Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. (1714 Views)

Should Virginity Be A Criteria In Choosing A Wife? / What's The Factor That's Kept Your Relationship Or Marriage Till Today. / Should Religion Be A Barrier For Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by funkelola(f): 6:06pm On Feb 11, 2007
IT HAS BEEN OBSERVED THAT RELIGION HAS BEEN POSING A GREAT PROBLEM WHEN IT COMES TO RELATIONSHIP.
SOME PARENTS ARE AGAINST MUSLIM SON OR DAUGHTER GETTING MARRIED TO A CHRISTIAAN AND CHRISTAIN AGAINST MUSLIM THE OTHER WAY ROUND,SHOULD IT BE SO.EVEN WHEN THE BOTH SINCERELY LUV EACH OTHER.
AFTERALL,WE ARE PRACTISING WHAT WE ARE BEING BORN INTO.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by PTBNaija(f): 11:20pm On Feb 11, 2007
No, it should not be a criteria, but it needs be taken into consideration. Especially if two people are getting married, it's very important. If both people are in agreement to raise the children under a certain religion, then that's great move on. But from what I've heard (here in the US, don't know too much about Naija) but like, it's a really big issue. You really need to discuss where you will worship, whether it be together or separate, and then what will happen when you have children. But if you've discussed that, then everyone can be nice and happy lol. grin cheesy
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Busta(f): 11:25pm On Feb 11, 2007
Yes and No.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by jgirl3: 2:19am On Feb 12, 2007
Yes it should. It ends up causing problems unconsciously
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by ima1(f): 4:53am On Feb 12, 2007
yeah i think it should matter alot because you and your partner have gotta be on the same page spiritually, doesn't matter how you plan to get along and raise your kids based on one religion, problems always arises. Now i wouldn't marry someone that doesn't share the same faith with me because i want a well grounded family, and i want my kids to be brought up based on one religion, not having them confused and questioning which one is true.

But here is a problem, what if he is Jehovah Witness, and you don't believe in their doctrine or whatever they preach, how would this play out. Would you compromise.

i know i would not, i stand by my religion christianity.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by austinJ(m): 8:32am On Feb 12, 2007
I guess it should be a criteria because it causes problem in the long run.When the couples cannot seem to egree whyat religion the childre should practise.Well am a liberal person when it comes to religion but when the girl seems to be so much inclined to her religion and its different from mine ,I give it a thot not to go on.But it is better to share the same religion because the family is better focused.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by jiddah: 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2007
religion should not only be a criteria but a serious factor to consider.marrying out of your believe bearing children and making them choose which religion they want to follow is utter rubbish,becauseit means u don't even take your religion as a guiding principle in life.
any one way wan marry make im marry from im own religion to less kata kata
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by iice(f): 4:24pm On Feb 13, 2007
Busta:

Yes and No.

Word!
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by typical: 4:28pm On Feb 13, 2007
Religion has to be considered because the differences may eventually tear the family apart.

same goes for other things like culture and beliefs. Differences in beliefs are liable to cause problems in a marriages
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by afeez123: 4:52pm On Feb 13, 2007
Religion should not be the main criteria for marriage cos u guys can actually be of the same religion or even be born again without love existing the both of u.with love,u can surpass any hurdle.When there is love in a home then you can pass through any hurdle together and also with the grace of God.I do not see religion as a barrier.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by JustGood(m): 8:18pm On Feb 13, 2007
you should ask someone who's been married for several years or ask a divorced man/woman
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Orikinla(m): 2:37pm On Feb 15, 2007
The two cannot live together in love, peace and unity, except they agree.

What matters most is not your religion, but honesty and transparency.

The greatest religion is saying the truth.
Because, where there is no truth, there will be no faith
And where there is no faith, there will be no trust
And where there is not trust, the relationship will not last.

My numero uno is a Taoist and yet she joins me in my Christian prayers.
We don't argue about religion, because our love is our greatest faith.

If your families are enlightened, they should reason with you.
What matters most in marriage is your security.
Are you secured in the relationship?
Won't your partner bully and intimidate you?
Can both of you live and work together happily?

Love conquers all.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by mrpataki(m): 3:05pm On Feb 15, 2007
Yes it should be. Even if the couples share the same view, family menbers respectively will not.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by NiteAngel(m): 1:02am On Feb 22, 2007
religion does matter except it will never be discussed in your home. How would you feel if your wife insists your children attend the yearly ogun festival because she's an ogun worshipper undecided
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Honeyboy09(m): 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2009
@Nite Angel -Religion does not matter @ all and no one forced you to marry a woman that worships Ogun if u don't believe in Ogun yourself you wont marry a woman that worships Ogun , and about a Christian Marrying a Muslim it does not sound like a problem 2 me because i'm a Christain and i believe we worship d same God ,
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Igwe9(m): 5:33pm On Apr 30, 2009
yeah, it depends on the readiness of one to forgo his/her religion cos of the other.
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Honeyboy09(m): 5:41pm On Apr 30, 2009
Nah no 1 needs to forgone his/her own religion , if it's in the case of Christain and Muslim i can marry a muslim woman and she can say her prayers anything she wants to and i'll say my own prayers whenever i want to , We could both travel to Mecca and she could some with me to Jerusalem,
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Pittbaby(f): 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2009
Honeyboy09:

Nah no 1 needs to forgone his/her own religion , if it's in the case of Christain and Muslim i can marry a muslim woman and she can say her prayers anything she wants to and i'll say my own prayers whenever i want to , We could both travel to Mecca and she could some with me to Jerusalem,

people grow spiritually where you are now is not where you will be tommorrow . Case in point, friend of mine that the mum is a sista in deeper life ministry and father is an imam in the mosque ,and has married two more wives after my friend's mum. When they were young and in love they both thot that religion is not a big deal , that said

looking at your last posts on other threads I dont think you have much religion on the mind  wink
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by Czarskit(m): 8:53pm On Apr 30, 2009
~ In Relationships:No. In marriages:Yes ~
Re: Should Religion Be A Criteria In Relationship Or Marriage. by jacktweed(m): 10:14pm On Apr 30, 2009
Thats why there should be more atheists couples. You won't have time to start worrying over some winches and mammy water spirits and holy water or worry about your son growing up to be a suicide bombing terrorists. grin

Being an Atheist couple gives you the right to have a free mind, devoid of hallucinations, dementia, fear and unnecessary cling on spirituality but to have time to raise your kids intelligently, teach them manners, obey the law of the land and banish all forms of spiritual fear from a child and stupidity such as believing a donkey spoke in the bible or a human being turned into a pillar of salt grin or better still bombing yourself so that 7 virgins would be waiting for you in a heaven grin

In short Religion should be banished to make way for rational and sensible relationships. Yes i forgot, the money used for tithes given to a sweet talking swash buckling firebranding pastor will effectively be saved every sunday in a bank for our children and when they are 21, they will become instant millionaires instead of worrying where their next meal will come from and seeing the pastor so rich from his own tithes and travelling in gulf 4 stream jets grin

(1) (Reply)

Guys In Real Love / My Brother Has 3 Girlfriends . How Does He Remove 2? / The Power Of A Woman By Femi Fani-kayode, An Interesting Read !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.