Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? (39528 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Medical Practitioners In America / Italy And France Now Prescribing Hydroxychloroquine For Coronavirus / Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Snake As Their Symbol/logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BlairsinZigi(f): 10:25pm On Aug 09, 2017
Actually, it wasn't meant for you to understand what was written in the first place. That's y the doctor tells you to give it to a chemist/pharmacist. They understand what's written and its to prevent self medication.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Badgers14: 11:23pm On Aug 09, 2017
lulufaj:

I wont insult you but youu have to stop displaying ignorance and stop saying what you know nothing about. As a UK registered doc I know having a legible handwriting is no condition for registration.

patients have the right to know which drug they're taking all over the world, Nigeria is no exception. I worked in Nigeria and let my patients know what they're taking.

suggesting Nigerian doctors are incompetent like the foolish fellow did when many of us are doing great is what I found annoying hence my response.

I shouldn't have replied you either as you seem to belong to his league, but for the false info you gave. Thank you.

Ha, While I doubt your competence as a Medic. I must applaud your bold effort to ridicule your little intelligence in a public forum.

Next time you want or feel compelled to argue on a topic.. Make sure you stay within the confines of the topic.

The topic here is, some Nigerian doctors and their illegible handwriting while prescribing medications. The previous fellow aired his opinion and stated in Australia Doctors do write legible when prescribing prescription and listen to this, I concured and joined him in admonishing Nigerian doctors for participating in such egoistic rubbish attitude. And here you are taking it personal.

I don't know you and I don't care to, but the situation here is not about you so don't even try to steal the spot light.. The situation here is about improving health care in Nigeria. Doctor's are putting people's life at risk by writing illegibly and using abbreviations... Who does that?

If you still have mb, look up the Nigerian doctor in Arizona that got his medical license revoked because of this handwriting issue.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
Its a medical terminology that you are not made to understand
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by benoly(m): 11:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
It's not entirely the faults of most of us.
A good number of us had good handwritings before they enter school and even upto second year and 3rd year.
But as u go higher, the approach of lectures and their mode of lecturing changes drastically. Because of the bulkiness of the curriculum and d need to always brace up, students tries to write very very fast. and imagine when you write with much speed on every lecture for more 3-4yrs ahead, your handwriting must change.
Most lecturers don't call notes for u, u just have to be ready and fast enough to write whatever they vomit.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BAILMONEY: 11:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
Sweetmom:
It all started in the year 43 AD when the Hippocratic Oath that all physicians must take was written in poor handwriting by Hippocrates of Kos the father of medicine, doctors have adopted the tradition of using poor handwriting as a way of honoring Hippocrates similar to the way Americans say "Please help us out and put your John Hancock on our petition.” The expression which refers to the bold signature that one of the American founding fathers John Hancock wrote on the Declaration of Independence.

Below is the earliest surviving copy of the Hippocratic Oath

PS; If you have read everything I wrote please note that is all an elaborate lie smiley
YOU MUST BE VERY GOOD IN MEDICAL ETHICS...WE CALL IT BIO ETHICS IN PHILOSOPHY
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Abudu2000(m): 11:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
madridguy:
Very bad of them.
grin this one weak me
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BAILMONEY: 11:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
DONADAMS:
lmao!!mad people on here
SHATAP SHES RIGHT
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 10, 2017
I wonder why....
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by intricate(m): 1:43am On Aug 10, 2017
rawpadgin:
I think they don't want u to understand the drugs they prescribed to avoid self medication next time u are sick
that is not logical, won't I still take home the drugs with its pack et al
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by sylvar02(m): 1:44am On Aug 10, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
lol

They don't want to be implicated incase you die!!

They will be like... "You drank the wrong prescription" cheesy

Meanwhile... "Apply for this IIHT ICT Scholarship if you are in Lagos" By Clicking here
form no longer accepting responses
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by rawpadgin(m): 7:04am On Aug 10, 2017
intricate:
that is not logical, won't I still take home the drugs with its pack et al

oh after u finish taken the drugs & thankfully u are no longer sick, u will now have to keep the packs of in ur locker in case u fall ill next time
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by OTTAB: 7:25am On Aug 10, 2017
There are two things contributing to reasons why the writing appear unclear to general populace
1) They dont understand what is being writting because they are mostly medical jergons (terminologist). It is just like an accounting student who take a chemistry book, he can hardly understand anything even though it is typed clearly. So it is not how clear it is, it is whether you understand what is writting no matter how clear it may be, if you dont undertsand the content, how would you understand the neaning. For example who can tell me the meaning of this
Intravenous Antitetanus Serum stat or Intradermal perfloxacin nocte
It is not because of the nature the writing, it is because of the nature of the content more often.
2) It is normal that most people handwrting get distorted while writting fast. This is true for doctors too. Even those with good handwritting among them get their writting distorted while prescribing for severe patients withing short period of time. Sometims their handwritting can actualy be poor, but it is mostly due to the speed of writting.
NB: Part of ethical principle of priscription is that it should be writting clearly.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BrainyHUBB(m): 7:50am On Aug 10, 2017
I was in medical school for a bit.....the reason is because medical students write continuously in lectures as 90 percent of the lectures are dictated so you have to write very fast and in shorthand to really get enough details..over the years it affects your handwriting..........
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 8:05am On Aug 10, 2017
sylvar02:
form no longer accepting responses

Are you in Lagos?
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Kdamilola(m): 8:49am On Aug 10, 2017
Yyeske:
That's how we love to write

Lol... Why d familiarity nah?! grin
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Kdamilola(m): 8:52am On Aug 10, 2017
OTTAB:
There are two things contributing to reasons why the writing appear unclear to general populace
1) They dont understand whatbis being because they are mistly medical jergons (terminologist). It is just like an accounting student who take a chemistry book, he can hardly understand anything even though it is typed clearly. So it is not how clear it is, it is whether you understand what is writting no natter hiw ckear it is. for example who can tell me the meaning if this
Intravenous Antitetanus Serum stat or Intradermal perfloxacin nocte
It is not because if the nature the writing it is because if the nature of the content more often.
2) It is normal that most people handwrting get distorted while writting fast. This is true for doctors too. If thise with goid handwritting among them get their writting distorted while prescribing for severe patients withing short peruod if time. Some the writting can actualy be poor, but it is purely due to the speed of wrutting.
NB: Part of ethical principle of priscription is that it should be writting clearly.

Although what you stated might not be the reasons, but I give it to you, YOU ARE BRIGHT! Well articulated!!
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by RillJ(m): 9:11am On Aug 10, 2017
A deliberate effort to 'mystify' the profession. For the initiates alone.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by sylvar02(m): 10:08am On Aug 10, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

Are you in Lagos?
Yes! Ajah but M always free
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by c064647491: 10:18am On Aug 10, 2017
It's just a pity that an avg Nigerian always sees he worst part of everything. People work 9-4 and grumble at the workload, while some others work 18 hours or more and are insulted for their writing.
If you want to know what the drugs are,simply ask!
They grumble that coming to the hospital wastes time, they then complain that the writing is not "fine" enough.
As if writing solves medical issues.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:32am On Aug 10, 2017
sylvar02:
Yes! Ajah but M always free

just post a contact. I will call you now.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by olowobaba10: 11:09am On Aug 10, 2017
RUBBISH, THAT'S WHY MOST NURSES GIVE WRONG DRUGS TO PATIENTS, MOREOVER, IT'S ONLY IN NIGERIA .
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by sylvar02(m): 2:04pm On Aug 10, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

just post a contact. I will call you now.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 2:16pm On Aug 10, 2017
sylvar02:

I had to edit your number.

Based on request. Here is the link to get registered

Just click here
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by DoctorsOfficeNg: 3:48pm On Aug 10, 2017
derespect:
Why is it that medical practitioners use crazy writing when prescribing drugs for patients. It always bothers me and funny enough, even quack nurses and doctors will read and understand it? But why?

Trust me, Its not intentional... During medical trainings back at school, the dictations were fast and time was of the essence so one must cope to meet up so as not to miss out any vital information.

b]HEALTH SERVICE REMINDER[/b] : You can Chat or call freely and anonymously our certified doctors should you need share an issue 24/7.
Kindly visit: https://doctorsoffice.ng/talk-to-a-doctor
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by ollaxworld: 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2017
Niftyrules:

No, it is because they want to keep the prescription away from the knowledge of none Medical professionals
But then, read my [url]blog here[/url]www.niftyreview.

well, I would do my research to know the reason.
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by oyemomilara: 6:26am On Aug 13, 2017
suremanpatriot:

lazy?
It takes 6years of losing sleep studying medicine with Laborious work from the university to hospitals,youth service and then residency ,just to become a doctor. Yet u both use the word lazy. Truly we take it that you don't really know the right word to use here.

Mr. man or is it Mrs. Woman, did you see the question mark in my post at all? undecided
suremanpatriot:

lazy?
It takes 6years of losing sleep studying medicine with Laborious work from the university to hospitals,youth service and then residency ,just to become a doctor. Yet u both use the word lazy. Truly we take it that you don't really know the right word to use here.

Mr. man or is it Mrs. Woman, did you see the question mark in my post at all? �
Re: Why Do Medical Practitioners Use Crazy Writing When Prescribing Drugs? by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 13, 2017
DoctorsOfficeNg:

Trust me, Its not intentional... During medical trainings back at school, the dictations were fast and time was of the essence so one must cope to meet up so as not to miss out any vital information.

b]HEALTH SERVICE REMINDER[/b] : You can Chat or call freely and anonymously our certified doctors should you need share an issue 24/7.
Kindly visit: https://doctorsoffice.ng/talk-to-a-doctor
Many thanks for this info you just provided now.
I appreciate

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hidden Causes Of Kidney Failure / My Friend's Sister's Hand Has Strange Bacteria Infection (Photos) / Detox Foods You Should Start Eating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.