Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,833 members, 7,862,736 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 03:30 AM

Jonathan Is Now President - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is Now President (10665 Views)

Prof. Joy Ogwu Now President Of UN Security Council / Former President Jonathan’s Legacy Is Now President Muhammadu Buhari’s Burden / Breaking News, Turai Now President, Yaradua Her ADC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Is Now President by hackney(m): 10:19am On Feb 10, 2010
So finally the remote rulership via blackberry is over.
It's good news though i  think that nothing still changes for the common man
irrespective of who is sat there in Aso rock.

The big picture is that Nigeria is a mess.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by juliesanto(f): 10:25am On Feb 10, 2010
My fellow Nairalanders, lets try as much as we can to vote PDP out in the next coming election. please we should not sale out votes.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by FBS: 10:25am On Feb 10, 2010
For how long will they play this game?

I stand to be corrected but does this mean that we have 2 presidents?
Does it mean that it is status quo once, if and when Yaradua get back?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by wirinet(m): 10:38am On Feb 10, 2010
juliesanto:

My fellow Nairalanders, lets try as much as we can to vote PDP out in the next coming election. please we should not sale out votes.

My sister you cannot vote out PDP without a revolution, They are still perfecting their rigging machinery, the Anambra Elections (and Ekiti) was a test run. They allocate some states to the opposition so as not to make the whole thing look like a one party system. They will probably allocate 2 states in the east, 2 states in the west, maybe 1 state in the South-South and maybe three or four states in the north and that will be the extent of their generosity. They are sure of sweeping the National polls, that is why the legislators and Governors do not care what the electorate think of them, as long as they are in the good books of the PDP executive officers.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by kemisuga(f): 10:42am On Feb 10, 2010
Well, lets wait and see what changes he can make,
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Virgo83(m): 10:46am On Feb 10, 2010
kemisuga:

Well, lets wait and see what changes he can make,
You speaks my mind: I won't be of Judge now. I'll wait and see what changes he'll make.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Bavarian: 10:47am On Feb 10, 2010
Great news smiley
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Bavarian: 10:49am On Feb 10, 2010
Great news smiley
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Donmeca(m): 10:51am On Feb 10, 2010
So we now take the fake BBC interview as equivalent to the transmission of sick/vacation letter to the NASS by YarÁdua? Nigeria won't stop being funny! we are making our nation laughable in the commity of nations. The NASS should step up impeachment procedures against the President violation of the constitution. The PDP power sharing arrangement should not supercede the nation's sovereignty.

Meanwhile, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan should not see his presidency (or is it acting?) as a manifestation of his name,GOODLUCK. He should muster enough courage to immediately dissolve the present cabinet, or atleast, sack Aondoakaa, Maduekwe and other two-faced ministers.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by master2(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2010
@mikeansy
well thought. I like ur list of appointees.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by udennaa: 11:04am On Feb 10, 2010
Good a thing Goodluck has finally been sworn in,nature abhors vaccum,but i personally expect nothing more from him than yar'adua.its a case of another dummy replacing a dummy.with people deceiving party still in power,looting continues.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by skynylaw: 11:05am On Feb 10, 2010
Goodluck J adresses the Nation just an hour ago,
He is now comfirmed the acting presdo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8507289.stm

thank God.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Vavavoom(m): 11:17am On Feb 10, 2010
, and the cahrade continues<folds hands like Omoba>
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by FBS: 11:23am On Feb 10, 2010
David Mark is an id.iot. The guy is a mofo. So I can go on BBC/CNN and say I'm the president of Nigeria and that makes it legal, constitutional and true? undecided
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by 2tait: 11:29am On Feb 10, 2010
Jonathan is Acting President not President.

He does not require an Acting Vice President.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Pataki: 11:35am On Feb 10, 2010
At least we have a good looking man as the leader for a nation. Not the worwor face that keeps tormenting our little children on national television screens.

@ topic,

The game has just started. Now I understand why Dora was so vociferous about appointing Goodluck as the acting President.

I sense bloodsheds in the days ahead. Power hungry people will do anything to remain in power. May God help Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Donmeca(m): 11:38am On Feb 10, 2010
Pls people, may I know what qualifies people for the NASS? FSLC, SSCE, OND, HND, BSc, MSc, or Phd? I want to know the average qulification of our NASS members. The current happenings tells me that these people cram the constitution without understanding. I think I can do better than most of these guys. Mayb I shd contest in 2011, but in which party? Our party system is useless and there is no provision for independent candidature in electoral act. Chai!
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by oge4real(f): 11:40am On Feb 10, 2010
Now the courtrooms and lawyers will become more busy than ever challenging this decision. The senate should have outrightly impeached Yaradua before reppalcing him wt Goodluck.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by wirinet(m): 11:43am On Feb 10, 2010
2tait:

Jonathan is Acting President not President.

He does not require an Acting Vice President.

Please can you explain it to me the constitutional process of a vice becoming an acting president and if it requires a proclamation/resolution/vote (by ayes and nays) from the National Assembly?

After you help me out with that, can you explain if Jonathan would be acting president indefinitely as the said broadcast did not specify how long the president would be away from office.

So are you telling me that the post of the Vice president should be vacant until the end of this tenure (assuming Yaradua is unable to recover)
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by RSA(m): 11:50am On Feb 10, 2010
Did Yadua finally die? shocked shocked
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Ojumiii(m): 11:51am On Feb 10, 2010
from a blind man to another blind man, Bunch of visionless larders
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by oderemo(m): 11:55am On Feb 10, 2010
My sister you cannot vote out PDP without a revolution, They are still perfecting their rigging machinery, the Anambra Elections (and Ekiti) was a test run. They allocate some states to the opposition so as not to make the whole thing look like a one party system. They will probably allocate 2 states in the east, 2 states in the west, maybe 1 state in the South-South and maybe three or four states in the north and that will be the extent of their generosity. They are sure of sweeping the National polls, that is why the legislators and Governors do not care what the electorate think of them, as long as they are in the good books of the PDP executive officers.  [quote][/quote]

where on earth did you get this kind of political table tennis from, as if Nigeria  and her ppl are nothing but a game of ludo. our future is in our hand . pdp was bent on taking Lagos state during last election with koro but look at what happened.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Ben13: 11:56am On Feb 10, 2010
RSA:

Did Yadua finally die? shocked shocked

It's only a dead man that will keep mute for 79 days.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by wirinet(m): 12:06pm On Feb 10, 2010
ode remo:

where on earth did you get this kind of political table tennis from, as if Nigeria  and her ppl are nothing but a game of ludo. our future is in our hand . pdp was bent on taking Lagos state during last election with koro but look at what happened.

If you are old enough you will realize that the Political elites of Nigeria sees Nigeria as a Game of Ludo since after independence, since the average Nigerian refuses to take his destiny into his own hands and decides to leave it in the hands of the politician, the traditional ruler and the religious leaders.

PDP deliberately left Lagos because Lagos is the commercial centre and holds a very strategic position in Nigeria. Apart from the fact that a massively rigged election would be very obvious as almost all the media resides there including international media.
A highly flawed election in Lagos alone would render the entire election flawed in the eyes of the international community.

Why was is so easy for PDP to rig in Oyo state, even though the people did not want Adedibu and Alao Akala?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by simplejide(m): 12:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
Who God has blessed, no man can curse.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 12:25pm On Feb 10, 2010
This is just another delay tactic and I am afraid that Jonathan is in on this charade this time. If he wasn't, he would not have accepted this lame offer by the senate. The constitution prescribes TWO clear ways by which the VP can become an acting president. The first option is for the President to forward a letter to the Senate president stating that he is handing over power to the vice-president for whatever reason. He failed to do that.

The second option is one that is designed to take care of the peculiar situation we find ourselves in Nigeria where the president has absconded from his duty post and is manifestly UNABLE to send a letter to the Senate. The onus in this case lies on the FEC who by a resolution of at least two-thirds of its membership, are supposed to declare the President incapable of discharging his duties and convey such to the Senate president. The senate president and Speaker of the House are then supposed to set up a medical board of five eminently qualified medical personnel including the president's personal physician to investigate and report back to them. It is based on this feedback that the Senate can do what they have done now. As it is now, the Senate has inadvertently over reached itself and created yet another fertile ground for freak court cases that will further worsen the logjam we are in now.

The Senate should have invoked its powers as enshrined in Section 143 of the 1999 constitution and commenced IMPEACHMENT proceedings against the president. In my opinion, Yaradua fits the bill for impeachment because of acts of "gross misconduct" as described by Section 143, Sub-section 11 of the 1999 constitution, by his singular act of absconding from his duty post for 78 days without informing the senate.

I know this charade will end some day soon. God bless Nigeria!!!

http://www.chr.up.ac.za/indigenous/documents/Nigeria/Legislation/Constitution%20of%20Nigeria.pdf
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by agitator: 12:32pm On Feb 10, 2010
mikeansy:

If Jonathan has a sense of the world around him, he must do a few things in other to be in control. He must make sure he is not a lame duck President even though he has to run the country for only 18 Months then so be it.

1. Replace AGF Aondoaka with Odein Ajumogbia SAN quickly (Aondoakaa has misdirected the Nation enough)

2. Replace NSA Sarki Mukhtar with Gen. Muhamed Abdulahi (Former Chief of Staff to Presidency) or Gen Andrew Owoye Azazi (former Defence Chief, thats if he is interested). Sarki Mukhtar has been busy with unholy activities lately.

3. Ojo Maduekwe to be replaced by Donald Duke

4. Bring El-Rufai into the cabinet if you can probably as Energy Minister to drive home the IPP project.

5. FCT Minister Adamu Aliero should also be shown the way and probably replaced with someone like Adamu Muazu

6. Abba Ruma can remain as Agricultural Minister but he must be badly relegated in the scheme of things.

Yayale Ahmed for VP

how do you expect somebody who is acting to sack people appointed by his boss who is still recognized.  It's not like the seat is vacant and he is just occupying it for the meantime pending when a new person will be appointed or he is confirmed as is applicable in the civil service.  What do you think will happen to the VP if eventually the AWOL presido returns.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 12:51pm On Feb 10, 2010
^^^^By law, he is actually empowered to do and undo as an "acting president" he exercises FULL executive powers and can decide to suspend or sack the present cabinet and appoint a new set of people. When the substantive president returns, he can decide to reverse all decisions taken by his deputy while he was acting as President. Jonathan has, however, displayed some "lily-liveredness" so I doubt if he will be willing to rock the boat that badly.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Dede1(m): 1:01pm On Feb 10, 2010
wirinet :

The president has committed so many impeachable offenses that you would need volumes to state them. The principal ones are negligence of duty, failing to receive foreign ambassadors who have been posted to Nigeria, appointment of INEC commissioners so that they can form a quorum, fulfilling our international obligations, chairing of so many committees, like the weekly National security briefings.

He could be impeached for Negligence of duty (gross misconduct), except you are telling me a Governor or a president can just disappear and reappear 6 months later, without any information about his whereabouts and continue from where he left.

Good a thing that I am not due in Nigeria for long time to come. Few Nairaland intellectuals have informed the general public that being sick, health-wise, is a culpable offence in Nigeria and would attract impeachment machination if the person is the country’s President.

I could longer wander why many sick Nigerian are rudely killed in the institutions meant to save lives and cure of people of their ailments. What a cesspit that passes as a country.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by SamMilla1(m): 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2010
sorry if this is already here but who is our vice president now ?
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by Reptyle(m): 1:26pm On Feb 10, 2010
Dede1:

Good a thing that I am not due in Nigeria for long time to come. Few Nairaland intellectuals have informed the general public that being sick, health-wise, is a culpable offence in Nigeria and would attract impeachment machination if the person is the country’s President.

I could longer wander why many sick Nigerian are rudely killed in the institutions meant to save lives and cure of people of their ailments. What a cesspit that passes as a country.

I take it that you are not based in Nigeria going by your post. Now I don't know where you are based but I take it that going by your post, you do not agree that absconding from your duty post without following due procedure to ensure that the job you are entrusted with does not suffer, is very ok, provided you are sick Strange conclusion if you ask me.

Is that how it works in the country where you are based? Is that how it obtains in your place of work, that you can just up and leave your duty post for days without informing your employers and perhaps handing over your duties to a relief person? Perhaps you are a student and you decide to play truant for a semester or a session without informing the authorities; What do you think would happen to your scholarship in that school?

For your information, no one has called for Yaradua's sack because he is sick, but because HIS SICKNESS HAS RENDERED HIM INCAPABLE OF PERFORMING HIS DUTIES AS PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has refused to speak to Nigerians who "elected" him and refused to at least temporarily hand over power to his deputy until he is physically able to withstand the rigors of the presidential office once again. If you are employed to do a job and you find along the line that due to one reason or the other, that you are unable to discharge your duties, the honourable thing to do is to resign. if you do not resign, it is only a matter of time before your employer notices your incompetence and force you out of that position!!!

Falling sick does not constitute "gross misconduct" as explained by the constitution. Thus ill-health is not a ground for impeachment, until it starts to impact negatively on your work as it is currently doing to Yaradua.
Re: Jonathan Is Now President by nactech: 1:27pm On Feb 10, 2010
woo, the lord is good. i know he will liberate Nigerians from the hands of these bureaucrats/hawks. Well, its only God that sees the heart of a man. For me, Yardua meant well for Nigeria but unfortunately his ill health turned him totally incapacitated. Lets keep on praying for him even though he may not be able to return to power but for God to grant him longer life to see the evidence of what he started. Yardua is obviously without being biased a statesman

For Obs, those who insult him are ignorant, at least He has taking some bold steps to announce openly on press that Yardua should handover power if his finds out that his ill health beyond him. Well, a lot will say its his game plan but who was innocent and a saint among all the contestants at that period. If not for yarduar ill health i would have bet anyone that HE OBS made the right choice for Nigerians. PLsssss ooh its my personal opinion,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy / EndSARS: Lagos To Release 253 People Arrested In Connection To Lagos Protests / Lagos Red Line, Opebi Link Bridge, 15 Jetties To Ease Traffic In 2024 - Omotoso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.