Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,617 members, 7,847,593 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:44 PM

Jonathan Is Now President - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is Now President (10647 Views)

Prof. Joy Ogwu Now President Of UN Security Council / Former President Jonathan’s Legacy Is Now President Muhammadu Buhari’s Burden / Breaking News, Turai Now President, Yaradua Her ADC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 10, 2010
goodluck to the southerners. all we need is goodluck to this administration. but no more kidnapping. jet
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Okukk(m): 6:44pm On Feb 10, 2010
tell me is nigeria moving forward or where are we going from here
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by princekevo(m): 7:45pm On Feb 10, 2010
Reptyle:

Well said!!!
I speak for myself when I reiterate that at best, what this Senate has done with its resolution is to slip a banana peel under the VP's feet. It is like asking him to build a skyscraper on a foundation made from styrofoam. If the process that saw his emergence as acting president goes against the dictates of the constitution, as it unfortunately is presently, then any action he takes can easily be voided by a court order filed by any interested party. Otherwise, it sets a dangerous and illegal precedent.

What is worth doing is worth doing well. This politicians know the law. it is written down in black and white. Why can't they simply follow the prescribed procedure. If they start the process today, Jonathan can legally assume that role by Friday. it is not such a difficult process. Yorubas will say " Eje ka se bi won shen se, koba le ri bo tin ri!!!"

Here is the only reasonable post i have red on this thread and few more. It seems most of us does not understand the provision made by the Constitution in a time like this, neither is the crooks called politicians at Aso rock are unable to interpret the Constitution. There is no power giving to the Legislative to make VP an acting President, while the mandate remains with the president.The VP can only become acting based on 4 occasions
1. The president writing a letter to the legislative. (temporary handover, which he still got his mandate as the presido)
2. Permanent resignation. ( Automatic lost of mandate)
3. FEC passing a 2/3 of the majority of the president incapacitation to assume his duties(Vote of no confidence, which he lost his madate also)
4. The legislative passing a vote of no confidence on the Prisedent(Impeachment, which is same as 2 and 3).

What they just did is unconstitutional, making Jonathan an acting president while the mandate still lies with Yaradua. meaning Yaradua can take over power from him any day he comes back. At a time like this
the Constitution only gave the legislatures power to impeach the sick man and the madate automatically withdrawn from him, and VP becoming the acting untill a proper election is being conducted .

They know the right thing to do but they don't want to do it. They are toying with Jonathan whom they can manipulate so that they dont have to tremble for their Jobs. Let Jonathan wake up tml as an acting president to sack any FEC member, you guys will see what their reaction will be.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by supereagle(m): 8:04pm On Feb 10, 2010
Akunyuli memo made it possible. She is the woman of the year.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Johnnoo(m): 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2010
supereagle:

Exactly, Democracy is thriving in Nigeria!!
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Fhemmmy: 8:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
Johnnoo:

Exactly, Democracy is thriving in Nigeria!!

Dont start jumping, not just yet.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by akigbemaru: 8:15pm On Feb 10, 2010
supereagle:

Tell me what she has done to warrant her woman of the year? If she could have passed the "YEYE-MEMO" long time ago, I would have given it to her. She is nothing but an apostate or a turncoat right now. She passed the YEYE memo for an ulterior motive.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Johnnoo(m): 8:28pm On Feb 10, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Dont start jumping, not just yet.

It worth justing my dear, in a country that has been laddened with falsehood, mediocrity, cheating & stealing. . .
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sman1: 9:04pm On Feb 10, 2010
great news
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Dokki: 9:19pm On Feb 10, 2010
Ahem,
People, just what is an acting president and what is a vice president?
For one both of them are powerless as the president is still around.

There is a saying - you can fool some of the people all the time but you can fool all the people all the time!

So who is fooling who,

D
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Arewamotor: 9:33pm On Feb 10, 2010
I need someone to enlighten me if I am wrong. I think the Senators actually took us for a ride and carefully set a time bomb to help their ulterior motives (Don't  trust Nigerian politicians).
1. If Yaradua had stayed away for such long period without officially writing for that effect, I think constitutionally, they are suppose to begin a process of impeachment; or was it not the same hurdle Alamasegha tried to skip by all means for him to come back into Nigeria in a wrapper?
2. The constitution stated that the president must write a letter to the lawmakers if he is on vacation, I may not interpret constitution rightly, but I don't think the whole country should be blinded enough to replace a written document with a few seconds' controversial radio interview or has something changed about the Nigerian law that can make us to replace a sworn affidavit with an interview?
3. Since it is FEC that has the constitutional right to declare the governor incapacitated to hold his office, don't you think someone will come up very soon and go to court for all of Jonathan's actions to be nullified? Remember Shonekan's case?
3. Are they not carefully putting a rope in Jonathan's hand to commit a constitutional suicide and then turn back to lower him into the grave?
I'm not a lawyer but can someone just tell me that my thoughts are unconstitutional, then I will have to pay my lawyer for a day's lecture tomorrow  grin angry cool
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by nduchucks: 9:59pm On Feb 10, 2010
Arewamotor:

I need someone to enlighten me if I am wrong. I think the Senators actually took us for a ride and carefully set a time bomb to help their ulterior motives (Don't  trust Nigerian politicians).
1. If Yaradua had stayed away for such long period without officially writing for that effect, I think constitutionally, they are suppose to begin a process of impeachment; or was it not the same hurdle Alamasegha tried to skip by all means for him to come back into Nigeria in a wrapper?
2. The constitution stated that the president must write a letter to the lawmakers if he is on vacation, I may not interpret constitution rightly, but I don't think the whole country should be blinded enough to replace a written document with a few seconds' controversial radio interview or has something changed about the Nigerian law that can make us to replace a sworn affidavit with an interview?
3. Since it is FEC that has the constitutional right to declare the governor incapacitated to hold his office, don't you think someone will come up very soon and go to court for all of Jonathan's actions to be nullified? Remember Shonekan's case?
3. Are they not carefully putting a rope in Jonathan's hand to commit a constitutional suicide and then turn back to lower him into the grave?
I'm not a lawyer but can someone just tell me that my thoughts are unconstitutional, then I will have to pay my lawyer for a day's lecture tomorrow  grin angry cool

Jonathan appears to be quite smart and I hope he understands that he'll have to rigorously protect his interest if he is to survive.

I know many of his handlers read naija forums such as this and hope they will advice him to use his newfound power by forcing the FEC to do the right thing and declare Yar'Adua unfit for office, once and for all.

That bold step will endear him to Nigerians even further.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by samsoft00: 1:01am On Feb 11, 2010
, :::TESTIMONY::::,

"Wow! I will say thanks, at least, for a start. I've tried the survey site and even got linked to another, and I've made money, I earn $30 within 20min on the survey site, lol. At least, its a new experience and i wont 4get dat i made my first online money through this group. The new experience is the main point. Keep it up (and bigger!lol)"

CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO KNOW MORE
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 1:27am On Feb 11, 2010
I no want anyone called goodluck near me either as a friend, colleague, assistant, or lover. No way, that luck is damn crappy and so dangerous to the enviroment
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by vigasimple(m): 1:38am On Feb 11, 2010
Arewamotor:

I need someone to enlighten me if I am wrong. I think the Senators actually took us for a ride and carefully set a time bomb to help their ulterior motives (Don't trust Nigerian politicians).
I'm not a lawyer but can someone just tell me that my thoughts are unconstitutional, then I will have to pay my lawyer for a day's lecture tomorrow grin angry cool

You are spot on. There are just doing Abradacabra. What NASS have just done is a political solution but NOT a legal one. Did anyone remember when OBAMA was sworn in, and there was a mistake in the oath, it was re do by the Chief Justice of the Supreme court to avoid court litigation.

The law has not been followed properly, the supreme court of nigeria should have been petitioned to rule on this, and since FEC did not do a good job of following the right thing, and they actually shot down Akunyili's memo when that was her true opinion.

In a rare situation like this, we should have camera in the FEC chambers for every member to make a speech on how he/she came to the conclusion whether or not Yar A'dua is fit/unfit to be President, and what evidence is he/she relying on, then the truth will come out.

The solution we have is a PDP solution and not nigerians solution according to the constitution.

VOTE OUT PDP AND VOTE ANY OTHER PARTY OF YOUR CHOICE IN 2011, SEND THEM A MESSAGE THAT WE THE PEOPLE OWNS THE POWER.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by justcool(m): 2:51am On Feb 11, 2010
^^^^^^^
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think Yaradua is sick not on vacation. There is a difference between sickleave and vacation. You don't fire people for being sick, and you don't impeach a president for being sick. As long a he has a doctor's note comfirming that he is sick and cannot return to work at the moment, you cannot fire(sack) such an individual. He can be replaced temporary, but his position remains; and as soon as he recovers, he has every right to resume his position.

This I know is the way it is in America. The law protects sick people from losing their jobs based on their sickness. But I don't know about the Nigerian constitution, so I could be wrong.

I think what the Senate did by swearing Goodluck in as the acting president is the best thing and the most lawful thing to do when the president is incapacitated. He will resume his position when he recovers.

But like I said, I don't know the Nigerian Constitution well.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by princekevo(m): 7:36am On Feb 11, 2010
justcool:

^^^^^^^
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think Yaradua is sick not on vacation. There is a difference between sickleave and vacation. You don't fire people for being sick, and you don't impeach a president for being sick. As long a he has a doctor's note comfirming that he is sick and cannot return to work at the moment, you cannot fire(sack) such an individual. He can be replaced temporary, but his position remains; and as soon as he recovers, he has every right to resume his position.

This I know is the way it is in America. The law protects sick people from losing their jobs based on their sickness. But I don't know about the Nigerian constitution, so I could be wrong.

I think what the Senate did by swearing Goodluck in as the acting president is the best thing and the most lawful thing to do when the president is incapacitated. He will resume his position when he recovers.

But like I said, I don't know the Nigerian Constitution well.

Yes you are right. But the impeachment by the NAAS is not as result of his health situation, but his in ability to uphold the constitution he swore to the Federal republic of Nigeria. So Naas have the right to impeach him based on the fact that he refused to transmitt a letter to the Legistlatives for a temporary hand over b4 exiting the country for his health. As such created a power vaccume for almost 80days now.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 11, 2010
Hmmmm! I definitely smell a rat. PDP's 2011 campaign drive is about to kick start and there's a desperate need for fresh funds. How do we know this move is not just to give Jonathan the power to sign cheques to release votes from the treasury?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by mabell: 9:49am On Feb 11, 2010
safeact:

Make una no kill me with laughter! So d man was scared that his best man will eventually take over his wife from him! Goodluck don suffer 4 NLanders. But wait oh, why wouldnt Jonathan sack d stup.d AGF, Andoankaa rather than changing his post? Is that not an act of cowardise? Excuse me pass jare.
that's called strategizing
ANYWAY CONGRATULATIONS SIR! smiley
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 9:54am On Feb 11, 2010
@ Just Cool

Pls click on my attachment. It is a soft copy of the 1999 Nigerian Constitution. Pls pay particular attention to Sections 143 and 144. Those are the sections that deal with appointing and removing a President from office. After you have done that, run it by what this Senate has done and tell me if it is legal or not. smiley smiley smiley

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, what the Senate attempted to do is to find a POLITICAL solution to a CONSTITUTIONAL impasse. By so doing however, they have DELIBERATELY refused to plug legal loopholes that will in turn prove to be the achilles heel of Goodluck's presidency. What Jonathan is doing right now is like walking through a minefield blindfolded. It is only a matter of time before he steps on one of them and KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!! Like a poster mentioned earlier, a minor slip in the oath administered on Obama led to him having to take it all over again. That was because some crazy politician or citizen could ride on that singular slip to undermine his government in future.

Jonathan needs to get his loyalists in the executive council to move a motion pronouncing the President temporarily incapacitated, so that he can legitimize his government. Otherwise, the new AGF should prepare himself for the backlash of frivolous cases challenging the acting president's authority .
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 9:57am On Feb 11, 2010
Oops! My attachment was too large grin grin grin

Alright, click on the link below to access the constitution online:

http://www.chr.up.ac.za/indigenous/documents/Nigeria/Legislation/Constitution%20of%20Nigeria.pdf
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Utali(m): 10:24am On Feb 11, 2010
^
The Nigerian Constitution is hosted on a South African site lol
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Nizoral(f): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2010
Now i can sleep with my eyes closed.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 11:16am On Feb 11, 2010
Utali:

^
The Nigerian Constitution is hosted on a South African site lol

grin grin grin That is the story of our life. Foreign webhost, foreign coach, even foreign president gan sef!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by elbereth: 11:20am On Feb 11, 2010
i hope Jonathan has some very radical views to offer us.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by otondo55: 11:40am On Feb 11, 2010
Congratulations !!!!!

May God wisdom and knowledge be yours now and always.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by sley4life(m): 12:50pm On Feb 11, 2010
Full of luck
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by cosby(m): 1:02pm On Feb 11, 2010
In your own (best) interest, no matter the position you are offered in ANY organisation (Office, Church, Meeting/Club, Party Planning, Tenants’ Association, Activist, etc), if your Deputy is named "Goodluck”, PLEASE DECLINE, even if it is UN Secretary General or Head of African Union, whatever, JUST DECLINE!

Should you think I am joking, check these facts:

* Goodluck was Assistant Head Boy in primary school. The Head Boy got expelled. Goodluck took over.
* Goodluck was Assistant Senior Prefect in secondary school, the Senior Prefect died, Goodluck took over.
* Goodluck was Deputy Local Government Chairman. The Chairman got implicated in corruption and got removed from office. Goodluck took over
* Goodluck was deputy governor to Alameiseigha. We all know that story
* Goodluck was Vice President to President Yar’Adua:- PERICADIATIS!
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Joe50(m): 1:33pm On Feb 11, 2010
this is a new welcome development to nigerians, at least we shall move one or more steps forward than to remain stagnant.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by aimans: 2:15pm On Feb 11, 2010
@ Reptyle; There is no any attachment to your post doted @ Justcool. Pls, I also need it; softcopy of 1999 Constitution.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by chelseabmw(m): 2:58pm On Feb 11, 2010
hmmmmmmm, jonathan

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Atiku "Selected" As Northern Consensus Candidate / Court Will Decide El-zakzaky’s Fate, Presidency Tells Shiites / Gov. Ugwuanyi Joins Priests To Bid Late Fr. Offu Farewell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.