I've already seen a and gathered I full list on restructuring. The only issue is Nairalanders don't have attention span to read such articles or smarts to get text reader app. I'll Repost My Previous thoughts then make a fully detailed when I get time to edit and format in an easy to digest way.

Okay I will be waiting.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Lol. I have been thinking and I doubt the possibility of Nigeria building a modern and diversified economy with the FG being the only economic force in Nigeria. At best they will develop one or two industries and that will not be enough to provide us with enough resources and some regions will cry marginalisation.
very correct, the federal government Is even the cause of the debacle of some sectors. very true, but sad.
the FG cant build a diversified economy on its own, they cant, its quite impossible.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:34pm On Jul 24, 2017
Blue3k:

Best articles on subject: https://www.nairaland.com/3941209/restructuring-nigeria-all-need-know

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/restructuring-nigeria-ready/amp/

https://www.nairaland.com/3941193/pursuit-true-federalism-simon-kolawole#58754157

Nice one. They should also include items like Seaports, Company Laws in the concurrent list. They should make provisions that explicitly states out the powers each level of government will have over these areas so that we don't see the FG making laws that will just overide the states laws and kill the
purpose of the whole process.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:39pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:

common shut up there............must u be on every political topic, u'll just be ramming around like a ghost.

we need change in reasoning and not restructuring?? see how dumb u are. if we don't reason, can we restructure?
abeg, comot for here, this place is not meant for people like u jare.

Lol. Is it change in reasoning that will give us good interstate roads and a buoyant economy? Some of underplay the importance of structural changes. If change of mindset is everything we should then merge all the 36 states under a unitary system and hope that the tribal agitations that erupt will be managed by "change of mindset"
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jul 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Lol. Is it change in reasoning that will give us good interstate roads and a buoyant economy? Some of underplay the importance of structural changes. If change of mindset is everything we should then merge all the 36 states under a unitary system and hope that the tribal agitations that erupt will be managed by "change of mindset"

I swear, some people will just use their own to disturb sensitive matter. if it is change of reasoning, do u know the number of times Nigerians have changed reasoning?
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:44pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:

very correct, the federal government Is even the cause of the debacle of some sectors. very true, but sad.
the FG cant build a diversified economy on its own, they cant, its quite impossible.

For about 30 years different parts of the Nigerian economy have been neglected by the All powerful FG eg the Aba industrial cluster. The small attention it is now getting is because of the state government and somebody is telling me that FG can cater for these dynamic population.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Nice one. They should also include items like Seaports, Company Laws in the concurrent list. They should make provisions that explicitly states out the powers each level of government will have over these areas so that we don't see the FG making laws that will just overide the states laws and kill the
purpose of the whole process
one of the reasons states in the USA have different laws.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:

I swear, some people will just use their own to disturb sensitive matter. if it is change of reasoning, do u know the number of times Nigerians have changed reasoning?

Haha. We no do change of reasoning come vote Baba? What have we gotten today?
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

Haha. We no do change of reasoning come vote Baba? What have we gotten today?
I wonder o.......but, the baba dey try small o, my own opinion.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:50pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:

I wonder o.......but, the baba dey try small o, my own opinion.

Baba for which sector? I never see light for my house for weeks now in Kd. Kidnappers wan finish us sef. Which try?
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by attackgat: 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2017
This talk of restructuring is all a waste time. The North will never let it happen. Whenever the issue of restructuring gets to the national assembly, the North will be waiting to use their huge numbers to vote it out.

Only a dreamer is still talking about restructuring in Nigeria.

The reality on the ground is the same as what Ojukwu faced 50 years ago.

"Accept Nigeria the way the North wants it or strive for your independence"
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

For about 30 years different parts of the Nigerian economy have been neglected by the All powerful FG eg the Aba industrial cluster. The small attention it is now getting is because of the state government and somebody is telling me that FG can cater for these dynamic population.
now imagine, if it was a regional govt, Aba should have been a big manufacturer of products, those guys are capable, they can do it. but, how can someone seated in far away aso villa take note of that?
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 24, 2017
attackgat:
This talk of restructuring is all a waste time. The North will never let it happen. Whenever the issue of restructuring gets to the national assembly, the North will be waiting to use the huge numbers to vote it out.

my man, that's not the case........its not a matter of " if u agree, say yeah, and if u disagree, say nah" in the NASS. its a call from Nigerians and not legislators/polithiefcians. OJUKWU wanted to use force, we aint using force. as at now, there are ongoing meetings on restructuring in Abuja,even the I.G of police attended to discuss issues of state police.

Nigeria is for all of us and not the north alone.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:

now imagine, if it was a regional govt, Aba should have been a big manufacturer of products, those guys are capable, they can do it. but, how can someone seated in far away aso villa take note of that?

They don't even have the resources or political will to do it. We must have smaller governments with considerable powers to move forward like USA.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

They don't even have the resources or political will to do it. We must have smaller governments with considerable powers to move forward like USA.
TRUE..........have smaller governments, let the small regional government cater for her people independently.imagine, how can FG provide pipe-borne water for communities and villages in Asaba for example? the FG will say its the state government responsibility, the state govt will say its the FG responsibility since their allocation from FG is not enough to do that.

to build roads sef na wahala....it will turn to a tale of two govts. fashola don dey hear am too. him eye don dey clear small small.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by attackgat: 4:20pm On Jul 24, 2017
shervydman:

my man, that's not the case........its not a matter of " if u agree, say yeah, and if u disagree, say nah" in the NASS. its a call from Nigerians and not legislators/polithiefcians. OJUKWU wanted to use force, we aint using force. as at now, there are ongoing meetings on restructuring in Abuja,even the I.G of police attended to discuss issues of state police.

Nigeria is for all of us and not the north alone.

The sooner people face reality like Ojukwu did, the better. You cannot be asking for restructuring/resource control while still a slave of the North. Only free people control their resources, not slaves.

Restructuring can only be effected at the national assembly. Restructuring is not something the President or IG of Police or any minister can implement because it requires changing the constitution before restructuring can come. Before the constitution can be changed, one must get a two third majority or 67% of the entire votes. Just the core controlls almost 40% of the votes. So where will you get the remaining 7%? And that is assuming that the SW/SE/SS and NC all vote for restructuring.

As I said before, those who talk about restructuring Nigeria are dreamers

Its like talking about going to the moon when you dont have a space shuttle.

So if you want restructuring, first get your freedom then you can restructure anything you want even the shoe you wear.

Or remain part of Nigeria and keep talking about restructuring for the next 1000 years while watching the North block any progress on restructuring Nigeria
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by PapaBrowne(m): 7:05pm On Jul 24, 2017
I'm coming!

1 Like

Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by tinz: 7:40pm On Jul 24, 2017
Fellow nairalanders. Kindly make a sincere judgement on this question. If 80% of Nigeria oil belongs to the north. Will there exists a nation called Nigeria today? Please i need a sincere judgement on this. Tnks
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by freshest4live: 8:13am On Jul 25, 2017
sarrki:

Its dead on arrival
Nobody said restructuring would solve all our problems at once, but it would be a process and a step in the right direction especially as it puts an end to this culture of sharing.
The only problem is that so many states and regions are not ready for it at the moment.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by freshest4live: 8:18am On Jul 25, 2017
shervydman:

I agree too, but the only problem is that we have so many lazy State Governors, and many regions are not ready.
Lagos, Ogun, and even Calabar and Kano are waking up gradually. The North East would also need 90% support from Federal Government even after restructuring. These are the challenges, but l believe we would get there.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by freshest4live: 8:35am On Jul 25, 2017
attackgat:
This talk of restructuring is all a waste time. The North will never let it happen. Whenever the issue of restructuring gets to the national assembly, the North will be waiting to use their huge numbers to vote it out.

This matter is bigger than the North already, it is almost a collective call by Nigerians even the prominent Nigerians. Sorry, there's nothing they can do about it, this is why the debate rages on now like never before.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by attackgat: 8:44am On Jul 25, 2017
freshest4live:

This matter is bigger than the North already, it is almost a collective call by Nigerians even the prominent Nigerians. Sorry, there's nothing they can do about it, this is why the debate rages on now like never before.

There is something they can do about it. Without Northern votes, Restructuring will never be passed into law.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Maduawuchukwu(m): 9:36am On Jul 25, 2017
tinz:
Fellow nairalanders. Kindly make a sincere judgement on this question. If 80% of Nigeria oil belongs to the north. Will there exists a nation called Nigeria today? Please i need a sincere judgement on this. Tnks

Lol. I highly doubt it. The north even behave kinda unruly when they don't have the economic might talkless of when they have it.
Re: The Urgent Need For Restructuring by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 25, 2017
freshest4live:

I agree too, but the only problem is that we have so many lazy State Governors, and many regions are not ready.
Lagos, Ogun, and even Calabar and Kano are waking up gradually. The North East would also need 90% support from Federal Government even after restructuring. These are the challenges, but l believe we would get there.

we'll get there my guy........I believe the NE will need massive support, they're very far behind.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Is A Clown – Lai Mohammed / Why I Will Support Atiku Abubakar For President In 2019 / Naija Newspapers: Today's The Guardian Newspaper Headlines [10 September, 2017]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.