Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,617 members, 7,847,593 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:44 PM

Jonathan Is Now President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is Now President (10647 Views)

Prof. Joy Ogwu Now President Of UN Security Council / Former President Jonathan’s Legacy Is Now President Muhammadu Buhari’s Burden / Breaking News, Turai Now President, Yaradua Her ADC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Is Now President by edoyad(m): 2:16pm On Feb 09, 2010
@remii grin , that was classic
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by SkyBlue1: 2:18pm On Feb 09, 2010
wirinet:

No body prefers a dead Yaradua to a Jonathan. What people like me is advocating for is obedience to the Laws with which we have agreed to live under. The difference between a civilized society and a unstable one is obedience to the laws, no matter if you agree with it or not.

The Jews held their Torah  which was the Law that regulated their society sacred, and it helped then organize their society for thousands of years.

Also most western Nations hold their laws sacred and every citizen is held accountable to those laws. Here Laws are treated with disdain and the Laws are interpreted according to Tribal, religious, ethnic, class or even personal interests. Such societies cannot survive.

The Nigerian constitution is almost a carbon copy of the American constitution, especially the sections dealing with succession, so why had the type of problem we are having never occurred in the US.
If the US president should disappear for one week without informing anybody, he would be impeached immediately.    

I agree that Yar Adua's actions warrant nothing short of impeachment, however, you forget that our AGF even declared that Yar Adua could be gone for months and still rule and no one really challenged him on that basis. Whatever happened should not cover up the fact that many people were in on this nonsense and need to be punished appropriately. Rumours of forged signatures, withheld information, outright lies, and so on that occured in the last few months should be dealt with expediently because this was not just Yar Adua. That for me, is what would really salvage this situation because (wishing no one harm) I genuinely don't believe Yar Adua would be coming back to Nigeria in the forseeable future if we have not even heard from him all this time.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by vigasimple(m): 2:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
wirinet:

No body prefers a dead Yaradua to a Jonathan. What people like me is advocating for is obedience to the Laws with which we have agreed to live under. The difference between a civilized society and a unstable one is obedience to the laws, no matter if you agree with it or not.

The Jews held their Torah  which was the Law that regulated their society sacred, and it helped then organize their society for thousands of years.

Also most western Nations hold their laws sacred and every citizen is held accountable to those laws. Here Laws are treated with disdain and the Laws are interpreted according to Tribal, religious, ethnic, class or even personal interests. Such societies cannot survive.

The Nigerian constitution is almost a carbon copy of the American constitution, especially the sections dealing with succession, so why had the type of problem we are having never occurred in the US.
If the US president should disappear for one week without informing anybody, he would be impeached immediately.    

wirinet:

Thank you my brother, my people are ever ready to accept pandol in place of Panadol. Declaring Jonathan acting president (unconstitutionally), means we still have a president (and a first lady), even though Yaradua did not tell us he is on holidays - he is simply AWOL.

Even though I am Lawyer, I always prefer someone with commonsense, all the above has said is common sense as to the proper interpretation of the Law. Most of the confusion is started by Yar A'liar aided and abetted by AGF idonkia.

It is shocking, if in the 21st century we are still unable to do simple thing rightly, and we then yarn our mouth as giant of Africa. This are the occasion one is truely ashamed to be a Nigerian.

Region/tribal/religion or not, the NORTH are the problem of this nation. They were doing this simply to hold on to power they have never managed anything well in this country.

FEC can declare the President unfit ( and should have), and VP sworn in as President. VP is already acting as President according to the law but he was not being obeyed as such.

NASS should simply impeach a President for gross misconduct for not obeying the constitution he swore to defend and who has not make provision for emergency knowing fully well his health situation to hand over to his vP until he gets well.

The courts should have invoked S.145 to say that the President in absence of his letter of vacation/medical has vacated his office. He was qouted to have spoken to the BBC Hausa world service but cannot write to inform NASS of his medical vacation and when he si likely to come back. It is called contempt.

After 3,7 or max 14 days when there is no formal letter from Yar A'dua, it should have been taken to abdicate his position, end of the story. The nation need CIC and security

VOTE OUT PDP 2011 AND VOTE ANY PARTY YOU LIKE. SEND A MESSAGE THAT THE POWER BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Remii(m): 2:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
mikeansy:

When Yar'adua was looting the country why did you not call for free and fair elections? we don't have that luxury right now. The elections will be in 2011. You can vote whoever then.

That is a debatable statement, when the two came to power YarAdua decleared his assets publicly immediately, it took the whole nation to"thug" out same from Jonathan, when he eventually did, he decleared almost all family property c/o his wife.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by nduchucks: 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2010
I'm afraid that Jonathan may find himself in a trap. If the AG decides to challenge this senate resolution in court, I'm afraid the AG will have a very strong case and the backing of the constitution. You don't address an illegality with another illegality.

The senate has the constitutional power to impeachment the president, they should start that proceeding immediately to checkmate any funny business from the AG. The senate resolution is legally worthless, useless, irresponsible, and shameful.

I suspect that as soon as an impeachment process is started, we'll see a letter to the senate from Yar'Adua promptly. Jonathan should refuse to be sworn in on the basis of this useless resolution.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by PapaBrowne(m): 3:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
ndu_chucks:

I'm afraid that Jonathan may find himself in a trap. If the AG decides to challenge this senate resolution in court, I'm afraid the AG will have a very strong case and the backing of the constitution. You don't address an illegality with another illegality.

The senate has the constitutional power to impeachment the president, they should start that proceeding immediately to checkmate any funny business from the AG. The senate resolution is legally worthless, useless, irresponsible, and shameful.

I suspect that as soon as an impeachment process is started, we'll see a letter to the senate from Yar'Adua promptly. Jonathan should refuse to be sworn in on the basis of this useless resolution.

Jonathan should test the new powers given to him by sacking the AGF. Such a move would definitely put the powers bestowed on him by the senate to the test.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by wirinet(m): 3:04pm On Feb 09, 2010
vigasimple:

[/b]

Even though I am Lawyer, I always prefer someone with commonsense, all the above has said is common sense as to the proper interpretation of the Law. Most of the confusion is started by Yar A'liar aided and abetted by AGF idonkia.

It is shocking, if in the 21st century we are still unable to do simple thing rightly, and we then yarn our mouth as giant of Africa. This are the occasion one is truely ashamed to be a Nigerian.

Region/tribal/religion or not, the NORTH are the problem of this nation. They were doing this simply to hold on to power they have never managed anything well in this country.

FEC can declare the President unfit ( and should have), and VP sworn in as President. VP is already acting as President according to the law but he was not being obeyed as such.

NASS should simply impeach a President for gross misconduct for not obeying the constitution he swore to defend and who has not make provision for emergency knowing fully well his health situation to hand over to his vP until he gets well.

The courts should have invoked S.145 to say that the President in absence of his letter of vacation/medical has vacated his office. He was qouted to have spoken to the BBC Hausa world service but cannot write to inform NASS of his medical vacation and when he si likely to come back. It is called contempt.

After 3,7 or max 14 days when there is no formal letter from Yar A'dua, it should have been taken to abdicate his position, end of the story. The nation need CIC and security

VOTE OUT PDP 2011 AND VOTE ANY PARTY YOU LIKE. SEND A MESSAGE THAT THE POWER BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE.

I used to have the impression that the North was the problem of Nigeria, but somehow this Yaradua episode has made me have a rethink. I think the problem is more complex than we see. I think it is a combination of historical, cultural, religious and social problems. Why have you not asked, that apart form a very few Nigerian elites like Barrister Femi Falana, and the leadership of NBA and very few religious leaders. All other leaders have kept mute or at best spoken from two sides of their mouth. Even though the PDP controls most of our political spaces, there are a few other political parties in our political space. How come they have all lost their voices. Even the media had been rather tame. Except the mild dissent raised by Dora, no other government official had raised the issue since Yaradua's absence. The North cannot be the only set of people that is comfortable with the way things are, the south-south, west and east had not shown any opposition to the current arrangement. Except we are saying that everybody is afraid of the North.

I think it boils down to the culture of our elites selling their people out to the highest bidders, the Obas and chiefs sold their own people to slavery for monetary gains, they sold their people to the British during commercialization, they sold out to the Military, they sold out to OBJ (remember, most of the power brokers today were rabid supporters of third term - including Yaradua), they are selling out to Yaradua today and would be ready to sell out to the highest bidder tomorrow.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Remii(m): 3:11pm On Feb 09, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Jonathan should test the new powers given to him by sacking the AGF. Such a move would definitely put the powers bestowed on him by the senate to the test.

Maybe lawyers in the house can help me out on this, "Acting President" to me is like, delegation of authority in companies, he should have limitations, I dont think power to expressely hire and fire is included.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by nduchucks: 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2010
wirinet:

I used to have the impression that the North was the problem of Nigeria, but somehow this Yaradua episode has made me have a rethink. I think the problem is more complex than we see. I think it is a combination of historical, cultural, religious and social problems. Why have you not asked, that apart form a very few Nigerian elites like Barrister Femi Falana, and the leadership of NBA and very few religious leaders. All other leaders have kept mute or at best spoken from two sides of their mouth. Even though the PDP controls most of our political spaces, there are a few other political parties in our political space. How come they have all lost their voices. Even the media had been rather tame. Except the mild dissent raised by Dora, no other government official had raised the issue since Yaradua's absence. The North cannot be the only set of people that is comfortable with the way things are, the south-south, west and east had not shown any opposition to the current arrangement. Except we are saying that everybody is afraid of the North.

I think it boils down to the culture of our elites selling their people out to the highest bidders, the Obas and chiefs sold their own people to slavery for monetary gains, they sold their people to the British during commercialization, they sold out to the Military, they sold out to OBJ (remember, most of the power brokers today were rabid supporters of third term - including Yaradua), they are selling out to Yaradua today and would be ready to sell out to the highest bidder tomorrow.

The bolded statements above, are some of the most reasonable and accurate statements I've read in the political section so far.  The common enemy is the elite who come from North, South, West, East, and Middlebelt (I'm sure edoyad would be pleased with the inclusion of middlebelt here).
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by nduchucks: 3:20pm On Feb 09, 2010
Remii:

Maybe lawyers in the house can help me out on this, "Acting President" to me is like, delegation of authority in companies, he should have limitations, I dont think power to expressely hire and fire is included.

Acting Presidency also comes with executive powers including firing and hiring. The only issue is that the president can come back and reclaim his office. This is why I believe the senate should start an impeachment proceeding immediately. If Yar'Adua is impeached, then Jonathan will not be an acting president, but a President.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by calyx: 3:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Acting Presidency also comes with executive powers including firing and hiring. The only issue is that the president can come back and reclaim his office. This is why I believe the senate should start an impeachment proceeding immediately. If Yar'Adua is impeached, then Jonathan will not be an acting president, but a President.

I disagree with you on impeachment. I dont think Yaradua as much as i hate him as president deserve to be impeached. It could actually be that he was carried off in an unconscious state. Do you really believe that a conscious Yaradua, with all of these issues will keep quiet?

The senate just played a smart one i think. Since you guys said that was Yaradua on BBC, then we can use that info in place of the letter. Anytime (thats if ever) he comes and is fit to resume, then he writes another letter to that effect before he can reclaim his position. I think this sufficiently takes care of the logjam. Its same thing as the president sending the letter though in this case, the NASS went to the internet to print the letter themselves!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sjeezy8: 3:41pm On Feb 09, 2010
impeachment impeachment impeachment

I want goodluck as presido nothing short of it.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by wirinet(m): 3:54pm On Feb 09, 2010
calyx:

I disagree with you on impeachment. I dont think Yaradua as much as i hate him as president deserve to be impeached. It could actually be that he was carried off in an unconscious state. Do you really believe that a conscious Yaradua, with all of these issues will keep quiet?

The senate just played a smart one i think. Since you guys said that was Yaradua on BBC, then we can use that info in place of the letter. Anytime (thats if ever) he comes and is fit to resume, then he writes another letter to that effect before he can reclaim his position. I think this sufficiently takes care of the logjam. Its same thing as the president sending the letter though in this case, the NASS went to the internet to print the letter themselves!!!!!!

I also disagree with you on impeachment. I for one do not dislike Yaradua, but be question goes beyond whether you like him or not, he deserved to be impeached because he had abdicated his post for over 3months without officially informing Nigerians. The position of president is not like that of a Monarch that is unquestionable or absolute. A president is an employee, with specific duties and tenure.

The excuse that he was carried out in an unconscious state is an after thought, how come we were not told that soon after he left and was told almost 3 months later. Also did you hear that from his doctors ?. If he was carried out unconscious how come he did not inform the senate after he became conscious and chose only to sign appropriation bill and grant interview to BBC.

Yaradua cannot write another letter, when he did not write any in the first place.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by socro: 4:15pm On Feb 09, 2010
is it true?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by redsun(m): 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2010
And now what?Now that we got love what are we gonna do?

Same sh-it,same set of animals,same stealing.Nigeria problem is not tribe but concepts and agendas.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 4:27pm On Feb 09, 2010
ndu_chucks:

The common enemy is the elite who come from North, South, West, East, and Middlebelt

@Ndu Chuks

i never use to like ur post cos they are some how tribalistic and always anti Igbo but for this statement u have made i sure agree with u 100%

our problem is not the north nor the south it is the elite in every crooks and crannies of this country. until we begin as a country to tell our self the truth well we wont move forward

enjoy
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 09, 2010
Because of political expendiency of the present situation, our political elites are setting very bad precedent for the future.

If this motion stays, it will embolden these people to pass more resolutions that negates the constitution in future.

We have not achieve any solution with this resolution of the senate, instead it's going to complicate the issues the more.

What we need is for the Senate to activate Section 145.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by egift(m): 6:43pm On Feb 09, 2010
Why not swear him in already

http://www.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by jahrule: 6:51pm On Feb 09, 2010
The senate donot have power to that. It is only the FEC that has such power, I `m afraid this might be a set up for jonathan.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Dede1(m): 7:13pm On Feb 09, 2010
ndu_chucks:

What impeachable offence has Yar adua committed?  The Nigerian constitution that dealt with succession did not declare that the president should be impeached if the President fails to transmit a letter of absence to Senate President and Speaker of the House. The senate has no power to jump start impeachment procedures without culpable offence committed by the President.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by calyx: 7:26pm On Feb 09, 2010
wirinet:

I also disagree with you on impeachment. I for one do not dislike Yaradua, but be question goes beyond whether you like him or not, he deserved to be impeached because he had abdicated his post for over 3months without officially informing Nigerians. The position of president is not like that of a Monarch that is unquestionable or absolute. A president is an employee, with specific duties and tenure.

The excuse that he was carried out in an unconscious state is an after thought, how come we were not told that soon after he left and was told almost 3 months later. Also did you hear that from his doctors ?. If he was carried out unconscious how come he did not inform the senate after he became conscious and chose only to sign appropriation bill and grant interview to BBC.

Yaradua cannot write another letter, when he did not write any in the first place.

Its actually very complicated. Now lets assume that Yaradua was actually flown out of the country unconscious and then all the hoopla about BBC interview and signing appropriation bill + other lies/ silence are all orchestrated gimmicks by Yaraduas kitchen cabinets to keep Nigerians in the dark of the real situation and buy time, would you still think its very fair to impeach the president? assuming also that he may actually have taken the opposite course if he was in a state of consciousness.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sultaan(m): 7:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
How come? I thought Yar Afool implied that eastern person becoming the president will be over his dead body
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by nduchucks: 7:51pm On Feb 09, 2010
Dede1:

What impeachable offence has Yar adua committed? The Nigerian constitution that dealt with succession did not declare that the president should be impeached if the President fails to transmit a letter of absence to Senate President and Speaker of the House. The senate has no power to jump start impeachment procedures without culpable of offence committed by the President.

I have to agree with you that the president's failure to transmit a letter of absence  does not in of itself constitute an impeacheable offence.

Now, Section 143 subsection 1 through subsection 2(b) of the Constitution of Nigeria provides in part, as follows,

“The President or Vice-President may be removed from office in accordance with the provisions of this section. Whenever a notice of any allegation in writing signed by not less than one-third of the members of the National Assembly:-

(a) is presented to the President of the Senate;

(b) stating that the holder of the office of President or Vice-President is guilty of gross misconduct in the performance of the functions of his office, detailed particulars of which shall be specified…

Section 143 subsections 10 and 11 provides further, and states as follows…

(10) No proceedings or determination of the Panel or of the National Assembly or any matter relating thereto shall be entertained or questioned in any court.

(11) In this section -

"gross misconduct" means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a[b] misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion of the National Assembly to gross misconduct.[/b]

In my view, Yar'Adua's continued absence from presidential duties for about 80 days without explanations constitutes gross misconduct.

I bet we can find two-third of the members of the National Assembly who will agree that the power vacuum created by Yar'Adua's continued absence could result to an onset of violence, anarchy, coup, civil war and complete disintegration of Nigeria, all which have been speculated, feared and rumored.

I suspect that when an impeachment proceeding begins, Yar'Adua's transmission letter will promptly follow - i.e. if the man is capable of writing or signing any letter at this point.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by wirinet(m): 7:56pm On Feb 09, 2010
Dede1:

What impeachable offence has Yar adua committed?  The Nigerian constitution that dealt with succession did not declare that the president should be impeached if the President fails to transmit a letter of absence to Senate President and Speaker of the House. The senate has no power to jump start impeachment procedures without culpable of offence committed by the President.

The president has committed so many impeachable offenses that you would need volumes to state them. The principal ones are negligence of duty, failing to receive foreign ambassadors who have been posted to Nigeria, appointment of INEC commissioners so that they can form a quorum, fulfilling our international obligations, chairing of so many committees, like the weekly National security briefings.

He could be impeached for Negligence of duty (gross misconduct), except you are telling me a Governor or a president can just disappear and reappear 6 months later, without any information about his whereabouts and continue from where he left.

calyx:

Its actually very complicated. Now lets assume that Yaradua was actually flown out of the country unconscious and then all the hoopla about BBC interview and signing appropriation bill + other lies/ silence are all orchestrated gimmicks by Yaraduas kitchen cabinets to keep Nigerians in the dark of the real situation and buy time, would you still think its very fair to impeach the president? assuming also that he may actually have taken the opposite course if he was in a state of consciousness.

It we should go by your theory that Yaradua was taking away unconscious, of course he would have had the sympathy of the average Nigerian, but all the hoopla about BBC interview and signing appropriation bill + other lies borders on criminality. If that was the case, the situation would have been handled better by providing a "letter of vacation" (even if it was "Oluwoled"wink to let Jonathan act as president, instead of taking us through the embarrassing ordeal we had been going through,  at least it would showed that the people at the helm of affairs have some degree of respect for the constitution.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by KnowAll(m): 8:15pm On Feb 09, 2010
By preparing to swear Jonathan as an acting President instead of an Executive President, might be a sort of check by the Senate on Jonathan Goodluck, the word acting simply means the status quo should remain the same, hiring and firing would be done with some consultation with the Senate. Goodluck would be a checked and a lame duck president, just their to steady the ship for the next 18 months.

My strong feelings are the Senates knows the true state of Yaradua's health, but I doubt if the VP knows. The VP would always look behind his back b4 making any decision with regards to Hiring and Firing. The Senate would remind Goodluck that if he fires anybody without thinking it through, that decsion might be rescinded if the President resumes his post.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by frudokafor(m): 8:20pm On Feb 09, 2010
he is my hero
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Hatitude: 11:32pm On Feb 09, 2010

By preparing to swear Jonathan as an acting President instead of an Executive President,  might be a sort of check by the Senate on Jonathan Goodluck, the word acting simply means the status quo should remain the same, hiring and firing would be done with some consultation with the Senate. Goodluck would be a checked and a lame duck president,  just their to steady the ship for the next 18 months.

My strong feelings are the Senates knows the true state of Yaradua's health, but I doubt if the VP knows. The VP would always look behind his back b4 making any decision with regards to Hiring and Firing. The Senate would remind Goodluck that if he fires anybody without thinking it through, that decsion might be rescinded if the President resumes his post.

If this is actually the plan of the Senate, then Goodluck Jonathan can foil their plans by constituting the FEC that would pass a resolution that declares the President incapacitated based on advise from medical professionals. The AGF - I'madrunkard already confirmed himself that the court has ruled that he - Jonathan has executive powers and may choose to fire him. HE SHOULD THEREFORE FIRE THE AGF.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by SapeleGuy: 11:57pm On Feb 09, 2010
Why don't they stop all this magomago. The people want 'impeeeshment', no long storys.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by udezue(m): 12:01am On Feb 10, 2010
He needs to be da real President not acting.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by paddylo1(m): 1:34am On Feb 10, 2010
If Jonathan has a sense of the world around him, he must do a few things in other to be in control. He must make sure he is not a lame duck President even though he has to run the country for only 18 Months then so be it.

1. Replace AGF Aondoaka with Odein Ajumogbia SAN quickly (Aondoakaa has misdirected the Nation enough)

2. Replace NSA Sarki Mukhtar with Gen. Muhamed Abdulahi (Former Chief of Staff to Presidency) or Gen Andrew Owoye Azazi (former Defence Chief, thats if he is interested). Sarki Mukhtar has been busy with unholy activities lately.

3. Ojo Maduekwe to be replaced by Donald Duke

4. Bring El-Rufai into the cabinet if you can probably as Energy Minister to drive home the IPP project.

5. FCT Minister Adamu Aliero should also be shown the way and probably replaced with someone like Adamu Muazu

6. Abba Ruma can remain as Agricultural Minister but he must be badly relegated in the scheme of things.

Yayale Ahmed for VP

i like this analysis
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by shesi(m): 1:53am On Feb 10, 2010
, and the comic relief that is nigeria continues full steam.

now you guys have a p.i.m.p as your president? what's with the hats?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by vinceobe: 10:10am On Feb 10, 2010
Glad that Jonathan is Acting President. At least things can start to move. First thing to tackel is the power sector.
There is no electricity in my place!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku "Selected" As Northern Consensus Candidate / Court Will Decide El-zakzaky’s Fate, Presidency Tells Shiites / Gov. Ugwuanyi Joins Priests To Bid Late Fr. Offu Farewell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.