Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? (39527 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Medical Practitioners In America / Italy And France Now Prescribing Hydroxychloroquine For Coronavirus / Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Snake As Their Symbol/logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by VickyRotex(f): 6:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
lulufaj:

not true. Some of us have good handwriting. its about how your handwriting will be after working several hours.

Some? Pishure or lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by sgtponzihater1(m): 6:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
Jman06:
Depends on the type of drug you wanted to buy. If the drug is a controlled drug e.g diazepam and the likes that are used to commit crime,the pharmacist will insist on a stamped doctor's prescription in order to save his assz in the event where the drug caused the death of the patient or is used to commit crime such as rape, murder etc. Remember Cynthia Osokogu, the facebook girl that was drugged and raped to death by some guys, the pharmacist that dispensed the drug is still in prison.

So, the pharmacists are always careful so that when such cases arise, the doctors will be held instead.

Are u serious dat d pharmacist is still in jail?, never knew that. Thanks.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by kuuljay(m): 6:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
Some quack pharmacists kill people with wrong drugs because of this

Something needs to be done

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by VickyRotex(f): 6:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
NkayTiana:
I know one and he's as cute af
Yinmu grin Pishure of the handwriting or Adonbelivit undecided
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Jman06(m): 6:35pm On Aug 09, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Are u serious dat d pharmacist is still in jail?, never knew that. Thanks.
Yeah. You're welcome
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Notatribalist(m): 6:56pm On Aug 09, 2017
rawpadgin:
I think they don't want u to understand the drugs they prescribed to avoid self medication next time u are sick
but you can also know the medication from the inscriptions on the sachet.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Spidermon: 7:00pm On Aug 09, 2017
Eazybay:
Please the kind of comments we drop esp on issues we know nothing about is mind boggling.

Let me also inform you that it is your RIGHT to know whatever medication a practitioner recommends for you.

As for the writing style, if you look closely you must have realized drugs have both generic and trade names. A Lotta the stuff you see on your prescription paper is a scribbled abbreviation of the generic name and the dose. It is actually scribbled due to time constraint and because the pharmacist is sure to understand. Even roadside chemists understand the writing so I don't see why a Lotta peeps are acting confused.

Funny enough many doctors have fine handwriting. Just ask for their notes before you conclude.

As for me, I write two letters and draw a line, if you want to know the drug name then ASK! grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by yulaw1: 7:02pm On Aug 09, 2017
derespect:
Why is it that medical practitioners use crazy writing when prescribing drugs for patients. It always bothers me and funny enough, even quack nurses and doctors will read and understand it? But why?

they do that so the the patient wont go and use the drug on their own without the doctors description in case such the kind of sickness afflict them..
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by CHAIRMANMAO(m): 7:07pm On Aug 09, 2017
it is simple, they're just trying to prevent self medication The more you try to decifer the writing, the less you see.....
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 09, 2017
vincentjk:
I wish they stop using this writings

Because we hardly understand it

Especially after eating ewedu soup or watery beans grin

I beg stop this your talk o.

Son of Man feeds him family based on these poor writings grin
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Michael2017: 7:18pm On Aug 09, 2017
Its mostly shorthand.
Some just have really bad handwriting.
wink
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by muller101(m): 7:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
sukkot:
after 18 hour shift i will like to see what your writing looks like
is it that they write through our the 18 hours non stop?
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by rawpadgin(m): 7:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
Notatribalist:
but you can also know the medication from the inscriptions on the sachet.
what about the drugs that comes in this packet?

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Willybos(m): 7:52pm On Aug 09, 2017
grandlexuz:

Two people on this article with insight to the medical profession have given correct answers and yet received no likes. Those with funny answers get tonnes of likes.. How ignorant can we Africans be! Dumb and unfounded answers like it is a full term course in med school is pitiful. Med school students are faced with lots of lectures and notes copying, at such have got to script things through in haste. Even those with good hand writings have got little options. After med school they are faced with queues especially in Africa. For some scripting in the chicken language is a way of sailing through a busy day. I know of many doctors who write down prescriptions and diagnosis in clean and explicit writings. I personally will never drink any medication until I google it! So whats this stupid talk about doctors not wanting you to self prescribe..The medications you buy do they also have chicken writings on the casing..?
10Q ma broda... I event lack what to tell them. May God bless u!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by suremanpatriot: 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2017
...to prevent patients from self medications,simplified.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by oyemomilara: 8:10pm On Aug 09, 2017
ExInferis:
Because they're lazy.

Doctors are lazy? I don't get
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by suremanpatriot: 8:17pm On Aug 09, 2017
oyemomilara:

lazy?
It takes 6years of losing sleep studying medicine with Laborious work from the university to hospitals,youth service and then residency ,just to become a doctor. Yet u both use the word lazy. Truly we take it that you don't really know the right word to use here.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by tosyne2much(m): 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
Most doctors usually write illegibly

Funmisticqueen how market nah? cheesy
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by 1bunne4lif(m): 8:30pm On Aug 09, 2017
That is the way it is, I'm a victim. A person not in the field will not understand to avoid wrong medication. A pharmacist understands better.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by onyemarcus: 8:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
because they are not good in spelling
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by omerta07(m): 8:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
The second job i had after school was Admin Officer/PA to a hospital medical director who was also a prof. Believe me, i spent over 2 months "learning" how to read my Oga's memo.
Although i later became an expert translator helping even his colleagues understand his writings.
I still know a couple of Medical guys who have very legible hand writings though.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by femi4: 9:02pm On Aug 09, 2017
TINALETC3:
grin I dnt no ooooo, am nt one of dem bt it's like dey hv dis mentality dat it wl make dia patients see dem as very intelligent and serious minded ppl
I mayb wrong tho cool
To avoid self medication
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by lulufaj(m): 9:04pm On Aug 09, 2017
Badgers14:

The commenter was within his/her right to offer there opinion. Stop flaunting your single figure IQ in a bid to sound intelligent.

Doctors should have a legible handwriting. In the western world that is the way it is done. In the U.S, at your request the doctor can even type it and print it out for you.

Patients right: patients have the absolute right to knkw what medication is about to go in their body. It is there life and not the doctor's.

I wont insult you but youu have to stop displaying ignorance and stop saying what you know nothing about. As a UK registered doc I know having a legible handwriting is no condition for registration.

patients have the right to know which drug they're taking all over the world, Nigeria is no exception. I worked in Nigeria and let my patients know what they're taking.

suggesting Nigerian doctors are incompetent like the foolish fellow did when many of us are doing great is what I found annoying hence my response.

I shouldn't have replied you either as you seem to belong to his league, but for the false info you gave. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by ability19: 9:08pm On Aug 09, 2017
Nice thread. But the truth must be clearly stated some medical personnel have bad hand writing naturally its nt because they are doctors or paramedics or even nurses. Am a medical personnel. I have good writing. Нσω will u then categories all doctors or medical personnel's as persons with bad hand writing or they do it on purpose. Ethically abroad. You do nt spell. Or write. Anything which isn't clear. To others to read it must be readable and correct but here in nigeria they just over look everything.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Shantyken(m): 9:11pm On Aug 09, 2017
engineers do read those handwriting well
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Mcreloaded(m): 9:16pm On Aug 09, 2017
If u mist know most Cou tries in Europe have banned the writing of illegible writings by doctors
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by tonymarkz(m): 9:19pm On Aug 09, 2017
rawpadgin:
I think they don't want u to understand the drugs they prescribed to avoid self medication next time u are sick

could possibly be
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Vutseck(m): 9:20pm On Aug 09, 2017
Tolubory:

Its between the Doctor and the pharmacist So that you can not go and buy the drugs later for usage on your own

So after buying the drugs... what happens to the name written on it

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by ExInferis(m): 9:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
oyemomilara:

Duh!

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
Funny post.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by mosco4real(m): 10:02pm On Aug 09, 2017
I wonder o, that's how a Doctor prescribed drugs for me and after nurse told me that my money is 8000 naira when I look at my file I can't find where 8000 naira was written I only saw something written in alphabetically form.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Emekus999(m): 10:14pm On Aug 09, 2017
it shows our profesionality,it saves time and space...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hidden Causes Of Kidney Failure / My Friend's Sister's Hand Has Strange Bacteria Infection (Photos) / Detox Foods You Should Start Eating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.